BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-09-09 10:50 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Stay safe everyone! Chris and Hands, I hope the storm has lost some of its bluster by the time it get to you. Lisa and Robin, I hope that it's rains and winds don't affect you. Karen, I hope that this has no impact on your travels. Everyone, I hope that your family stays safe and sound.

Thanks, we've done what we can, shutters are up at multiple houses, yards are cleaned, etc. We have a small amount of stuff left on the to do list before she arrives, but there should be time tonight and Sat morning to get it done. I'm not happy with the most recent updates, but nothing to do now but wait. 

Thanks as well to all of you that have been so kind as to open your homes to a guy you've never even met. I can't tell you how much it has meant to know you all care.

Janyne, I'll probably be counting on you to update folks for me, I'll try to update you as much as I can. BTW, is Kevin's dad ok?

Kevin's dad is a long story. Here goes:

Kevin had a fairly normal relationship with his family growing up. He is the youngest of three siblings -- by several years so maybe an afterthought. His family home neat South Bend, Indiana backed up to his grandmother's house. He spent a lot of time with grandma when he was growing up. He was the only sibling to attend college. He went to Purdue, against is parents wishes. He was able to score some scholarships to pay for part of his freshman year and that swayed them. He was also able to participate in IBM's (paid) internship program and then helped as well.  When he graduated from Purdue, IBM offered him a job in the Raleigh area and I met him shortly thereafter. 

While we were dating, he visited his family for holidays and so on. We dated for about a year, got married after a not to terribly long engagement and about six months later, his mom died suddenly. About six months after that, Kevin's dad married someone (Sandy) closer to our age than to his own age. Ever since then, the relationship has gotten more distant all the time. She had kids from her first marriage and they seem to be the priority. Kevin and I have been married more than 24 years (which means they have been married for over 23 years). They have visited us exactly once during that time. We were visiting them every other year until the last time when we went down to see them and when we got there, only his dad was there.  She had gone to Michigan at the last minute to attend a junior high school volleyball tournament (not kidding) -- because there were college recruiters there.  Really.  We only found out about this after driving 12 hours to see them. And of course Kevin's dad was in a bad mood about the whole thing.

Basically, we hear from them for Christmas and Kevin's birthday. Last year, they called for his birthday and said, "The funniest thing happened! We sent your card to Kenny (his brother)!" Kevin was not amused. This year, he got a card with an all caps and underlines, "Stay in touch!" note. Kevin called immediately and got a generic voicemail message. Kevin looked up what number they called from last time they called and he used that one (we think FL landline?). He left messages on both numbers in July. We have not heard back. Stay in touch indeed!

Oh, they summer in Michigan (near Sandy's kids) but consider Florida their residence (but refer to "up north" as "home" so who knows really).  We don't know if they are in Michigan or Florida now. They have another issue that Sandy's mom, who has zippo in retirement savings and basically lives with them, is probably in Florida even if they are not. When in Florida, they are in a condo in Englewood near Chris. They are on Placida Road near South McCall.

TL;DR We don't even know what state they are in or have their current phone number so no idea.

Ugh!

No kidding. 

Kevin is out of town. I saw that their condo in Florida is in the mandatory evacuation zone. I called every single number that we've ever had for them and eventually got ahold of Sandy. They are in Michigan. Sandy is completely unconcerned about their place in Florida. Did someone put up shutters for you. "Oh, we don't do that. Supposedly the units passed a wind test." I said something else expressing concern and she replied, "The Indians settled there so it's safe. Charlie skipped right over us!" Okie dokie.

In other news, I was able to determined that Chris is NOT in an evacuation zone but the Englewood hospital is being evacuated and is suspending services at noon today. (for those who have not been following along, Chris lives in Englewood, FL as does Kevn's dad and his wife).

2017-09-09 11:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Stay safe everyone! Chris and Hands, I hope the storm has lost some of its bluster by the time it get to you. Lisa and Robin, I hope that it's rains and winds don't affect you. Karen, I hope that this has no impact on your travels. Everyone, I hope that your family stays safe and sound.

Thanks, we've done what we can, shutters are up at multiple houses, yards are cleaned, etc. We have a small amount of stuff left on the to do list before she arrives, but there should be time tonight and Sat morning to get it done. I'm not happy with the most recent updates, but nothing to do now but wait. 

Thanks as well to all of you that have been so kind as to open your homes to a guy you've never even met. I can't tell you how much it has meant to know you all care.

