BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-04-22 8:33 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by JBacarella I have my bib number. 1459. As always I will have my hype person/social media director and head of marketing Michelle Bacarella posting is Facebook Saturday If you follow me you can get her perspective

woo hoo! Have a great race! I am interested to see how the change in nutrition works for you.

2022-04-22 8:34 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Chattanooga participants -- do you follow The C.O.W.S. (Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers) on Facebook?  There is a little bit of pre race swim chat going on today.

looks like it’s a closed group and I don’t want to join another! Are they saying the swim is canceled 

2022-04-22 9:25 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Chattanooga participants -- do you follow The C.O.W.S. (Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers) on Facebook?  There is a little bit of pre race swim chat going on today.

looks like it’s a closed group and I don’t want to join another! Are they saying the swim is canceled 

Ugh, so you want me to copy/paste the whole thread?  :-/

Chickamauga Dam? Unless you need to practice with the current?

I’m from Nashville too and have been there several times to practice in years past. I always leave from Coolidge Park on the North side. Stay close to the shore and bring your own pilot. It’s a great swim!

Sydney's suggestion of the dam is one place. There is a TVA park just above the dam on the south shore, off of 153. Easy access and fairly low boat traffic if you stay within the buoys. Another location is to start at the small watercraft ramp under the Market St bridge in Coolidge Park. This is where COWS swim on Wednesday. Stay close to the North Shore and swim upstream, then downstream. Do not swim downstream from the ramp. Be aware of boat and barge traffic. Check TVA.gov for the current flow. Once you see a rate of 40k cfs or higher, most tri athletes will not want the upstream challenge. Remember the current is lower the closer to the shore you swim. Even 10-15' off the rocks is plenty deep. Look at the unofficial Ironman Chattanooga groups where I have posted extensively regarding swim practice for prior races.

If you want more than that, you'll have to join the group!

2022-04-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by JBacarella I have my bib number. 1459. As always I will have my hype person/social media director and head of marketing Michelle Bacarella posting is Facebook Saturday If you follow me you can get her perspective

Good luck.   I have commitments but am going to try to get over to watch part of the run.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-04-22 9:58 AM
2022-04-22 12:56 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Good luck.   I have commitments but am going to try to get over to watch part of the run.

Cheer for Jim for us!  It's one of the only times I can cheer for Michigan State ??

It sounds like it's gonna be a hot one 85-86 degree high temps, with wind gusts up to 30-35mph.  May the wind be always at your back and all that.

2022-04-22 1:15 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I think the heat is going to be a bigger factor than the wind tomorrow. 

2022-04-22 2:13 PM

Originally posted by JBacarella

I have my bib number. 1459. As always I will have my hype person/social media director and head of marketing Michelle Bacarella posting is Facebook Saturday If you follow me you can get her perspective

Good luck Jim!!! Will be following you on the IM app.
2022-04-22 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 23
Jim - Ironman Texas

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-04-22 4:41 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

April 23
Jim - Ironman Texas

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Good luck!! Have a great race and fantastic time!
2022-04-23 7:12 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jim is in the water! Go Jim! Go!

2022-04-23 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Jim is in the water! Go Jim! Go!

Swim, bike, run, GO!

2022-04-23 12:23 PM
in reply to: #5279172

Jim just passed the 40 mile mark on the bike. He's doing great!!!
2022-04-24 5:06 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by alaskatri

Jim just passed the 40 mile mark on the bike. He's doing great!!!

Well...any updates on Jim?
2022-04-24 6:20 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by canadarn2001
Originally posted by alaskatri Jim just passed the 40 mile mark on the bike. He's doing great!!!

His wife Michelle said: "Well, Jim made it just short of 74 miles on the bike and had to stop for medical. He’s okay now. The heat, humidity and wind were brutal today."

Tough to prepare for those conditions coming from Michigan.

Hang in there, Jim.  We're in your corner.

2022-04-24 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri Jim just passed the 40 mile mark on the bike. He's doing great!!!

His wife Michelle said: "Well, Jim made it just short of 74 miles on the bike and had to stop for medical. He’s okay now. The heat, humidity and wind were brutal today."

