General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festival - My First/ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festival - My First/ - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buford, Georgia
United States
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 12s
Overall Rank = 24/315
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/45
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5am. I immediately hit snooze but by 5:15am I was up and taking a shower. I woke the girls up at 5:30am. I had prepped all my race gear the night before so all I had to do was load everything into the truck. I tried to load the tri bike onto the top but it was dark and wet from last nights rain so I decided that I would load it on the back. As an aside, I think sometime this summer I am going to get a hitch and bike rack; loading bikes on the top of a Mountaineer isn't as cool as I thought it would be.

I ate an english muffin PBJ and drank some water prior to us leaving.

We left, got gas, and drove to the race.
Event warmup:

We arrived and went to registration. The line appeared to be long but everyone was standing in the Q-Z line since you could not see there were other lines. Within seconds, we moved over to the A-K line, got my number, timing chip and body marking.

Grabbed bike and gear from truck. I did a few warmup laps in the parking lot on the bike to make sure everything was working. I also wanted to see how the tri suit would feel in the weather and it wasn't so bad (not cold like I thought it would be). Things where feeling really good at this point.

I went to the transition area and the first thing I noticed is that it looked like all the good spots where taken. Soon though I figured out a premo spot. As I arrived, two other guys arrived at the same time. As we all tried to put our bikes on the rack, it became clear that the rack was very unstable. I was going to move back one rack but one of the dudes figured out the problem and did some quick maintenance on the rack.

Laid down towel, running shoes (with hat and race belt), cycling shoes (with socks). I realize that I left my bike seat bag at home (later I commented to Fun Killer that I hope I don't get a flat - she responds that she saw the bag sitting on the counter but thought I meant to leave it behind so she left it there; huh?). As I'm leaving my rack mates ask "hey, you look like you've done this before, do we wear this chip thing only on the bike and run". "No", I reply "you wear it the whole time". I guess I look like a badass triathlete at this point. As I leave, they start talking about and checking out my bike ("that is a serious bike", "total hardcore", "sweet looking"). At this point, I am feeling super good.

So we move down to the water. T-minus 30 minutes. Water doesn't feel too bad. I see lots of tri wetsuits and surfer wetsuits. Never once did I question the decision to go without a wetsuit (Thanks Greg and Lou - great advice). Having done an OWS when the water was 55 deg, I knew what to expect and knew I was mentally tough enough to swim no matter what the water temp.

They gave a brief talk and said they would start in waves with the "My Next Tri" folks going first then the "My First Tri" going second wave and on. Then he muttered that if you wanted to go in the first group, it didn't matter "My First Tri" or not. At this point, I start thinking about all the comments I've overheard about dog paddling and all the mountain bikes I've seen. Not wanted to get caught up, I decide I was going in the first group.

Count down from 10 then Game On!
Swim
  • 11m 29s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

A short 50 yard run down to the water. As soon as I hit the water (or maybe before), my HR shot sky high and I felt like I couldn't breath. So for the first 50 yards of the swim I swam water polo style (freestyle but with head up). After that, I transitioned into a better tempo. We got pretty spaced out so I never really got kicked or anything. I was breathing out of the left side and noticed the Warden walking parallel to us.

At about 250 yards, I hit a little mental wall. The second buoy seemed pretty far away and I felt like I had already been swimming for 1/2 hour. I was also drifting left (due to left side breathing probably). So at this point, I started to stretch out my stroke a little and pick up the pace.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't do anything differently. I have a ways to go on swim technique as I felt I was dragging too much. I came out of the water at 8:40 and I wanted to come out at 8 flat so that was good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

T1 is after a run up the beach, then up some steps, across a bridge, up some more steps and up the steepest hill (maybe 15 yards). By the time I got there, my feet where smarting a little from the concrete so I was glad to get to my bike.

Sat down on my bucket, squirted off my feet, wiped them off, socks on, shoes on, sunglass on, helmet on, bike off rack and I'm gone.

It was very cool to be one of the first into and out of the transition area.

Nothing. Setup worked very well (for what it's worth, I used the following setup (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=115) along with a 5 gallon bucket to sit on).

I thought for a few months about clipping in the shoes and doing the whole running start thing but I didn't and I"m glad I didn't. I really don't think it would shave off that much time.
Bike
  • 42m 39s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Done with the transition and now on the bike. My HR at this point is sky high. I had previously taped two gels to my bike. So I rip one off and try to open it. As I do I fumble it and it falls. Oh well, so much for nutrition.