Janyne, I'll probably be counting on you to update folks for me, I'll try to update you as much as I can. BTW, is Kevin's dad ok?

Kevin's dad is a long story. Here goes:

Kevin had a fairly normal relationship with his family growing up. He is the youngest of three siblings -- by several years so maybe an afterthought. His family home neat South Bend, Indiana backed up to his grandmother's house. He spent a lot of time with grandma when he was growing up. He was the only sibling to attend college. He went to Purdue, against is parents wishes. He was able to score some scholarships to pay for part of his freshman year and that swayed them. He was also able to participate in IBM's (paid) internship program and then helped as well.  When he graduated from Purdue, IBM offered him a job in the Raleigh area and I met him shortly thereafter. 

While we were dating, he visited his family for holidays and so on. We dated for about a year, got married after a not to terribly long engagement and about six months later, his mom died suddenly. About six months after that, Kevin's dad married someone (Sandy) closer to our age than to his own age. Ever since then, the relationship has gotten more distant all the time. She had kids from her first marriage and they seem to be the priority. Kevin and I have been married more than 24 years (which means they have been married for over 23 years). They have visited us exactly once during that time. We were visiting them every other year until the last time when we went down to see them and when we got there, only his dad was there.  She had gone to Michigan at the last minute to attend a junior high school volleyball tournament (not kidding) -- because there were college recruiters there.  Really.  We only found out about this after driving 12 hours to see them. And of course Kevin's dad was in a bad mood about the whole thing.

Basically, we hear from them for Christmas and Kevin's birthday. Last year, they called for his birthday and said, "The funniest thing happened! We sent your card to Kenny (his brother)!" Kevin was not amused. This year, he got a card with an all caps and underlines, "Stay in touch!" note. Kevin called immediately and got a generic voicemail message. Kevin looked up what number they called from last time they called and he used that one (we think FL landline?). He left messages on both numbers in July. We have not heard back. Stay in touch indeed!

Oh, they summer in Michigan (near Sandy's kids) but consider Florida their residence (but refer to "up north" as "home" so who knows really).  We don't know if they are in Michigan or Florida now. They have another issue that Sandy's mom, who has zippo in retirement savings and basically lives with them, is probably in Florida even if they are not. When in Florida, they are in a condo in Englewood near Chris. They are on Placida Road near South McCall.

TL;DR We don't even know what state they are in or have their current phone number so no idea.

Ugh!

No kidding. 

Kevin is out of town. I saw that their condo in Florida is in the mandatory evacuation zone. I called every single number that we've ever had for them and eventually got ahold of Sandy. They are in Michigan. Sandy is completely unconcerned about their place in Florida. Did someone put up shutters for you. "Oh, we don't do that. Supposedly the units passed a wind test." I said something else expressing concern and she replied, "The Indians settled there so it's safe. Charlie skipped right over us!" Okie dokie.

In other news, I was able to determined that Chris is NOT in an evacuation zone but the Englewood hospital is being evacuated and is suspending services at noon today. (for those who have not been following along, Chris lives in Englewood, FL as does Kevn's dad and his wife).

in short order the projected path went from off the east coast to slamming  the west coast. Shows you that trying to predict hurricanes is a losing proposition. with the size of Irma both coasts will feel effects , but Chris's area looks to be in major danger. my area is looking at 120mph winds. All this can change right up til it actually happens!

2017-09-09 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We're doing OK, we haven't been evac'd and aren't leaving at this point anyway. It may not be the best option, but it is the one that is the best right now. DD2 should be showing up with BF and 2 kids soon. TW has left to get MIL (10 minute trip) My folks are headed to my sis, who is currently on TV in a county press briefing. I did a neighborhood walk and we are in it for the long haul with a bunch of our neighbors. I'll check in when I can, thanks for all of your care.

2017-09-09 3:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert

We're doing OK, we haven't been evac'd and aren't leaving at this point anyway. It may not be the best option, but it is the one that is the best right now. DD2 should be showing up with BF and 2 kids soon. TW has left to get MIL (10 minute trip) My folks are headed to my sis, who is currently on TV in a county press briefing. I did a neighborhood walk and we are in it for the long haul with a bunch of our neighbors. I'll check in when I can, thanks for all of your care.

