Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-03-05 9:52 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
I had the same issue with the 400 IM. It would have been my best event (except for the 1650) as I was a good distance swimmer and decent at fly and back but....I basically come to a stop when I do breaststroke. The masters coach is always telling me I have good technique. But I don't GO anywhere. Not sure what the problem is--maybe body type or (lack of) muscle strength? I definitely don't have the ideal body build for fly but it's always been passable, maybe because despite my utter lack of upper-body bulk, I seem to have a strong core and good rhythm. But apparently there are no such compensating abilities for breaststroke!

I agree--most of the training benefits of fly for most triathletes would actually come from mastering dolphin kick. The benefits of mastering the stroke would mainly be marginal gains to strength and cardio for swimmers who are already strong at freestyle.

2023-03-06 10:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner Butterfly advice!

I did a few years of group swim lessons as a kid.  We never learned the butter fly though.  They saved that for though who joined the competitive swim team which I never did.  We didn't learn the Breast Stroke either (just front stroke, side stroke, back stroke).  I learned the breastoke last year.  Officially I am supposed to be doing some of that in every swim workout to develop another stroke, but I haven't been working on it recently.  The Butterfly is the next stroke I need to learn.  :-) This looks very helpful. 

2023-03-06 3:17 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you all for your dolphin and butterfly advice! I will start with the kick and see how it "fly's"

I am super sorry for those who got Covid and/or any other types of cold! Rest and recover quickly!
2023-03-10 9:25 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy Friday everyone! I hope you all have a nice weather for training, relaxing, and/or just enjoying life
2023-03-11 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I can't do Choo 70.3, timing does not work out. I am looking at IM Steelhead 70.3 in June and IM Sandusky 70.3 in July. Visiting kids, 2 graduating and vacations are making it hard to schedule. I might run the Detroit international marathon in October. I am also thinking of competing in Michigan senior Olympics. It's kind of weird to say, but based on historic times, I think I could qualify for Nationals in time trial. Registration isn't until May and games are in August. It's also weird to say I am old enough to compete in the Senior Olympics.

Edited by JBacarella 2023-03-11 2:43 PM
2023-03-12 11:34 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Oh no Jim. I am sad about CHOO as I was looking forward to meeting you!

But...the senior games seem fun. there is lady here in Wilmington who competes and has done very well. I say go for it!

2023-03-13 6:30 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I can't do Choo 70.3, timing does not work out. I am looking at IM Steelhead 70.3 in June and IM Sandusky 70.3 in July. Visiting kids, 2 graduating and vacations are making it hard to schedule. I might run the Detroit international marathon in October. I am also thinking of competing in Michigan senior Olympics. It's kind of weird to say, but based on historic times, I think I could qualify for Nationals in time trial. Registration isn't until May and games are in August. It's also weird to say I am old enough to compete in the Senior Olympics.

I think you should definitely DOO EEETTT re senior games! 

2023-03-13 8:06 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

NCAA Men's Basketball tournament bracket invitation -- all are welcome to join!

2023-03-13 8:57 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Joined! I have watched 0 seconds of NCAA (and pro) basketball this season, so I am sure my picks are all winners

2023-03-13 9:04 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Joined! I have watched 0 seconds of NCAA (and pro) basketball this season, so I am sure my picks are all winners

haha! Well, the seeding certainly provides some clues to start you out.  Jim will tell you to pick Michigan State so there is that.

Oh, and I can't pick Alabama with that whole murder thing going on.

2023-03-13 11:51 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Will join later when I have time to fill out the brackets.  I also watched zero minutes of NCAA basket ball this season, but is is something that I really enjoy and was just thinking the other day that it was March  and wondered if I had totally missed March Madness since some years the whole tournament has been played in February with only the final four playing into March.  

I did see some NBA basket ball this year though.  I was with my family at the Dallas Mav vs. NY Knicks game at the end of December in Dallas and saw one of the most exciting games of my life.  The Mav's were down by about 10 points with less than two minutes of play and there were people walk out early to beat the traffic jam in the parking lot.  Then the Mavs hit a pair a 3's to put it with in 4 points and with a few trades at the foul time and another 3 pointer from Dallas they had the ball down by 3 with 7 seconds left in the game.  Luka Doncic was fowled on a two point attempt with 3 seconds left in the game.  He hit the first one and intentionally missed the second shot, grabbed is own rebound, and hit a shot at the buzzer to send it into over time where they won the game.  Luka had 60 points in that game.  If I could only watch one game, I choose the right one.  Looking forward to more madness.  

2023-03-13 11:56 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Will join later when I have time to fill out the brackets.  I also watched zero minutes of NCAA basket ball this season, but is is something that I really enjoy and was just thinking the other day that it was March  and wondered if I had totally missed March Madness since some years the whole tournament has been played in February with only the final four playing into March.  

I did see some NBA basket ball this year though.  I was with my family at the Dallas Mav vs. NY Knicks game at the end of December in Dallas and saw one of the most exciting games of my life.  The Mav's were down by about 10 points with less than two minutes of play and there were people walk out early to beat the traffic jam in the parking lot.  Then the Mavs hit a pair a 3's to put it with in 4 points and with a few trades at the foul time and another 3 pointer from Dallas they had the ball down by 3 with 7 seconds left in the game.  Luka Doncic was fowled on a two point attempt with 3 seconds left in the game.  He hit the first one and intentionally missed the second shot, grabbed is own rebound, and hit a shot at the buzzer to send it into over time where they won the game.  Luka had 60 points in that game.  If I could only watch one game, I choose the right one.  Looking forward to more madness.  