Heat and humidity are no joke even when you have them in your everyday training, so not being acclimated to it and then add in the brutal winds make for a very hard time.  But, if there's one thing we've learned about Jim, he will be back at it in no time. I suggest he pivots to Choo end of September. It won't be any cooler (probably), but I'll be there (probably)

2022-04-24 7:51 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I made it over to the IM Texas race finish on Saturday.  The finish area was great for spectators.  They finish right through a strip of restaurants with outdoor patio seating and you could walk 100 yards from the finish down to the waterway (or to the pedestrian bridge over the waterway) to watch the runners come by on their three-loop run.  They were running down one side of the river and back up the other so you could pretty much watch the finish line and two points on the run all from your patio table while ordering food.  Not that I sat down or ordered any food the whole time I was there.  The finish shoot came in perpendicular to the finish line then turned to the left and did a dog-leg 100 yards down one side of the street then back 100 yards to the finish.  So there was no chance of missing anyone as they came to the finish.  They come running straight towards you then ran away from you then back towards you.  They were not back places to watch the race.  I had need been to the finish line of an Ironman before.  It was really fun.  All the pros hung out for an hour or two before very many other people came in so it was like having VIP tickets with just the pros walking around talking with each other. 

I had five people I was tracking.  One was a Pro doing her first Triathlon that I got to spend a lot of time with at Kiwami Team Camp 6-weeks ago.  She dropped from #2 to #14 in the second half of the run.  She didn't stop to talk to anyone at the finish line and just went straight to the medical tent when she came in.  She was back up on her feet before I left so I said hi briefly on my out.  I didn't get the full story of what happened on the bike but think the wind was pretty brutal.  She said that she had never been is some much pain on a bike in her life and that her pain level was a 10.  I think that was from crosswinds (??? missed part of this).  She told me that on the run the problem was leg cramps.  I struggle with leg cramps in every triathlon I did for the first three years.  So I know how that goes.  The pros are superheroes so I sometimes think they are immune to heat exhaustion, dehydration, muscle cramps, etc.  I look at people like Molly Sidel and Ryan Hall who podium at the world level in their 2-3 Marathon and think they are invincible because I was still bonking every race when I was 2-3 races into my Marathon career.  It was still nice to see her finish her first IM. 

I also saw a guy from my running group finish his first IM on Saturday.  He had things go a lot better for him.  He finished in the 3rd place position for the M25-29 AG.  Then twenty minutes later a guy who was a later swim time got a chip time that was 0.02 seconds ahead of him and pushed him into 4th place.  That was unreal I have never seen that before.  He was saying that the guy who won it was probably not taking a Kona spot because he was probably going Pro.  So that left two guys ahead of him for AG Kona slots.  I told him if he missed getting a Kona slot by 0.02 seconds that he should protest since he was going to take it.  I know for a fact that the precision of the chip timing is not accurate enough to separate 0.02 seconds.  They would need a photo to see who broke the plane of the finish line first because the chip was probably not what broke the plan on either of them.  Since they started 20 minutes apart if they offer one a Kona slot and not the other if would not be fair.  I didn't hear how roll downs went today, but the text message sting sounds like he didn't get a slot.  He was talking about races for next year and they were the ones he said he would do if he didn't Kona Qualify.

I didn't see my other three people including James come in.  One finished at 14.5 hours and the other way after that (16.5 hours?).  The three that came in without problems we all Houston residents.  The two that struggle (the female Pro and James) were both from the way up north.  :-(  I am still impressed with James.  I have never completed a 2.4 miles swim or a 74-mile bike ride. The people out there on Saturday we all tough athletes. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-04-24 7:54 PM

2022-04-25 4:43 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I made it over to the IM Texas race finish on Saturday.  The finish area was great for spectators.  They finish right through a strip of restaurants with outdoor patio seating and you could walk 100 yards from the finish down to the waterway (or to the pedestrian bridge over the waterway) to watch the runners come by on their three-loop run.  They were running down one side of the river and back up the other so you could pretty much watch the finish line and two points on the run all from your patio table while ordering food.  Not that I sat down or ordered any food the whole time I was there.  The finish shoot came in perpendicular to the finish line then turned to the left and did a dog-leg 100 yards down one side of the street then back 100 yards to the finish.  So there was no chance of missing anyone as they came to the finish.  They come running straight towards you then ran away from you then back towards you.  They were not back places to watch the race.  I had need been to the finish line of an Ironman before.  It was really fun.  All the pros hung out for an hour or two before very many other people came in so it was like having VIP tickets with just the pros walking around talking with each other. 

