United States
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m
Overall Rank = 3021/4300
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 110/124
Pre-race routine:

I didn't feel like getting up at the azzcrack of yesterday, so we slept until 6am. Got up, got dressed and went down for breakfast. English muffin, my own PB (they only had the reduced fat, non-trans whatever), and banana, coffee, and juice. Mixed Sustained Energy. 6:17 Sue walked in and said, 'You know transition closes at 7 .. .' Uh, no. Good information though! Bolt up the stairs to get my bag and come to a halt and my brain says: 'Settle. You're all packed. You know where everything is. You've just spent the last three months learning how to decompress from little shiz. Grab the pebble from your Master's palm.' So I do. But ... it's Juuuuuuuust A Little Bit Outside! So I grab my bag and KPT and we head off to Tranisition.

Walk in and the announcer says: 'If you're just getting to transition, you're really late.' Okay, boss.

Idiot racked next to me has set up under her rear tire rather than under mine. Whatever. Three chicks are standing around yakking, right where I need to set up. I said 'Excuse me.' Once. They didn't move so I used the fleshy albiet boney Red Bike God gave me to 'boomp!' them out of my way. They obviously did not get the memo that today is All About Me.

Get set up, grab my goggles and swim cap and wander back to KPT. He uses better pens to color my bodymarking and puts on my tatoos: BT, Hammerheads and Accelerade. As I write this on Tuesday, I'm still the property of Accerlade. Things won't come off!

We go back to the B&B and finish our (still warm) coffee.

Walked back and went to the start line.
Event warmup:

Isolated instances of elevated heart rate and a lot of aimless wandering about.
Swim
  • 44m 20s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a BEAUTIFUL melt down just prior to queing up. Had been hanging out on the beach with GTRSax, Sue, GatorGirl, BonBon, InfoSteward and some new folks who were really chatty and I was just having my stress.

They called my wave and I lost it. Shaking, crying ... I think I said something stupid to KPT like "I DON'T WANT TO BE A TRIATHLETE ANYMORE!" Sue and Wendi curled up around me (thanks guys!). He got me by the shoulders and said, 'Make me proud.' Oh, good. No pressure. I think he worked harder to get me to the swim than I did. Not really.

My wave got in the chute and I stayed near the back. Music was playing so I just tried to groove. Hmm, hmm, hmm And just when, it hit me, somebody shouted out, He started "Play that Funky Music White Boy ... Play ..." HEY! You're doing a triathlon here!

KPT stayed the other side of the fence where I could see him. And then this pink pillar apeared next to him. FRANK! (Scuba Punk). Rushed the fence to give him a hug and a kiss. I'm so glad I got to meet him!

Girl next to me was nervous to. I pointed to KPT and said ... heh - I brough my own lifeguard. She was like ... can I borrow your lifeguard? Yeah. He's a generous soul. Gave KPT a 'thumbs up.' The pic is a keeper. I'll post it later.

Horn went off and I waded in. Found some water and started swimming. Did okay with the breathing, but then it got busy. Just kept stroking side to side with my head out. Knocking off the buoys. Get to the turn and this chick *literally* pulls her knees up and kicks off my chest like I'm a wall. Girl? I know God was generous to me, but they ain't here for your benefit. Hope the salt water felt good in the scratches I left on her ankles. I think Sue passed me at the first turn around.

Swimming along the straight, I can see the paddle boards coming up to check me. Gave them a thumbs up. Slow, stupid, but determined.

Make the second turn, and I think Wendi passed me at this turn. I look up and I see red caps, green caps, yellow caps, pink caps. It's a freakin' basic box of Crayola crayons in front of me AND I DON'T CARE! I just made the second turn!

There are arms and feet everywhere. I am in the mix and throwing elbows with the rest. I am loving this.

Keep throwing my arms over my head and the buoys keep disappearing. I get to: THE STAIRS! Guy grabs my hand and says "Okay, here comes gravity." Dude? I'm 44. Gravity and I have had a long, cantankerous relationship. Was kinda bummed because I was psyched last week when I thought RBSchlesinger was going to be a catcher. HOW COOL! A buddy to drag you out of your first Oly! Alas, was not to be.

Work my way up the stairs only to be confronted with a morass of MUD. Woo Hoo! And KPT! He's right there next to the photographer! Grab his hand and do a wiggle dance. Wander in T1.
What would you do differently?:

NOTHING! I DID IT! I'll worry about 'different' later.
Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

Okay. I can definitly pick up some time in Transition. I wandered up to Sunny and said Hey! Chick on the other side of idiot chick had tossed her stuff into my transition area. Took some time to toss it back. In some random direction. Went to wash my feet off and realized after foot one I was using the water mixed with E-gel. Poo. Got my bike shoes, sunscreen, lip balm, helmet and sunglasses on. Checked my manicure. Had pancakes. Called for the valet and then off we went.

