BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-07-25 11:03 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by alaskatri I haven't checked in here in a bit. We just spent the week catching and processing about 60 salmon to put in the freezer for the year with nets. Now apparently the fish numbers are even higher - they've been pretty insane this year - so we are going to spend the next bit of time out with rod and reel. Hope everyone's summer is going well!!!
Salmon, mmmmmmmm!!!!

2022-07-25 12:10 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by alaskatri I haven't checked in here in a bit. We just spent the week catching and processing about 60 salmon to put in the freezer for the year with nets. Now apparently the fish numbers are even higher - they've been pretty insane this year - so we are going to spend the next bit of time out with rod and reel. Hope everyone's summer is going well!!!
Salmon, mmmmmmmm!!!!

My daughter likes to weigh all of our fillets down to the ounce once packaged. Then we do a guessing game to see who can get closest. We ended last week with 123 lbs., 7 ounces.

Salmon, mmmmmmmm!!!!

My daughter likes to weigh all of our fillets down to the ounce once packaged. Then we do a guessing game to see who can get closest. We ended last week with 123 lbs., 7 ounces.

Salmon, mmmmmmmm!!!!

in reply to: 0

edit to delete double post

Edited by alaskatri 2022-07-27 12:06 PM
2022-07-25 12:20 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

Salmon, mmmmmmmm!!!!

That's a very impressive amount!

2022-07-25 5:19 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
WOW! Salmon is a popular fish here, but not that kind of volume!
2022-07-25 5:26 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I've found a shoe I really like. Hoka Mach 5. They are made for sockless running, light and daughter approved. I've been running with them for two weeks. Not hot spots, no blisters and no rubbing. They are as comfortable as Zoot, but with better support than what they have out now. The only question left is how long will they hold up?
2022-07-25 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I bought some and really liked them and even bought another pair on sale, but a few weeks later developed what feels like tendinitis or a strain in one hip flexor. Not sure if that is connected to the shoes or not, but running in those shoes, running uphill, and prolonged sitting, seem to aggravate it most. I'm fine running in the Rincon (my previous favored Hoka), just a bit sore afterward, but the Mach 5's just don't seem to agree with me right now. I feel like they change my run biomechanics in some way and that's putting extra strain on something. Or maybe these are just unrelated issues. Who knows? Hoping I can get some use out of them at some point.
2022-07-26 7:39 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I bought some and really liked them and even bought another pair on sale, but a few weeks later developed what feels like tendinitis or a strain in one hip flexor. Not sure if that is connected to the shoes or not, but running in those shoes, running uphill, and prolonged sitting, seem to aggravate it most. I'm fine running in the Rincon (my previous favored Hoka), just a bit sore afterward, but the Mach 5's just don't seem to agree with me right now. I feel like they change my run biomechanics in some way and that's putting extra strain on something. Or maybe these are just unrelated issues. Who knows? Hoping I can get some use out of them at some point.

It is hard to tell if it's coincidence or the shoe. The shoe may be throwing something off with your gate or may have caused something to surface, that has been lingering. If it's in your head that it's the shoe, then it's the shoe. You will always be leery. I have had that issue with certain shoes and my issues with my Achilles. I would get a new shoe and then have a flare up and the shoes sat until donated.
It appears that my Achilles tendonitis might have been gout also, or it might be the medication for gout also settles down tendonitis. The one thing I know, is I will probably become a PITB for my daughter once she graduates. Or I will be her on-going research subject. Not quite sure how that will work out. It will be nice to have a bonified foot expert in the family.
2022-07-26 10:09 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What I could really use is a good massage to get the kinks out. I can kind of feel that the whole kinetic chain of lower back and hips just feels tight, probably from increased hill and big gear work, and aero riding. But obviously there's been no massage to be had with track Worlds in town recently and still feel like that kind of close contact in a small room isn't worth the Covid risk. Hoping they have something outside post-race in Calgary (on Sunday--OMG).

2022-07-27 6:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by Hot Runner I bought some and really liked them and even bought another pair on sale, but a few weeks later developed what feels like tendinitis or a strain in one hip flexor. Not sure if that is connected to the shoes or not, but running in those shoes, running uphill, and prolonged sitting, seem to aggravate it most. I'm fine running in the Rincon (my previous favored Hoka), just a bit sore afterward, but the Mach 5's just don't seem to agree with me right now. I feel like they change my run biomechanics in some way and that's putting extra strain on something. Or maybe these are just unrelated issues. Who knows? Hoping I can get some use out of them at some point.
It is hard to tell if it's coincidence or the shoe. The shoe may be throwing something off with your gate or may have caused something to surface, that has been lingering. If it's in your head that it's the shoe, then it's the shoe. You will always be leery. I have had that issue with certain shoes and my issues with my Achilles. I would get a new shoe and then have a flare up and the shoes sat until donated. It appears that my Achilles tendonitis might have been gout also, or it might be the medication for gout also settles down tendonitis. The one thing I know, is I will probably become a PITB for my daughter once she graduates. Or I will be her on-going research subject. Not quite sure how that will work out. It will be nice to have a bonified foot expert in the family.

I'm glad that these are working out for you!

2022-07-27 6:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner What I could really use is a good massage to get the kinks out. I can kind of feel that the whole kinetic chain of lower back and hips just feels tight, probably from increased hill and big gear work, and aero riding. But obviously there's been no massage to be had with track Worlds in town recently and still feel like that kind of close contact in a small room isn't worth the Covid risk. Hoping they have something outside post-race in Calgary (on Sunday--OMG).

I heard from a massage therapist that 20% of licensed massage folks in NC did not renew their license during covid. My preferred person is no longer doing massage, she works for a hospital now (I think doing medical transcription). Those who are still in business are very difficult to book and/or are not taking new clients.