Glad to hear you are safe.
2017-09-09 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Quick report from Worlds:

I did manage to finish and survived the race. My slowest HIM ever (this course is probably one of the slowest in the world--just sayin') and not the most glorious of finishes (120th out of 191--not sure if that is total # of starters or finishers when I checked my place--some people were probably still out there), mainly due to slug-like run. Just not much in the system between injury and probably fatigue/poor fueling at that point. Pretty much a survival shuffle. Oddly, I started to feel better in the last two miles--maybe as almost done! Think I did okay on the bike, considering. Power was similar to Calgary (my best bike split and fastest HIM), but much slower course. I just raced by feel-rarely even looked at the power meter.

I felt strong on the hills and did manage to pass some people (of course, many people passed me!) Quite a bit of banana consumption involved. Guts pretty much did okay but felt by mid-run like nothing was going down, it was all stuck there in my stomach. Feeling better now.

Not sure I'd want to repeat this experience between injury, illness, and marathon travel but it was an absolutely beautiful race and so cool for this long-time expat to do Worlds in her own country--no regrets. Thinking about getting ice cream for dinner--seriously!

Hope all BT'ers in Irma's path are safe!

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-09-09 4:40 PM
2017-09-09 5:38 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Quick report from Worlds: I did manage to finish and survived the race. My slowest HIM ever (this course is probably one of the slowest in the world--just sayin') and not the most glorious of finishes (120th out of 191--not sure if that is total # of starters or finishers when I checked my place--some people were probably still out there), mainly due to slug-like run. Just not much in the system between injury and probably fatigue/poor fueling at that point. Pretty much a survival shuffle. Oddly, I started to feel better in the last two miles--maybe as almost done! Think I did okay on the bike, considering. Power was similar to Calgary (my best bike split and fastest HIM), but much slower course. I just raced by feel-rarely even looked at the power meter. I felt strong on the hills and did manage to pass some people (of course, many people passed me!) Quite a bit of banana consumption involved. Guts pretty much did okay but felt by mid-run like nothing was going down, it was all stuck there in my stomach. Feeling better now. Not sure I'd want to repeat this experience between injury, illness, and marathon travel but it was an absolutely beautiful race and so cool for this long-time expat to do Worlds in her own country--no regrets. Thinking about getting ice cream for dinner--seriously! Hope all BT'ers in Irma's path are safe!

Congratulations on qualifying for Worlds two years in a row and for overcoming adversity to get the bling. Impressive!

2017-09-09 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

glad you're currently safe Chris and Hands.
2017-09-10 7:04 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK

Nothing bd has happened yet. Thanks again all!

2017-09-10 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yep, just a little rain right now. Tonight is the witching hour!!
2017-09-10 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
I'm glad that the people in the path of the storm are safe.

My race report is up. I have a great race. PR for the course and 3rd overall for my age group. It finally happened, I out aged the the midlife crisis athletes haha.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by JBacarella 2017-09-10 9:00 AM
2017-09-10 8:58 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I guess I should look at things closer. I just discovered the Strava fly by. That is so cool, especially when it shows me passing people on the course.

2017-09-10 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am obsessing watching this byach come in. My friends are staying on the beach!!!!! My family is hunkered down in Nokomis, fairly inland but flood prone area. I am very glad my Mom is here with us instead of there!!!

2017-09-10 12:52 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by ceilidh

I am obsessing watching this byach come in. My friends are staying on the beach!!!!! My family is hunkered down in Nokomis, fairly inland but flood prone area. I am very glad my Mom is here with us instead of there!!!

Please stay safe those in FL! I'm actually supposed to head to Orlando on Wednesday for some time at Disney as a honeymoon. My GF and I were married in a small courthouse wedding here in Raleigh NC on Friday (less than a week after moving - it's been hectic). in any case, I'm thinking of those of you in FL.

Congrats to the recent racers - sounds like the races went well!
2017-09-10 9:42 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master

Originally posted by awm007

Please stay safe those in FL! I'm actually supposed to head to Orlando on Wednesday for some time at Disney as a honeymoon. My GF and I were married in a small courthouse wedding here in Raleigh NC on Friday (less than a week after moving - it's been hectic). in any case, I'm thinking of those of you in FL. Congrats to the recent racers - sounds like the races went well!

Congratulations Adam!

Sorry to hear that you were ill Karen, but glad that you were able to race.

Way to go Jim!

Glad all are safe for now.  Hope Irma effs off!

