of 74

2021-09-02 11:05 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by JBacarellaI've been experimenting with the Maurten products lately. I've decided I like the gel (more like jello) more than the standard gels. The primary reason is it's not sticky. I always get gel on myself and it drives me crazy to have sticky hands. The flavor isn't great, but I think all gels taste like snot. It's weird to get used to the thick jello consistency. I end up chewing it. I also tried the drink mix and it was horrible. It tasted like alka-seltzer cold medicine. Just nasty. I tried the energy gum. It was okay. The flavor doesn't last long.
This does not sound like a good review ??

haha, no it doesn't!!

2021-09-02 1:40 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Thanks so much everyone!!

It was kind of a crazy day conditions-wise. Originally it looked like the swim might be cancelled with thunderstorms predicted in the morning but the forecast had changed and that moved to later in the day. Swim was good. I swam wide of the buoys on the one side and definitely added distance i didn't need to. I got out on the bike and within 10 minutes it was raining and then it was pouring rain with thunder and lightning. That lasted until just before the half way mark. I was really glad i had tri bike shoes as i could feel the water running out of them. So wet.

Then the sun and heat decided to come out - and by the time i got back to start running it was well over 30C (86F) with a full, blazing sun and a run course that is very hilly. I started running right out of transition and made it up the first two hills but it was so hot and i was already feeling it so i decided to mostly walk the uphills and aid stations. I ran in the last km or so and i could feel my quads wanting to lock up. 

I am so happy i got to do this! I definitely have lots of room to improve and won't belly ache about my time because i did what i could with the changing race options - i started and stopped training 3 times. 

Even getting an HIM done was quite a feat!  Moved from 2020 to 2021 to later in 2021 to a completely different HIM.  Way to stick with it!

2021-09-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Kind of a hectic weekend here. My wife was notified Thursday night that she was a "close contact" with a student of hers that came up positive for COVID. She started masking up at home and I slept on the couch just in case. Our schools are 'no mask mandates' for students or staff, but she wears one all day anyway and is vaccinated. She is at a very small school though and her entire staff masks. Hardly any students do though. I think they have about 80-90 students in the school and everyone is considered a 'close contact' because of the layout of the school, it is that small. If you are vaccinated, you can keep coming masked but need to test for up to 5 days I think. If you are unvaccinated, you have stay home for 5 days I think. They had to call all parents Thursday night. On Friday they only had 14 kids at school because our vax rates are so low here. She was there Frriday and masked and tested negative. Saturday she woke up and said she was simply exhausted. It got worse over the weekend, and she was essentially quarantined in the bedroom. She's been coughing, chest hurts, earache, exhaustion. She's now at a local clinic to get tested, which is essentially a parking lot of people apparently. The numbers are rapidly going up here. My bet is she is positive. Kids and I are fine, no issues whatsoever so far.

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that she is recovering well and that your family is doing well.

Took my son on Saturday to our local trails to mountain bike. We have been there a lot in the winter for cross-country skiing. He heard there was a 'single track' and wanted to try it. He loved it. I hated it. I liked the main trails, but moving slow through the woods and over tree roots was not my cup of tea. I felt bad because I think he'd like to do it more, but I probably wouldn't be the one going with him. I took him golfing Sunday though and we had a great day there. Working from home this week in the event I did catch something and am asymptomatic, I just don't want to pass on to co-workers. It sucks to see no end in sight to this mess that most of us seem to not really be concerned about until it actually hits their house.

Kevin and I divide and conquer. We go to a trailhead with both gravel/main trail and single track. He does single track, I do gravel. We meet up at a designated time.  Is your son old enough that this might work?

2021-09-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I've been experimenting with the Maurten products lately. I've decided I like the gel (more like jello) more than the standard gels. The primary reason is it's not sticky. I always get gel on myself and it drives me crazy to have sticky hands. The flavor isn't great, but I think all gels taste like snot. It's weird to get used to the thick jello consistency. I end up chewing it. I also tried the drink mix and it was horrible. It tasted like alka-seltzer cold medicine. Just nasty. I tried the energy gum. It was okay. The flavor doesn't last long.

