BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-30 7:16 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Lisa, that has got to be the world's cutest doggie face! Mom is a dachshund fan (we've never had a dog, but she had them when she was a kid) and we have been cooing over it for a couple of days now. Sadly not in the market for more pets at present as we may be moving. (I'm looking for jobs in Hawaii, among other places--don't get me started on how difficult it is to bring pets there. An overseas move is actually easier.)

2019-01-31 7:36 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by StaceyK

(Adam I have fixed your entries in the distance traveled challenge as you had gotten yourself a week ahead - I hope that is ok)

Thank you!
2019-01-31 7:39 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by JBacarella

"Pretend riding with my pretend friends" was coined by daughter #3, while she was emotionally abusing me. It ended up sticking. The rest of the comment was, "if you had friends, you could for real ride with your for real friends." Teen aged girls are the more viscous animal on earth.

Totally. Mine watches me like a hawk to find any little thing that can be mocked.
2019-01-31 7:46 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Lisa, that has got to be the world's cutest doggie face! Mom is a dachshund fan (we've never had a dog, but she had them when she was a kid) and we have been cooing over it for a couple of days now. Sadly not in the market for more pets at present as we may be moving. (I'm looking for jobs in Hawaii, among other places--don't get me started on how difficult it is to bring pets there. An overseas move is actually easier.)

+1 on the super cute dog. Such a sweetie Lisa!

Oooh, Hawaii. Sounds amazing (if expensive). I hope the job hunt goes well!
2019-01-31 9:40 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Pennsylvania

Funny dog story for the group.  This morning when I got up to take Coco outside, it was -2*F regular temp, not sure of the wind chill.  So naturally I wanted to keep her safe since she has very limited, sparse hair on her back (genetic condition) and there's still snow on the ground (it gets stuck in her paw pads and immobilizes her).  I put on her jacket and her 'racing flats' as we call them, little rubber doggie foot covers (glorified balloons with a little bit of traction, really, but they do the job).  I got her dressed and she started zipping around inside the house - yes, she loves her coat and racing flats! 

I put on my coat, boots, hat and gloves and turned her loose for the back yard.  She was gone in a flash.  I trotted to get out back to make sure she didn't encounter any critters but she was already out of sight.  I followed her footprints in the snow, then heard some rustling in the area of the garden, hoping it was her and not anything else like a skunk.  I jogged around the garden fence to find her.  She must've speed-pooped, then took off running for the house again before I got around the garden enclosure.  I softly yelled for her to wait but 1. she's hard of hearing and 2. it was cold and she took off toward the front of the house (and the street).  I ran after her, hoping that she went straight to the porch.  Thankfully she did!

I had to laugh at how speedy she was at doing her business - I doubt it was more than 3 minutes total we were outside!  Naturally she had to race around the house like a maniac once inside since she was amped up.  You'd never know that dog is 15 years old!  Then she was so good when I took her racing flats off.  I took the front feet off first, then she walked forward so I could do her back feet!  Oh, my heart!

2019-01-31 9:49 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Funny dog story for the group.  This morning when I got up to take Coco outside, it was -2*F regular temp, not sure of the wind chill.  So naturally I wanted to keep her safe since she has very limited, sparse hair on her back (genetic condition) and there's still snow on the ground (it gets stuck in her paw pads and immobilizes her).  I put on her jacket and her 'racing flats' as we call them, little rubber doggie foot covers (glorified balloons with a little bit of traction, really, but they do the job).  I got her dressed and she started zipping around inside the house - yes, she loves her coat and racing flats! 

I put on my coat, boots, hat and gloves and turned her loose for the back yard.  She was gone in a flash.  I trotted to get out back to make sure she didn't encounter any critters but she was already out of sight.  I followed her footprints in the snow, then heard some rustling in the area of the garden, hoping it was her and not anything else like a skunk.  I jogged around the garden fence to find her.  She must've speed-pooped, then took off running for the house again before I got around the garden enclosure.  I softly yelled for her to wait but 1. she's hard of hearing and 2. it was cold and she took off toward the front of the house (and the street).  I ran after her, hoping that she went straight to the porch.  Thankfully she did!

I had to laugh at how speedy she was at doing her business - I doubt it was more than 3 minutes total we were outside!  Naturally she had to race around the house like a maniac once inside since she was amped up.  You'd never know that dog is 15 years old!  Then she was so good when I took her racing flats off.  I took the front feet off first, then she walked forward so I could do her back feet!  Oh, my heart!

As much as Coco likes her coat, she didn't want to spend one extra minute outside, did she?

Zoe gets silly and amped up when she comes in all wet and she sees the towel. ALL OVER BODY MASSAGE!!!

2019-01-31 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Funny!

Aspen, my black lab/GSH running buddy, hates any clothing. Coats, backpacks, shoes, anything... We've tried leaving them on her hoping she would get used to them. Nope, she hates clothes.

2019-01-31 9:50 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Funny!

Aspen, my black lab/GSH running buddy, hates any clothing. Coats, backpacks, shoes, anything... We've tried leaving them on her hoping she would get used to them. Nope, she hates clothes.

Aspen says Run Naked!

2019-01-31 9:53 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

As much as Coco likes her coat, she didn't want to spend one extra minute outside, did she?

Zoe gets silly and amped up when she comes in all wet and she sees the towel. ALL OVER BODY MASSAGE!!!

