BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-14 9:10 AM
in reply to: Triathlynne

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by Triathlynne

Hey good morning all.  I managed to squeeze in the door at the last minute and I'm so glad I did.   I haven't joined a mentor group in quite some time and I figured with all the changes I'm doing 2014 would be a good time to re join on. So glad I found THIS particular one!  So a little about me:

NAME: Lynne. I know...boring but that's it. Sorry.
STORY: I'm originally from Scotland, born and bred there. Moved to Seattle area permanently in 1998. Husband is American (It's his fault).  I was a swimmer growing up, not competitively, just more enjoyment/fitness.   I could swim all day long. Kinda sporty in school, field hockey, track and field, that sort of thing...again I suck at being competitive so I did it for the fun of it.  Didn't really get into triathlons until 2006/2007 when I did my first one (danskin, sprint). AS soon as I got home however I signed up for SEVEN more. Eek.   Best summer ever however.  After that I found I was getting bored and skint, so I decided to try other things. I did open water swim races, rode my bike from Seattle to Portland, half marathons, 5Ks etc etc.  I even did a rough open water swim in La Jolla, CA. My first ocean swim..feck!  I haven't done a triathlon in TWO years though but that's going to change. Awwwwwwwwwww yeah.
FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 16 years to Ron. I have 2 doggies, lab mix called Rudy and a puggle called Otto. I also have a lovebird named Pinky that can talk in a Scottish accent.
CURRENT TRAINING:Just getting back into the swing of things. I've gained a lot of weight in the last year 45lbs+  ARRRRGHH!!!!!!!!!  So just trying to drop the weight by staying active.  Recently joined crossfit (HAVE NO GONE YET HOWEVER!
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:  Signed up for a 12K and a 15K, March 2nd and April 13th
2013 RACES/EVENTS: N/A
BODY COMPOSITION:  Soft n squishy.

Welcome Lynne! 

I guess that we can let you in even though we already have someone from Seattle with a pug ;-)

Oh, and around here it's not fech, it's fachmie!

2014-01-14 9:12 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by marcag My biggest accomplishment of 2014 : Last week did an FTP test. Best 20' ...but that's not it. Last week I swam my fastest ever 3k workout....but that's not it. Yesterday, ran the fastest I have in 2months, as I deal with an achilles injury....but that's not it I got on the scale this morning and for the first time in 8 weeks, the number went DOWN !!! Yes, down !!!! A whopping 2lbs....woooohooooo. The hardest part of triathlon (IMO)

Congrats on your weightloss! That's very exciting
2014-01-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jmkizer

Hey good morning all.  I managed to squeeze in the door at the last minute and I'm so glad I did.   I haven't joined a mentor group in quite some time and I figured with all the changes I'm doing 2014 would be a good time to re join on. So glad I found THIS particular one!  So a little about me:

STORY: I'm originally from Scotland, born and bred there. Moved to Seattle area permanently in 1998. Husband is American (It's his fault).  I was a swimmer growing up, not competitively, just more enjoyment/fitness.   I could swim all day long. Kinda sporty in school, field hockey, track and field, that sort of thing...again I suck at being competitive so I did it for the fun of it.  Didn't really get into triathlons until 2006/2007 when I did my first one (danskin, sprint). AS soon as I got home however I signed up for SEVEN more. Eek.   Best summer ever however.  After that I found I was getting bored and skint, so I decided to try other things. I did open water swim races, rode my bike from Seattle to Portland, half marathons, 5Ks etc etc.  I even did a rough open water swim in La Jolla, CA. My first ocean swim..feck!  I haven't done a triathlon in TWO years though but that's going to change. Awwwwwwwwwww yeah.
FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 16 years to Ron. I have 2 doggies, lab mix called Rudy and a puggle called Otto. I also have a lovebird named Pinky that can talk in a Scottish accent.
CURRENT TRAINING:Just getting back into the swing of things. I've gained a lot of weight in the last year 45lbs+  ARRRRGHH!!!!!!!!!  So just trying to drop the weight by staying active.  Recently joined crossfit (HAVE NO GONE YET HOWEVER!
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:  Signed up for a 12K and a 15K, March 2nd and April 13th

Welcome Lynne! 

I guess that we can let you in even though we already have someone from Seattle with a pug ;-)

With her broad Scots brogue, that IS how she pronounces fachmie

2014-01-14 10:14 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag My biggest accomplishment of 2014 : Last week did an FTP test. Best 20' ...but that's not it. Last week I swam my fastest ever 3k workout....but that's not it. Yesterday, ran the fastest I have in 2months, as I deal with an achilles injury....but that's not it I got on the scale this morning and for the first time in 8 weeks, the number went DOWN !!! Yes, down !!!! A whopping 2lbs....woooohooooo. The hardest part of triathlon (IMO)

EXCELLENT!!!   Congrats, and keep up the good work!  Lotsa good things going on in your 2014!

