BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-11-05 11:34 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Originally posted by kgore

Hey pod--Good to see all the good news; not so much the icky or bad news, but hopefully those cases will improve very soon. In my neck of the woods, I just got done with crazy busy costume time (aka October). While I did do the Cheshire suit and I completed a Black and White Ruffed Lemur suit for a coworker's daughter. Sadly, I did not do well with my Stitch suit, so I will have to continue working on it during the next year (along with other costumes I come up with ). Either way, I am trying to get back into the swing of things workout wise....plenty of motivation, but plenty more laziness. eesh. 

Mom seems to be hanging in there ok, she finished her first round of chemo (2 full week sessions over 4 weeks), with little more than hair loss being her side effects---though she is saying that it is the WORST ever--I think that I would happily lose my hair rather than everything else! In any case, I am glad she is all right. Dad is continuing cardio rehab, and doing well over all, but is frustrated as he can't do enough to continue his weight loss and recovery due to the lack of circulation in his feet (the diabetes again) ---as I know we have some med folks here, does anyone have suggestions how my dad can repair his feet? 

All in all, I can't fuss too much. Work is good, home is good, and as I was told that I HAVE to take 3 extra days off before the end of the year (personal holiday time--use it or lose it...) I found a 1/2 marathon I want to do on Nov. 24....right before the 10k I do on the 28th....hmm, early this year, I was amazed at the thought of even ATTEMPTING a 1/2...now I am happily trying to get a day off to do my 3rd 1/2 this YEAR! wow. Times change. Speaking of...I have decided that I will attempt a half ironman in 2015. (Probably Barb's Race in the Bay area nearby.)  Who'd of thunk it?!?!?

This is a picture of the daughter in the lemur suit. And yes, even in normal clothes she is ridiculously adorable.

LEMUR BABY!!!!

2013-11-06 4:13 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Elite
and tonight i got back on the trainer - yes back on board Terenzo - he rides me hard
2013-11-06 8:51 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
OMG the lemur is so cute!!

HOKAS ARE GOING BACK. **grumble** I used them on the weekends for the last 3 weeks. This past weekend we went 9 miles and after that my tendonitis flared up and my knees ached for 2 days. Not sure if they are too big or just not for me but ADIOS ZAPATOS!

Taking the boss out to lunch for his birthday today - should be a good non productive day!

Have a good day all!

2013-11-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk OMG the lemur is so cute!! HOKAS ARE GOING BACK. **grumble** I used them on the weekends for the last 3 weeks. This past weekend we went 9 miles and after that my tendonitis flared up and my knees ached for 2 days. Not sure if they are too big or just not for me but ADIOS ZAPATOS! Taking the boss out to lunch for his birthday today - should be a good non productive day! Have a good day all!

Adios zapatos, indeed!  Enjoy your non-productive day and lunch!

Edited by melbo55 2013-11-06 9:37 AM
2013-11-06 9:39 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Swimming question: does anyone have any tips on how to correct/remove my little scissors kick I do when I breathe?  I've been really trying to not do it and thought I was doing better but apparently I'm still doing it.

2013-11-06 10:01 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by melbo55

Swimming question: does anyone have any tips on how to correct/remove my little scissors kick I do when I breathe?  I've been really trying to not do it and thought I was doing better but apparently I'm still doing it.

This is one of those where it's really difficult to tell without video (or even stills). Scissor kick usually happens because the legs are trying to keep the body in balance, meaning something you're doing with (usually) the upper body is causing the legs to feel like they need to compensate.

So something is probably going on with your stroke when you breathe. Just completely randomly, I'd wager it's your lead arm pressing down. Another possibility is that you're not breathing neatly to the side in sync with body roll, but that your head is popping up a bit. Or both.

Or it could be that you just take a scissor kick.

That's a long way of saying that when something is off in the swim technique, it's usually the effect of a cause. Better to find the cause. More rarely, but it does happen, is that the thing is just wonky itself.

2013-11-06 10:11 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TriAya

This is one of those where it's really difficult to tell without video (or even stills). Scissor kick usually happens because the legs are trying to keep the body in balance, meaning something you're doing with (usually) the upper body is causing the legs to feel like they need to compensate.

So something is probably going on with your stroke when you breathe. Just completely randomly, I'd wager it's your lead arm pressing down. Another possibility is that you're not breathing neatly to the side in sync with body roll, but that your head is popping up a bit. Or both.

That's a long way of saying that when something is off in the swim technique, it's usually the effect of a cause. Better to find the cause. More rarely, but it does happen, is that the thing is just wonky itself.

Thanks, Yanti.  I'm leaning toward your theory of my lead arm is pressing down, although really anything you mentioned is possible!  I'm a swimming disaster, form-wise, I think.  Hoping some day that improves.

Would above water or under water video be better, if I were able to get it?  I could probably ask someone to record me after the regular workout is over, but it won't be until after next week.

2013-11-06 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hi Manatees!!!

Kate - that lemur costume is absolutely amazing, and the little one wearing it is completely adorable.  So happy to hear that your parents are doing well! 

Jo - Holy cow, woman... 4 hours of surgery on your arm?  No wonder it's all kinds of multi-coloured!  Heal well, though I'm glad you decided against the rugby tackle as that may have exacerbated the hurtiness.   

Mel - absolutely NO idea about swimming, but I'm sure the fish of the group will give you some good advice.  

Janyne... did I read that you're going to start marathon training?  Which one are you planning on?  

Yantilicious - any word from the docs about your noggin yet?  

As for me... I went to the P!NK concert last night and I have an even bigger girl-crush on her than ever before!  Holy FACHING FACH is that woman amazing! 

I didn't even care that I was super tired for JTTD this morning.   

2013-11-06 10:17 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Thanks, Yanti.  I'm leaning toward your theory of my lead arm is pressing down, although really anything you mentioned is possible!  I'm a swimming disaster, form-wise, I think.  Hoping some day that improves.

Would above water or under water video be better, if I were able to get it?  I could probably ask someone to record me after the regular workout is over, but it won't be until after next week.

Under water way better. Both is best. From each side, plus swimming toward the camera. If you can only get above water, then from each side, swimming toward camera (as close to water level as possible) and one as directly above as possible (if possible).

Anything is better than nothing.

2013-11-06 10:56 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Weight loss plan update: aaahhhh, can't believe I'm about to admit this because it isn't 100% 'me' or in line with my personal beliefs on weight loss, but is rather reflective of my frustration about my weight.

Last night I met with my friend and I will begin my weight loss program on Sunday, starting with a detox week (not mandatory, but it will help jump-start things) which should be interesting.  After that, eating is more 'normal', with logging food/exercise/sleep, etc. online for my friend/coach to see as an essential part of the program which will provide the accountability I need.  I signed on for a 12 week program, so we'll see how it goes.  What helped convince me to do the detox portion is that my friend/coach did it.  I have more credence in her for actually doing the program, ya know?  Part of the fee includes a 'detox kit' which "Contains (1) TLS® CORE, (1) Isotonix® Multivitamin without Iron (30 servings), (1) NutriClean® 7-Day Cleansing System and (1) Isotonix OPC-3® (30 servings)".  This is the part that is slightly out of line of my personal feelings about weight loss, the use of supplements even though they are all natural.  I tend to view such supplements as 'snake oil'.

Major downside of 'detox week': no strenuous physical activity, which means a week of no workouts, I guess.

Nothing natural about anything that comes with any kind of synthesis or processing--all natural would be grazing on wild blueberries and such ...

But I digress. I actually don't frown--quite the opposite--on using supplements, lab-born meal replacements, or severe calorie restriction (for limited periods of time). Whatever works. "Jump-starting" can be very encouraging.