NOTHING! I already won!
Bike
  • 1h 23m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.83 mile/hr
Comments:

It's a beautiful day for a bike ride! My calf DOESN'T HURT! Girl in a wave behind me (who witnessed my diva collapse) rides up and says: "Beginner Triathlete? How was your swim?" and gives me a big smile. "GREAT!" I say! "Your's?" "Good." I notice she's got a 31 on her leg so I say "Go kick my ass!" She rides off but, oops, I passed her!

Yea! They put carpet over the railroad track! I'm having a blast. I forgot that I remembered to pack my Garmin, so I was riding naked. FELT GOOD! Listened to my legs. Good gearing. Passed a lot of people. Rode like I ride in training. Took the speed humps like I do in Sherwood. Very happy with my ride.

Somewhere on the back end of the ride I hear a 'WHOOP WHOOP!' Came to find out later it was Wendi! :)

Had Accelerade on the ride and I liked it. Got sweet towards the end, either need a bigger bottle or need to mix in less than is asked for. Should have dropped Nuun in there. I got salty.

Remember my Garmin to get a better take on MPH.
Transition 2
  • 04m 40s
Comments:

Wandered in. Handed Sunny to the Valet. Put on my socks with the Right/Left technology and my flamingo pink running shoesies. Grabbed my hat. Spritzed on some sun screen. Checked my make up and put on some more lip balm. Recharged my e-gel water bottle and tottered off.

NOTHING! I was perfect for today! :)
Run
  • 1h 11m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't think I drank enough on the bike because I was getting thirsty. Had Accelerade on the bike, and e-gel in water for the run. Took water at the water stops, but I think I was drinking too much.

Came out of the Run start and there was KPT! I missed him on Bike In. High fived and mugged for the camera, and off I went. Missed the Garmin because I went out to fast. Closer to a 9/8:30 mph than the 10 I wanted/needed. Tried to imagine our training runs because KPT is dead on for a 10mph pace. Oh well. Just tried to pick out a target to run to, and then gave myself a walk break.

Saw so many BT'rs! JLDiCarlo dashed across the street to point and say "Way to kick Tampa Bays Ass!" :) Saw Sue (heart!). Lucy blew kisses (swoon!). Saw but didn't know it was him, Robit (Adam) and yelled 'Go BT!' KathyG before the turn around. Coming back Wendi and I'm crusing along and this hand grabs my hand from the opposite direction. I get spun into this big hug: RMaldon. "I knew I'd see you out here!" he said. Probably would have run faster if I wasn't stopping to hug and kiss all these wonderful people.

Walked over the bridge because my calf and now my right hamstring are getting cranky. I really thought this race would BLOW my May race. But hey! I'm this far! I've won already and I don't hurt. I don't need to push this!

Get to the last water stop and I hear "Go Janice!" It's the host from our B&B! He's ridden down to cheer us on! And another somewhat familiar face is jumping and clapping, but I don't really recognize her. Turns out it was the wife of the third athlete, from New York, who was staying at our B&B. Saw Run4rYrLife at the TNT station and said hay to him.

And then I'm at the chute. I start to hyperventilate because I'm starting to cry. Shut that noise down. Until I hear the announcer say my name. Lost it! But still took the time to get my a) water b) wet towel and c) FINISHERS MEDAL!!!!! :) :) :)

KPT was at the Exit and grabbed me into a big hug. I DID IT!!!!! :)

NOTHING! Stop asking me this question!

Okay, bring my Garmin to better pace my run.
Post race
Warm down:

KPT and I reported directly to the beer tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The list is long, and illustrious. But I'm not thinking about it right now.

Event comments:

We walked up to the BT Banner and rkreuser is sitting on the ground. He looks up, squints and says "I heard them say your name." I break into my Happy Dance!

Made the mistake of then walking up to people with my medal around my neck saying "Look what I got." As I said, God was good to me. Blessedly, they searched until they found the little spot of pewter. I stopped asking that question pretty quickly.

I HAD A GREAT DAY!!!! :) :) :)

Last updated: 2006-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:20 | 1500 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/124
Overall: 0/4300
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Rectangle. Out, down, back in.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:38 | 24.85 miles | 17.83 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Dunno. Out, in, out, around, back, finish.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:40
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:11:38 | 06.21 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty, pretty neighborhood where the majority of the folks are just so nice! Some had hoses and would spray you if you indicated you wanted some. Kinda felt like a trained seal, but HEY!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %I wsh
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-01 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2007-05-01 1:48 PM
in reply to: #783331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Awesome race report! Awesome race! Congratulations
2007-05-01 1:57 PM

, Alabama

This was, BAR NONE, the most entertaining RR I've ever read!  Janice, you should print this in triathlon magazine!! 

CONGRATULATIONS!

Sharon

2007-05-01 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

THAT's where that quote comes from!

The back part of the run, I kept saying to myself:  I'm gonna finish an Olympic Tarantulon!  Too funny.  Thanks! 

2007-05-01 1:59 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
DOOD! You are SO the heroine! Love the RR ... you rock!
2007-05-01 2:17 PM

User image

Buttercup
Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Janice!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting to read your RR. Congratulations, kudos, well-done! I'm so proud of you for conquering that water! Really great to read your report. Nice job, very nice job!

2007-05-01 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Hey -great race report -Very inspiring to read-Congrats!
2007-05-01 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Congrats on the great race, Janice!  Now you'll have no problem doing Cranberry 

You really did check your manicure and ate pancakes at T1??

I got kicked on the chest all the time at swim starts.  As God wasn't as nice to me as he did to you, my ribs would hurt. 

2007-05-01 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WHOOP WHOOP is it weird if I say I'm proud of you!!!  Congratulations well deserved.  You worked super hard for that!!!  Youa re amazing
2007-05-01 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You rocked it....the swim you beat that fear down and did something hard and huge....big growth from that Janice!

I was so happy to hear from Kenny that you were doing well as I was going on run. I was excited to see you on the run looking good in your BT tri top!

Congrats on a courageous race that shows what a tough chick you are! 

2007-05-01 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
CONGRATULATIONS OLYMPIC TRIATHLETE!!   You kicked butt and took names!  I'm so freaking proud of you!!

2007-05-01 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Totally freaking awesome Janice - whipping up on St. A's - wish I could've been there!  Sounds like the post-race frivolity could have been worth the price of admission.

Especially proud of you for slappin' the fear of water like dat.

Edited by tnt2tri 2007-05-01 7:39 PM
2007-05-01 7:49 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
"Look what I got!".... hey, there's a pic of what we all got in my album.  Heh. 
2007-05-01 7:51 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great job. However, THERE IS NO CRYING IN TRIATHLON!!
2007-05-01 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL

Way to pull it together and have a great race....hopefully we will get to meet at the next one.

When the announcer said that about if you are getting here now- you are really late - I told Claudie that would be one fun guy to hang with(?).  I can setup transition in 2 minutes and we had 7 so PLEASE SHUT IT MR. MEGAPHONE - these 4300+ people are stressed enough without you.

Great perseverance and great job! 

2007-05-01 9:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Love the race report and your attitude. Congrats on an awesome race!

2007-05-01 10:45 PM

User image

O.... M.... G!!!

You did it!

YAY!

Congrats Janice - you should be proud!

2007-05-02 8:07 AM

Master
Boston

You couldn't have asked for better conditions for this race. MUCH better than last year. When I saw you before the swim start, you looked GREAT! Not nervous at all.

Thank goodness for KPT's bodyglide. He was a lifesaver.

Hope to see you back at this race again next year!

2007-05-02 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member

Now that you conquered the swim & had the meltdown- YOU ARE INVINCIBLE!!! HAppy Happy Dance & Congratulations, Janice- You Oly Triathlete you...SMILE ON!!!!

(and thanks for the great race report!

2007-05-02 9:24 AM

Pro
Superb report! It makes me want to do St. A's!
2007-05-02 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
I am soooooo very proud of you!  You faced that fear and punched it out!!! Nice work!!!  Next stop, Half Iron!!!

2007-05-02 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
What does Shut your cryin mean?
2007-05-02 8:20 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
You did it!  You DID IT!!!  SOOO happy for you!
2007-05-02 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Awesome swim, e-gel on your toes??? Sounds like a fun time. I'm glad that you did such a great job!!! Congratulations!!! It was very cool to meet you and KPT and have dinner with "yous guys"

-Frank
2007-05-02 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
LOL...yea, yea, you totally kicked my on the bike...I'm like a feather in the wind...when it hits me, I start going in slow motion...if you were doing the regular course, and I was going downhill with the wind at my back the whole time, I woulda totally rocked!!

That was the most entertaining RR that I've ever read, awesome job, YOU DID IT YOU DID IT, yeah!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2