BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-02 4:46 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Proof of life post.     Need to catch up.....

I was wondering where you'd gone to. Something I've been meaning to ask is, what is your avatar of? I feel I should know, but don't. Good to have you back.

Dr. Doom.    Couldn't find a suitable picture or gif of Dr. Faustus....

Curiosity sated. Thank you.

2015-01-02 4:51 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

January 3-4
Adrienne - 25K Tiger Mountain Loop on Saturday

Disabled List
Mary - knee

January 4 is Kirsten's birthday.  Happy birthday Kirsten!

Go speedy Salty.

Heal up Mary
2015-01-02 4:59 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Mary interesting that your knee problems started when you tried to change your gait.

I have read a few different things of late all saying not to try and change this as it leads to injury. But rather to work with what you have and generally just wear the shoes that you need to wear in order to combat as many of the issues that your natural gait creates as possible.

I have seen a few people try and change the way their dogs and horses trot (for showing purposes - which I think is just dumb) and it always seems to result in more problems and imbalances showing up, I wonder if it's the same for people.
2015-01-02 6:05 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK Mary interesting that your knee problems started when you tried to change your gait. I have read a few different things of late all saying not to try and change this as it leads to injury. But rather to work with what you have and generally just wear the shoes that you need to wear in order to combat as many of the issues that your natural gait creates as possible. I have seen a few people try and change the way their dogs and horses trot (for showing purposes - which I think is just dumb) and it always seems to result in more problems and imbalances showing up, I wonder if it's the same for people.

I've had that same thought and brought it up with my coach.  She and her boss want to do another video assessment.  Given how prone to ITB stuff I am after my hip surgeries, I'm wondering if that's what's causing the problem.  I shortened my stride and increased my cadence, but maybe I overcompensated or something, or just switched too fast instead of doing it gradually.  I did correct my arm swing to be more square, which I really like and feels really good.  I'm curious to find out what the PT says and what the new video analysis will show.

2015-01-02 6:44 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Since a few pets have been posted I figure I would post a picture of one of my dogs...This is Denny in his normal state :D

2015-01-02 7:40 PM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

We're going to be a 2 kitty family again!!!!  My Things have been looking for a cat for me since the big girl died......today they showed me their picks off a rescue site.  Problem is the rescue groups won't let me adopt because I declaw.  (seriously)  So Miss Thing tweeted this afternoon about looking for a new kitty.....One of her hall mates at college has a family member with a soon to be Mama cat.  Mama kitty is a charcoal tabby and Daddy kitty is lighter gray tabby.  Litter is due in 2 weeks so I should have a new furlball to cuddle with in about 10 weeks.

2015-01-02 7:41 PM

User image

Master

This woman is my former student's grandmother.  I only hope to be able to continue to this age!

2015-01-02 7:49 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by IronOx

This woman is my former student's grandmother.  I only hope to be able to continue to this age!

Darn, Grandma beat my marathon time from 2013!! I KNEW that I was not cut out for that distance!!

2015-01-02 8:52 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Originally posted by QueenZipp

We're going to be a 2 kitty family again!!!!  My Things have been looking for a cat for me since the big girl died......today they showed me their picks off a rescue site.  Problem is the rescue groups won't let me adopt because I declaw.  (seriously)  So Miss Thing tweeted this afternoon about looking for a new kitty.....One of her hall mates at college has a family member with a soon to be Mama cat.  Mama kitty is a charcoal tabby and Daddy kitty is lighter gray tabby.  Litter is due in 2 weeks so I should have a new furlball to cuddle with in about 10 weeks.

Our vet requested that we declaw our older cat, Caesar, because he was climbing the walls when he was a kitten. Seriously. Our vet is a no-declaw vet so I was shocked! As a result we weren't able to adopt from a rescue group either. Last summer I took Caesar in for his check-up and came home with Lilo as well. She and the rest of the litter were being fostered at the vets office and they held a few for me to pick from. It was love at first cuddle!

I can't wait to see pics of your new fur ball!
2015-01-02 9:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Oh Judi, please, please, please don't declaw cats - you are amputating digits from their feet when you declaw them!  

http://www.pawproject.org/

Edited by blueyedbikergirl 2015-01-02 9:35 PM
2015-01-02 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Add me to the racing list--I have a duathlon tomorrow. Yay, first 2015 race!!!

