General Discussion Race Reports! » Delavan Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Delavan Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Delevan, Wisconsin
United States
Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 14s
Overall Rank = 4/66
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Well, we stayed in Janesville at my parents, however they weren't there. Its about 25 minutes from the race. Since they weren't there, there would be no one to watch our kids and I felt uncomfortable taking my Dad's brand new truck to the race. So, we decided to wake the kids up around 4:45am and let them sleep until race time in the car...they didn't sleep, but they were troopers. I have a great supporting family.

I got up at about 3:30am and couldn't get back to sleep. I packed up some remaining items. Had the routine Clif Bar and Bananna. Drank some water. Continued to sip on Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Got to the event around 5:30. Got a pretty good spot in transition. Unloaded the bike, set up the Transition area. Talked with a couple of people I knew. Went through my bikes gears, pumped up tires (went w/ 110 psi b/c of wetness), and did a dry run of my transition strategy. Warmed up the legs w/ a quick jog. Did some stretching. Checked out the water with a 200m swim warm up.
Swim
  • 08m 44s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim for me. I really wish this would have been the full 800m. It would have given me a great chance at beating the two guys who placed 2nd and 3rd in front of me (2nd beat me by 18s, third by 14s)....but oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a great swim. My OWS practice helped my sighting so much. I am really very comfortable in these open water races. I am definitely not the fastest swimmer, but its probably my best discipline.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

This was a good transition. A little bit of a run from the beach (150 yards or so) and shoes were in clips and off I went. Took a little while with the helmet and wetsuit, but all in all it went great.

Not much. I was 2nd overall in T1, and 2nd in our AG. Just need to be a bit smoother. Kind of slow down to go faster, if you will.
Bike
  • 36m 23s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 21.93 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is a loop around the lake. I left T1 and was in 2nd place. The eventual winner was out in front, but the first 3 miles were downhill and I felt like I could maybe catch him. No dice, though. This guy was flying. I was doing about 24mph trying to catch him, and he was moving away from me pretty easily. I looked at my HRM and saw that I was at 168, way too high, even for 13 miles, so I cut it back and settled back into MY pace. This was a good decision on my part. Ended up w/ the 4th fastest split overall, 2nd in AG, so can't complain.

It was a lonely ride. I did get passed around mile 6, but that was the only other rider I saw. I entered T2 in 3rd place overall. Holly told me that I was in good shape b/c the guy in the lead was way older than me. He had a gray beard, and definitely looked older, but it turns out he was in my age group. We called this man "Gray Beard", and all of the racers talked of him, too. This guy was smooth. He ran the 5K in 18:20 and didn't look like he was working at it.

Not try and pedal out of my comfort zone early. I elevated my HR way too fast, and I really need to ease into my rides. I felt a like I was mashing more than I wanted, too. My last couple of rides have been in that 88-92 rpm range and just felt smooth. I just couldn't get that even cadence for some reason.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I was a little upset with T2. I fuddled around too much. It took awhile to get the socks on. Couldn't decide if I was going to take my water bottle along or not. Just stuff I could have avoided. Overall, not bad, but definitely should have been under a minute.

Again, need to be smoother and quicker. Know what I am going to do ahead of time.
Run
  • 23m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my best run. I was really hoping for sub 23:00. I definitely was in shape for that. I could come up w/ a few excuses (very humid, distance was longer, too hard on the bike, etc.), but ya' know I just didn't bring it. I had some cramps on the first lap and it was slow. Once, I settled in after that first mile, the rest of the race was sub 7:30m/m. Worst part about it was that I still had some gas at the end, which I didn't want to have.

Turns out, as I was high fiving my son near the finish line, this guy is making a move to pass me. I hear him and then turn on the gas to end up beating him. He said, "Oh shoot you heard me!". Turns out we tied in the official deal. Kind of funny, but glad I had enough to stave him off from ruining my photo oportunity.

All in all, an OK run considering I am only 5 months removed from knee surgery. I should be happy, but running is my limiter (relative to the other two disciplines), so i need to just work at getting better at it. And, so I will.

No need for water bottle on this. I dropped it twice. Pick up the pace for the last mile and really push.
Post race
Warm down:

Clean myself off w/ some antibacterial soap b/c of the nasty algae water. Wait for my friends to finish. Ate some food. Stayed for the awards, since I got one!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee surgery 5 months ago. Low running volume b/c of the surgery. I really don't think I hydrated myself well enough on the bike. Definitely have to do better on this for the longer races.

I am very happy with the outcome of this race. It was great to place in the age group and I had a blast. I have improved a ton over the last year. I plan on getting faster, too. Good times, though, as I got to race with/against a college friend and an IM from my office.

Event comments:

Frank Dobbs lived up to his reputation. The race started 20 minutes late. He didn't have enough volunteers to guide traffic. The course distances were off. The transition area was unsecure. Its too bad, b/c this could be a good venue. The bike course is very fun.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:44 | 600 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 13/66
Performance: Good
Suit: Neosport Wet Suit
Course: Suppose to be 800m, but it clearly was more like 600m. Either way my siting was spot on. Holly said that I led all the way to the first buoy, followed by a V of people. I did feel when the leader passed me, but 2nd out of the water was OK w/ me.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:23 | 13.3 miles | 21.93 mile/hr
Overall: 4/66
ahr = 162
Wind: Little
Course: Some nice rollers and two bigger type hills. I forgot the course was hilly like this. It is a great bike course, though. You can definitely get some good speed on the downhills. With the rain it was wet in most of the shaded areas, where most of the turns were. We heard there were a few wipe outs.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:50 | 03.11 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 16/66
Performance: Average
ahr = 165, mhr = 173, 1m: 8:20, 2m: 7:27, 3m: 7:25, .1m: 48s
Course: Little hills up and around a driving range. Some grass, some pavement. 3 loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2007-06-02 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: Delavan Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-06-03 1:33 PM
in reply to: #826959

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Subject: RE: Delavan Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Dude - you are just incredible!  That swim was smokin' and that bike speed is amazing too.  Heck - in my world that run is blazing fast!  Also, the time you took off of last year is amazing too.  Sorry I didn't make it there.  I think I mentioned that I had my son's baseball practice that I coach for at 8:30.  When I saw the race started at 8:00 and I knew Frank would start late - there's just no chance.  Anyway, congrats on the hardware - that is awesome.  Plus gettin in and out of T1 in that time with a wetsuit is amazing - you just do it all very well!
2007-06-03 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

"I am definitely not the fastest swimmer"...  nope, you're just the second fastest swimmer.    Remind me to hang onto your ankles at SOR!!

Nice race, Scott!

2007-06-04 7:11 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Nice job, Scott!

Did you use your new wheels??? Do you have them yet???  

2007-06-04 7:27 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
You rocked it, that's for sure.  Great job, m'man.  It was great to get that txt msg during the baseball game.  I was cracking up!  Oh, and I'm glad you couldn't tell it was me under that grey beard.  I spent a lot of time on it.
2007-06-04 9:00 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Big ups on the stellar race and great to see the progress coming back from knee and shoulder issues!  EEEAWWWW!!!

2007-06-04 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Great report and fantastic race, my man!!  You are the rock-star pimp daddy playah that I wanna be when I grow up. 
2007-06-04 11:45 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Niiiiiice. 
2007-06-04 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race. Keep at it and that run will be under 7' miles in no time.
2007-06-04 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Awesome!! Are you sure they didn't install some sort of bionics in you this off season. No wait you were fast last year too. nevermind.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Delavan Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed