BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)
Originally posted by StaceyKIn another birthday suprise, this is Coco
More puppiness! Oooohhh...Just want pinch those cheeks.

2015-10-27 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by StaceyK In another birthday suprise, this is Coco

She's a whole lot of adorableness!  

2015-10-27 12:00 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Seattle

Welcome Lisa! 

Janyne, OMG sooooooooo cute.

Erin Love the pics. I really want to do a Bryce, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, Arches, Grand-Staircase-whatever-the-heck-else-National-Forest-Park-ETC-Extravaganza. Doing notable runs in each location. BTW, do you guys have a 4x4 to get to some of these places (this may or may not be a self serving question with a follow-up  

I did an excellent mountain-venture trail run over the weekend. 

It was about 22 miles and 5K gain (and loss.)

I have found the IDEAL running buddies. Three of them are  atmospheric scientists and the other works on mapping data for google. I didn't even have to use my brain once. Just let them do all the planning and thinking and I just had to run

2015-10-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Wow such lovely photos today! Puppies! Mountains! Scenery! 

I have a follow up x-ray this afternoon and am very antsy to hear if my fibula is on the right track. It's only been 16 dayssssssss but feels like forever. I did manage to wrangle on some tights this morning as it's finally fall weather here (and I am wearing only skirts and dresses to work with this huge boot on my foot). 

2015-10-27 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Another awesome adventure with great pics Adrienne.  Would be pretty cool if you could run Monument Valley in March.  I was watching the movie Desert Runners and then I saw this and thought it is the same type of epic run (considerably shorter) without having to go to China or South America.  Here is the link again.

http://www.grandcircletrails.com/monument-valley-general-info/

2015-10-27 12:27 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by lisac957

I have a follow up x-ray this afternoon and am very antsy to hear if my fibula is on the right track. It's only been 16 dayssssssss but feels like forever. I did manage to wrangle on some tights this morning as it's finally fall weather here (and I am wearing only skirts and dresses to work with this huge boot on my foot). 

Yes, it's been puppy madness.  The kitties are getting jealous.  I'll have to dig up a pic of our little Lulu.  She is the twin of Monica's dark tabby.

Hope the x-ray shows things healing well.

2015-10-27 12:32 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Adrienne I just started following you on Instagram, and I love seeing your photos! Maybe even....dare I say it....more than the puppy pics? No...nevermind. Of course the puppies win. But just barely.
2015-10-27 12:43 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh, I know the feeling.  I had to buy pull on clothing when I had only one working arm.  Ugh!

Hey, did you see that Vineman was branded?  I'm not sure how I feel about that. For independents that leaves what?  Redman and Great Floridian and B2B now that Chesapeakeman and Vineman were acquired.

2015-10-27 12:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Oh, I know the feeling.  I had to buy pull on clothing when I had only one working arm.  Ugh!

Hey, did you see that Vineman was branded?  I'm not sure how I feel about that. For independents that leaves what?  Redman and Great Floridian and B2B now that Chesapeakeman and Vineman were acquired.

There was the Wilderman, but not sure if that will stay. Looks like "fast" on the bike & run was 9 and 7 hrs. Each.

2015-10-27 1:06 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think Ironman Vineman sounds kind of redundant.  I hate to see it.  It was a very well organized event without WTC.  A good large race IM alternative to WTC.  I don't have anything against WTC just that more options in the market is beneficial.

2015-10-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Atlantia Adrienne I just started following you on Instagram, and I love seeing your photos! Maybe even....dare I say it....more than the puppy pics? No...nevermind. Of course the puppies win. But just barely.

What about cats? 

This may be my FAVORITE perso..ahem...personality to follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/miss_raspberry_kittay/?hl=en

2015-10-27 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Atlantia Adrienne I just started following you on Instagram, and I love seeing your photos! Maybe even....dare I say it....more than the puppy pics? No...nevermind. Of course the puppies win. But just barely.

What about cats? 

