BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-10 6:20 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by Lanne
I have done 5 tri's with my 6th the Saturday.
Lana if you race tomorrow good luck and I hope you get done before it gets real hot. You are a braver woman than me.
A -for tackling the heat and
B - for being willing to swim in Champion "Lakes" with all that bird poop and who knows what else. Take great care not to sallow any of it I have not heard good things about the consequences.

For those in the north of our great planet 44*C (110*F) here tomorrow, hopefully the thought of that helps to warm you up. At the end of a day that hot my DH is getting on a plane and heading to Tulsa.

Stacey I am concerned about that have heard bad things about the lakes, but have never been there so will report back tomorrow if I am still alive. I must admit I am no where near as nervous about this race as I was the last one at Hillarys'. It's all mental and I had no problem doing the short courses in the ocean but when I did the last Hillarys one in December I was fine til I got in the water and all I thought was BIG SHARKS!
luckily I coerced my husband into paddling the swim course and he got me through it.

So bird poop to sharks- sharks win

This is all as long as it is not 37 degrees by 8.04 am

2014-01-10 6:24 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Gorgoeus
2014-01-10 6:32 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

MMMmm I am hoping to the Mandurah OD but not sure I will get there my running is shocking, I can swim and ride til the sun comes up but have only just started managing 5km comfortably so I am thinking the 10km after Christmas and New Year is not going to happen!
But I haven't given up all hope yet, I have joined a PT group that does a lot of interval run training so hoping that will help

Stacey do you train on your own or are you in a club?
2014-01-10 6:45 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Lanne Ok still working this out, is there a way to get a notification of a post rather than looking through 273 posts to find out who has asked a question or commented? The Crazy Crab is named Rosetta she is essentially a hermit crab she did have a partner but he moved out of his shell never to live another day. She has a nasty pinch on her so the children have learnt and is very good at escaping but we have found her 3 times! Thank you for the meal advice, I never know, some people say to load carbs other say they get up super early and have a good breakfast on the day? i'm more of a coffee shot and a banana maybe a piece of chocolate about 3 hrs before I guess, kinda gal

At the bottom of the page is a toggle you can enable that will notify you whenever anyone posts here.

Good luck and have fun with your race!

2014-01-10 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Lanne

MMMmm I am hoping to the Mandurah OD but not sure I will get there my running is shocking, I can swim and ride til the sun comes up but have only just started managing 5km comfortably so I am thinking the 10km after Christmas and New Year is not going to happen!
But I haven't given up all hope yet, I have joined a PT group that does a lot of interval run training so hoping that will help

Stacey do you train on your own or are you in a club?
I hear you about the run thing. My plan is to do the Mandurah OD but I will be run/walking the run part, most likely with a 3 min run/ 2 min walk ratio. All up it will most likely take me about 3:45 to finish.

At the Hillarys tri in December did you get attacked by jelly fish? Yanti and I ended up with heaps of stings that turned into big red blistered welts. Mine took about 3 weeks to clear up and Yanti's a bit longer because she popped the blisters.

I train by myself, I live up in the hills and there aren't any tri clubs around the area, most of them are a good 45 minutes away. But I have found out about a English coach that moved to the area last year and is starting to offer group coaching up here so I might check that out.
2014-01-10 7:01 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Buckshot

Any room for me Yanti?

Sure thing! Please post your bio!

2014-01-10 9:12 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

January 11-12
Monica - Chicago Polar Dash (14 miler) on Saturday
Erin - 12 Hours in the Papago (Mtn bike relay) on Saturday
Lana - Telstra Triathlon Series: Champion Lakes - Pursuit Course on Saturday

Disabled list:
Melanie - strained hamstring (improving!)
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather
Jonathan - Subtalar joint / ankle issues
Yanti - Under the weather

Jantastic Information
Remember to log those runs!
Go to http://www.jantastic.me/and use the Log Runs button after logging into the site.  
All runs for the previous week must be logged by 08:00 (GMT) on Tuesday of the following week.  That's 3:00am New York time on Tuesday (2am Chicago time, 1am Denver time, midnight Seatle time, 4pm Perth time, etc.).  Most folks should plan to log their Jantastic runs on Monday.
May all of you be feeling strong and focused!

