BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-20 11:19 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!
Originally posted by juniperjen

Hello Manatees! 

JoGo challenge check-in day! 

It really pained me to mark my good eats tab as no because i said that my goal was to eat 5-7 servings of fruits/veg every day and i did 6/7 which i am super happy with but is still not the challenge! progress is progress though! 

Hope those off for the holiday have a lovely day. It's not a holiday here. I have my daughter with me at work because there's a one-day teachers' strike for our board today (it's a whole province-wide negotiation so it's a whole thing). But she's been to the office with Darren a few times and i thought she would actually like my office - so here we are! 

Swimming tonight with the club! 

I got in 6/7 as well. Not perfect, but honestly, far more consistency than I have done in a really long time. So I am glad for that. I had to travel for work this past week for a couple of days so I thought I'd do much worse. But the hotel I stayed at gave me the passcode to a local gym in town that was 24 hours. I've stayed at this hotel several times in the past but never even thought about asking if they had a gym. Without JoGo I likely still would not have asked. Home this week, but then traveling all next week to two different locations, so that's gonna be a little tricky, but I'm determined to put points on the board.

2020-01-20 12:59 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yes, we have the day off but I will probably go into work later and *try* to catch up a bit. Report cards due in two weeks and I haven't even started!

If it helps, I spent my entire morning (8:00 a.m.-noon) grading a stack of 100+ papers (formative assessment), scouring the Internet for ways to help my 8th graders practice their understanding of allusions (and found an interesting teacher created online task that included student work in which the students--rather than completing the task--drew pictures of penises and wrote "Help me!" pleas in lieu of the work that is now available for the world to see), writing lesson plans, and I started grading the 100+ narratives that I assigned last week. I made a dent, but I'm nowhere close to where I need to be and not stress about it later this week. #teacherlife
2020-01-20 2:19 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello Manatees! 

It really pained me to mark my good eats tab as no because i said that my goal was to eat 5-7 servings of fruits/veg every day and i did 6/7 which i am super happy with but is still not the challenge! progress is progress though! 

Hope those off for the holiday have a lovely day. It's not a holiday here. I have my daughter with me at work because there's a one-day teachers' strike for our board today (it's a whole province-wide negotiation so it's a whole thing). But she's been to the office with Darren a few times and i thought she would actually like my office - so here we are! 

I spent the night in the woods with Ann. We had little to eat, took a ride through the woods and decided not to eat breakfast until we got home this morning. So, first thing I did when I walked in was get on the scale. Riding+not eating=A good challenge number! 

This is from the trip, which was only 20 minutes from the house. We stayed at the Hilton Hammock Inn, IE, the Carlton Preserve. Heading back out there next weekend for a group trip. The gator was on the trail:

He didn't even move when we rode by. It is the time of year when their bodies slow down due to the cold weather.

2020-01-20 2:53 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Hello Manatees! 

I spent the night in the woods with Ann. We had little to eat, took a ride through the woods and decided not to eat breakfast until we got home this morning. So, first thing I did when I walked in was get on the scale. Riding+not eating=A good challenge number! 

This is from the trip, which was only 20 minutes from the house. We stayed at the Hilton Hammock Inn, IE, the Carlton Preserve. Heading back out there next weekend for a group trip. The gator was on the trail:

He didn't even move when we rode by. It is the time of year when their bodies slow down due to the cold weather.

Nice job on the weight loss.  I would have lost at least a couple of pounds with a deposit in my shorts if I had to ride by that big fella!

2020-01-20 5:26 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Laura is famous!  She's on page 54 of the magazine -- commemorating her performance at MiamiMan!

2020-01-20 6:21 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nate, I love your "distance traveled" JoGo!

2020-01-21 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Laura is famous!  She's on page 54 of the magazine -- commemorating her performance at MiamiMan!

How cool!
2020-01-21 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I failed miserably on the GoJo. I am trying to get even the teeniest bit of motivation and just miss it every time. I just get going and something else breaks. Starting over again.
2020-01-21 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

what magazine?

2020-01-21 7:56 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

what magazine?

USA Triathlon. Sorry.  I think that I started to look for the online edition (not yet available) and forgot to go back to my post when I couldn't link.

Winter 2020 will be here at some point...  It'll be the one with gamification (aka Zwift) on the front.

2020-01-21 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jen Snyder and any other Manatees with home treadmills, this Runn device looks interesting.  It will transmit TM speed and grade.

I don't think that it's that feasible for me to use it at the Y though, since you have to (1) have the white spot on belt and (2) have the little device mounted on the TM itself.