I had five people I was tracking.  One was a Pro doing her first Triathlon that I got to spend a lot of time with at Kiwami Team Camp 6-weeks ago.  She dropped from #2 to #14 in the second half of the run.  She didn't stop to talk to anyone at the finish line and just went straight to the medical tent when she came in.  She was back up on her feet before I left so I said hi briefly on my out.  I didn't get the full story of what happened on the bike but think the wind was pretty brutal.  She said that she had never been is some much pain on a bike in her life and that her pain level was a 10.  I think that was from crosswinds (??? missed part of this).  She told me that on the run the problem was leg cramps.  I struggle with leg cramps in every triathlon I did for the first three years.  So I know how that goes.  The pros are superheroes so I sometimes think they are immune to heat exhaustion, dehydration, muscle cramps, etc.  I look at people like Molly Sidel and Ryan Hall who podium at the world level in their 2-3 Marathon and think they are invincible because I was still bonking every race when I was 2-3 races into my Marathon career.  It was still nice to see her finish her first IM. 

I also saw a guy from my running group finish his first IM on Saturday.  He had things go a lot better for him.  He finished in the 3rd place position for the M25-29 AG.  Then twenty minutes later a guy who was a later swim time got a chip time that was 0.02 seconds ahead of him and pushed him into 4th place.  That was unreal I have never seen that before.  He was saying that the guy who won it was probably not taking a Kona spot because he was probably going Pro.  So that left two guys ahead of him for AG Kona slots.  I told him if he missed getting a Kona slot by 0.02 seconds that he should protest since he was going to take it.  I know for a fact that the precision of the chip timing is not accurate enough to separate 0.02 seconds.  They would need a photo to see who broke the plane of the finish line first because the chip was probably not what broke the plan on either of them.  Since they started 20 minutes apart if they offer one a Kona slot and not the other if would not be fair.  I didn't hear how roll downs went today, but the text message sting sounds like he didn't get a slot.  He was talking about races for next year and they were the ones he said he would do if he didn't Kona Qualify.

I didn't see my other three people including James come in.  One finished at 14.5 hours and the other way after that (16.5 hours?).  The three that came in without problems we all Houston residents.  The two that struggle (the female Pro and James) were both from the way up north.  :-(  I am still impressed with James.  I have never completed a 2.4 miles swim or a 74-mile bike ride. The people out there on Saturday we all tough athletes. 

Wow! Thanks for the update. Hard to imagine training from humidity in Michigan when they still are getting snow at times this time of year!

Great job Jim!
2022-04-25 8:26 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wow! Thanks for the update. Hard to imagine training from humidity in Michigan when they still are getting snow at times this time of year! Great job Jim!

It sounds like the DNF rate may have been 18%.  That's very high.  Not Chattanooga 2016 hight (that was north of 25%) but right their with St. George 2012 and Louisville 2018.

2022-04-25 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow! Thanks for the update. Hard to imagine training from humidity in Michigan when they still are getting snow at times this time of year! Great job Jim!

It sounds like the DNF rate may have been 18%.  That's very high.  Not Chattanooga 2016 hight (that was north of 25%) but right their with St. George 2012 and Louisville 2018.

ugh!

2022-04-25 11:12 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I wondered what happened.  Jim, you are one tough dude to take on this race, hope you are feeling like yourself again soon!

2022-04-25 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Jim, sorry to hear things didn't work out for you. I agree, as someone with a lot of experience in hot humid conditions....I have no idea how one could even start to prepare for an early-season IM in hot, humid weather when it hasn't been warm in your training area for months. Plus wind, which just always makes everything harder on a bike. Ugh. Impressed that you made it as far as you did.

I was going to propose my 65 mile ride on Saturday as a "fun" weekend plan but kind of glad I didn't. Beautiful route and actually very nice weather for once, but it was BRUTAL! First time in ages that I have "bonked" and honestly wondered if I could finish a ride. I guess I hadn't really thought through what 3700+ feet of climbing means! Plus our group ended up split into two groups of very different speeds, and I ended up as the slowest person in the "fast" group, which was fine on the climbs (my strength) but meant I couldn't recover on the flats, when the others (all guys, all a little to a lot younger) were going faster than I wanted to go. That also meant I couldn't get in nutrition when I wanted/ needed to. Some of the ride was in a remote area with no cell coverage, so I didn't feel safe dropping back and riding solo or waiting till the others came along from behind. This was ALWAYS the situation with our club rides in Idaho when I was doing IM training, because I couldn't find any groups or buddies who did longer rides at a more moderate pace. But first time it's happened here. Just a function of who showed up that day, I guess. Here is a link to a video of part of the same ride a decade ago from some random person who is most likely still a member of the local bike club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXPGCjOTjM

On the plus side, I found a whole new potential area for riding and maybe pleasure drives for picnics, and also the turnoff for Coyote Creek, one of covered bridges that I've been trying to find. Actually just a mile or two up the road from an intersection we often pass on our group rides in the area! Thinking maybe I will treat Mom for Mother's Day at our favorite place in Veneta (in a converted old church), take the "scenic route" back via that road (she loves "Sunday driving"), and stop by to photograph the bridge.