INFO FOR NEW MANATEES

First of all, welcome!

If you haven't figured it out, we talk a lot. :-)  Fasten your seatbelts!  Also, we tend to be an inspiring bunch (as in, we use the "inspire" feature of the site a lot).  If you are not familiar with inspires, note that you can reply to them by clicking Reply.  This pops out a new window for you to type your response so that the original poster can see it. 

Finally, please use training log on the site (Yanti said that it's required: "Keeping up your training log here on BT and opening it to other group members is mandatory.").  This makes it a lot easier for us to help each other when training questions come up.   Here's a few shorts article on training logs:  http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/why-you-should-keep-a-training-log_50045, http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/10-reasons-to-keep-a-training-diary-877474.  If you have questions about how to use the training logs, feel free to ask.

If you list your upcoming races on your training log  -- by adding to My Races or listing them in Dashboard, we'll celebrate with you!

We have a Google+ community that we use on an irregular basis.  Send your info to a returning Manatee (Janyne, Chris, Monica or Darren) and you will be added.

We have a Bike Gallery as well.  Post a picture of your racing steed and draw Chris' attention to it.  He'll get you added.

In the past, someone in the Pod (Yanti, Chris, Janyne) has created a table listing all of the pod members with links to their logs.  Once this handy dandy table has been created, feel free to copy/paste it to your own dashboard.

Please be active!  Inactive Manatees make us sad!

2014-01-10 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

January 11-12

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

Jantastic Information
Go to http://www.jantastic.me/and use the Log Runs button after logging into the site.  
All runs for the previous week must be logged by 08:00 (GMT) on Tuesday of the following week.  That's 3:00am New York time on Tuesday (2am Chicago time, 1am Denver time, midnight Seatle time, 4pm Perth time, etc.).  Most folks should plan to log their Jantastic runs on Monday.

INFO FOR NEW MANATEES

First of all, welcome!

If you haven't figured it out, we talk a lot. :-)  Fasten your seatbelts!  Also, we tend to be an inspiring bunch (as in, we use the "inspire" feature of the site a lot).  If you are not familiar with inspires, note that you can reply to them by clicking Reply.  This pops out a new window for you to type your response so that the original poster can see it. 

Finally, please use training log on the site (Yanti said that it's required: "Keeping up your training log here on BT and opening it to other group members is mandatory.").  This makes it a lot easier for us to help each other when training questions come up.   Here's a few shorts article on training logs:  http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/why-you-should-keep-a-training-log_50045, http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/10-reasons-to-keep-a-training-diary-877474.  If you have questions about how to use the training logs, feel free to ask.

If you list your upcoming races on your training log  -- by adding to My Races or listing them in Dashboard, we'll celebrate with you!

We have a Google+ community that we use on an irregular basis.  Send your info to a returning Manatee (Janyne, Chris, Monica or Darren) and you will be added.

We have a Bike Gallery as well.  Post a picture of your racing steed and draw Chris' attention to it.  He'll get you added.

In the past, someone in the Pod (Yanti, Chris, Janyne) has created a table listing all of the pod members with links to their logs.  Once this handy dandy table has been created, feel free to copy/paste it to your own dashboard.

Look at all this great info- even calculating the time differences for us!! Thank you x a lot!

GO RACING MANATEES!!!!!!!!

Feel better all the sick and injured.

2014-01-10 9:30 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Lanne Wow snow, kind of wishing for snow for tomorrow- we are going to hit 44 degrees C tomorrow hopefully after my wave start at 8.04 am first inland tri for me see how different the lake swim is

I have some snow you can have, delivered fresh this morning.  How do you think I should ship it?!