The device itself is about $100 US but could be used by multiple people in the household.

Although the DCR article focuses on using this for Zwift Run, personally, I'd probably just use it to have a more accurate (and less frustrating when trying to do treadmill intervals!) experience. 

2020-01-21 9:52 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

what magazine?

USA Triathlon. Sorry.  I think that I started to look for the online edition (not yet available) and forgot to go back to my post when I couldn't link.

Winter 2020 will be here at some point...  It'll be the one with gamification (aka Zwift) on the front.

Omg yay for Laura!!
WHen you get a chance, would you mind posting a screen shot? I am no longer a member, and do not receive those magazines anymore...
2020-01-21 9:54 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by ceilidh

I failed miserably on the GoJo. I am trying to get even the teeniest bit of motivation and just miss it every time. I just get going and something else breaks. Starting over again.

Hey, there is always a new week to start all over Keep going!
2020-01-21 11:02 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83

what magazine?

Omg yay for Laura!! WHen you get a chance, would you mind posting a screen shot? I am no longer a member, and do not receive those magazines anymore...

x2, for us Canadians ... not going to join USAT. But that's so cool!!! 

2020-01-21 12:51 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

what magazine?

neat! yes please post when you can. If I got the magazine it has been recycled
2020-01-21 2:27 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Manatees Gear Quations

So...I have a silly gear question. 

I don't go to a lot of big races.  At local Sprint triathlons with 150 participants, you don't see a lot of fancy gear.  My last race was a decent-sized event with possibly 400 athletes and there were a few people with their Ventum One Beam bikes, Freak of Nature wet suits, and Oakley ARO 7 bike Helmets.  I saw some really cool custom bike paint jobs and customized images on rear wheel covers.  The thing that is sticking out in my head right now though are the mid-high cycling socks that I saw. 

When I started the sport 5 years ago the big thing was to go sockless so that you don't have to put socks on in T1 saving you 10 seconds in transition.  So, does anyone know what is up with the mid-high cycling/run socks?  Is that a thing in Triathlon?  My intuition tells me that sockless would be more aero and that if you don't want to go sockless that an ankle sock would be the way to go.  So why did I see a big-name race team wearing mid-high cycling/run socks that were custom made to match their race kits?  Are these for show, performance, other?  Our swim was canceled at that race due to high winds so we all did a Duathlon and I wonder if that team would have worn their custom mid-high socks if they had to swim before mounting their bikes. 

Does anyone use cycling socks or have personal opinions on them? 

Who goes sockless vs socks at races?

2020-01-21 3:05 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Gear Quations

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Are these for show, performance, other?  Our swim was canceled at that race due to high winds so we all did a Duathlon and I wonder if that team would have worn their custom mid-high socks if they had to swim before mounting their bikes. 

Are they compression socks maybe? Like shortie compression socks? 

I wear socks 100% of the time because if I don't, I'll get blisters. Easy decision for me.

2020-01-21 3:07 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado

I don't go to a lot of big races.  At local Sprint triathlons with 150 participants, you don't see a lot of fancy gear.  My last race was a decent-sized event with possibly 400 athletes and there were a few people with their Ventum One Beam bikes, Freak of Nature wet suits, and Oakley ARO 7 bike Helmets.  I saw some really cool custom bike paint jobs and customized images on rear wheel covers.  The thing that is sticking out in my head right now though are the mid-high cycling socks that I saw. 

When I started the sport 5 years ago the big thing was to go sockless so that you don't have to put socks on in T1 saving you 10 seconds in transition.  So, does anyone know what is up with the mid-high cycling/run socks?  Is that a thing in Triathlon?  My intuition tells me that sockless would be more aero and that if you don't want to go sockless that an ankle sock would be the way to go.  So why did I see a big-name race team wearing mid-high cycling/run socks that were custom made to match their race kits?  Are these for show, performance, other?  Our swim was canceled at that race due to high winds so we all did a Duathlon and I wonder if that team would have worn their custom mid-high socks if they had to swim before mounting their bikes. 

I go no socks
My main reason is to save time in tranistions. I know it's not that much time, but hey - if I cannot cut my times at swim/bike/run, I cut them at transition
I never had any issues, I worried about blisters at first, but nothing happened.

As for your question for the teams, I am no expert here. But I noticed they don't do socks during Olympic events, nor UTI events. I cannot imagine any of them would waste precious seconds on the socks... So maybe the folks you are reffering to wear them only for promotional matters?
2020-01-21 3:50 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

Are these for show, performance, other?  Our swim was canceled at that race due to high winds so we all did a Duathlon and I wonder if that team would have worn their custom mid-high socks if they had to swim before mounting their bikes. 