Edited by Hot Runner 2022-04-25 9:11 PM

2022-04-26 10:48 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your support. This group is the best.
The second part of Saturday was rough for me. I'm happy with my swim and the "lake" wasn't as horrible as advertised (or not as dirty as the Ohio River). My wetsuit did contract a funky smell after.
The bike, wind and Texas heat are a whole different animal. I think I needed 5 space heaters under my bike, instead of one. The wind was rough, I've seen posts that had the average wind speed somewhere between 17 and 22 mph with gusts between 27 and 32 mph. The out was a grind, but the back wasn't fun either. Moving with the wind suddenly the heat became real. The wind that was beating me up was no longer cooling me off. My bike read an average temperature of 87F and a high of 95F. It's not a secrete that I melt like Frosty in the heat. Around mile 50 my stomach emptied (not by choice and with a force I had not experienced since college). I took a Zofran, but it was too late (it didn't stay where it was supposed to. I gutted it out, for another 22 miles and realized I couldn't track straight anymore. I've seen videos of drunk drivers going straighter than me. That is when I realized that it was dangerous for me to continue.
The first SAG truck was full, they had 6 athletes and bikes crammed into an F-150. I was picked up by a mechanic and he drove me to an aid station. I was checked out by medical and they decided I needed EMS. I waited almost half an hour for the ambulance. One of the volunteers let me call Michelle, so she knew I was okay. Turns out that was a good thing, because the waiter at the restaurant they had lunch at said "someone dies at this race every year." EMS decided I needed a ride in an ambulance to the medical tent. I was given an IV with Zofran on the way to medical. The medical personal hooked me up to the monitor, took a picture of my heart and then tested my blood to make sure I wasn't having something more than dehydration and heat exhaustion.
I finished my IV and they held me until I could hold chicken broth and was no longer dizzy.
I'm not sure I could have done anything differently. I followed my nutrition and hydration plan until I got sick. I had no idea I was going to get sick until it happened. I topped off my water bottle at every aid station and poured water on myself. I even stuffed my jersey with ice, but I could not get my body temp under control.
I'm disappointed I didn't finish, but I also realize that I did not have control over the conditions or my body's reaction. If I did it would have been 59F and a little rain on the run. Those seem to be my ideal conditions.
Thanks.
Jim
2022-04-26 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi Everyone, Thank you for your support. This group is the best. The second part of Saturday was rough for me. I'm happy with my swim and the "lake" wasn't as horrible as advertised (or not as dirty as the Ohio River). My wetsuit did contract a funky smell after. The bike, wind and Texas heat are a whole different animal. I think I needed 5 space heaters under my bike, instead of one. The wind was rough, I've seen posts that had the average wind speed somewhere between 17 and 22 mph with gusts between 27 and 32 mph. The out was a grind, but the back wasn't fun either. Moving with the wind suddenly the heat became real. The wind that was beating me up was no longer cooling me off. My bike read an average temperature of 87F and a high of 95F. It's not a secrete that I melt like Frosty in the heat. Around mile 50 my stomach emptied (not by choice and with a force I had not experienced since college). I took a Zofran, but it was too late (it didn't stay where it was supposed to. I gutted it out, for another 22 miles and realized I couldn't track straight anymore. I've seen videos of drunk drivers going straighter than me. That is when I realized that it was dangerous for me to continue. The first SAG truck was full, they had 6 athletes and bikes crammed into an F-150. I was picked up by a mechanic and he drove me to an aid station. I was checked out by medical and they decided I needed EMS. I waited almost half an hour for the ambulance. One of the volunteers let me call Michelle, so she knew I was okay. Turns out that was a good thing, because the waiter at the restaurant they had lunch at said "someone dies at this race every year." EMS decided I needed a ride in an ambulance to the medical tent. I was given an IV with Zofran on the way to medical. The medical personal hooked me up to the monitor, took a picture of my heart and then tested my blood to make sure I wasn't having something more than dehydration and heat exhaustion. I finished my IV and they held me until I could hold chicken broth and was no longer dizzy. I'm not sure I could have done anything differently. I followed my nutrition and hydration plan until I got sick. I had no idea I was going to get sick until it happened. I topped off my water bottle at every aid station and poured water on myself. I even stuffed my jersey with ice, but I could not get my body temp under control. I'm disappointed I didn't finish, but I also realize that I did not have control over the conditions or my body's reaction. If I did it would have been 59F and a little rain on the run. Those seem to be my ideal conditions. Thanks. Jim

I'm so happy you called it when you did and got yourself out of harm's way! I'm also glad you were able to call Michelle - especially after the lack of good judgment comment by the waiter. I recall having to take myself out of IM Lou 1/2 way through the run when hypothermia had me thinking all wacky and hyperventilating. The body reacts the way it's going to and we just need to make sure to listen. Funny how your ideal conditions are my danger conditions and your danger conditions are my normal (minus the wind) conditions.  

Take care of yourself!

2022-04-26 11:33 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi Everyone, Thank you for your support. This group is the best. The second part of Saturday was rough for me. I'm happy with my swim and the "lake" wasn't as horrible as advertised (or not as dirty as the Ohio River). My wetsuit did contract a funky smell after. The bike, wind and Texas heat are a whole different animal. I think I needed 5 space heaters under my bike, instead of one. The wind was rough, I've seen posts that had the average wind speed somewhere between 17 and 22 mph with gusts between 27 and 32 mph. The out was a grind, but the back wasn't fun either. Moving with the wind suddenly the heat became real. The wind that was beating me up was no longer cooling me off. My bike read an average temperature of 87F and a high of 95F. It's not a secrete that I melt like Frosty in the heat. Around mile 50 my stomach emptied (not by choice and with a force I had not experienced since college). I took a Zofran, but it was too late (it didn't stay where it was supposed to. I gutted it out, for another 22 miles and realized I couldn't track straight anymore. I've seen videos of drunk drivers going straighter than me. That is when I realized that it was dangerous for me to continue. The first SAG truck was full, they had 6 athletes and bikes crammed into an F-150. I was picked up by a mechanic and he drove me to an aid station. I was checked out by medical and they decided I needed EMS. I waited almost half an hour for the ambulance. One of the volunteers let me call Michelle, so she knew I was okay. Turns out that was a good thing, because the waiter at the restaurant they had lunch at said "someone dies at this race every year." EMS decided I needed a ride in an ambulance to the medical tent. I was given an IV with Zofran on the way to medical. The medical personal hooked me up to the monitor, took a picture of my heart and then tested my blood to make sure I wasn't having something more than dehydration and heat exhaustion. I finished my IV and they held me until I could hold chicken broth and was no longer dizzy. I'm not sure I could have done anything differently. I followed my nutrition and hydration plan until I got sick. I had no idea I was going to get sick until it happened. I topped off my water bottle at every aid station and poured water on myself. I even stuffed my jersey with ice, but I could not get my body temp under control. I'm disappointed I didn't finish, but I also realize that I did not have control over the conditions or my body's reaction. If I did it would have been 59F and a little rain on the run. Those seem to be my ideal conditions. Thanks. Jim

I'm so happy you called it when you did and got yourself out of harm's way! I'm also glad you were able to call Michelle - especially after the lack of good judgment comment by the waiter. I recall having to take myself out of IM Lou 1/2 way through the run when hypothermia had me thinking all wacky and hyperventilating. The body reacts the way it's going to and we just need to make sure to listen. Funny how your ideal conditions are my danger conditions and your danger conditions are my normal (minus the wind) conditions.  

Take care of yourself!

I remember what the conditions at IM Louisville did to you. I felt so bad for you. Conditions that you train in make a big difference on how your race goes. You can't predict weather when you sign up. The weather before and after would have been much better for me because it was cooler. If it was easy they would call it golf and not Ironman.
2022-04-26 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

Take care of yourself!

I remember what the conditions at IM Louisville did to you. I felt so bad for you. Conditions that you train in make a big difference on how your race goes. You can't predict weather when you sign up. The weather before and after would have been much better for me because it was cooler. If it was easy they would call it golf and not Ironman.

Too funny!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27507 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93