Edited by kgore 2015-01-02 10:38 PM

2015-01-02 10:45 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Mary, I would love to join the challenge! I got in about 30 minutes of heavy lifting and a decent 20 minute walk ( didn't want to go crazy the day before my race.). Maybe it'll help me actually show up here on a regular basis, ya know?
2015-01-03 1:28 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO SALTY!!!
GO KATIEFROG!!!

I do not do the du, so I am fascinated and a bit envious.

Take care, HappyStoned. Keep looking for answers and doing what you know is good for you

2015-01-03 4:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi everyone one my trainer for the next 70 minutes and bored already after 5. What do you do to keep yourself entertained on your long trainer rides?
2015-01-03 5:48 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi everyone one my trainer for the next 70 minutes and bored already after 5. What do you do to keep yourself entertained on your long trainer rides?

I can't ride my trainer unless I'm watching something on tv.  I watch Netflix mostly.  Each winter I pick a series and go through all the episodes.  Last year I watched all the original Star Trek episodes.  I'm going through Revolution now.  I occasionally will stream old Kona races, ITU races, and cyclocross on youtube.  Wish I had Universal Sports. They show more cycling tours.

Edited by popsracer 2015-01-03 5:49 AM
2015-01-03 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Better late than never?? Once a Manatee, Always a Manatee!!

Bio.....

NAME: Jonathan

STORY: I came to this sport 2.5 years ago looking for a way to maintain the weight that I lost and with dreams of one day doing a Ironman Triathlon. In May of 2014 I accomplished that at Ironman Texas after losing a total of almost 80 pounds. It's been an incredible journey and I have fallen in love with the sport. Since then I have been elected President of my local Tri club, elected Race Director for our local Triathlon we put on in September and just recently joined racing team Cobb Mobb for the 2015 racing season. I've been struggling with a hamstring injury since October and so have taken the last few months off trying to let my body heal and give myself a mental break from 2 years of Ironman Training. I'm back and its great to be back!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys ages 6, 3 and a baby girl born in Sept
CURRENT TRAINING: Easing back into training this week with goals of being at full volume in 2 weeks
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: So far I have a 15k in March, Texas 70.3 in April, Olympic in May, Oilman 70.3 in Nov with some Road Racing scattered in there as well. (yes I fell in love with Road Racing too
BODY COMPOSITION: I'm about 15 pounds over race weight due to taking time off the last few months. Have some work to do

Mary.....count me in on the challenge!

2015-01-03 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi everyone one my trainer for the next 70 minutes and bored already after 5. What do you do to keep yourself entertained on your long trainer rides?

A combination of the TV, loud music, Trainer Road, or if I'm really into beating myself up then a Sufferfest video.  The longest trainer ride I've managed is 1:45...that was like pulling out my fingernails.

2015-01-03 9:26 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by popsracer

I can't ride my trainer unless I'm watching something on tv.  I watch Netflix mostly.  Each winter I pick a series and go through all the episodes.  Last year I watched all the original Star Trek episodes.  I'm going through Revolution now.  I occasionally will stream old Kona races, ITU races, and cyclocross on youtube.  Wish I had Universal Sports. They show more cycling tours.

I watch TV -- usually home shows since they don't really need sound.  Kevin watches movies or other recorded stuff VERY LOUDLY.

2015-01-03 9:34 AM

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK

Hi everyone one my trainer for the next 70 minutes and bored already after 5. What do you do to keep yourself entertained on your long trainer rides?

During my warm up and easy spins I will play Candy Crack or something on the iPad. When I get to the main set I have to focus or I lose where I am (squirrel!). I also spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to keep the cat off my bike. I think she's telling me to work harder here:

(workharder.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
workharder.jpg (24KB - 2 downloads)
2015-01-03 9:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I watch TV -- usually home shows since they don't really need sound.  Kevin watches movies or other recorded stuff VERY LOUDLY.

I've tried watching things WHILST on the drainer but found I can't concentrate on what I'm watching when I'm generally hanging on for dear life.
I tend to clock watch when on Trainer Road, but since getting the Kickr I find I'm Watt watching. Have managed 3 hour trainer rides at 80% FTP doing this. I like figures
2015-01-03 11:05 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master

Good morning, Pod!