You mean you don't like the flavor of alka-seltzer cold medicine?!

Seriously, very smart to know what you should/should not take from the feed zones.  I'm guessing that you will be skipping the drink mix offered on course?

2021-09-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5
Janyne - Tryon Gravel Gallop

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-09-02 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

Have fun!! I so wish I could ride this, too!

2021-09-02 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

Next year!

2021-09-02 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

Next year!

Its a deal!
2021-09-02 4:13 PM

Originally posted by alaskatri Kind of a hectic weekend here. My wife was notified Thursday night that she was a "close contact" with a student of hers that came up positive for COVID. She started masking up at home and I slept on the couch just in case. Our schools are 'no mask mandates' for students or staff, but she wears one all day anyway and is vaccinated. She is at a very small school though and her entire staff masks. Hardly any students do though. I think they have about 80-90 students in the school and everyone is considered a 'close contact' because of the layout of the school, it is that small. If you are vaccinated, you can keep coming masked but need to test for up to 5 days I think. If you are unvaccinated, you have stay home for 5 days I think. They had to call all parents Thursday night. On Friday they only had 14 kids at school because our vax rates are so low here. She was there Frriday and masked and tested negative. Saturday she woke up and said she was simply exhausted. It got worse over the weekend, and she was essentially quarantined in the bedroom. She's been coughing, chest hurts, earache, exhaustion. She's now at a local clinic to get tested, which is essentially a parking lot of people apparently. The numbers are rapidly going up here. My bet is she is positive. Kids and I are fine, no issues whatsoever so far.

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that she is recovering well and that your family is doing well.

Took my son on Saturday to our local trails to mountain bike. We have been there a lot in the winter for cross-country skiing. He heard there was a 'single track' and wanted to try it. He loved it. I hated it. I liked the main trails, but moving slow through the woods and over tree roots was not my cup of tea. I felt bad because I think he'd like to do it more, but I probably wouldn't be the one going with him. I took him golfing Sunday though and we had a great day there. Working from home this week in the event I did catch something and am asymptomatic, I just don't want to pass on to co-workers. It sucks to see no end in sight to this mess that most of us seem to not really be concerned about until it actually hits their house.

Kevin and I divide and conquer. We go to a trailhead with both gravel/main trail and single track. He does single track, I do gravel. We meet up at a designated time.  Is your son old enough that this might work?

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It has been quite a week, although we still don't know what to make of it. My wife went and coivd tested on Monday, and it came back a few hours later as negative. But she kept getting worse. Called doctor the next day and they said they did not want to see her in person because the test she did has a somewhat significant false negative rate. They referred her to the hospital to get what we call the "dig deep to scrape the inside of the back of your skull test." So she went down Tuesday morning and did that. Definitely not a pleasant experience. Those swabs have to go to a state lab up north apparently and take a few days, so we are still waiting on results. She has been in quarantine in the bedroom and the kids and I have been taking care of things out here. I worked from home all week, covering hearings on the phone and zoom. I can now say I am one of those people that go to work on zoom in a dress shirt up top and a pair of shorts down below, so I guess there is something to be said for that. We got an oxygen saturation monitor and her levels have been really good - 98%. She also still has taste although smell was pretty weak for a couple days and is coming back now. She feels better today and seems like she's pulling out pretty well of whatever it was. Hopefully another couple days and she'll be back up and running. She may very well have gotten something else, but man, talk about weird timing with her student having COVID.

As for the main track/short track, I think this will work once we get more familiar with the single track in the area. We ski the main trails in the winter and have a good idea of where those are. But it is a really big area with a lot of trail crossings, and I think he could potentially get lost if he came out somewhere he wasn't familiar. But that is what we ended up doing at the end and he was able to get back to the main entry area.

I was supposed to leave to go hunting today for a week, but obviously with my wife sick and getting backed up on some work stuff, it hasn't happened. We'll see how the next couple days pan out. I have a cabin starting Saturday night, so maybe things will still work out for it.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
2021-09-02 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

Go Janyne!