But seriously, good luck at your race this weekend and HAVE FUN!

2014-01-10 9:33 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

January 11-12

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

Jantastic Information

INFO FOR NEW MANATEES

First of all, welcome!

Janyne, as always, you ROCK!!

GOOOOO RACING MANATEEEEEES!!!!

2014-01-10 9:37 AM

User image

Master

Hi there, new Manatees! Glad you jumped in...the water's great

So far I have Jill, Lana, Ashley, Marc, David...Kim, WL?, and Mark?  I had to cheat sheet for the last three, though I haven't printed out any notes yet

Hope everyone is happily cruising through Friday morning.

(20140103_122242.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140103_122242.jpg (57KB - 4 downloads)

2014-01-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Thank goodness Melanie did a recap of the peeps! HI TO Kim, Ashley, Lana, David, Marc and Jill!! Thanks Janyne for updating the list! And don't think I missed your Homer Simpson "I am so smart, SMRT!" Adreinne - well said about strength routines! It's something that's easy to let fall through the cracks because we are all so busy but SO important! Ann-Marie - put me down for 2 cats, 1 dog Guess I'll head downstairs and get my spin on. It's snowing outside and I'm too lazy to drive to the gym to run on the treadmill. BUT TGIF! Anyone racing this weekend? Hope you all have a great day and weekend. We are skiing Sunday but that's about it. /MBC OUT

I was really hoping someone would catch it and understand the quote and not think, "Wow, that Melanie, she really has spelling issues!"  Thanks to you and Monica for acknowledging the Homer quote!

2014-01-10 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Go racers go!!!!!!!!

Monica, stay warm and run like the wind!

Erin, wish I was joining you in the Papago. But it's that darned off-road thing, ya know?

Lana, Swim like a Manatee, Ride like ya stole it, and Run like the wind (and don't swallow duck droppings)

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!

2014-01-10 10:02 AM
in reply to: TriAya

NAME: Scott
STORY: I'm 44, I live in Birmingham, AL. I grew up playing every kind of sport you can think of (Well, football, baseball, basketball, tennis, etc, anything with a ball basically. Never did any endurance sports) Then got married, got a desk job, got lazy, fat, etc. Really let myself go for about 15 years I'm sorry to say. Played tennis, golf, etc off and on but nothing that would require me to actually be in shape. Then.... one fateful day about 18 mos. ago my son (15) asks me if I will do this crazy thing called a "Warrior Dash" with him. Um, sure, sounds fun. Wait, it's THREE MILES LONG?!?! Plus climbing on stuff? Three miles was unthinkable, I couldn't run from my mailbox to the next one. I really wanted to share that day with him so I started the Couch to 5K program in the middle of the Alabama summer. After the Dash, did a couple of 5Ks, and a sprint Tri last summer. I was MINIMALLY trained for the bike and swim (at best) but had a blast. I want to do a couple more this year but my training/tri buddy is bailing on me, so it will harder to get motivated.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20 years. One son (17)

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm only running. Doing the Hal Higdon Intermediate HM plan for a HM in February. It's going pretty well, though the longest running race I've ever done is a 5K so I'm flying blind. After the race in 6 weeks I want to switch over to S/B/R as I am pretty burned out on just running right now.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
Mercedes HM, Birmingham, AL. Feb 16
After that no idea. There are quite a few sprint tri's in my area this summer, I hope to do 2 or 3. MAYBE an Oly toward the end of summer if I can lose more weight and my training goes really well. I'm glacially slow but I don't care about that.

