General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 38m 3s
Overall Rank = 62/2700
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/191
Pre-race routine:

The house we were staying at was about 1/2 mile from the race site, so we woke up at 5 am and got our stuff together. I had to get coffee, so I drove out to the BP and saw a line of cars about 2 miles long. Lucky for me, I knew the super secret way back to the house. Our bikes were already there.

Walked over and got my stuff into transition. JC was having an issue pumping up her tires, so I helped her out. Then I realized that I didn't have a "crack pipe" for my disk. I saw the guy on the race across from me with one and asked if I could borrow it. He said he was leaving, but I could use it. I said that I'd put it next to his shoes. He looks me dead in the eye and says, "Just make sure you don't put it IN my shoe". I didn't think about it at first, but he was basically saying, "Hey idiot, don't ruin my race by your stupidity". Let's just say that when I came back off the bike the crack pipe was still next to his shoes. And he was 4 waves in front of me. SUCKA!

I realized that I had forgotten to eat breakfast so I was glad that we were walking back to the house and then to the start. I was more worried about JC having a good race since she was looking to get a Clearwater slot here.
Event warmup:

We walked from the house straight to the beach and joined in the line of athletes walking to the start. I was the 12th wave, so I didn't really warm-up. Actually, I put my goggles on as I entered the corral. Although, I think just getting a wetsuit ON should be considered a warm up. Now that's a video that will win you $100K on AFV.
Swim
  • 31m 17s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

We were the 12th wave to go and there was 4 min between waves. From helping with the other waves, I realized that it was faster to run down the beach about 30 yds and then swim straight to the first buoy. There was a sand bar that you would hit and the water was waist deep for about 40 yds if you started from the corral.

So the horn blows and I take off down the beach. The guy in front of me falls down within 4 steps and I have to hurdle him. I didn't know this was the steeple chase! It was funny seeing people jump back on the shore when they see 120 neopreme clad people sprinting towards them.

I did some really good duck diving and hit the first buoy pretty well. My plan was to breath 5 times on one side, sight, and breath 5 times on the other...repeat. Well, when I was breathing on my left side, I was straight as an arrow. When I switched to my right side, I was headed out to sea.(Chicago I guess) I tried adjusting my pull thinking I was over using my left arm, but nothing. So I just breathed from my left.

I forgot how long a point to point swim is until you start thinking you see a pattern to the buoy's. There was NO pattern...and NO current for that matter. Buncha lake swimming, non-current having people! About 400 meters into the swim, I encountered my first breast stroker. Luckily, I spotted the tail tail legs before I got kicked. I kept a good line and didn't really get bogged down too much. I did have to go to the inside of one of the buoy's because there were 3 people trying to see who could swim the slowest in front of me while still floating. It was like when you're driving down the interstate and there is someone going 1 mph faster than the person next to them!

Somewhere near the end (it was forever...I'm sure!) Up alongside came a swimmer with someone on his feet. His line took him in front of me, so I started drafting off of him, totally cutting off the other dude. Then, we were both drafting off of him! I was on his right side and dude was on his left. It was like we were swimming south for the winter...kinda, but not really. Then they were gone!

Made the turn for home and about 60 meters from the beach my hand hit the sand. I stood up expecting the beach to be there...nope...sandbar! I started swimming again and passed about 10 people walking up to their necks in the water. Why...I'm not sure. But I swam again until my hand touched the sand again. Then I ran up the beach. That lasted for about 30 meters.

Deep sand sucks!! Then I walked because it was too hard to run. Overall, it was my best swim ever. Shore to shore I clocked just over 30 min. 4 min faster than last time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Practice going straight and breathing right.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

It took forever to get to my bike. I was in no particular hurry so it seemed like it took forever to get there. I decided to run in my bike shoes because the racks were really tight and there was sand everywhere.

I got to the mount line and it amazes me how many people are courteous there. I weaved around like 5 people and ended up jumping on my bike about 5-10 meters in front of the line because there was no back up there. It got me out of the congestion.

Nothing. Just did my normal thing.
Bike
  • 2h 24m
  • 56 miles
  • 23.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I spent most of the bike trying to figure out where the wind was coming from. Overall, the first third of the bike I was really strong. The middle portion was consistant and the last third I just wanted to be done.

Almost immediately I settled in with 2 others and we kept playing leap frog. One of the guys had "T. Taylor" on his butt and I decided that I was going to beat someone with their name on their butt. (came to find out later that it was a company..not his name!) The course was crowded, so I spent about 90% of the time on the left side saying "on your left". I crossed over the double yellow about 4 times to avoid people going 4 - 5 wide.