I start biking and I'm still breathing pretty hard. It was probably 2 miles before I felt that I was starting to setting down. On this course there is one major hill (for this course - not a 3 gap hill - but just enough to slow you down to single digits briefly) about 3 miles in with plenty of flat and rollers on the rest of the course. We go up the first little climb and I pass a girl on her mountain bike (she must have had a smokin swim time). I make a funny about the hill, she laughs and I move on.

Next, we go downhill and come back up for the one major hill and I'm shifting down about midway up the hill from my large chain ring to my small chain ring. I drop my chain. Damn. I look at my watch and it reads 24 mins and something. The next 3 minutes is about as comical as you can get in a tri. I reset my chain, and start to go (get one foot clipped in). Since I'm on a hill, I can't get enough momentum so I fall to my left. Damn. Getup and get everything reset. Start to go again (again, one foot clipped in) and I fall AGAIN (this time, chain is dropped). At this point, I just about kick my bike in disgust. About the only good thing that can be said is that no one saw me fall.

About 10-15 people pass me. One dude asks if I'm ok. I start thinking maybe I should ride downhill, and then come back up the hill but decide this is not a good option.

Finally, I get everything reset, take a big, deep breath. Somehow I manage to get going (without falling while clipped in) and make it up the hill. I am pissed. I look at my watch and it reads 27 something. 3 minutes. Damn. I think of BryanCD's IMAZ report of him flatting, and hammering to catch up. So that's what I did. I hammered. I'm flying by people until I'm back passed the mountain bike girl that I originally pass.

Things go good until the bike turnaround when the hilarity ensues again. I see people turn. I yell back "is that the turn?". I try to fumble with my bike computer to see what the mileage is. Two other guys coming back who made the same mistake yell to turn around. So now there are cars and I have to wait until they pass to turn around. I am probably 250 yards from the turnaround point. No sign. No one yelling "this is the turnaround point". Bastards.

So I hammer back. At this point, more people are turning and I know I'm going to have to merge in with them. I'm hauling ass and have no intention of slowing down. Me and a guy turning around almost crash, I off road it a little. I could tell he was not happy but oh well. Tough shit.

Realizing it had been 6 miles and felt like 2 miles, it was hammer time. This time, on the hills I decide I'm going to just leave it in my big chain ring, shift down to my 25 cog and just stand and push through. Worked pretty good.

I pass a kid cycling his ass off on a very small 10 speed. He mentions something, I mutter "what", he repeats but I can't hear him. Me and another guy on a Felt tri bike (big masher) keep passing each other. I pass him on the downhill and he passes me on the uphill. I swear his cadence must have been 50. We both pass a few people during miles 7-10.

At this point, I figure "this is some race - what else can go wrong". At about 2 miles to go, I see a guy on a mountain bike pulled over. I drift over and ask him if everything is ok. He gives me a nod and then lets out a huge hurl. This cracked me up (I probably shouldn't take humor in something being physically sick); I think to myself, ok the bike didn't go so well but at least I'm not puking.

Huh, not drop my chain and fall of my bike?

Seriously, if I just stood up, I would have made it up the hill without downshifting. The good news is that by stopping I probably lowered my HR. I need to work that part of my bike skills (starting on a hill).

On the turnaround thing, I had my computer set to cadence and MPH. Next time, I think I'll do cadence and distance. This would have helped.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

T2 was another perfect transition. I saw the Warden and the girls coming in. I got my right foot unclipped easy but couldn't get my left foot unclipped for a split second (had flashes of falling down again this time in front of everyone).

I counted 5 bikes in T2 which made me #6 overall. Sweet.

Again, sat down, off with the cycling shoes, on with the running shoes, off with the bike helmet, on with the hat, grab race belt and I'm off.

Again, need to practice a few bike skills (figure out why it's hard to get unclipped sometimes).
Run
  • 21m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of T2, there is the huge downhill and we run back to the swim start area. So your running, but it's down sets of stairs, up sets of stairs, huge short downhills and climbs before you get to the road.

Even though I have done bricks, I could tell from the start that this was not going to be an amazingly fast run. I pretty much figured I would get passed.

And that's just what happened. I ran as hard as I could and got passed by what seemed like 5 people. For the first mile, I had what felt like stomach issues. I could not tell if it was muscle issues from falling down or cramping.