2022-07-27 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I've found a shoe I really like. Hoka Mach 5. They are made for sockless running, light and daughter approved. I've been running with them for two weeks. Not hot spots, no blisters and no rubbing. They are as comfortable as Zoot, but with better support than what they have out now. The only question left is how long will they hold up?

Winning!

2022-07-27 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Hot Runner What I could really use is a good massage to get the kinks out. I can kind of feel that the whole kinetic chain of lower back and hips just feels tight, probably from increased hill and big gear work, and aero riding. But obviously there's been no massage to be had with track Worlds in town recently and still feel like that kind of close contact in a small room isn't worth the Covid risk. Hoping they have something outside post-race in Calgary (on Sunday--OMG).

I heard from a massage therapist that 20% of licensed massage folks in NC did not renew their license during covid. My preferred person is no longer doing massage, she works for a hospital now (I think doing medical transcription). Those who are still in business are very difficult to book and/or are not taking new clients.

I haven't had a massage in 2.5 years either and I really don't see a difference! I have a massage gun, but rarely use it.   I did recently buy a chirp wheel when it was on sale and do like the stretch it gives my back. But other than that, I am really bad at stretching or doing any mobility exercises.  I probably should add some mobility stuff into my routine - just need to find the time (and the desire).

2022-07-27 8:09 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I haven't had a massage in 2.5 years either and I really don't see a difference! I have a massage gun, but rarely use it.   I did recently buy a chirp wheel when it was on sale and do like the stretch it gives my back. But other than that, I am really bad at stretching or doing any mobility exercises.  I probably should add some mobility stuff into my routine - just need to find the time (and the desire).

I try to do a few minutes a day of *something* -- massage gun or foam roller or stretching or yoga. I have a hard time committing to more than that but if I drop it to zero for too long, I notice it, especially around my hips.

2022-07-27 8:10 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Checking in.  I was on vacation for 15 days straight this month. It started to get hot in town about a 3-4 weeks before we left town and I also got a new pair of shoes 3-4 weeks before we left town and started a new training plan 3-4 weeks before we left town.  So I don't know if it was the new plan, the next shoes, or the warmer weather, but I was feeling real stretched in training and not able to hit the goals of any of my workouts.  So I decided to take things easy on vacation.  I took my old trail running shoes that had about 500 miles on them and did a total of 5 work outs in 15 days.  The weather was much cooler, I was very rested for every workout, and I had a pair if shoes that I knew I could run well in.  What I did over my break seemed to work I was sailoing through all the workouts and exceeding all the training goals by huge margins.  So I am back in town and did a workout last night that was in the new shoes, in the hot humid climate, and was my 4th training session in 2 days.  I hit all the goals in that workout and didn't kill myself to do it.  So...time off was good to me.  My next race is in 9 weeks. It will be my first Triathlon with an ocean swim.  It is a Sprint distance race with a $2,500 in prize month for the top 10 male/females.  :-)

Oh....we drove from Houston to Oregon for our vacation.  We camped in state parks and national parks all across the country seeing Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Jedidiah Smith/Redwoods National Parks, and Crator Lake.

2022-07-27 8:15 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Checking in.  I was on vacation for 15 days straight this month. It started to get hot in town about a 3-4 weeks before we left town and I also got a new pair of shoes 3-4 weeks before we left town and started a new training plan 3-4 weeks before we left town.  So I don't know if it was the new plan, the next shoes, or the warmer weather, but I was feeling real stretched in training and not able to hit the goals of any of my workouts.  So I decided to take things easy on vacation.  I took my old trail running shoes that had about 500 miles on them and did a total of 5 work outs in 15 days.  The weather was much cooler, I was very rested for every workout, and I had a pair if shoes that I knew I could run well in.  What I did over my break seemed to work I was sailoing through all the workouts and exceeding all the training goals by huge margins.  So I am back in town and did a workout last night that was in the new shoes, in the hot humid climate, and was my 4th training session in 2 days.  I hit all the goals in that workout and didn't kill myself to do it.  So...time off was good to me.  My next race is in 9 weeks. It will be my first Triathlon with an ocean swim.  It is a Sprint distance race with a $2,500 in prize month for the top 10 male/females.  :-)

Oh....we drove from Houston to Oregon for our vacation.  We camped in state parks and national parks all across the country seeing Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Jedidiah Smith/Redwoods National Parks, and Crator Lake.

You just made me really jealous!!  I'm glad the vacation worked to restore and revitalize you. Good luck with your race - fingers crossed you get some of that prize money!

2022-07-27 12:45 PM

User image

Expert

I try to do a few minutes a day of *something* -- massage gun or foam roller or stretching or yoga. I have a hard time committing to more than that but if I drop it to zero for too long, I notice it, especially around my hips.

I'm not sure if I'm admitting to a guilty pleasure or not, and it certainly isn't a sports massage, but I like to go to the Reflexology Place in the mall for a casual massage. It appears clean (I tell myself over and over again) and it loosens up my muscles. Please don't judge me.
2022-07-27 12:48 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

You just made me really jealous!!  I'm glad the vacation worked to restore and revitalize you. Good luck with your race - fingers crossed you get some of that prize money!

That sounds like a great vacation! Sometimes our body needs a reset.
2022-07-29 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31
Karen - IM Calgary 70.3 on Sunday

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-07-29 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Yay, Karen!! Have a blast!

I'm giving Teddy a bath, does that count as fun?  

2022-07-29 12:40 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good Luck Karen!
2022-07-29 12:41 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Good luck Karen!

2022-07-29 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

July 30-31

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

GO Karen!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27509 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93