I am going to Marco Island for a family wedding that was postponed from November last year b/c COVID. Set for this time b/c there was no way we'd still be dealing with COVID stuff. Ha! We are way, way worse than November. At least we will be able to do things outside and everyone is vaccinated. Too bad it's summer in Florida and really not the time you want to have to do everything outside!

2021-09-02 4:33 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It has been quite a week, although we still don't know what to make of it. My wife went and coivd tested on Monday, and it came back a few hours later as negative. But she kept getting worse. Called doctor the next day and they said they did not want to see her in person because the test she did has a somewhat significant false negative rate. They referred her to the hospital to get what we call the "dig deep to scrape the inside of the back of your skull test." So she went down Tuesday morning and did that. Definitely not a pleasant experience. Those swabs have to go to a state lab up north apparently and take a few days, so we are still waiting on results. She has been in quarantine in the bedroom and the kids and I have been taking care of things out here. I worked from home all week, covering hearings on the phone and zoom. I can now say I am one of those people that go to work on zoom in a dress shirt up top and a pair of shorts down below, so I guess there is something to be said for that. We got an oxygen saturation monitor and her levels have been really good - 98%. She also still has taste although smell was pretty weak for a couple days and is coming back now. She feels better today and seems like she's pulling out pretty well of whatever it was. Hopefully another couple days and she'll be back up and running. She may very well have gotten something else, but man, talk about weird timing with her student having COVID. As for the main track/short track, I think this will work once we get more familiar with the single track in the area. We ski the main trails in the winter and have a good idea of where those are. But it is a really big area with a lot of trail crossings, and I think he could potentially get lost if he came out somewhere he wasn't familiar. But that is what we ended up doing at the end and he was able to get back to the main entry area. I was supposed to leave to go hunting today for a week, but obviously with my wife sick and getting backed up on some work stuff, it hasn't happened. We'll see how the next couple days pan out. I have a cabin starting Saturday night, so maybe things will still work out for it. Hope everyone is having a great week.

I'm happy to see your wife is getting better. I am amazed that test results take so much time! That has to be frustrating. Even the dig to the back of your skull tests that I've had to take for medical stuff I've gotten results within 12 hrs.  

2021-09-02 6:37 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

Good Luck Janyne
2021-09-02 6:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarellaI've been experimenting with the Maurten products lately. I've decided I like the gel (more like jello) more than the standard gels. The primary reason is it's not sticky. I always get gel on myself and it drives me crazy to have sticky hands. The flavor isn't great, but I think all gels taste like snot. It's weird to get used to the thick jello consistency. I end up chewing it. I also tried the drink mix and it was horrible. It tasted like alka-seltzer cold medicine. Just nasty. I tried the energy gum. It was okay. The flavor doesn't last long.
This does not sound like a good review ??

haha, no it doesn't!!

Clearly Maurten did not pay me for the endorsement. I didn't hate the the flavor of the gel and I do like that it is not sticky and it did digest easily enough. I will use the gel. I will definitely pass on the drink mix. The worst stuff I have tried. I need to stick with Tang and water.
2021-09-04 4:41 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by JBacarella

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

Good Luck Janyne

Yes have a great race Janyne!
2021-09-04 5:57 AM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Enjoy the race Janyne!
2021-09-05 3:31 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Janyne, how was your race? Also, what kind of camera do you have on your bike? I am thinking of getting one for Jim.