This may be my FAVORITE perso..ahem...personality to follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/miss_raspberry_kittay/?hl=en

OMG! All productivity has ceased. My life now revolves around that scrunchy face.
2015-10-27 1:25 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Another awesome adventure with great pics Adrienne.  Would be pretty cool if you could run Monument Valley in March.  I was watching the movie Desert Runners and then I saw this and thought it is the same type of epic run (considerably shorter) without having to go to China or South America.  Here is the link again.

Oh that's very cool!

I'm hesitant to RACE something like this. I do these mountainous runs because I really enjoy taking in the scenery. I stop and take about a million photos. Take the time to boil some water and have coffee on the top of some rugged peak. I wonder if that would be lost if I were caught up racing? 

A big advantage would be that support is provided. So, I could sign up and not race per se. But, I wonder if I could really do that 

2015-10-27 1:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Oh that's very cool!

I'm hesitant to RACE something like this. I do these mountainous runs because I really enjoy taking in the scenery. I stop and take about a million photos. Take the time to boil some water and have coffee on the top of some rugged peak. I wonder if that would be lost if I were caught up racing? 

A big advantage would be that support is provided. So, I could sign up and not race per se. But, I wonder if I could really do that 

yeah, think we were discussing this some before. At what point is something more of an event than a race? Slowing down a little to take it in is one thing, but stopping for pictures and such is another. A number of the bike things I've been to the past few years have been clearly on the event side even though the effort can be pushed up for them. I don't know if running has that so much. Even with the more laid back attitude a lot of off road runs have, it could still be a fairly significant attitude/cultural shift in the feel of these.

Getting to Monument Valley would be so cool simply because a fair amount of Airwolf was filmed there.

2015-10-27 1:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Oh that's very cool!

I think your capacity to race something like this is far different than mine so I hear what you are saying.  I know I'm not competitive even in my age group so while yes it is a race per se I will have a time goal but absorbing the full experience is far more important than a few minutes (or more) on my final time.  I have read many race reports in this series and most people are taking the time to take lots of pics and even stop just to marvel at the vistas.  I'm planning on doing the 50k so will have plenty of time to take it in.  If I was running the 4 mile I'd think a bit differently.

2015-10-27 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I think Ironman Vineman sounds kind of redundant.  I hate to see it.  It was a very well organized event without WTC.  A good large race IM alternative to WTC.  I don't have anything against WTC just that more options in the market is beneficial.

It's sad to see that in taking over Vineman, WTC has also done away with 2 aspects of the race: the aquabike & Barb's race which was a fundraiser for local cancer charities.  

2015-10-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Atlantia

What about cats? 

OMG! All productivity has ceased. My life now revolves around that scrunchy face.

OMG - the lack of productivity I'm now facing is alllllllll Salty's fault!!  

2015-10-27 2:33 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, Colorado
Finally... I had time to update my info. I do apologize it took so long. I promise I will catch up with the last few pages of notes and comments. And I will now be back on track with this group.
Here is my info:

