set-up.inc
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 16m 21s
Overall Rank = 68/107
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4am and got all our stuff together in the hotel. Body glide-ed up, got dressed, packed the car and ate a waffle on the way to the race. We got really lost on the way back from the race site the previous day, so we wanted to leave ample time. It worked out well, we got a good parking spot. Took a long time to set up t-area and stretched a little watching the sun come up on the lake. It was also cool b/c the bike racks were set up alphabetically...so Kraig was my transition neighbor!
Event warmup:

None, walked over to the swim start and talked to friends while waiting.
Swim
  • 38m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I guess my swim is my biggest disappointment in the whole race. I wasn't really nervous much and was just anxious to get in and get going. Our wave finally got in the water, and I moved towards the front of the wave. I started off strong and eventually began to feel like I was kinda alone. I would catch a person on my inside so I didn't even thin I was off course. Well wrong. I guess it was about 2/3 of the way to the first buoy, a kayak guy said "you need to be way over there". CRAP! So I figured out where I needed to go, and headed off again. I realize now after talking to a few others and thinking about it, that I was sighting off a yellow buoy that was round, but not a triangle 'corner' buoy. I don't have prescription goggles and don't really need them and the sun was very bright so that's the only reason I can think that I got so far off. I was kinda bummed since I've never done that before. So, moving back on track...I head to the first turn and continue parallel-ish to the shoreline. Everyone was still pretty spread out, but I'm still pretty close to others. I did something similar again, only not as bad and I figured it out on my own. So I headed back towards the main 'channel' and round the 2nd buoy and head towards shore. Everything was on track from here. At this point I had no idea if I was ahead of my wave, or behind. I saw several other color caps, but I don't know if they were people that started before or after me. I guess the swim is kinda bugging me because I felt really good the whole time. Wetsuit was comfy and my stroke felt strong. I wonder what would have happened if I didn't get so off course?
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. I realized that when you start at the front at a longer distance race, everyone get spread out easier. It's VERY easy to get off course. It would have been nice if they would have had more of the small orange buoys between each of the turns.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I estimated my transitions to be about 2:30 for this race. I feel like my times for a sprint and olympic is good, but I didn't want to forget anything in a longer race. Wetsuit came off well, but I did bodyglide my feet and poked around a little.

I'm not sure, I think this time will go down after doing more races of this distance. I'm ok with my time...for now.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I think the bike went really well for me. I felt good most of the ride- maybe until the last 20 miles or so. I started out just trying to get into a good rhythm and trying to eat and drink when I should be. The course was fun with lots of rollers, similar to the course I trained on all summer, but easier! Around mile 10-ish Mila and Greg passed me. I tried to keep up with Mila, but she kept creeping farther away...so I stuck to my own plan. I did get passed by a good number of people-guys and girls, but I kept reminding myself that I wasn't doing a sprint and to follow my game plan. I was really happy to see that by the halfway mark my pace was at 17.8! My goal for the race was 17.25, but I would be happy with a 17.0 pace. So I was pumped at this point! I guess around mile 35 or so, an annoying headwind picked up and I was starting to get tired. This is also around the time that the pavement got kinda rough. I also started having some slight hamstring cramps...nothing too bad. I just tried to stand up and stretch a little every 10:00. My pace started falling but I kept pushing to keep above my goal pace. Luckily I'd been faster than I expected in the first have of the bike...so I ended up pretty close to my goal. Overall, I thought this was a nice course. Nutrition worked pretty well too:
~2 Accelerade bottles (300 cal)
10 Shot Bloks
1/2 Clif Bar
1 Uncrustable

Not much. I still want to get stronger on the bike. That's something that will come with time. I also need to stretch more..that could have helped the hamstrings.
Transition 2
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

Racked bike, body glided feet and changed socks. Put on race number and fuel belt. I also dug through by bag for some Aleve but only found Excedrin...took one. This was a pretty slow T2 time for me, but I wasn't really too worried. I hope this will improve with time and experience at the HIM distance.

Lay a few more things out...like Aleve. I just didn't know I'd want any.
Run
  • 2h 20m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm actually VERY happy with this run- even though it's slow by most peoples standards. This was the only part of the race I was pretty worried about. Just over a year ago, I injured my back from running b/c my form sucks. So I've really only been running again for about 6 months. Before that, my longest was a 6 mile run. So, this race was actually my first half marathon...my first will be in November. I was worried that this would turn into a mental struggle and I'd end up walking A LOT.

So, I started out having to pee, BAD! Stopped at the first p.potty around mile 1- whew, that was a relief. I was actually glad to have to pee- maybe that was a sign that I'd drank enough on the bike. So, continue on..my plan was to run as long as I can, but walk the water stops. I guess I ran most of the first loop(minus water stops) and I felt REALLY good. It was awesome seeing the other club members on the course. I started to look for the next person to take my mind off things. Saw Kraig- and almost got teary eyed. I couldn't believe we were doing this! Kept chugging along trying to drink often and Gu every 3 miles or so. Made it to the halfway and saw everyone from the club. I think I had a hug smile- it was awesome to hear everyone yelling and cowbelling!! At this point, I knew I had the race in the bag- not winning(DUH!!) but that I'd actually finish. I hadn't looked at my run time until the halfway- and when I did, I had 1:30 to finish and make my goal time!!! SWEET! So I kept chugging along, I ran a lot, but walked for a few minutes when I felt like it- mostly on the short up hills. Time flew by, I kept looking for club people finishing their second lap. I'm not sure if this was a total miracle, but I never really got really tired or mentally down during the run. I usually get bored tend to get negative on long runs- not today! It was crazy! So I made it back to the park with less than 2 miles to go and got really excited to see club people again. Saw Amy with less than .5 to go- dammit she caught up! I was actually walking then and started running again, she was just a little faster though...got to the last hill and kept running into the finish chute. DONE! My goal was 2:30, but I was even thinking that I'd be closer to 3:00...so I'm very happy!