Nothing really.
Post race
Warm down:

The girls caught me at the finish chute but I was so out of breath and didn't want them standing in the chute so I pushed them back. After 5-10 minutes I finally got my breath back and grabbed some water and Gatorade. Fun Killer had made a friend and both congratulated me on a great time. As we were leaving we saw a neighborhood friend that does tris (not seriously though) and he gave us his shirt (said he didn't need it).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness. My running is coming back. I feel like I have decent endurance on the bike but not enough strength (I feel like I do fine on the flats but could do better climbing hills). I feel like this will come with time. I will continue to take monthly swim lessons and build my endurance there too.

Event comments:

A good race and course. The run from the beach to T1 sucked but I guess that is tri-life. Very hilly run but that again is life in the Peach State.

I feel like without the hill/chain drop/falling down issues and the turn around issues, I would have been 3-4 minutes faster. Issues aside, I'm happy with the bike, happy with the swim and OK with the run.

As long as I keep working out and I keep getting faster on my runs and stronger on my bike, I feel like I could drop at least another 5 minutes off this course. I don't think this is a course you can go sub-1 hour on.

Thanks again to Lou and Greg for the advice on going without the wetsuit. Great advice. Thanks to everyone else for all the positive comments. I was definitely thinking about all my BT friends during the race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:29 | 440 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/45
Overall: 18/315
Performance: Good
8:40 out of water. I remember 10 something coming into transition. The race results say 12:59 coming out of the TZ. So I'm saying 1:30 for T1.
Suit: Orca Tri Suit
Course: Buoy 25 yards out, turn left, parallel to shore 400 yards, turn left at second buoy, 50 yards back to beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:39 | 12.43 miles | 17.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/45
Overall: 22/315
Performance:
This of course included the 4 mins of major wasted time (2 falls and 1 missed turnaround). Minus the 4 mins it would have been 19 MPH.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. A few small hills with one major hill (for this course) going out at about mile 3. Otherwise, pretty flat for GA.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:33 | 03.11 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/45
Overall: 24/315
Performance:
Again, race results have T2 and run combined. So I'm guessing 1 min in TZ (probably less). Pretty happy with that run time.
Course: Out and back. First 1/2 mile is on concrete path and steps and steep hills. Rest of course is on roads and are somewhat hilly.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-05 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festival - My First/

2007-05-05 3:41 PM
in reply to: #789925

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festival - My First/

Congratulations, Triathlete!!!  Great job of handling it all and still finishing strong... without puking, even

You ROCK!!!!!!

2007-05-05 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Jonathan...You not only look like a badass triathlete, you ARE a badass triathlete.  Great job, great race, and great RR!!

Sounds like you took the lemons and mades lots of 'ade today - sweet!!

I've only been in for a week, but welcome to the club!!

2007-05-05 6:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow.  Big time adversity and you overcame it all.  Good job
2007-05-05 9:13 PM

User image

Master

Thanks all. As soon as they post the times, I will update the race report.  I "think" my time was around 1:18 but who knows. 

And pictures here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=5183

Edited by jonathan22 2007-05-05 9:33 PM
2007-05-06 2:15 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Great RR on a job well done, triathlete! Awesome first race means that your training is on track ... which bodes well for a great season.

Congratulations.

2007-05-06 6:42 AM

User image

Athens GA UGA!!!
I was one of the guys yelling to turn around at you. They could have used some more organization on the bike course.
2007-05-06 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
I agree...you are a badass triathlete.  Congrats on your finished.  And this RR is hilarious....I loved it!
2007-05-06 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Awesome job - that's still a really great time even with all the trouble.  Congrats!!
2007-05-06 6:36 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Nice job and great report - I'm sure I'll see you at one of these things soon!
2007-05-06 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Awesome job man! That is crazy fast for your first tri! Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out when the times are filled in. Looks like you had an exciting bike ride- nice job overcoming that. Congrats on becoming a triathlete!

2007-05-06 7:49 PM

User image

New user

I participated as well. I didn't wear a wetsuit and was glad...even though my fingers, lips, and toes were BLUE!! Warmed up quick. I was in 3rd heat...big mistake..no one was swimming. I lost lots of time zig zagging through. Finished in 1:26..not bad for a 1st timer 30 year old Mom with a 35 year old bike!!! Agreed...the big hill was insane...and wish there had been a shoe option for the run back from the beach!! Congrats
2007-05-06 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Excellent Job, and awesome Race Report. I'll be following your progression. It'll be interesting to see where you take all this. You definitely have the right attitude.
2007-05-07 7:46 AM

User image

Master

Summary race results in:

• 1:18:12 overall time
  • 24/315 overall place
  • 5/50 age group (35-39)
2007-05-07 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

GREAT job - excellent performance. A top 5 AG finish in your first race is very impressive, although I'm not surprised! You're going to have a great season and this was a great start to it! Congratulations!!