And just because I'm kind of (actually, totally) an ahole when it comes to details, there's nothing cleansing or detoxifying about it ... other than having functioning liver and kidneys (and to some extent the large intestine), there's no way to get harmful stuff or amounts out of your system (okay, well, activated charcoal and naloxone. But again, I digress). Not sweat, nothing you can consume or not consume (other than not consuming harmful stuff!) ...

And now I'm gonna REALLY digress ... people in the U.S. (and to some extent Canada ... this is much less of a problem in Western Europe and Australia where these things are much more regulated) using supplements to treat or as adjunct treatment for ailments should do so under the care of a medical professional and be VERY picky about brands. The supplement industry in the U.S. is WILDLY unregulated/unenforced, to the extent that a shocking proportion of the preparations don't contain ANY of the claimed ingredient, far less of the claimed ingredient, and/or have additional possibly harmful stuff.

2013-11-06 11:01 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hi Manatees!!!

Kate - that lemur costume is absolutely amazing, and the little one wearing it is completely adorable.  So happy to hear that your parents are doing well! 

Jo - Holy cow, woman... 4 hours of surgery on your arm?  No wonder it's all kinds of multi-coloured!  Heal well, though I'm glad you decided against the rugby tackle as that may have exacerbated the hurtiness.   

Mel - absolutely NO idea about swimming, but I'm sure the fish of the group will give you some good advice.  

Janyne... did I read that you're going to start marathon training?  Which one are you planning on?  

As for me... I went to the P!NK concert last night and I have an even bigger girl-crush on her than ever before!  Holy FACHING FACH is that woman amazing! 

P!NK, very highly regarded by fellow musicians who are technically adept (i.e., familiar with composition, notation, usually write their own music, etc.) ... absolutely amazing. All that and so much guts and passion in live performance.

Faching fachmie indeed ... meant to write about docs. All wanted to see how another month of IM-level training sat with me, and much easier to get MRI in Jakarta and I'll be going back next week (in Bali now).

Talked it over with my sis today and she's OK with it if the docs are. She and Kingsley are the gatekeepers. They have a FAR more vested interest in keeping me alive than I myself do.

Edited by TriAya 2013-11-06 11:04 AM

2013-11-06 11:06 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Great great stuff from the Manatees. Really want to reply to EVERYBODY! Been overwhelmed overworked just over over the last few days (no major stuff just forkin' busy, no training even!) really gotta go to sleep now.

Love you all, love being a part of your lives (and your families'!), so excited about what everybody's got going on.

2013-11-06 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Weight loss plan update: aaahhhh, can't believe I'm about to admit this because it isn't 100% 'me' or in line with my personal beliefs on weight loss, but is rather reflective of my frustration about my weight.

Last night I met with my friend and I will begin my weight loss program on Sunday, starting with a detox week (not mandatory, but it will help jump-start things) which should be interesting.  After that, eating is more 'normal', with logging food/exercise/sleep, etc. online for my friend/coach to see as an essential part of the program which will provide the accountability I need.  I signed on for a 12 week program, so we'll see how it goes.  What helped convince me to do the detox portion is that my friend/coach did it.  I have more credence in her for actually doing the program, ya know?  Part of the fee includes a 'detox kit' which "Contains (1) TLS® CORE, (1) Isotonix® Multivitamin without Iron (30 servings), (1) NutriClean® 7-Day Cleansing System and (1) Isotonix OPC-3® (30 servings)".  This is the part that is slightly out of line of my personal feelings about weight loss, the use of supplements even though they are all natural.  I tend to view such supplements as 'snake oil'.

Major downside of 'detox week': no strenuous physical activity, which means a week of no workouts, I guess.

Nothing natural about anything that comes with any kind of synthesis or processing--all natural would be grazing on wild blueberries and such ...

But I digress. I actually don't frown--quite the opposite--on using supplements, lab-born meal replacements, or severe calorie restriction (for limited periods of time). Whatever works. "Jump-starting" can be very encouraging.

And just because I'm kind of (actually, totally) an ahole when it comes to details, there's nothing cleansing or detoxifying about it ... other than having functioning liver and kidneys (and to some extent the large intestine), there's no way to get harmful stuff or amounts out of your system (okay, well, activated charcoal and naloxone. But again, I digress). Not sweat, nothing you can consume or not consume (other than not consuming harmful stuff!) ...

And now I'm gonna REALLY digress ... people in the U.S. (and to some extent Canada ... this is much less of a problem in Western Europe and Australia where these things are much more regulated) using supplements to treat or as adjunct treatment for ailments should do so under the care of a medical professional and be VERY picky about brands. The supplement industry in the U.S. is WILDLY unregulated/unenforced, to the extent that a shocking proportion of the preparations don't contain ANY of the claimed ingredient, far less of the claimed ingredient, and/or have additional possibly harmful stuff.

I completely agree with this post.
2013-11-06 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Trying to be a good Kate to go out for my run....yet finding SO MANY reasons to not do so....This is what I mean; lots of motivation, but even more "I should do this stuff" --though really, I don't need to. My brain needs to be sat down and given a talking to!!!

2013-11-06 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Sweet baby boy.

2013-11-06 11:11 AM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by KansasMom

Sweet baby boy.

Oh dear, he is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013-11-06 11:16 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by rrrunner

Sweet baby boy.

So precious!!  I <3 babies & toddlers…..then they really aren't much fun until they are about 20.

2013-11-06 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hi Manatees!!!

P!NK, very highly regarded by fellow musicians who are technically adept (i.e., familiar with composition, notation, usually write their own music, etc.) ... absolutely amazing. All that and so much guts and passion in live performance.

Faching fachmie indeed ... meant to write about docs. All wanted to see how another month of IM-level training sat with me, and much easier to get MRI in Jakarta and I'll be going back next week (in Bali now).

Talked it over with my sis today and she's OK with it if the docs are. She and Kingsley are the gatekeepers. They have a FAR more vested interest in keeping me alive than I myself do.

I'm glad you've got a couple of gate keepers that are keeping you in check, and even happier that it sounds like the docs are pretty optimistic if they're okay with you doing another month of training!  

Just so you know, I think we'd all rather have you alive as well.  

2013-11-06 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Sweet baby boy.

2013-11-06 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Sweet baby boy.

What a beautiful baby!
2013-11-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

Sweet baby boy.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

2013-11-06 11:58 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Sweet baby boy.

Oh....BABY!!! He's adorable.  I'm super jealous of newborn snuggles.  I miss having a tiny one.

2013-11-06 12:34 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master

Morning Manatees! 

Quick kitty update before I go for my run...

JASON FOUND HIM!!! He's been a few feet away for 10 days. Guess he didn't want to go far, but our dogs were too frisky for him to come to back door (he loves them inside but he becomes a toy for them in the yard) Was staying under our mower and in the empty backyard next to us. Crazy!  Everyone is thrilled...not least of all Peppurr.

2013-11-06 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Morning Manatees! 

JASON FOUND HIM!!! He's been a few feet away for 10 days. Guess he didn't want to go far, but our dogs were too frisky for him to come to back door (he loves them inside but he becomes a toy for them in the yard) Was staying under our mower and in the empty backyard next to us. Crazy!  Everyone is thrilled...not least of all Peppurr.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we first moved to NM one of our cats snuck out with all of the moving goings-on. She was gone for several days and we tried signs and the animal shelter. A few days later DS2 came home from school and was standing in the driveway talking to DS1 and she walked right up to him, looking pretty dirty. Turned out she'd been living in the garage of the neighbor across the street and his kids were feeding her. I guess having her favorite person home was motivation to come back though.

Edited by rrrunner 2013-11-06 12:41 PM
2013-11-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Morning Manatees! 

YAYYYYYY!!!!   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.