About 12 miles into the ride, we encountered the first climb. I started up it and felt like I was going backwards. I probably went from 24 to 17 mph. I looked down because I thought I had gotten a flat on the disk. I guess it was just the combination of the wind,climb and gearing that caused it. But I was worried.

I was riding at a good clip and really pushing my envelope this ride. When I felt myself slacking off, I would pick it back up again. Side note: At the meeting the day before Andrea Fisher was discussing nutrition and said that if all else fails, "Reboot the system". I was at the 1h 20m point and had just eaten a second bar when an uphill came. I pushed up it and next thing I know...I had a little bit of throw up in my mouth. I chuckled to myself and said, "I guess you can call that a soft reboot".

The course had a lot of rollers and you had to pay attention to where the road was going. The corners were sharp and very fun! A couple of them seemed to be banked, so I sped up into those. Freaked out one guy because there had to be a 10 mph delta between him and I as we hit the apex of the corner and I yelled out "Whee".

T. Taylor dude actually came up on a girl and put his hand on her hip and "guided" her over to the right. There was no one on her right and she didn't even give him enough room to get by. I swear she almost had a heart attack. Fatigue started to set in around the 45 mile mark and I had to really concentrate to keep T. Taylor in sight. Unfortunately, I lost him around mile 50 because I couldn't keep pace.

But...I saw some great Don't draft Kharma happen. Orange Tri Suit dude (back and forth also) came around me and was about 20 meters up the road. He passed someone and they latched onto his wheel. Just as I started to get upset, I see Orange Trisuit dude shift in his saddle and I'm closing the gap. I know what he's about to do...but the drafter did not. He sits up slightly and piss starts flying...I've never seen anyone brake so fast in my life!! I laughed for the next 2 miles...it was great.

The only draft pack I saw was a pack of about 7 35-39's all with disk wheels come around me with 3 miles left. It was the first time that I've actually felt the wind of a pack as they went by. I even got some pull from it. I went from 26 - 32 as they went by. Plus there was a down hill as well.

Every volenteer that handed me water was awesome! I pointed at them and they started running and it was flawless. Great job!!! I was a bit nervous that I didn't pee on the bike, but I was drinking a decent amount, not as much as compared to FL though.

Even pace a bit better. I could have gotten a PR on the bike, but I didn't stay focused. I kept reminding myself that this was a "B" race. I've got to stop doing that and just ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Did I mention that I didn't really pay attention to where my bike rack was? Well, I ended up passing by my rack and having to come back to it. I was looking at the numbers and it went from 1712 and next thing I know it was 1850. I was 1796!

After that, it was all good. I did notice that Mr. Not in my shoe guys shoes were still there. I guess he wasn't as good as his A-hole attitude gave off.

Open my eyes or learn how to count.
Run
  • 1h 37m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this was where I wanted to do well. I got off the bike and knew that there was a nasty up hill just after the first mile. I felt the pee pains start at about 1/2 mile. I decided to take care of it before I got in amongst the masses. I watered a bush and was back on the road.

The run was the worst part mentally for me. Within the first 2 miles, I had at least 5 people in my age group pass me like I was picking daisies. I convinced myself that I did not have it in me to keep up with them and that I was going to do very poorly. It took me until about mile 5 before I said that I needed to just suck it up and run.

It was then that I started to pass people and find my stride. The second loop of the run felt good and I chose to walk through 3 aid stations to make sure that I took in nutrition. Finally, with a 5K to go, a girl comes by me and I decide that I'm going to keep up with her. Granted, it was a nice pace booty, but I was watching the middle of her back...most of the time.

I kept up with her even though my HR was rising. The last 1/2 mile is a right turn and then you're on the beach between sand dunes. I passed about 10 people going down the hill (mile out) and another 5 before I reached the dunes. As I turn left between the dunes, a guy sprints in front of me. Now, there is a carpet in the middle of the deep sand that only "allows" one runner. So I was ok that he got the jump on me, but then he slows down...WTF? We still have 1/4 mile to go Jack hole!

I jumped into the deep sand, almost lost my shoe and got around him. I passed another 3 people before the line but never got my pacer. She's a fast sucker. Unbenost to me, my friend JC was only about a minute in front of me. I was sure she was much farther than that. I saw her at mile 6 and she was hauling butt. She blew up around mile 10. If I would have know I was that close, I would have busted a nut trying to catch her. But it's all good!!

She PR'd too and got a roll down slot. I told her that if I am going to be hurting on Nov 10th...so was she!!