2013 RACES/EVENTS: Couple of small 5Ks, The Wet Dog Triathlon (400M, 12 mi, 5K) in Decatur, AL and a 2nd Warrior Dash.

BODY COMPOSITION: I weighed 245 at 5'9 18 months ago, right around 200 now but now I need to lose another 20 at least. I'm tired of dragging this much weight around while running. I started tracking with MyFitnessPal, we'll see how it goes. I've gotten lazy about watching my diet this winter, running is the only thing keeping me from gaining.
2014-01-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: RollTideTri

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey all Manatees--new and 'old'--just a quick drive-by post at work...You can take me off the under the weather list--I am pretty much back to my normal self (ahem...still need to actually get out and RUN, but still...). I will try to hop on tonight for proper review and hellos...until then carry on, GOOOOO MANATEES, and have fun! 

2014-01-10 10:29 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Mark!!  Hi Scott!!  Welcome to the madness!

David, thanks for the dog pics, love it!!!  Dogs are great.

2014-01-10 10:35 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Scott, welcome to the Manatees!

Kate, glad that you are feeling better!

2014-01-10 10:45 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO TANGERINES!!!
GO GOODY!!!
GO LANA!!!

Disabled list:
Kate-  Under the weather
TJ - Under the weather

And the gimps: GET BETTER! Sigh, we were doing so well ... but we'll be back

2014-01-10 10:51 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by RollTideTri NAME: Scott STORY: I'm 44, I live in Birmingham, AL. I grew up playing every kind of sport you can think of (Well, football, baseball, basketball, tennis, etc, anything with a ball basically. Never did any endurance sports) Then got married, got a desk job, got lazy, fat, etc. Really let myself go for about 15 years I'm sorry to say. Played tennis, golf, etc off and on but nothing that would require me to actually be in shape. Then.... one fateful day about 18 mos. ago my son (15) asks me if I will do this crazy thing called a "Warrior Dash" with him. Um, sure, sounds fun. Wait, it's THREE MILES LONG?!?! Plus climbing on stuff? Three miles was unthinkable, I couldn't run from my mailbox to the next one. I really wanted to share that day with him so I started the Couch to 5K program in the middle of the Alabama summer. After the Dash, did a couple of 5Ks, and a sprint Tri last summer. I was MINIMALLY trained for the bike and swim (at best) but had a blast. I want to do a couple more this year but my training/tri buddy is bailing on me, so it will harder to get motivated. FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20 years. One son (17) CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm only running. Doing the Hal Higdon Intermediate HM plan for a HM in February. It's going pretty well, though the longest running race I've ever done is a 5K so I'm flying blind. After the race in 6 weeks I want to switch over to S/B/R as I am pretty burned out on just running right now. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Mercedes HM, Birmingham, AL. Feb 16 After that no idea. There are quite a few sprint tri's in my area this summer, I hope to do 2 or 3. MAYBE an Oly toward the end of summer if I can lose more weight and my training goes really well. I'm glacially slow but I don't care about that. 2013 RACES/EVENTS: Couple of small 5Ks, The Wet Dog Triathlon (400M, 12 mi, 5K) in Decatur, AL and a 2nd Warrior Dash. BODY COMPOSITION: I weighed 245 at 5'9 18 months ago, right around 200 now but now I need to lose another 20 at least. I'm tired of dragging this much weight around while running. I started tracking with MyFitnessPal, we'll see how it goes. I've gotten lazy about watching my diet this winter, running is the only thing keeping me from gaining.

Welcome, Scott! You have come such a long way ... and the REALLY crazy fun has not yet begun.

2014-01-10 12:02 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Hey Manatees!!

GO, GO, GO to all the racing Manatees!

I am thinking about doing a bike focus this year--the whole marathon thing has really ruined my legs and love for running--I now run for the pragmatic need to in triathlon and the fact that it's still a good cardio workout.....I want to do a weekend ride that has a metric century over each of 2 days in September......I have plenty of time to get my butt used to being in the saddle and Jorge's winter plan is getting me there......Thing is, I am having pain in the front part of my right knee with almost every trainer ride.  I have never had pain in my knees while on the bike before.  Sweet Mama has never given me issues before and my fit on her is pretty decent.....Thoughts?  Move a cleat position?  Change the saddle a touch?

2014-01-10 12:05 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by rrrunner

Go racers go!!!!!!!!

Monica, stay warm and run like the wind!

Erin, wish I was joining you in the Papago. But it's that darned off-road thing, ya know?

Lana, Swim like a Manatee, Ride like ya stole it, and Run like the wind (and don't swallow duck droppings)

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL! 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  Oh TJ, that made me smile!

Firstly, I'm in Chi-beria so staying warm is pretty much off the table from the get-go.  Secondly... run like the wind??  I don't think I've ever done any such thing... nor am I capable of any such thing!  How about I bundle up to the point that I can't put my arms down or resemble the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man and plod along at my usual frozen molasses pace until I get to the finish line?  That, I can do!  

2014-01-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Hey Manatees!!

I am thinking about doing a bike focus this year--the whole marathon thing has really ruined my legs and love for running--I now run for the pragmatic need to in triathlon and the fact that it's still a good cardio workout.....I want to do a weekend ride that has a metric century over each of 2 days in September......I have plenty of time to get my butt used to being in the saddle and Jorge's winter plan is getting me there......Thing is, I am having pain in the front part of my right knee with almost every trainer ride.  I have never had pain in my knees while on the bike before.  Sweet Mama has never given me issues before and my fit on her is pretty decent.....Thoughts?  Move a cleat position?  Change the saddle a touch?

Same knee that said eff you during the mary?

in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Hey Manatees!!

Riding on the trainer is so different that it is probably a trainer-specific issue rather than Sweet Mama. I would try adjusting you cleats a bit, and then go back to th original position when you start riding outside again.

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by RollTideTri NAME: Scott STORY: I'm 44, I live in Birmingham, AL. I grew up playing every kind of sport you can think of (Well, football, baseball, basketball, tennis, etc, anything with a ball basically. Never did any endurance sports) Then got married, got a desk job, got lazy, fat, etc. Really let myself go for about 15 years I'm sorry to say. Played tennis, golf, etc off and on but nothing that would require me to actually be in shape. Then.... one fateful day about 18 mos. ago my son (15) asks me if I will do this crazy thing called a "Warrior Dash" with him. Um, sure, sounds fun. Wait, it's THREE MILES LONG?!?! Plus climbing on stuff? Three miles was unthinkable, I couldn't run from my mailbox to the next one. I really wanted to share that day with him so I started the Couch to 5K program in the middle of the Alabama summer. After the Dash, did a couple of 5Ks, and a sprint Tri last summer. I was MINIMALLY trained for the bike and swim (at best) but had a blast. I want to do a couple more this year but my training/tri buddy is bailing on me, so it will harder to get motivated. FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20 years. One son (17) CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm only running. Doing the Hal Higdon Intermediate HM plan for a HM in February. It's going pretty well, though the longest running race I've ever done is a 5K so I'm flying blind. After the race in 6 weeks I want to switch over to S/B/R as I am pretty burned out on just running right now. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Mercedes HM, Birmingham, AL. Feb 16 After that no idea. There are quite a few sprint tri's in my area this summer, I hope to do 2 or 3. MAYBE an Oly toward the end of summer if I can lose more weight and my training goes really well. I'm glacially slow but I don't care about that. 2013 RACES/EVENTS: Couple of small 5Ks, The Wet Dog Triathlon (400M, 12 mi, 5K) in Decatur, AL and a 2nd Warrior Dash. BODY COMPOSITION: I weighed 245 at 5'9 18 months ago, right around 200 now but now I need to lose another 20 at least. I'm tired of dragging this much weight around while running. I started tracking with MyFitnessPal, we'll see how it goes. I've gotten lazy about watching my diet this winter, running is the only thing keeping me from gaining.

Welcome to the Manatees Scott!  :D  

2014-01-10 12:09 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
GO MONICA!GO ERIN!GO LANA!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25840 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38403 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18413 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.