2014-01-14 10:16 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Welcome Lynne! 

Yay!!!! A brogue in the group!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome Lynne! Our where-in-the-world Manatee map is sure changing! Of course, Yanti's "pin" moves daily

OK, time to vent...

Multiple things at play here. 1) My work partner and I are moving. It's only across the building but it's still far enough we have to pack, deal with construction, deal with computer geeks, deal with contractors, etc. 2) I'm still trying to keep my training level and add some strength training based on our conversation last week.

So... I missed my morning drainer session yesterday because I had to be at the office at odarkthirty for contractors. I figured I'd try to get it done when I got home but by the time I got home I needed to start dinner. So I was mildly frustrated at having missed my training ride. So I make dinner and DS1 won't even try it. It was salmon hash. DH and I really liked it. I thought DS2 would too. He picked at it! I try to really limit red meat and add seafood to our diet for his skinny little arse and he barely touches it! So... my frustration... Trying to work a 50-hour a week job, and get in my training + strength, AND have dinner on at a decent time, and trying to plan/cook meals that are healthy! If I give DH the recipe/ingredients he will make dinner, but I didn't want to ask him to make the salmon. I told him this morning I'd like to just give each of the boys $20 and make them plan/shop for/prepare a dinner each week but no telling what we''d end up eating!

I know, everyone deals with the same time use issues. I need to just deal with it. The other option is giving up swim or bike but I'm not ready to concede that...yet.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

2014-01-14 10:17 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN

Originally posted by ponderingfox

My roommate and I went around and looked at road bikes for him tonight.  He has an older toad bike, and is feeling it's about time to upgrade.  We hit up three different local stores.  I dunno about you, but I enjoy the process of bike shopping, even if it's not for me.  I'm also looking forward to the someone to ride with me on long rides when the weather gets nicer.

Bike shopping and helping to spend someone else's money IS fun!  Plus it's very cool you will have a riding partner come warmer weather.

2014-01-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Salty I thought you'd appreciate this...

www.skirtsports.com/261

2014-01-14 10:19 AM
in reply to: Triathlynne

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Lynne!!  Welcome, and I love your doggies and the name Otto is just too cute.

2014-01-14 10:26 AM
in reply to: awalden22

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by awalden22
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by awalden22 Welcome to Ernesto! Monica - sweet bike! Love the colors Happy Monday to everyone. I am feeling a little down today. As some of you know I have been trying my hand at working towards a NSNG diet and I have been doing very well for the past 2 weeks. I lost a few pounds right at the start which I am assuming was water weight and then I kind of got stuck in a rut where I wasn't losing or gaining anything. Now I am just slowly gaining. Does anyone have any advice on what I could be doing differently? I am thinking maybe I need to cut back on the dairy and focus mainly on fruits, veggies, and lean meats. Thoughts? Or am I just over thinking it since I am only 2 weeks in?

Ashley, how are the calories from previous to current? Some other things may have a bit of influence too, but calories in vs calories out (what you burn off) is the biggest. Just eating "healthier" doesn't quite do it if that is not also adjusted. What healthy does give you is far better building material for your body to work with. Much more for it to use per calorie taken in, so it's not necessary to eat as much. Do you know how yours looks and are you SURE? Have to check as until any of actually really look at something we really don't keep track as well as we think. 

Ben - I thought about this. Maybe I am eating more calories than I think. So I guess the thing to do would be to track this week as if it were a typical week and see what I come up with. Ashley

There are some good free apps that are good for calorie counting.  I really like LoseIt but I know others like myFitnessPal.  I've noticed I do much better with my eating choices and calories when I track what I eat and drink.

2014-01-14 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Welcome Lynne! 

Yay!!!! A brogue in the group!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome Lynne! Our where-in-the-world Manatee map is sure changing! Of course, Yanti's "pin" moves daily

OK, time to vent...

Multiple things at play here. 1) My work partner and I are moving. It's only across the building but it's still far enough we have to pack, deal with construction, deal with computer geeks, deal with contractors, etc. 2) I'm still trying to keep my training level and add some strength training based on our conversation last week.

So... I missed my morning drainer session yesterday because I had to be at the office at odarkthirty for contractors. I figured I'd try to get it done when I got home but by the time I got home I needed to start dinner. So I was mildly frustrated at having missed my training ride. So I make dinner and DS1 won't even try it. It was salmon hash. DH and I really liked it. I thought DS2 would too. He picked at it! I try to really limit red meat and add seafood to our diet for his skinny little arse and he barely touches it! So... my frustration... Trying to work a 50-hour a week job, and get in my training + strength, AND have dinner on at a decent time, and trying to plan/cook meals that are healthy! If I give DH the recipe/ingredients he will make dinner, but I didn't want to ask him to make the salmon. I told him this morning I'd like to just give each of the boys $20 and make them plan/shop for/prepare a dinner each week but no telling what we''d end up eating!

