General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2007-08-31 2:33 PM
in reply to: #898191

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers
Hope the surgery went well today. 

2007-09-01 9:20 AM
in reply to: #948293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas
I'm sitting on the edge of my computer chair, waiting for the update!
2007-09-01 4:54 PM

User image

DEANNA - SATURDAY, 8/31

[email protected] wrote:

More good news coming from Deanna's way. The surgery to put the AICD in
went very well yesterday. They took her earlier than expected and ran
into no complications. After she went to surgery, she was carted off to a
different room for recovery where she will stay for a little while. Now
that the AICD is in place, she will not have to be on a heart monitor 24
hours a day. The cardiologists said last week that once this device is in
place, she is safe to leave the room and even to go to rehab when ready.
All very encouraging news for Deanna. She'll show rehab that they have to
make it a bit tougher for her. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers for
her safe recovery from surgery and as she continues improve every day.

-Chris
2007-09-01 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Way to pull through like a true champ Deanna!!

You continue to be in my thoughts, prayers, and close to my heart.

Keep it up girl!!

2007-09-03 12:30 PM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY

Cheryl, could you once again post her address, as I am sure she is not in the CCU anymore.  I think now that she is so much more aware of everything, she would appreciate some snail mail and cards. 

Deanna, congrats on your latest step on your path to complete recovery.  You continue to be an inspiration to us all.  Julie

2007-09-04 7:29 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Great news about the surgery!  How was the rest of the weekend?

2007-09-04 10:55 AM

User image

DEANNA - TUESDAY, SEPT 4
Hi Folks,

I appears that the updates from Chirs will be more random rather than daily now as Deanna moves through the rehab phase of her recovery. Once she is physically moved to the Rehab Center, Dee's address will be:
Deanna Babcock
WakeMed Raleigh Campus
Rehab Hospital
3000 New Bern Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27610

Cheryl Read on.....

[email protected] wrote:

Currently, the only thing holding Deanna out of the rehab unit is the
soreness and lack of arm mobility due to the AICD. Despite this, she may
be moving to the rehab unit today. She will start more intensive rehab
and building back both brain and muscle strength. She cannot do any
lifting, pulling, or pushing of any sort with her left arm right now due
to the surgery from Friday.

This Friday, she will begin to be able to try these things out. She does not want to try to strain on the left side of her upper body too much because it may pull the leads out of her heart from the surgery, setting her recovery back.

Other than this, Deanna is eady to get back to her normal life. She actually can't wait to come back to Williams Hall and get back to work. She wants the Rocky theme song playing as she runs up the stairs so that she can make a dramatic
re-entry.

Keep Deanna in your thoughts and prayers as she begins her
rehab part of her recovery.

-Chris
2007-09-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: #951453

User image

Regular
Deanna, you go girl! wow... you seem to be doing great! just to talk about getting back to work is proof of that!

Have a great day Deanna!
2007-09-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: #951453

User image

Regular
Deanna, you go girl! wow... you seem to be doing great! just to talk about getting back to work is proof of that!

Have a great day Deanna!
2007-09-04 7:18 PM

NC
Wow Deanna, you are awesome. I wish I was half as strong as you. Keep it up and we will have to write a book about you. You are in the prayers as always!
2007-09-05 8:26 AM

Veteran
NC
Hey, this is Deanna. Thanks for all of your prayers and support. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I'm alive right now. I continue to be amazed when I get cards and flowers from people that I don't even know.

Today I get to go to rehab (my mom says not the Hollywood kind). I'm pretty excited for that. I have to get measured for a leg and learn how to walk. I also lost a considerable amount of weight (had to be all muscle) in the last few weeks, so I'm working on putting that back on. I think that as I gain weight I'll continue to get stronger. This will help with my mobility.

Yesterday I hopped around with a walker; twice as far as my therapists thought I was going. My goal is to continue to surprise the people working with me. I think I already surprise my nurses too much - except nurses don't like surprises. One day they had to call security on me because my mom helped me escape outside in a wheelchair; I was supposed to not leave the floor I was on. What did they expect? As soon as I wasn't wired to the bed, I made my getaway. I joked that they would never be able to find me because I'm so inconspicuous. I have blond hair, blue eyes, am missing a leg, wearing one red sock, and at one point I was carrying a balloon. They had no chance of spotting me. But really, I had technically been inside for over 6 weeks - what did they expect?