2007-05-07 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Great job Jonathan! 

You did awesome powering through all the troubles you had on the bike and finishing strong.  You should be so pleased with your performance!  Congratulations!

2007-05-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #791327

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Awesome Jonathan!  Nice lessons learned on your first tri.  Again great job...
2007-05-08 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
I also did the Lanier MFT. I did it on a whim as opposed to a major training session. I had been swimming some (I swam competitively through high school), spinning during lunch, but no running due to a messed up right foot (something is detached). I figured I would finish and probably would be somewhere in the 1.5 hr range.

Swim: No wetsuit, it was cold but worse was catching the group in front of me. THe breast stroke kick to the face can ruin your mojo. The run to the transition area was not fun given the hill needed switchbacks to get up it.

T1: I had read a thing or 2 on line about transitions so I had everything laid out, I guess.

Bike: Not as good as I expected. I was still pretty beat up from the swim and I needed to fuel up. After 2 miles, I finally got my legs about me but it was still a poor performance (16 mph). i wasn't focused on putting up my best performance as I was cocnerned with my run.

T2: Covered foot in body glide and changed socks for the run.

Run: Low expectations given my banged up foot and lakc of training. I think I did ok, but again the big hills were not fun.

Finish: 1:25 and change, resulting in 91st overall and middle of the pack in 40-45. Beat my expectations by 5 minutes and fueled the fire for the next one.

Items to work on: All of it but mainly run (maybe have that foot looked at) and more swimming while people try to hit or kick me!
2007-05-11 7:59 PM

User image

Master

Splits sorta up.  I'm pissed that I paid $70 bucks for a race and I can't get all the race results that I feel I'm owed.

Anyway, here are the official splits:

Swim and T1 = 0:12:59.810

Bike = 0:42:39.383

T2 and Run = 0:22:33.037

I'm kinda assuming 2 mins for T1 and 1 min for T2.  That said, I"m very happy with my run (sub 7 min/mile).  I was 8:40 coming out of the water which makes my swim sub 2min/100y and I'm very happy with that.  My Bike minus the 4 mins of hilarity would have been 19+MPH which I'm very happy with also. 

2007-05-11 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Oh and it looks like I'm actually 4/45 age group.
2007-05-12 6:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
Awesome. The problem with the swim is that it includes that really long distance to the transition zone. So your water time may be even better.

I approached this as I want to finish, instead of thinking aobut my times, per say. In hind sight, I wish I would have jogged after the swim (instead of walking to conserve energy) and hammered on the bike downhills. the run wasn't going to get better given my foot is so gummed up. It was a learning experience and now I am training full on for an Olympic at the end of the summer.

Congrats again on the great splits.

2007-05-14 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Uuuuhhhh... 55 degrees in the water and you didn't wear a wetsuit? That's hardcore in my book.

Loved the details about the bike chain and falling over. Luckily no one saw you. I had to giggle a little about the guy throwing up... hey, he knows he was working hard. A little vomit won't kill a person.

Well, that looks like a really great first tri! Sounds like you will be kicking tail in many more to come!
2007-05-15 2:48 PM
in reply to: #800383

User image

Master

KSH - 2007-05-14 5:11 PM Uuuuhhhh... 55 degrees in the water and you didn't wear a wetsuit? That's hardcore in my book. 

The water during the tri was a bit warmer.  I did a OWS a few weeks before WITH a wetsuit and the water was 55 deg.  On race day, it was more like high 60s.

2007-05-15 3:05 PM
in reply to: #801621

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
jonathan22 - 2007-05-15 2:48 PM

KSH - 2007-05-14 5:11 PM Uuuuhhhh... 55 degrees in the water and you didn't wear a wetsuit? That's hardcore in my book.

The water during the tri was a bit warmer. I did a OWS a few weeks before WITH a wetsuit and the water was 55 deg. On race day, it was more like high 60s.

According to the fishing report, it was around 67 degrees. I am not sure where that measurement is taken, obviously near the dam will be colder. It certainly was chilly beyond the buoys, but nothing that adrenaline couldn't take care of.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festival - My First/ Rss Feed