BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-04-26 1:21 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi Everyone, Thank you for your support. This group is the best. The second part of Saturday was rough for me....                         

...Thanks. Jim

Thanks for the report.  

2022-04-26 2:12 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi Everyone, Thank you for your support. This group is the best. The second part of Saturday was rough for me. I'm happy with my swim and the "lake" wasn't as horrible as advertised (or not as dirty as the Ohio River). My wetsuit did contract a funky smell after. The bike, wind and Texas heat are a whole different animal. I think I needed 5 space heaters under my bike, instead of one. The wind was rough, I've seen posts that had the average wind speed somewhere between 17 and 22 mph with gusts between 27 and 32 mph. The out was a grind, but the back wasn't fun either. Moving with the wind suddenly the heat became real. The wind that was beating me up was no longer cooling me off. My bike read an average temperature of 87F and a high of 95F. It's not a secrete that I melt like Frosty in the heat. Around mile 50 my stomach emptied (not by choice and with a force I had not experienced since college). I took a Zofran, but it was too late (it didn't stay where it was supposed to. I gutted it out, for another 22 miles and realized I couldn't track straight anymore. I've seen videos of drunk drivers going straighter than me. That is when I realized that it was dangerous for me to continue. The first SAG truck was full, they had 6 athletes and bikes crammed into an F-150. I was picked up by a mechanic and he drove me to an aid station. I was checked out by medical and they decided I needed EMS. I waited almost half an hour for the ambulance. One of the volunteers let me call Michelle, so she knew I was okay. Turns out that was a good thing, because the waiter at the restaurant they had lunch at said "someone dies at this race every year." EMS decided I needed a ride in an ambulance to the medical tent. I was given an IV with Zofran on the way to medical. The medical personal hooked me up to the monitor, took a picture of my heart and then tested my blood to make sure I wasn't having something more than dehydration and heat exhaustion. I finished my IV and they held me until I could hold chicken broth and was no longer dizzy. I'm not sure I could have done anything differently. I followed my nutrition and hydration plan until I got sick. I had no idea I was going to get sick until it happened. I topped off my water bottle at every aid station and poured water on myself. I even stuffed my jersey with ice, but I could not get my body temp under control. I'm disappointed I didn't finish, but I also realize that I did not have control over the conditions or my body's reaction. If I did it would have been 59F and a little rain on the run. Those seem to be my ideal conditions. Thanks. Jim

I'm so happy you called it when you did and got yourself out of harm's way! I'm also glad you were able to call Michelle - especially after the lack of good judgment comment by the waiter. I recall having to take myself out of IM Lou 1/2 way through the run when hypothermia had me thinking all wacky and hyperventilating. The body reacts the way it's going to and we just need to make sure to listen. Funny how your ideal conditions are my danger conditions and your danger conditions are my normal (minus the wind) conditions.  

Take care of yourself!

Good call. The best thing that you can do is listen to your body. {{hugs}}

2022-04-26 3:07 PM

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella Hi Everyone, Thank you for your support. This group is the best.

I remember what the conditions at IM Louisville did to you. I felt so bad for you. Conditions that you train in make a big difference on how your race goes. You can't predict weather when you sign up. The weather before and after would have been much better for me because it was cooler. If it was easy they would call it golf and not Ironman.

Glad you called it when you did. The heat and humidity can certainly get to folks that are not used to that.

Funny you should mention golf. We are planning a trip back to Hawaii next year when my daughter will be on Spring Break from college. That Sunday will be Lavaman, an olympic distance tri. I am considering signing up for it (if there are slots and logistics are realistic), but am also worried about the heat and humidity. When we were there this year, my son and I played a round of golf north of Kona in Waikiloa, which is where the triathlons bike through. These are the lava fields where heat and winds are brutal in the Kona race. My son was melting, and every few holes, we found a sprinkler to walk through. We played most of our round looking like we just showered in our clothes. It was very un-golf like. But the heat and humidity was so much for us. As I contemplate the race, even an olympic, I realize there is simply no way for me to train for those conditions while up in Alaska, especially through the winter/early spring months.

When I saw your post "if it was easy they would call it golf and not Ironman," my first thought was "I barely survived golf in those conditions." :-) Good on you for making it as far as you did, and glad you came out the other side to tell about it.