Anyway, I'm doing better everyday. I tell people that they need to warn rehab that I'm coming. I guess when I was in a coma I saved up some sass. I had my physical therapist call me a smart arse , so I think I'm doing good so far. Also, my left arm is getting better from when they put in my AICD, so I'm self-propelled and very dangerous in a wheelchair.

Again, thanks for your support.
Deanna

Edited by dlb3830 2007-09-05 8:29 AM

2007-09-05 8:30 AM
in reply to: #952354

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

dlb3830 - 2007-09-05 8:26 AM Hey, this is Deanna. Thanks for all of your prayers and support. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I'm alive right now. I continue to be amazed when I get cards and flowers from people that I don't even know. Today I get to go to rehab (my mom says not the Hollywood kind). I'm pretty excited for that. I have to get measured for a leg and learn how to walk. I also lost a considerable amount of weight (had to be all muscle) in the last few weeks, so I'm working on putting that back on. I think that as I gain weight I'll continue to get stronger. This will help with my mobility. Yesterday I hopped around with a walker; twice as far as my therapists thought I was going. My goal is to continue to surprise the people working with me. I think I already surprise my nurses too much - except nurses don't like surprises. One day they had to call security on me because my mom helped me escape outside in a wheelchair; I was supposed to not leave the floor I was on. What did they expect? As soon as I wasn't wired to the bed, I made my getaway. I joked that they would never be able to find me because I'm so inconspicuous. I have blond hair, blue eyes, am missing a leg, wearing one red sock, and at one point I was carrying a balloon. They had no chance of spotting me. But really, I had technically been inside for over 6 weeks - what did they expect? Anyway, I'm doing better everyday. I tell people that they need to warn rehab that I'm coming. I guess when I was in a coma I saved up some sass. I had my physical therapist call me a smart , so I think I'm doing good so far. Also, my left arm is getting better from when they put in my AICD, so I'm self-propelled and very dangerous in a wheelchair. Again, thanks for your support. Deanna

Nomination for post of the year!!!

Awesome to see this post.  And I don't think the Rehab unit knows what they are in for.

Keep up the fight and great to see your post here. 

YNWA = You'll Never Walk Alone

2007-09-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: #952361

User image

Veteran
Jamestown, NC
Nomination for post of the year!!!

Awesome to see this post.  And I don't think the Rehab unit knows what they are in for.

Keep up the fight and great to see your post here. 

YNWA = You'll Never Walk Alone

I second the nomination.

Deanna, I am ashamed to say that I was a little down because it has been a difficult week. Ashamed.

I love your humor and "Is that all you got" attitude toward this situation.

It's official, I will reject my tarheel heritage for one day and wear a NCSU Wolfpack logo with your name embroidered on it during my attempt at Ironman Florida this year. Only to honor you and to continually inspire me throughout the day. I am still a tarheel though.

My whole church has heard about you and is praying for you as you continue to overcome.
2007-09-05 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

dlb3830 - 2007-09-05 9:26 AM Hey, this is Deanna. Thanks for all of your prayers and support. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I'm alive right now. I continue to be amazed when I get cards and flowers from people that I don't even know. Today I get to go to rehab (my mom says not the Hollywood kind). I'm pretty excited for that. I have to get measured for a leg and learn how to walk. I also lost a considerable amount of weight (had to be all muscle) in the last few weeks, so I'm working on putting that back on. I think that as I gain weight I'll continue to get stronger. This will help with my mobility. Yesterday I hopped around with a walker; twice as far as my therapists thought I was going. My goal is to continue to surprise the people working with me. I think I already surprise my nurses too much - except nurses don't like surprises. One day they had to call security on me because my mom helped me escape outside in a wheelchair; I was supposed to not leave the floor I was on. What did they expect? As soon as I wasn't wired to the bed, I made my getaway. I joked that they would never be able to find me because I'm so inconspicuous. I have blond hair, blue eyes, am missing a leg, wearing one red sock, and at one point I was carrying a balloon. They had no chance of spotting me. But really, I had technically been inside for over 6 weeks - what did they expect? Anyway, I'm doing better everyday. I tell people that they need to warn rehab that I'm coming. I guess when I was in a coma I saved up some sass. I had my physical therapist call me a smart arse , so I think I'm doing good so far. Also, my left arm is getting better from when they put in my AICD, so I'm self-propelled and very dangerous in a wheelchair. Again, thanks for your support. Deanna

You are one amazing gal Deanna!  Thank you for posting.  I've been in awe by your progress, and thankful to have your family and friends keeping us updated.  You are in my prayers.

I can't wait to see you share about rehab.  Go kick some butt over there!!