Strava stalking shows several of you off to a flying start this weekend

J and I got out for a great ride yesterday. Went out to San Tan where we had hiked a few weeks ago and got some of my riding confidence back after my two big spills. Left the house when it was 27* and wore layers to be ready. Think it was 40* when we got on the trail, and within 3mi I was shedding clothes. Whew! I forgot how much work pedaling up a mountain is  Quite a bit of traffic on the upper section of trails (it's open to hikers/bikers/horses). Trails are well maintained and people are polite about sharing. Wish we lived closer to it (45min drive each way) because I'd be going a whole lot! Several other trails we didn't get to this time, but we will :D

(20150102_113646.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150102_113646.jpg (86KB - 3 downloads)

2015-01-03 11:15 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

WOW - go on one short vacation and miss a dozen pages - and as many new Manatees!  Welcome to the new pod-mates (so many with duplicative names, it'll make it that much more entertaining!).  Spent a long time last night reading through, but still have a couple pages to catch up on (left off around page 12, as I drifted into the arms of Morpheus).

As for the drainer - I can't really watch TV unless it's a sooooper easy session.  Sometimes can warm up with a youtube vid or two on something interesting and then hit the main set with music.  Usually just have music (I can't concentrate enough even for a podcast or mindless shows - as I can during a long, ez run or recovery spin).

Bad news here is that I'm now on the running DL, not a month from my first race in a long time and first of the year.   I was so looking forward to it, too.  Felt a twinge in my achilles toward the end of yesterday's run.  Came home at a silly easy pace and tried to ignore it, but it woke me several times last night just lying in bed.  Confirmed point tenderness, but not insertional or anything like a full thickness tear.   Ugh.  

Welp, nothing for it but off to the pool.

Hope our couple racers rock it this weekend!

Matt

2015-01-03 11:17 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Good morning, Pod!

Strava stalking shows several of you off to a flying start this weekend

J and I got out for a great ride yesterday. Went out to San Tan where we had hiked a few weeks ago and got some of my riding confidence back after my two big spills. Left the house when it was 27* and wore layers to be ready. Think it was 40* when we got on the trail, and within 3mi I was shedding clothes. Whew! I forgot how much work pedaling up a mountain is  Quite a bit of traffic on the upper section of trails (it's open to hikers/bikers/horses). Trails are well maintained and people are polite about sharing. Wish we lived closer to it (45min drive each way) because I'd be going a whole lot! Several other trails we didn't get to this time, but we will :D

Nice!

Where's San Tan?

Matt

2015-01-03 11:35 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors - OPEN to all kinds!

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!  

Well, we started off the new year with a raging thundery rain storm which meant that we had 2 freaked out kitties - one of which decided that under the covers and melded to me was the best place to pass the storm.  For 2 hours.  

It was a tad hard waking up this morning, but we eventually made it to the living room, out for some grocery shopping and then to go and meet 2 rescue dogs that we're hoping to adopt!  OMG - I wanted to take them home NOW, but thankfully the foster parents (who have NINE dogs (down from 13), a cat and a pig living with them right now) said if we decide to adopt the pups we can leave them with the foster family until we move into the d*mn house.  The only fly in the ointment I see with my awesome master plan is that there is another family going over to check out one of the rescue pups and as they called first, they get the first decision to say whether they want to adopt the one or not.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be able to give them BOTH a home, but either way, the pups will be going to good homes.  :D 

WOOT!  

Yay, new puppies! What kind?

The rescue kind!!  On the left is Deuce and on the right in Brisket - we're hoping to be able to adopt them both, but there's another family going to meet with Deuce tonight.  Sad face.  

Deuce and Brisket

Handsome! Hope you get them, or at least Deuce. You know how I feel about rescue pups...

They don't sit on my bars while I'm on the trainer, but probably only because the whirring sound puts them to sleep (Pogo was too close to my pedal to fit in the picture)

(20141231_153631.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20141231_153631.jpg (51KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I've tried watching things WHILST on the drainer but found I can't concentrate on what I'm watching when I'm generally hanging on for dear life. I tend to clock watch when on Trainer Road, but since getting the Kickr I find I'm Watt watching. Have managed 3 hour trainer rides at 80% FTP doing this. I like figures

Movies & shows via Netflix for easier workouts. Sufferfest for harder.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55379 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.