Prepare for the run mentally and physically. I need to realize that it's a 13 mile race. I caught 3 of the guys that passed me but I let them get to me early in the race.
Post race
Warm down:

I made some realizations this race. Since it was a "B" race and I was concerned about JC, I wasn't as anal as normal. I learned that your "rituals" don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
1)I didn't have my "standard breakfast"
2)I didn't use my gel flask on the bike but rather gel packs
3)I ate my bars 40' apart vice an hour. That resulted in a "soft reboot"...nevermind...I learned to keep them seperated
4)I didn't run with a gel flask but rather packets in my pocket
5)Didn't scope out the swim finish and make my runs through transition like I normally do

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. It was a good race and I PR'd by just under 3 min. I left some time on the course mentally and stupidiy wise. But I can work on that. The mentally thing...not the stupdity thing.

Event comments:

The race was great! They did an awesome job with all the people on course. The only thing that I didn't like was that the sponges were in barrels in the middle of the road. It's really hard to grab a sponge when you're running.

The bike handoffs were great, the shirt is AWESOME and the pizza was good after the race.

Last updated: 2007-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:17 | 2310 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/191
Overall: 0/2700
Performance: Good
HR - 154/159
Suit: BT issued Black Pearl
Course: Point to point with a beach start
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:24:00 | 56 miles | 23.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/191
Performance: Good
HR - 145/156
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Counter-clockwise lolly pop 1400' of climbing with 3 "major" climbs
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:37:49 | 13.1 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/191
Performance: Average
6:51 (153/158) 7:12 (157/160) 7:14 (157/159) 7:34 (156/158) 7:41 (155/159) 7:29 (156/159) 7:23 (156/159) 7:40 (157/159) 15:25 (157/162)7:49 (158/160) 7:32 (158/161) 7:24 (161/171) :30 (172/172)
Course: out 2 miles, double loop and back in
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-07 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2007-08-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: #916575

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
Congrats Dan on your new PR!  Great race report as always - great humor and teaches the rest of us many lessons - especially to look for a good Pace Booty! Laughing
2007-08-07 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
I want to be fast like you.  Awesome race.  Congrats on the PR!!!
2007-08-07 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Awesome job, Dan!  Always love your RR's - always very colorful and you even included fun details about "soft reboots" and drafting Kharma this time...

Keep up the good stuff!

2007-08-07 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Great Race Report. I was LMAO!!!

Seriously though, congrats on the PR. I am so impressed with your times. Wowza!!!

2007-08-07 2:43 PM

User image

You did great Dan!  You rock!  We'll still let you be our resident stud!!!

You must have had your fast pants on!!!

2007-08-07 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Nice race Dan!!! I must have saw you on the bike, because I specifically remember being by the T. Taylor guy for a bit and staring at him for a while just kind of wondering what that was about. haha
2007-08-07 4:33 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Awesome Job Dan!! You rock!
2007-08-08 12:23 AM

User image

Regular

I have never done this before but you are a STUD.  That was a great race report. Cograts

2007-08-08 6:47 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
As I mentioned in my PM Dan, great race!   Next year you'll have to race Racine so that you can see what a challenging course is really like   Congrats!!
2007-08-08 8:09 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Nice PR!  Clearwater is a very fast bike course and the run is quick too but the big bridge X4 is kind of brutal...definitely need the mental toughness there.

2007-08-08 3:49 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Good job! Have fun with that Du brick today, but be careful. It's hot out there.
2007-08-08 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Dude great race report. The drafting kharma part is hilarious... nice. Congrats on the outstanding race and the PR!!!!
2007-08-09 9:15 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Awesome work Dan!!  Smokin' race as always!

And your RR are always a chuckle to read!

2007-08-09 9:31 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Good job Dan. Most impressed that you avoided the golden shower. Well, that and the Pace Booty. Glad to see you can keep your wits about you during a race
2007-08-09 10:27 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome race! I wish my "B" race was as fast as yours! Looks like I'll see you in Clearwater!

2007-08-13 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison,WI

YOU ROCK!  I'm so glad I got to see, if only for a short minute.  I wish we could have had some leisure time to just hang out.  I did the whole Ironman bike yesterday and I couldn't help but think back to your trim to Wisco.  I almost killed James as he was circling me up the hills telling me to keep pedaling......

He could probably still do that, but I'm a lot more fit this year.  kind of.

You rule!  Great race!  Great RR!

2007-08-19 7:05 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-19 9:19 PM

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Awesome race! and the RR was an excellent read.  Thanks, and congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed