BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by rrrunner Things co-workers say when you return from running an ultra..."Physically I could do it, but I'd get bored". Another guy, after I told him the race was worth being sore for a couple days, said "you just keep trying to convince yourself of that". :/

Ha, people can be interesting!!  I have a rather over weight and sedentary woman I work with (who has type 2 diabetes) who always shakes her head at me when I'm nursing a sore hamstring or achilles and says things like "that's why I don't work out".  My response is my injuries will heal.

2016-05-03 5:36 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by emcmino Thanks for the Happy Birthday wishes everyone. It has been crazy at work lately, so I am behind on my race report from last week, and training this week has been non-existent. I do have a question for the pod though. I came across a triathlon that says the swim is 600 meters in the water parks lazy river (2 laps). Has anyone ever done anything like that? Do you even need to swim or would the current just pull you? Do they have water cannons on the side that spectators can shoot at you? I am not going to lie, to me it kind of sounds fun, but wondered if anyone has done it?

I've done B2B and, despite reports to the contrary, even with the current you do actually have to swim.

WTC has a course in Mexico that looks like a lazy river.That could be your goal race :-D

What's on everyone's race wish list. Fess up, now!  I can't be the only one who has a race wish list! 

We are actually starting to look at race-cations in the future. I have only raced locally, so that should open up some opportunities. I'm not sure I have a wish list, I just want to take advantage of whatever is out there.

I hear that Disney has some races...

Been there, done that, got the tech shirt. 

Although, I have a friend that did the Expedition Everest 10K there, which would be different. I have to see how things go this year. If a few things come together, than we'll see about races in other states.

I could possibly be persuaded to run in Disney, if other Manatees were to be there.

I was gonna say, we need a Manatee racecation or relay or C&O trail ride or something.  Zion half or Ragnar or Disney 2018 or a marathon relay or something.

This would be a ton of fun!  Is Zion half the one that goes through the old train tunnels?  That race, whatever it is, is one of my wish list items.  I could be persuaded to do Disney, although acclimation could be fun...what sort of temps are in FL in January?

When I did the Disney half, it was sleeting.  I believe that is not typical weather but I suspect 40s at race time would be normal.  Hands will let us know!

The average low temperature for January is around 50*, high around 70*, but you never know!  The first year I did Disney is was on target, the next year it was  sleeting for the HM and in the 20*s but clear at the start of the full .  This year I think the temps for both the half and full were probably about 60 at the start and low 70s as a high.

See 60 and 70 are gonna be cold for K and I cause January is the middle of our summer and by then our normal temps are gonna be between 90 and 105. I guess it's easier to layer up to be warm enough than it is to run in heat if you aren't used to it.
2016-05-03 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by rrrunner Things co-workers say when you return from running an ultra..."Physically I could do it, but I'd get bored". Another guy, after I told him the race was worth being sore for a couple days, said "you just keep trying to convince yourself of that". :/

Ha, people can be interesting!!  I have a rather over weight and sedentary woman I work with (who has type 2 diabetes) who always shakes her head at me when I'm nursing a sore hamstring or achilles and says things like "that's why I don't work out".  My response is my injuries will heal.

Maybe you need to change your response back to "and that's why you have type 2 diabetes" harsh I know but it might hit home to her and make her think about some things.
2016-05-03 6:08 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK

Maybe you need to change your response back to "and that's why you have type 2 diabetes" harsh I know but it might hit home to her and make her think about some things.

This woman can't be offended and accepts that she is obese and her behavior caused her condition. She knows she should do something about it, but really doesn't want to.  We've had discussions about working out and changing nutrition, but she has excuses for everything.  

2016-05-04 1:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK

This woman can't be offended and accepts that she is obese and her behavior caused her condition. She knows she should do something about it, but really doesn't want to.  We've had discussions about working out and changing nutrition, but she has excuses for everything.  

Yeah there is one of them at my work too, but she is also a little delusional like TJ's "I could do that" person.
2016-05-04 2:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Okay techies, I need some advice on gear selection for the Transcon' race.

These are the cogs available to me, along with cadence range in increments of 5 rpm and resulting speed in kilometers per hour.

I'm thinking about a 14-32 on the back, need to work out the best spacing for the cogs in between. Will probably be averaging around 85-90 rpm for the majority of the time. I will also be stopping pedaling when going down hills to rest/conserve energy, so anything after about 25 mph/40 kph really.

Edit: Oops, sorry, put up the wrong gear table. Will edit post later and put up the proper one.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2016-05-04 2:28 AM

(Gear Ratios.PNG)

(Gear ratios 15-32.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Gear Ratios.PNG (41KB - 4 downloads)
Gear ratios 15-32.PNG (34KB - 3 downloads)

2016-05-04 2:40 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Morning all!

A week and half till my first tri and I am getting rather excited now even after a dose of food poisoning and the weekend, but hey I didn't need those 7lbs anyway! I have just thought about the transition and is there anything I should be doing or taking with me other than trainers, socks, bike shoes, helmet, race belt etc that will make my life easier on the day and how best should I practice this?
2016-05-04 4:23 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by tomsimperMorning all!A week and half till my first tri and I am getting rather excited now even after a dose of food poisoning and the weekend, but hey I didn't need those 7lbs anyway! I have just thought about the transition and is there anything I should be doing or taking with me other than trainers, socks, bike shoes, helmet, race belt etc that will make my life easier on the day and how best should I practice this?
A towel. Also, if you're wearing socks for the bike, put them on beforehand and then roll them off before putting them into your shoes. Makes putting them on with wet feet 10 times easier. If there's sand about have a bottle of water handy to wash your feet. Are you wearing a tri top in the swim? If not, think about what top you will wear getting on the bike. Trying to put a over-the-head style top on whilst wet can be...interesting. better with a full zip type top.
2016-05-04 4:24 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Happy birthday TJ. Have a great day (said in an American accent ).
2016-05-04 6:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

That's nuts!

Welcome back, ultra runner!

2016-05-04 6:23 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Happy birthday TJ. Have a great day (said in an American accent ).

+1

Happy birthday!

2016-05-04 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Happy birthday TJ. Have a great day (said in an American accent ).

+1

Happy birthday!

+2

Happy, happy birthday!

2016-05-04 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I swear by baby powder in my shoes and socks. It helps them slide on better, keeps them from getting too damp, and they smell better at the end if you are going to chuck them into a duffle or your car afterwards (add more powder as needed after the race). Plus a couple of good-size ziplock bags. You can use them to keep shoes, etc. dry if it's raining during the swim or bike (I know, you get wet on the swim anyway, but I hate starting in wet socks/shoes, especially if air temps are low), and to isolate the stinky, wet stuff after the race if you don't have a bag with one of those waterproof compartments for wet clothes/shoes/equipment.

Yes, maybe I am overly concerned about stink. But consider that all my tris here involve tropical heat/humidity, and my wet stuff sits for several hours in checked baggage afterwards.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-05-04 7:51 AM
2016-05-04 8:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner I swear by baby powder in my shoes and socks. It helps them slide on better, keeps them from getting too damp, and they smell better at the end if you are going to chuck them into a duffle or your car afterwards (add more powder as needed after the race). Plus a couple of good-size ziplock bags. You can use them to keep shoes, etc. dry if it's raining during the swim or bike (I know, you get wet on the swim anyway, but I hate starting in wet socks/shoes, especially if air temps are low), and to isolate the stinky, wet stuff after the race if you don't have a bag with one of those waterproof compartments for wet clothes/shoes/equipment. Yes, maybe I am overly concerned about stink. But consider that all my tris here involve tropical heat/humidity, and my wet stuff sits for several hours in checked baggage afterwards.

The bolded above, and a big towel for post race. After a race I get out of the smelly stuff and into something dry. All the wet, stinky, yucky stuff goes into a plastic bag. I dry off and am comfortable. It sounds like a lot, but it makes the drive home much more bearable.

Transition help - Darren hit the nail on the head. Rolled socks are easier to put on. If you are wearing a shirt to swim, good. If not, realize that putting it on for the bike will involve odd body gyrations and grunting, due to a wet body and a dry shirt My setup looks like this: All stuff on a mat below my bike for the run. I have a small towel on my bike seat to quick wipe after the swim (it is also handy for finding my spot as I run in). Helmet on handlebars with sunglasses in it. I come into T-1, wipe my eyes and feet (in that order is important), put on socks, put on sunglasses, helmet on and outta there. T-2 I come in with my shoes still on the pedals, running in socks. Undo strap on helmet while running. Rack bike, helmet on handlebars, shoes go on feet, and outta there with run belt and visor in hand. It reads like I have this down pat, but I it is always a work in progress.  Pre race I wander through the transition area to familiarize myself with things like entrances and exits, mount and dismount lines, etc.

2016-05-04 8:29 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner I swear by baby powder in my shoes and socks. It helps them slide on better, keeps them from getting too damp, and they smell better at the end if you are going to chuck them into a duffle or your car afterwards (add more powder as needed after the race). Plus a couple of good-size ziplock bags. You can use them to keep shoes, etc. dry if it's raining during the swim or bike (I know, you get wet on the swim anyway, but I hate starting in wet socks/shoes, especially if air temps are low), and to isolate the stinky, wet stuff after the race if you don't have a bag with one of those waterproof compartments for wet clothes/shoes/equipment. Yes, maybe I am overly concerned about stink. But consider that all my tris here involve tropical heat/humidity, and my wet stuff sits for several hours in checked baggage afterwards.

The bolded above, and a big towel for post race. After a race I get out of the smelly stuff and into something dry. All the wet, stinky, yucky stuff goes into a plastic bag. I dry off and am comfortable. It sounds like a lot, but it makes the drive home much more bearable.

Transition help - Darren hit the nail on the head. Rolled socks are easier to put on. If you are wearing a shirt to swim, good. If not, realize that putting it on for the bike will involve odd body gyrations and grunting, due to a wet body and a dry shirt My setup looks like this: All stuff on a mat below my bike for the run. I have a small towel on my bike seat to quick wipe after the swim (it is also handy for finding my spot as I run in). Helmet on handlebars with sunglasses in it. I come into T-1, wipe my eyes and feet (in that order is important), put on socks, put on sunglasses, helmet on and outta there. T-2 I come in with my shoes still on the pedals, running in socks. Undo strap on helmet while running. Rack bike, helmet on handlebars, shoes go on feet, and outta there with run belt and visor in hand. It reads like I have this down pat, but I it is always a work in progress.  Pre race I wander through the transition area to familiarize myself with things like entrances and exits, mount and dismount lines, etc.

I also do the plastic bag thing  but I pack at least one kitchen garbage bag which is also helpful if it rains to stash your transition in.

Try to keep it as simple as possible. Prep most things before hand so you don't have to think about . You will forget things in the rush of the moment.  There are lots of things to remember but really:

T1: Helmet, race number, sunglasses, shoes and socks, everything else should be on your bike .... 

(In my first few races i always meant to wear cycling gloves like i would do riding but i always forgot them - and it's a waste of time anyway ... and i rode with them handing from my front cables, ha!)

t2: Hat, shoes, not much else ... 

Best of luck! It's so exciting! :D 

2016-05-04 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hilarious. Most people are so great but then some people just say things ...

I had a friend of mine basically say the same thing after i was gushing about how much i loved running and she said she once did a 10k and SO bored! Um, that was a little rude in view of how i was saying i loved it. 

Ah well, i keep on keeping on! 

2016-05-04 8:44 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by tomsimper

Morning all!

A week and half till my first tri and I am getting rather excited now even after a dose of food poisoning and the weekend, but hey I didn't need those 7lbs anyway! I have just thought about the transition and is there anything I should be doing or taking with me other than trainers, socks, bike shoes, helmet, race belt etc that will make my life easier on the day and how best should I practice this?

I am so excited for you!! I remember the mix of anxiety and adrenaline before my very first tri ))
I put a pink towel over my bike to make sure I can easily find it (there will be hundreds of bikes and they will all look the same...). I like keeping things simple, so I only had the necessary stuff, what you and Darren mentioned. The only addition is a bottle of water/Gatorade and a snack - just in case. But I never had to use it. Good luck!!
2016-05-04 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by tomsimper

Morning all!

The first Tri is the best, you will love it.

Make sure you take in extra fluids over the next week, especially after having food poisoning.

The only thing I would add to the list is drink flat coke after T2 most courses have it available. It will help with the transition for bike to run, reduce the chances you will get a cramp and give you a little boost of quick energy.
2016-05-04 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I mentioned C&O because I got this email about about a bike ride/excursion from Pittsburgh to DC.  I was getting more and more interested until the price tag  I said to myself, surely we could roll our own for a lot less! 

Also,  I wasn't sure that everyone would be up for 335 miles of togetherness ;-D 

it looks like the C&O section is about 184 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD.  The GAP (Great Allegheny Passage) section is from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh.  The C&O section seems to be closer to more Manatees.