This should be fun!

2023-03-13 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella I can't do Choo 70.3, timing does not work out. I am looking at IM Steelhead 70.3 in June and IM Sandusky 70.3 in July. Visiting kids, 2 graduating and vacations are making it hard to schedule. I might run the Detroit international marathon in October. I am also thinking of competing in Michigan senior Olympics. It's kind of weird to say, but based on historic times, I think I could qualify for Nationals in time trial. Registration isn't until May and games are in August. It's also weird to say I am old enough to compete in the Senior Olympics.

I think you should definitely DOO EEETTT re senior games! 

x2! Go for it! 

2023-03-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I ran a 10k this weekend. I am happy i got out and did it. My training was not great - i really lost the mojo after getting covid in early January and then another cold a few weeks later. My body needed rest and we skied a lot as a family on the weekends. All excuses but at this point in my running life I have been at it for 18 years this year - i just want to get out and do it in a way that makes me feel good about my effort. 

I had signed up with a speedy friend and knew we wouldn't run together but she tagged in another friend who i met that day and we ran the whole thing together and chatted, despite a hard effort ... i love (and miss) social runs and it was on a nice waterfront path in the city where i went to university. All around a good time to get out. 

2023-03-13 2:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by juniperjen

I ran a 10k this weekend. I am happy i got out and did it. My training was not great - i really lost the mojo after getting covid in early January and then another cold a few weeks later. My body needed rest and we skied a lot as a family on the weekends. All excuses but at this point in my running life I have been at it for 18 years this year - i just want to get out and do it in a way that makes me feel good about my effort. 

I had signed up with a speedy friend and knew we wouldn't run together but she tagged in another friend who i met that day and we ran the whole thing together and chatted, despite a hard effort ... i love (and miss) social runs and it was on a nice waterfront path in the city where i went to university. All around a good time to get out. 

Love it, congratulations!  Waterfront run + friends = good stuff.

2023-03-13 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Sounds like a great run!

2023-03-13 6:46 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

This should be fun!

Bracket submitted with a joyful mix of some logic and some emotion. I'm confident I will be out by the great 8 haha
2023-03-13 6:52 PM

User image

Expert

Sounds like a great run!

Those races can be the most fun! I love making friends during a race.
2023-03-14 7:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Congrats!

Where did you go to school? McMaster?? My friend did the same race as you this weekend in Hamilton. She went to Mc Master and used to live in Guelph up until 2 years ago. She and her hubby are into triathlon and they moved to Collingwood. I think if I were to move back to Ontario, I would highly consider Collingwood. Trail running in the spring, summer and fall...downhill & X country skiing in the winter. They have the lake to do open water swimming and I am sure there is a big cycling group there. It seems like an "Ontario Dream City".

Have you ever ran the Around the Bay Road race?
2023-03-14 8:21 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

18 years of running is impressive.  I did Jr Track & Field growing up and one of the participant's father who would run with us told us that he wished that he had been a life time runner but that he let it slip away from him for many years and then had to make the hard road back to running later in life.  I made a goal to be a life time runner, but also let things slide a bit for a few years.  Life is way more fun when I am in good shape so enjoying what and am doing is the most important thing for me.  Finding new places to run, revisiting old places I have run, social runs, etc. and all make for good time.  Way to get out and do the race.     

2023-03-14 11:59 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by melbo55

Love it, congratulations!  Waterfront run + friends = good stuff.

^^^^^this! Glad you did it!

2023-03-17 1:56 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Congrats! Where did you go to school? McMaster?? My friend did the same race as you this weekend in Hamilton. She went to Mc Master and used to live in Guelph up until 2 years ago. She and her hubby are into triathlon and they moved to Collingwood. I think if I were to move back to Ontario, I would highly consider Collingwood. Trail running in the spring, summer and fall...downhill & X country skiing in the winter. They have the lake to do open water swimming and I am sure there is a big cycling group there. It seems like an "Ontario Dream City". Have you ever ran the Around the Bay Road race?

Yes, i did go to McMaster and it's a lovely place to go! And i would agree on Collingwood - there's a stretch there - just north of Toronto (Collingwood, Caledon, Barrie, maybe as far north as Orillia) that i would consider moving to more at retirement. I think i mentioned I did a ladies day at an XC ski place and it just seems better to embrace winter if you're going to live here anyway! They had this awesome place with XC skiing, snowshoeing and fat-tire biking and then in the summer it's MTB trails. There are definitely some amazing spots for the outdoorsy.  types. 

2023-03-20 11:09 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Not tri-related but sport-related: this weekend my ice hockey team had playoffs (needed to win Saturday to advance to finals Sunday) and we won the championship!  The best part of it all was it happened against a team that is very unsportsmanlike, chippy, whiny, and generally nasty and not fun to play.  Now I will switch my focus and try to get back to swimming, biking, running, and add in weight training.

2023-03-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Not tri-related but sport-related: this weekend my ice hockey team had playoffs (needed to win Saturday to advance to finals Sunday) and we won the championship!  The best part of it all was it happened against a team that is very unsportsmanlike, chippy, whiny, and generally nasty and not fun to play.  Now I will switch my focus and try to get back to swimming, biking, running, and add in weight training.

Congratulations!!!

2023-03-20 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Congratulations!!!

x2! Way to go! The sweet taste of victory

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33