I wear socks 100% of the time because if I don't, I'll get blisters. Easy decision for me.

I've seen folks wear them and recently saw a large display of them at a local running store. I've never worn them, but what I've seen appear to be compression socks. I'm with Lisa, I always wear socks to avoid blisters. Never bought compression socks, but here is an article on the pros/cons of them:

https://minneapolisrunning.com/compression-socks-for-runners/

2020-01-21 5:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Purely a  guess, but I bet they wore them bc it was a duathlon. Putting any socks on after the swim takes time and mid-calf would take even more-potentially, so I doubt they'd wear them for a triathlon. But since it was a du they just completed their kit with the socks.

I wear socks for anything longer than a sprint just bc i will only wear my zoot running shoes for short distances and they are the only kind i can wear without socks. 

Edited by amd723 2020-01-21 5:17 PM
2020-01-21 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

what magazine?

neat! yes please post when you can. If I got the magazine it has been recycled

PDF attached.  I added a JPEG so that it's viewable here as well.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-21 5:20 PM

(Laura USAT Magazine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Laura USAT Magazine.pdf (1156KB - 2 downloads)
Laura USAT Magazine.jpg (2614KB - 4 downloads)

2020-01-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've seen some pros wearing compression socks for the run, but really only for half and (mostly) full iron distance. My guess is they think it prevents cramping. But they're probably putting them on in T2. Definitely I would NOT try to put anything but short socks on after the swim. I would like to run sockless for sprints, but can't due to a bone spur on one heel. It really only causes problems with some models of shoes, and when I run without socks. Tried racing sockless a few times but altered stride due to uncomfortable blisters cancelled out the time saved in transition, even for 5K.
2020-01-21 9:56 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Yes, we have the day off but I will probably go into work later and *try* to catch up a bit. Report cards due in two weeks and I haven't even started!

If it helps, I spent my entire morning (8:00 a.m.-noon) grading a stack of 100+ papers (formative assessment), scouring the Internet for ways to help my 8th graders practice their understanding of allusions (and found an interesting teacher created online task that included student work in which the students--rather than completing the task--drew pictures of penises and wrote "Help me!" pleas in lieu of the work that is now available for the world to see), writing lesson plans, and I started grading the 100+ narratives that I assigned last week. I made a dent, but I'm nowhere close to where I need to be and not stress about it later this week. #teacherlife

Wait, your kids actually turn in work? I will actually ground kids from playing in my class until they finish work from another class. Yes, I will tell them they are grounded from playing in band or orchestra until they turn in their Mystery paper or their math homework. Then I make them sit in class and get their work done.

I'm also glad our kids aren't the only middle school kids who dray male anatomy parts on random assignments, walls, desks, etc. I am truly afraid to say I have never found one of these pictures in my room because I don't want to jinx that!

2020-01-21 10:04 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

It depends on the moment for me. If it's cold I will wear socks on the bike. If it's hot I won't. I always wear socks on the run because my shoes rub my scar from my ankle/foot surgery.

If it's a Sprint I never wear socks on the bike unless it's really cold. I still wear socks on the run.

Truthfully, my coach and I joke that I must order take out because my transition times are so slow. Putting on socks isn't really going to change my T1 or T2 time. I'm a sloth in transition.
2020-01-21 11:51 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Well...the team that I saw wearing the mid-high cycling socks were definitely the best dressed athletes I have seen at any Triathlon.  They had custom carbon wheel sets with colored patterns to match their custom color patterned bike frames to match their custom color patterned helmets to matched their team kit.  So naturally they needed custom mid-high socks to put there estreme look over the top.  The Sock Guy is listed as one of there team sponsor and I just went to the website and it look like they must have the SCX 6" polypropylene, nylon and spandex blend.  I had dismissed the socks as something eccentric done by and eccentric team, but then mid-high Kiwami Cycling/Running socks came up as a product of the day sales plug, and finally I saw photos from a team camp of another big name triathlon team with them all riding in a line in their team gear and they all were wearing matching mid-hi socks.  I wear socks because I don't want the rubbing to alter any of my mechanics or cause blisters.  I do the ankle socks but had been wondering about this trend I had been seeing.  I was guessing it was more fad than fabulous but was wondering if anyone else had seen the fad or knew what the deal was.  I am strongly leaning towards it just being for show.  :-

Ya...my Transition times are slow too.  My coach told me that I am not supposed to eat breakfast in T1 and I was like, "How did he know"? 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-01-21 11:59 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127