I would so do this! Except....isn't the C&O not paved in parts? Anyone know if you can ride a road bike on the whole thing?
2016-05-04 9:32 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Precious!  I'd invite the first person, the "I'd get bored" person, to join you in your next ultra.  Ah, people.

2016-05-04 9:44 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia

I mentioned C&O because I got this email about about a bike ride/excursion from Pittsburgh to DC.  I was getting more and more interested until the price tag  I said to myself, surely we could roll our own for a lot less! 

Also,  I wasn't sure that everyone would be up for 335 miles of togetherness ;-D 

it looks like the C&O section is about 184 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD.  The GAP (Great Allegheny Passage) section is from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh.  The C&O section seems to be closer to more Manatees.

I would so do this! Except....isn't the C&O not paved in parts? Anyone know if you can ride a road bike on the whole thing?

It's clay or crushed stone.  I think that it's like some of the bike can bridle trails in my area but I don't know for sure.  Given that it's flat (it is an old towpath, after all!), I think that I would take my road bike. 

https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/hikingandbiking.htm

2016-05-04 9:51 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tomsimper Morning all! A week and half till my first tri and I am getting rather excited now even after a dose of food poisoning and the weekend, but hey I didn't need those 7lbs anyway! I have just thought about the transition and is there anything I should be doing or taking with me other than trainers, socks, bike shoes, helmet, race belt etc that will make my life easier on the day and how best should I practice this?

This is so exciting!  I'm echoing what some said, but I'll say it again.  Practice your transitions a few days before hand so you are familiar with the process!  At the minimum I lay everything out as though I were doing the race and practice in my living room.  Think through everything you'll need for each leg: goggles (maybe even take a spare pair along in case), Body Glide/TriSlide, wetsuit.  Helmet, bike shoes, sunglasses, race belt with number, socks (if nec.).  Sneakers, hat (if nec).  A Gu or whatever. 

Set up a little area staging everything how you think you'll set up your spot at the race.  I like to have my helmet straps unclipped and laying off to the sides, helmet upside down with my sunglasses and my race belt inside.  Glasses go on, then belt, then helmet.  On my mat on the ground will be bike shoes, open (I have Velcro closures, so they are open but the strap is still threaded into the whatchmacallit so all I have to do is put them on and pull the Velcro strap shut). Behind that is my running shoes and hat.

Now that your little practice spot is set up (in the yard, in the living room, depending how detailed you want to get with your practice), pretend you are racing.  If you want, put on your wetsuit (if you are wearing one for the race) to practice getting out of it quickly.  Walk away from your gear, then come to it and put on what you need for biking.  Walk away again, taking off the bike stuff and donning your run gear.  Or if you like, do it outside and actually go down the street and back with your bike, etc.  I'd practice a few times until it goes smoothly and you don't need to think about it as much.

Race day: stage your spot.  Make acquaintances with the people around you (I feel this may make them less likely to mess with my stuff plus it's fun and relieves stress a bit to chat).  Leave your spot and as Chris said, find the swim in, practice finding your bike from there.  Find the bike in/out and the run out so you don't need to panic later, not knowing where to go.  Be able to find your spot from the bike in.  Make a little note of something memorable nearby (a sign/tree/whatever), or count the rows of racks to get to your spot.

Above all, have fun!!!

Edited by melbo55 2016-05-04 9:53 AM
2016-05-04 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

It's clay or crushed stone.  I think that it's like some of the bike can bridle trails in my area but I don't know for sure.  Given that it's flat (it is an old towpath, after all!), I think that I would take my road bike. 

Given my proximity, I'll take on the task of investigating and reporting back on conditions! :D
2016-05-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Given my proximity, I'll take on the task of investigating and reporting back on conditions! :D

That would be great!

2016-05-04 10:03 AM

User image

Munich, Bayern
I just wanted to drop by and say hi!

I haven't checked the thread lately, so I apologies for being out of the loop, how is everyone? I hope everyone is doing well and enjoys training and racing.

I had my first race this weekend, I managed to do exactly what I planned and executed it well. I had a halfmarathon with a 1:35 time (my fourth HM and each time I am faster by 2 mins), I managed to break my strava records in all aspect (3:30 1k during the HM! ) So I am very pleased with my progress. Swimming goes along nicely aswell and I tripled my bike training, I ride 150k each week.

I think I am slowly getting there. :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.