I know, everyone deals with the same time use issues. I need to just deal with it. The other option is giving up swim or bike but I'm not ready to concede that...yet.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

You should have sent them to bed without any dinner I would have been really frustrated with the lack of appreciation for my efforts too and they may have ended up wearing the salmon! Or maybe not, but I feel your frustration.
2014-01-14 10:52 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Helllooooooooooooooooooo Manatees!!  Gah, I go home after work and don't check in until this morning and there's 3 pages that I've missed!  

Thanks everyone for the comments on my new cruiser

Stacey - I LOVE the idea of doing a sprint (or maybe a super sprint would be better) on her... maybe with my aero helmet??      Also, I'm IN for the JOGO challenge! 

Erin - KITTY!!  What a cutie... J will come around, I'm sure....  Right?  

Lynne - Welcome!!  

Chris - we don't have a garage so we may have to come up with some creative bike storage, especially since we've already got a Cannondale road frame on the wall as art...  

Mark - of COURSE the bike is going to have a bell!!  I plan on using it too!

Janyne - that's one of the reasons why I got a cruiser... it's going to be really nice having a fun bike to ride around on, one that I don't feel like I have to be doing a training session while on the bike.  I'm not sure what the heck to do about the enabler though...   

TJ - I wish I had a solution for you.  My mom used to do that very thing with my brother and I where we had one night that we were responsible for the cooking, but that ended quite quickly after some of the concoctions we were able to come up with.  

2014-01-14 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

TJ, I had a big long response written, and I was only halfway done. So, I'll simply say, I feel your pain and hope that things improve. Moving sucks. Sometimes, so does family. 

BTW, not all computer folks are geeks 

2014-01-14 10:58 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I knew there was no garage possible for you. I say go to the ceiling in the living room. A half dozen hooks up there, hang the bikes, and one of you will be busting your head on them in no time 

2014-01-14 11:01 AM

Master
Northern IL

My roommate and I went around and looked at road bikes for him tonight.  He has an older toad bike, and is feeling it's about time to upgrade.  We hit up three different local stores.  I dunno about you, but I enjoy the process of bike shopping, even if it's not for me.  I'm also looking forward to the someone to ride with me on long rides when the weather gets nicer.

Outside of this group I would know the answer, but in here ... well ... have to check.

2014-01-14 11:03 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

TJ, I had a big long response written, and I was only halfway done. So, I'll simply say, I feel your pain and hope that things improve. Moving sucks. Sometimes, so does family. 

BTW, not all computer folks are geeks 

If it were you doing the work I'm sure I would be much less stressed about the computer aspect of the move...

2014-01-14 11:13 AM

User image

Master

WElcome Lynne!  Your puggle is cute!

TJ--I don't have kids, but I do do most of the cooking at our house.  Since I am starting to do 2 workouts a day, I am really trying to have a plan for dinners for the week, and do whatever prep I can on the weekend.  I also try to use my slow cooker a lot!  I have not help on the lack of gratitude

Got up early enough to get my run in before work this morning, just a short one, mind you.  Off to a massage later this morning!

2014-01-14 11:15 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

I knew there was no garage possible for you. I say go to the ceiling in the living room. A half dozen hooks up there, hang the bikes, and one of you will be busting your head on them in no time 

Heehee... the hooks in the ceiling possibility has already been discussed.  The bikes can also be "ceiling art", right??  

Looks like Tony might be getting a new tri bike this week too, so we'll need to figure something out ASAP!  

2014-01-14 11:16 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Outside of this group I would know the answer, but in here ... well ... have to check.

HA!  I'm glad someone else caught this and was questioning it too...  

2014-01-14 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hmmmmm?

or

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-01-14 11:38 AM
2014-01-14 11:50 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Hiya, newest podmates  Scott, Tiana, Ernesto and Lynne  Have I missed anyone?

Gotta get my 5mi in, then I'll be back for more in-depth manatee reading.

2014-01-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Ha. That's just a typo. Wondered if anyone caught it, but I guess so!

2014-01-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Hmmmmm?

or

Classic.  I'm partial to the second one.  It has a little headlight and everything.

2014-01-14 12:48 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Hmmmmm?

or

Classic.  I'm partial to the second one.  It has a little headlight and everything.

no helmet though!

WELCOME LYNNE!

ok back to work. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
2014-01-14 12:58 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I <3 the frog.  He could be an avatar.

2014-01-14 1:00 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by QueenZipp

I

Speaking of frogs... Has anyone heard from Alan lately?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25841 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38403 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18415 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.