Polly 

2007-09-05 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills

dlb3830 - 2007-09-05 8:26 AM Hey, this is Deanna. Thanks for all of your prayers and support. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I'm alive right now. I continue to be amazed when I get cards and flowers from people that I don't even know. Today I get to go to rehab (my mom says not the Hollywood kind). I'm pretty excited for that. I have to get measured for a leg and learn how to walk. I also lost a considerable amount of weight (had to be all muscle) in the last few weeks, so I'm working on putting that back on. I think that as I gain weight I'll continue to get stronger. This will help with my mobility. Yesterday I hopped around with a walker; twice as far as my therapists thought I was going. My goal is to continue to surprise the people working with me. I think I already surprise my nurses too much - except nurses don't like surprises. One day they had to call security on me because my mom helped me escape outside in a wheelchair; I was supposed to not leave the floor I was on. What did they expect? As soon as I wasn't wired to the bed, I made my getaway. I joked that they would never be able to find me because I'm so inconspicuous. I have blond hair, blue eyes, am missing a leg, wearing one red sock, and at one point I was carrying a balloon. They had no chance of spotting me. But really, I had technically been inside for over 6 weeks - what did they expect? Anyway, I'm doing better everyday. I tell people that they need to warn rehab that I'm coming. I guess when I was in a coma I saved up some sass. I had my physical therapist call me a smart arse , so I think I'm doing good so far. Also, my left arm is getting better from when they put in my AICD, so I'm self-propelled and very dangerous in a wheelchair. Again, thanks for your support. Deanna

Great to finally hear from you!  I love the attitude!!!!

2007-09-05 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Hi Deanna, WOW to read your message made my morning.. thank you! I think you should write a book about your experience and your journey. You have so inspired us triatheletes with your story and will continue to do so as you heal, physically and emotionally (and I am sure spriitually). Glad to read your messages and can't wait to read more. Funny about the security! I sure the heck would be making a run for the border myself if I had been in bed for that long.

2007-09-05 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Dee,

I am so happy to see your post!  Of COURSE you keep surprising people with your progress--you are one strong triathlete!  Look out rehab!  Deanna's going to give 'em he11!!

Keep us posted!

2007-09-05 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Hi Deanna, welcome to BT! We've been waiting for you!

2007-09-05 10:00 AM
in reply to: #952461

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
marmadaddy - 2007-09-05 10:43 AM

Hi Deanna, welcome to BT! We've been waiting for you!

What marma said!!!

Good to have you finally here!!

You've got to ask the PT if you can start doing timed intervals with the walker.  And make sure you get a cool rebounding carbon prosthetic!  Got to keep that run speed you know!

Keep up the awesome recovery and you would not believe how many people you will make smile today with your post here.  It has brightened my day for sure!!!!!

Cool

Edited by Daremo 2007-09-05 10:01 AM
2007-09-05 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi Deanna.

You certainly have a fan base here at BT!  Glad to see you're out and about (and escaping already) heh heh.

2007-09-05 10:24 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Deanna.... You TRULY ARE AN INSPIRATION TO THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE! Over the past 6 weeks all of us have struggled w/ a workout, and thought about you! If she can do it.... Then so can we. Congrats to you on your accomplishments!

2007-09-05 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
So great to see you posting here finally...What took you so long!!!

You amazing progress has continually brightened up many of our days, weeks, etc. Yes, this accident was ridiculously random and terrifying, but YOU BEAT IT!!! Think how cool this story will be when you run KONA, the network will go NUTS (okay, getting a little ahead of ourselves).

So happy to see you are back...I'm not the most religious person in the world, but there seems to be something about the power of prayer that did its work here.

Looking forward to your progress posts...no offense to Aunt Cheryl, but I like reading your posts better.

Rehab look out...Deanna's coming and she is going to lay it down like you've never seen before.
2007-09-05 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
YAAAA!! Deanna, it's so wonderful to see you writing on here, you truly just made me so happy I am grinning from ear to ear!!

I wish you all the best in the upcoming rehab process...they don't know what's in store for them, as you are probably the toughest girl I have never met (ha!).

All the best to you...

2007-09-05 10:46 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
Most excellent to "hear" your voice!!  Glad you are making such amazing progress...you sound like a rebel   keep that spirit!!!
2007-09-05 11:49 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY

Deanna,

Glad your back and givin' em he11.  You go rock that rehab girl.  Take care of yourself.  We are all pulling for you.  Julie

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers Rss Feed  

of 22