2021-09-08 2:48 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

On Monday I decided to skip my 3-hour bike ride with the Tri Club and hour brick run and to do some Labor Day virtual Races instead.  I picked two 5K courses with starting lines 1/2 mile from each other and ran them both in Course Record time.  They were my first virtual running events in 9-1/2 months and it has been 18 months since my last in-person running event.  I will be doing an in-person 10-mile running event on the 18th of September and wanted to get in a solid race simulation before then.  I was pretty please at breaking two 5K course records in the same morning.  It was the first time I have done that.  :-)

2021-09-08 3:57 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

On Monday I decided to skip my 3-hour bike ride with the Tri Club and hour brick run and to do some Labor Day virtual Races instead.  I picked two 5K courses with starting lines 1/2 mile from each other and ran them both in Course Record time.  They were my first virtual running events in 9-1/2 months and it has been 18 months since my last in-person running event.  I will be doing an in-person 10-mile running event on the 18th of September and wanted to get in a solid race simulation before then.  I was pretty please at breaking two 5K course records in the same morning.  It was the first time I have done that.  :-)

Wowsers, congrats, speedy guy!  That's seriously awesome!

2021-09-08 3:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh Janyne, how was your race? Also, what kind of camera do you have on your bike? I am thinking of getting one for Jim.

Yeah, Janyne, how was the race?

2021-09-08 5:27 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

Wowsers, congrats, speedy guy!  That's seriously awesome!

yes, congrats!!

2021-09-09 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Rough week coming into a race. Michelle had a at work come in with a cold. The lady is older and has the onset of dementia She kept coughing and pulling her mask down every time she coughed, she would pull down her mask. Michelle got sick Thursday, I came down with it Friday. Saturday we both got COVID tests (it was negative). I spent the last weekend before my race in bed and feeling like trash. I ran for the first time today. I think it cleaned the last of the congestion out of my lungs. I guess I should have bubbled wrapped two weeks ago. I am really well rested now, just looking for an upside.

2021-09-09 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Rough week coming into a race. Michelle had a at work come in with a cold. The lady is older and has the onset of dementia She kept coughing and pulling her mask down every time she coughed, she would pull down her mask. Michelle got sick Thursday, I came down with it Friday. Saturday we both got COVID tests (it was negative). I spent the last weekend before my race in bed and feeling like trash. I ran for the first time today. I think it cleaned the last of the congestion out of my lungs. I guess I should have bubbled wrapped two weeks ago. I am really well rested now, just looking for an upside.

You are well-rested and tapered and better to have a cold the weekend before than the weekend of! Sorry the 2 of you had to go through that though. 

2021-09-10 7:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Janyne, how was your race? Also, what kind of camera do you have on your bike? I am thinking of getting one for Jim.

The race was good. Next year, let's do it together!

I don't have a camera on my bike. Sorry :-(  I know several people who have the Cycliq (https://cycliq.com/) but I decided on the Varia radar instead (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/698001).  I figure with no front license plates in NC, it would be better to be proactive with the Varia.  I really like it.  

Clearly, I could go with the Cycliq front light though.  At the time I was shopping for a better rear light.

I also have a Bontrager Pro Ion/Flare combo.  The Ion is a strong front light. I asked for it for Christmas one year and Kevin got the Ion/Flare combo for me (the Flare is a rear light). It turns out that I like the Flare for gravel -- I trust that it will stay on and I don't need much/any info about cars. (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-front-lights/bontrager-ion-pro-rt-front-bike-light/p/22466/).  PSA: REI carries the Bontrager lights.  Maybe look for a sale or get REI cashback on them?

Edited by jmkizer 2021-09-10 7:42 AM
2021-09-10 7:43 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 4-5

Dooo eeettt!!!

Nicely done, Sir Speedy!

2021-09-10 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella Rough week coming into a race. Michelle had a at work come in with a cold. The lady is older and has the onset of dementia She kept coughing and pulling her mask down every time she coughed, she would pull down her mask. Michelle got sick Thursday, I came down with it Friday. Saturday we both got COVID tests (it was negative). I spent the last weekend before my race in bed and feeling like trash. I ran for the first time today. I think it cleaned the last of the congestion out of my lungs. I guess I should have bubbled wrapped two weeks ago. I am really well rested now, just looking for an upside.

You are well-rested and tapered and better to have a cold the weekend before than the weekend of! Sorry the 2 of you had to go through that though. 

^^^

What Ann-Marie said!  Well rested and ready to go!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74