*NAME:* My legal name is Maria, although, in Polish the accent is different, so I try to go by Mary or Marysia.
*STORY:* I was a good runner in high school, but my teacher did not care about anybody’s potential and actually made everyone hates phys-ed. I was not running until 6 years ago, when I was training for half-marathon. I completed training up to 10 miles, but did not participate in the race. Over a year ago my co-worker (and best friend) got me back into running and we completed several 5K and 10K races. We did plenty of things wrong, and both ended up with injuries, and, therefore, never made it to half-marathon (which was our goal).
In January this same friend suggested we do sprint triathlon. I thought it was a crazy idea, since it includes… swimming and biking, before running. But she said the distances are pretty small, and we had 8 months to train, so we should manage. I bought a road bike, I started swimming lessons, I run a bit, I fell in love with triathlon and completed three sprints this year.
I was struggling with front crawl (as plenty of you may already know), and completed all my races with breaststroke (which I truly love). I had some individual lessons on freestyle and I am finally able to manage.
I am extremely happy I was able to find a sport that gives me plenty of joy ?
*FAMILY STATUS:* I am single and have two kids: my son is almost 8, and my daughter is 6. I am trying to get my daughter into triathlons, since she seems to be a great swimmer, loves sports and is actually pretty good with athletics. My son is more romantic/artistic type and I truly respect, appreciate, and support it. Hey – his sister and I will need somebody to hold those funny signs and cheer us during the race We have two cats (pictures on page 14).
*CURRENT TRAINING:* Since I am single parent and my kids are not old enough to stay home by themselves, training is a bit of a challenge. I train during my lunch breaks. The university I work for has an athletic center next to my building, so I have a full hour to train, and even get shower before returning to work. I do swimming and running during that time, and once a week 30-minutes core or spin class. I am thinking of yoga class once a month, to help with breathing.
I also swim on Saturday, during my kids swim classes. I bike to/from work, when I get a chance. This is about 11 miles one way. I need to push it hard to make it on time, which is actually great. Other than that – once in a while, when my kids visit their dad, I try to do long runs and add as much training as I can.
For running I use BarryP training program.
*THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:* Nothing more in 2015. For 2016 I planned two Sprint races and two Olympic. Plus half-marathon (depending on my running progress), 5K, and 10K.
*BODY COMPOSITION:* Since I’ve never had weight problems, this is not my concern. I try to focus on how I can help my body/muscles help me with endurance, etc.

Anything else, please ask. I am very open and enthusiastic
Once again - thanks so much for your support! And all the best with your training,
Mary
2015-10-27 2:49 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

PUPPIES!!!  New manatees!!!  Gorgeous pics, as usual, from our adventurous manatees!

2015-10-27 5:39 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I saw that today and it makes me kinda sad. I'm glad I did it when the cost was less than $300 (3-for-2 promotion, my total cost was $297.55!), we can kiss that good bye. It was a very special, smaller, boutique-type of race. That will all go away now, along with what Monica mentioned about the aqua bike and Barb's Race. The venue will always be beautiful, but part of the special-factor of that race was the limited hype and low athlete count.

2015-10-27 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I thought of the Monument Valley conversation when one of my new ultra runner friends posted this on FB

(image.png)

Attachments
----------------
image.png (191KB - 4 downloads)

2015-10-27 10:48 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by rrrunner

I thought of the Monument Valley conversation when one of my new ultra runner friends posted this on FB

TJ, I think this is right up your alley. 

2015-10-28 3:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
OH MY GOODNESS I CANT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT ANY LONGER!!!!

My boss announced today that she is leaving at the end of the year (it may yet be earlier). This is almost even better than my birthday was. In this case it is very definitely not better the devil you know!

I was really tempted to dance around the office with joy but it would have been thoroughly unchristian of me to be so joyous about the news in front of her.
2015-10-28 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK OH MY GOODNESS I CANT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT ANY LONGER!!!! My boss announced today that she is leaving at the end of the year (it may yet be earlier). This is almost even better than my birthday was. In this case it is very definitely not better the devil you know! I was really tempted to dance around the office with joy but it would have been thoroughly unchristian of me to be so joyous about the news in front of her.

What a relief.

PAR-TAY!

2015-10-28 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think I officially have a new weird injury. (I specialize in these. I almost never get "normal" injuries.) I seem to have developed tendinitis in one wrist from muscling the kayak around. Was worried how it would feel swimming, but It affects nothing except that I cannot do an open turn (the kind one does if one doesn't know how to flip, or within/between laps of breast stroke or butterfly) without it being pretty painful (pulling with paddles doesn't sound like a good idea, either). Crazy....the last time I was injured (bruised ribs) I could not do a flip turn. Came close to laughing myself silly DQ-ing myself almost every lap on a 400m IM this afternoon--one-handed turns on all the two-handed stuff and finally a resort to a breast stroke flip turn. My colleague who swam competitively in college and was there coaching some kids kept looking at me like, "Since when did you forget how to swim?" Maybe only Yanti will appreciate how silly it must have looked.

About to hit the Advil--I don't normally but it's driving me nuts as there are a lot of random motions in life where you rotate or push with your wrist. Ouch.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55606 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68407 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29149 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67885 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.