2022-04-27 8:56 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your support. This group is the best.
The second part of Saturday was rough for me. I'm happy with my swim and the "lake" wasn't as horrible as advertised (or not as dirty as the Ohio River). My wetsuit did contract a funky smell after.
The bike, wind and Texas heat are a whole different animal. I think I needed 5 space heaters under my bike, instead of one. The wind was rough, I've seen posts that had the average wind speed somewhere between 17 and 22 mph with gusts between 27 and 32 mph. The out was a grind, but the back wasn't fun either. Moving with the wind suddenly the heat became real. The wind that was beating me up was no longer cooling me off. My bike read an average temperature of 87F and a high of 95F. It's not a secrete that I melt like Frosty in the heat. Around mile 50 my stomach emptied (not by choice and with a force I had not experienced since college). I took a Zofran, but it was too late (it didn't stay where it was supposed to. I gutted it out, for another 22 miles and realized I couldn't track straight anymore. I've seen videos of drunk drivers going straighter than me. That is when I realized that it was dangerous for me to continue.
The first SAG truck was full, they had 6 athletes and bikes crammed into an F-150. I was picked up by a mechanic and he drove me to an aid station. I was checked out by medical and they decided I needed EMS. I waited almost half an hour for the ambulance. One of the volunteers let me call Michelle, so she knew I was okay. Turns out that was a good thing, because the waiter at the restaurant they had lunch at said "someone dies at this race every year." EMS decided I needed a ride in an ambulance to the medical tent. I was given an IV with Zofran on the way to medical. The medical personal hooked me up to the monitor, took a picture of my heart and then tested my blood to make sure I wasn't having something more than dehydration and heat exhaustion.
I finished my IV and they held me until I could hold chicken broth and was no longer dizzy.
I'm not sure I could have done anything differently. I followed my nutrition and hydration plan until I got sick. I had no idea I was going to get sick until it happened. I topped off my water bottle at every aid station and poured water on myself. I even stuffed my jersey with ice, but I could not get my body temp under control.
I'm disappointed I didn't finish, but I also realize that I did not have control over the conditions or my body's reaction. If I did it would have been 59F and a little rain on the run. Those seem to be my ideal conditions.
Thanks.
Jim

It's always disappointing not to finish but you did the right thing. That heat scares the hell outta me. Way to give it your all!

Rest up! It's a long summer
2022-04-29 1:30 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1
Anne - Tour of Hermann gravel both days
Curtis - National USAT Standard Distance non-drafting Duathlon on Saturday
Janyne - Raven Rock Ramble 100k on Sunday

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-04-29 1:39 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Nice line-up of events!  Go out and doooo eeeetttt Manatess!

2022-05-01 4:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Cannot wait for an update on all these events this weekend!
2022-05-01 12:28 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I hope everyone had fun and successful events! If you didn't perhaps this article can explain why! JK, I'm sure you all were great. But, the article is interesting. It's about the science of mental toughness and how it is probably way more important than we think. Spoiler alert: our brains give in before our muscles are really done. There's more to it than that, but that's the general takeaway. 

2022-05-02 8:27 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I hope everyone had fun and successful events! If you didn't perhaps this article can explain why! JK, I'm sure you all were great. But, the article is interesting. It's about the science of mental toughness and how it is probably way more important than we think. Spoiler alert: our brains give in before our muscles are really done. There's more to it than that, but that's the general takeaway. 

wannabefaster on BT (Jason) had said that in a forum I was in before I did my first and that always stuck with me.

in related news, I had a dream about IMAZ last night - which is very odd. I haven't ever given AZ much thought and certainly haven't been near anyone talking about it or thinking about it etc that I'm aware of!?
2022-05-02 9:11 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Cypress, Texas

I did well at the National Duathlon meet.  I was 2nd place in my age group. 

2022-05-02 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I'd say you did well! Congratulations!!

2022-05-02 11:13 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Fantastic!!  Truly a great result, congratulations!

2022-05-02 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Racing Manatees!!!

April 30-May 1

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

wannabefaster on BT (Jason) had said that in a forum I was in before I did my first and that always stuck with me. in related news, I had a dream about IMAZ last night - which is very odd. I haven't ever given AZ much thought and certainly haven't been near anyone talking about it or thinking about it etc that I'm aware of!?

It's an omen!

2022-05-02 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo!

Does this mean that you are going to Ibiza, Spain???

2022-05-02 12:31 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by melbo55

WOOT WOOT!
2022-05-02 9:00 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by melbo55

WOOT WOOT!

Yay!! huge congrats!