2017-09-10 11:20 PM

User image

Master
Chris and Ann Marie: So glad you're doing alright, so far. My family is up in Jacksonville and getting some wet weather and winds, but otherwise okay.

Sounds like you had a super race, Jim! Way to go!

Karen, congratulations on your WC finish! Bummed you weren't feeling well, but way to soldier through.

Had a mountain bike race on Sunday. Had an issue with my chain constantly falling. I'd get behind the front pack, chain would fall, I'd bust my butt to get back towards the front, and repeat. Arrrgh! It was exhausting! I finally called it off at 2 laps of 4 putting myself in the short course race. I was so disappointed because it was such a fun course. Oh well. Bike's in the shop, and the next race is on the same course, so I get to give it another go.

Oh, I registered for Xterra Rotorua! I was looking and looking for a full IM to do, but I wasn't getting excited about it. I thought maybe I just wasn't ready to put in that amount of training, so I looked for a half. Still no real desire, but then I looked at the Xterra calendar and read into Rotorua, which is a huge trail sports festival! Trails runs and MTB races, which has turned this into a girl's trip. One of us is a mountain biker, a couple of us run, and at least 3 of us will be doing the Xterra. My heart is so happy, and I'm pumped to train!

Hope the weather sorts itself out for our Floridians. Happy Monday!

Edited by Blanda 2017-09-10 11:21 PM
2017-09-11 8:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yep, just a little rain right now. Tonight is the witching hour!!

How is everything this morning? 

Steady rain here in ATL. The wind is coming this afternoon but just tropical depression winds. 

2017-09-11 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Please stay safe those in FL! I'm actually supposed to head to Orlando on Wednesday for some time at Disney as a honeymoon. My GF and I were married in a small courthouse wedding here in Raleigh NC on Friday (less than a week after moving - it's been hectic). in any case, I'm thinking of those of you in FL. Congrats to the recent racers - sounds like the races went well!

Congratulations!

2017-09-11 9:01 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Blanda Chris and Ann Marie: So glad you're doing alright, so far. My family is up in Jacksonville and getting some wet weather and winds, but otherwise okay. Sounds like you had a super race, Jim! Way to go! Karen, congratulations on your WC finish! Bummed you weren't feeling well, but way to soldier through. Had a mountain bike race on Sunday. Had an issue with my chain constantly falling. I'd get behind the front pack, chain would fall, I'd bust my butt to get back towards the front, and repeat. Arrrgh! It was exhausting! I finally called it off at 2 laps of 4 putting myself in the short course race. I was so disappointed because it was such a fun course. Oh well. Bike's in the shop, and the next race is on the same course, so I get to give it another go. Oh, I registered for Xterra Rotorua! I was looking and looking for a full IM to do, but I wasn't getting excited about it. I thought maybe I just wasn't ready to put in that amount of training, so I looked for a half. Still no real desire, but then I looked at the Xterra calendar and read into Rotorua, which is a huge trail sports festival! Trails runs and MTB races, which has turned this into a girl's trip. One of us is a mountain biker, a couple of us run, and at least 3 of us will be doing the Xterra. My heart is so happy, and I'm pumped to train! Hope the weather sorts itself out for our Floridians. Happy Monday!

Ugh!  Sorry about the mechanical issues! Glad that you have another chance to conquer the course.

Xterra Rotorua! New Zealand! Woo hoo!

2017-09-11 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No word yet from Chris or Ann-Marie. It looks like Hands lost power at about 7:00 last night and that Chris may be under a boil water advisory. Looking at the maps, it seems that there is a 50/50 chance that Chris is also without power.

Keeping them both in my thoughts. 

2017-09-11 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just heard from Chris. He has now power. He has a generator running for the refrigerator. Hopefully any damage is minimal.

2017-09-11 9:44 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

I just heard from Chris. He has no power. He has a generator running for the refrigerator. Hopefully, any damage is minimal.

Thanks for the updates Janyne!

2017-09-11 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just heard from Ann-Marie. She has no power, lost a few shingles and her neighbor's fence is partially down (which is an issue with letting the dogs out). Hopefully her power will be restored quickly and any damage is minimal.

2017-09-11 10:27 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you for posting all the updates. I hope everyone is safe and the power comes back soon!
2017-09-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Guess I got out of Atlanta on time yesterday. Here in SF now, leaving for airport in about 20 minutes. Best wishes to all those in the storm's path.
2017-09-11 12:20 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Congratulations!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44