We got a new foster puppy on Monday. He stood nicely for his bath and LOVED getting dried off. He enjoyed it so much that he decided the towel in the laundry basket was his new bed! He's a cutie! Odd shaped little man. He reminds me of a tiny bull. stocky front, smaller back end, stubby tail.

(cowboy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cowboy.jpg (33KB - 3 downloads)
2019-01-31 2:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

We got a new foster puppy on Monday. He stood nicely for his bath and LOVED getting dried off. He enjoyed it so much that he decided the towel in the laundry basket was his new bed! He's a cutie! Odd shaped little man. He reminds me of a tiny bull. stocky front, smaller back end, stubby tail.

Awwwwww!!  So cute!

Coco loves clothes (thankfully because she has to wear an SPF protective shirt if she's going to be outside in the sun for any length of time because of her skin condition) but Dobie is NOT a fan.  Put a jacket on her = instant dog statue! 

2019-01-31 4:02 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Lisa, that has got to be the world's cutest doggie face! Mom is a dachshund fan (we've never had a dog, but she had them when she was a kid) and we have been cooing over it for a couple of days now. Sadly not in the market for more pets at present as we may be moving. (I'm looking for jobs in Hawaii, among other places--don't get me started on how difficult it is to bring pets there. An overseas move is actually easier.)

Awwww thanks - yes she is SO stinking cute! She's such a happy girl and it literally took only hours for her to adjust to my home and to me as her new mom. AND she will wear clothes (my previous dachshund absolutely would not)!

Yeah I can't imagine moving a pet overseas or to Hawaii! But Hawaii sounds pretty sweet 

2019-01-31 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Unless you are trying to bring animals (or their semen) to Australia. Its one of the joys of living on a relatively disease free island quarantine protects that disease free status at all costs.
Just ask Johnny Depp and his ex-wife what trouble you end up in when you bring your dogs into the country on your private jet without declaring them. He ended up in court here over it a couple of years ago - of course because of who he is he got away with a hand tap and a don't do it again.
2019-01-31 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

ours love that too and they barge each other out of the way to make it their turn so we end up with half a dozen half dry dogs.
2019-01-31 7:47 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hawaii essentially does the same thing as it is a rabies-free zone (unlike the mainland US) as well as islands with a lot of endangered species.They quarantine for 4 months (about $2000/animal) if you do not follow an elaborate pre-clearance procedure that involves documenting vaccinations, a rabies blood test, parasite treatments, and physical exams on a very specific timetable before departure. Basically we have to do this even though I'd guess there is less than a 50% chance of our actually moving there, because if I waited until I knew we needed to move, there would be no time to clear the cats. There have been A LOT of vet visits and medically unnecessary vaccines thanks to Hawaii's rules. I understand why, but it's been very hard on the cats and expensive for the people. Still better, and cheaper, than quarantine though.

From Vietnam, it actually wasn't too difficult. For the mainland US, they just need to have a documented rabies shot and veterinary health certificate; Vietnam's entry and exit requirements are similar with the addition of some parasite treatments. It was just hard finding a reliable vet there to work with who knew export procedures and could help us out with paperwork. Our original vet was having some mental, or maybe personal, problems and had become very unreliable with following up on tests and communication, so we could no longer trust him to handle the export process. Fortunately in April we found another vet who had just established a practice in my neighborhood, that did a great job. All told, it cost about $150/cat, not counting the airline fee, which was somewhat more (around $650/cat).
2019-02-01 4:39 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

OMG she sounds so cute!!! Speed pooping!!!
2019-02-01 8:29 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Hot Runner Lisa, that has got to be the world's cutest doggie face! Mom is a dachshund fan (we've never had a dog, but she had them when she was a kid) and we have been cooing over it for a couple of days now. Sadly not in the market for more pets at present as we may be moving. (I'm looking for jobs in Hawaii, among other places--don't get me started on how difficult it is to bring pets there. An overseas move is actually easier.)

Awwww thanks - yes she is SO stinking cute! She's such a happy girl and it literally took only hours for her to adjust to my home and to me as her new mom. AND she will wear clothes (my previous dachshund absolutely would not)!

Yeah I can't imagine moving a pet overseas or to Hawaii! But Hawaii sounds pretty sweet 

So awesome. I am so happy it's working out well and i love seeing the photos. She does have such a sweet face! Must be nice to come home to her! 

2019-02-01 11:50 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3
Ann-Marie - Tour de Sufferlandia (Feb 2-10)
Jim - Tour de Sufferlandia (Feb 2-10)

Is anyone else racing?

2019-02-01 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Go JIM and HANDS!!! May your suffering be great and your knighthood be forthcoming

2019-02-01 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Go JIM and HANDS!!! May your suffering be great and your knighthood be forthcoming

of course I have swollen tonsils now , so we’ll see!

2019-02-01 3:40 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, gang!

2019-02-01 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, gang!

I have strep throat, so don’t know that the tour will happen for me. But I’m sure Jim will crush it!!

2019-02-01 4:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, gang!

I have strep throat, so don’t know that the tour will happen for me. But I’m sure Jim will crush it!!
Bummer! Hope you'll be better soon!
Go get 'em, Jim!
2019-02-01 5:38 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, gang!

awww sorry. That sucks.
2019-02-01 5:38 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, gang!

give em hell, Jim
2019-02-01 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 2-3

Is anyone else racing?

of course I have swollen tonsils now , so we’ll see!

I am sorry to hear that you are under the weather! Don't make us have to bring back the DL!

P.S. When I saw the notification email I read toenails. Not sure how ones toenails get swollen.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107