I just want to keep improving my running. I feel like it's come a long way, but I'm far from done. It seems like it's where I loose a lot of ground in all distance races. I'm not going to complain though, I didn't even know if I'd make it through the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and stood under the water tent- very nice. Kraig came over and we talked about how great we felt. Wandered over to the club tent to look for Heather to finish. Hung out a while and packed up and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess getting off course on the swim and the headwind on the bike were the worst parts of the race. I figure each race is a time to learn and correct mistakes. So I'll work on sighting better on long courses. The headwind is out of my control!

Event comments:

This was a great race! Great volunteers and well stocked aid stations. The race did start a little late and the post race events were kinda boring. But I don't choose races based on that. So I'd do this race again without much thought. The long sleeve shirts were also cool!

Last updated: 2007-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:27 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 20/107
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Sleveless
Course: Out a ways, then left, then left again towards shore
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:11:48 | 56 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 62/107
Wind: Headwind
Course: One big loop around rural Greenwood area. Rolling hills but nothing too tough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:20:37 | 13.1 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 76/107
Course: 2 loop out and back- in Lake Greenwood Park and on main road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-03 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: South Carolina Half

2007-10-03 11:27 AM
in reply to: #989576

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: RE: South Carolina Half

Congratulations Courtney!  You did awesome on your first HIM!!!

Your race report made me laugh b/c of all the things that you were thinking about during your transitions.  Don't worry - they'll get faster with each one you do.

Great job again!

2007-10-03 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Awesome job at your first HIM! You did great and have lots of time to analyze and figure out how to do it better next time. I'm also impressed with your time for your first 1/2 mary! The race in November will seem like a piece of cake without the other 2 sports before it. Enjoy your rest week.
2007-10-03 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
You continue to amaze me in how far you have come in such a short time of doing triathlon. Don't sweat the swim, it was long (I mean it HAD to be didn't it?). Your bike and run have improved in leaps and bounds this year and your form on both looks great.  Keep it up you are really going to rock '08!
2007-10-03 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Awesome job, Courtney!!  Great and fun to read RR!!  See you at EP.

2007-10-03 1:03 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Wait a minute ... we are the post race activities.  Next year, I'll bring enough Schlitz for everybody.

Congrats on bagging your first HIM - and finishing with a smile on your face.

That is what this is all about.

2007-10-03 1:05 PM

Woodstock, GA

Cool race report Courtney, I enjoyed reading it. Headwind huh, that made me think about my inspire to you, that when you take Neal's number this weekend hoping you do not need to shave your head for resemblance, that it may help you dealing with the headwind .

2007-10-03 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats Courtney! You had a great race.  It was on the run where I first realized what exactly I was doing too..a HIM! That was the best part of the day I think. You looked good out there every time I saw you. Happy and strong. Your run will continue to improve as you run more and next season you will be that much stronger and faster.  I'd say for your first HIM and first ever Half Mary you did awesome.
2007-10-03 1:53 PM

User image

great job courtney!  it's so impressive that was your first half marathon. i think your run was great..and all of it actually.  i agree, sighting was tough on the swim course.  i think it was the crazy sun.  anyway- awesome job!
2007-10-03 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great race courtney! You have gotten real stron this season, and all that hard work si showing its dividends! Congrats on completing you first half IM, and finishing so strong!
2007-10-03 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Sounds like you had a great race overall! Way to beat your expectations on the run too, which is tough to do. Someday I will swim a time like that and say it is below average....

2007-10-04 7:44 AM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
You're swim time was great even with going off course. That is a smokin' fast run for your first half-mary especially when you've already biked and swam! Awesome performance!

Pam
2007-10-04 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Great job, Courtney.  I wish I could have been there with you guys.  Everyone sounded like they had a great time.
2007-10-04 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
You did SUCH a great job on this race, I am so proud of you! Even with going so far off course on the swim, you corrected and still ended up with a decent time (for most people!). You did wonderful on the bike course - exactly what you had planned, and you smoked the run!! You have come so far this year, after having a rough end to the last year with your leg injury. CONGRATULATIONS!!
2007-10-05 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Courtney!  You did a great job and had a smile on your face every time I saw you, especially at the finish.
2007-10-05 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great showing in your first HIM.  Congrats Courtney!

2007-10-08 9:58 AM

User image

Elite

Even on my BEST day I could never come close to your swim time on your WORST day.  There's nothing like having a kayaker reminding you that you're going the wrong way.  Yikes! 

Smokin fast bike....as always.  And your run was not slow by anyone's standards.  You're racing a HALF IRONMAN!  Your pace was spot on! 

Great job!  Impressive time.  Way to persevere.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carolina Half Rss Feed