2022-05-02 9:03 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your support. This group is the best.
The second part of Saturday was rough for me. I'm happy with my swim and the "lake" wasn't as horrible as advertised (or not as dirty as the Ohio River). My wetsuit did contract a funky smell after.
The bike, wind and Texas heat are a whole different animal. I think I needed 5 space heaters under my bike, instead of one. The wind was rough, I've seen posts that had the average wind speed somewhere between 17 and 22 mph with gusts between 27 and 32 mph. The out was a grind, but the back wasn't fun either. Moving with the wind suddenly the heat became real. The wind that was beating me up was no longer cooling me off. My bike read an average temperature of 87F and a high of 95F. It's not a secrete that I melt like Frosty in the heat. Around mile 50 my stomach emptied (not by choice and with a force I had not experienced since college). I took a Zofran, but it was too late (it didn't stay where it was supposed to. I gutted it out, for another 22 miles and realized I couldn't track straight anymore. I've seen videos of drunk drivers going straighter than me. That is when I realized that it was dangerous for me to continue.
The first SAG truck was full, they had 6 athletes and bikes crammed into an F-150. I was picked up by a mechanic and he drove me to an aid station. I was checked out by medical and they decided I needed EMS. I waited almost half an hour for the ambulance. One of the volunteers let me call Michelle, so she knew I was okay. Turns out that was a good thing, because the waiter at the restaurant they had lunch at said "someone dies at this race every year." EMS decided I needed a ride in an ambulance to the medical tent. I was given an IV with Zofran on the way to medical. The medical personal hooked me up to the monitor, took a picture of my heart and then tested my blood to make sure I wasn't having something more than dehydration and heat exhaustion.
I finished my IV and they held me until I could hold chicken broth and was no longer dizzy.
I'm not sure I could have done anything differently. I followed my nutrition and hydration plan until I got sick. I had no idea I was going to get sick until it happened. I topped off my water bottle at every aid station and poured water on myself. I even stuffed my jersey with ice, but I could not get my body temp under control.
I'm disappointed I didn't finish, but I also realize that I did not have control over the conditions or my body's reaction. If I did it would have been 59F and a little rain on the run. Those seem to be my ideal conditions.
Thanks.
Jim

It's always disappointing not to finish but you did the right thing. That heat scares the hell outta me. Way to give it your all!

Rest up! It's a long summer

The season is not over, and at least you have had some of the 2022 season experience, includig some important decision making. We are cheering for you!!
2022-05-03 7:19 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I can't believe I'm saying this: we are considering IMAZ for this year.
2022-05-03 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I can't believe I'm saying this: we are considering IMAZ for this year.

Of course you are! Omens!!!

2022-05-03 10:34 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Woo hoo!

I went ahead and claimed my spot so I would have the option, but at this point, I don't know.  My only time to the Mediterranean Sea was in 1997 when I traveled to Italy with my Humanities teacher on an Art Trip.  I loved the area and wanted to go back someday.  Also, when I got my Spanish Degree I was going to treat myself to a graduation gift and make a Trip to Spain.  I didn't have a job when I graduated and thought I better get the job before I took the trip.  Well...when I found a Job they wanted me to start the next week, so I still owe myself a trip to Spain. Ibiza would fit a lot of the bucket list items. 

My Teammate (also from NC, I see that you two both ride in Umstead on the same routes) has done Duathlon Worlds that past couple of years.  She was 6th overall in the Women's field and will be going to Ibiza.  She has filled me in on some of the details of making a Worlds trip and so if I do go I will have the built-in support of a teammate in-the-know to make everything go smoothly.  

2022-05-03 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo!

I went ahead and claimed my spot so I would have the option, but at this point, I don't know.  My only time to the Mediterranean Sea was in 1997 when I traveled to Italy with my Humanities teacher on an Art Trip.  I loved the area and wanted to go back someday.  Also, when I got my Spanish Degree I was going to treat myself to a graduation gift and make a Trip to Spain.  I didn't have a job when I graduated and thought I better get the job before I took the trip.  Well...when I found a Job they wanted me to start the next week, so I still owe myself a trip to Spain. Ibiza would fit a lot of the bucket list items. 

My Teammate (also from NC, I see that you two both ride in Umstead on the same routes) has done Duathlon Worlds that past couple of years.  She was 6th overall in the Women's field and will be going to Ibiza.  She has filled me in on some of the details of making a Worlds trip and so if I do go I will have the built-in support of a teammate in-the-know to make everything go smoothly.  

Very exciting stuff! It's super fun that it's even a possibility!

2022-05-03 1:46 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Roll call for Chatty 70.3? Who else will be there with me? 

2022-05-03 2:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by lisac957

Sorry, I was supposed to be there but bailed out for a variety of reasons.  Hope you have a great experience and a great race, can't wait to hear all about it!

2022-05-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

I'm supposed to be there - still having a hard time getting psyched up to do it! 

2022-05-03 4:41 PM

User image

Expert

Woo hoo!

Very exciting stuff! It's super fun that it's even a possibility!

Super Cool! My vote that does not could says Do it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27294 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93