BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-08 6:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Did finally figure that out-couldn't get the race site to load for ages. Then I kept thinking, there's some computer mistake, maybe I had a penalty I didn't serve, etc. etc. Finally feel better--I have the AG trophy and the World's spot and only a few jellyfish scars and some pretty tired legs to show for it. Thanks to all who might have been tracking or supporting me, and for everyone's support over the years.....I train in pretty major isolation in Vietnam (though triathlon has gotten more popular in recent years--just met a young woman from my neighborhood who just missed the podium in 25-29 and beat me by 8 minutes--she trains in the evening so we've never met!) and the support I get online has really been a godsend.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-05-08 6:04 AM

2016-05-08 6:30 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Did finally figure that out-couldn't get the race site to load for ages. Then I kept thinking, there's some computer mistake, maybe I had a penalty I didn't serve, etc. etc. Finally feel better--I have the AG trophy and the World's spot and only a few jellyfish scars and some pretty tired legs to show for it. Thanks to all who might have been tracking or supporting me, and for everyone's support over the years.....I train in pretty major isolation in Vietnam (though triathlon has gotten more popular in recent years--just met a young woman from my neighborhood who just missed the podium in 25-29 and beat me by 8 minutes--she trains in the evening so we've never met!) and the support I get online has really been a godsend.
Well done Karen you legend!
2016-05-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Can any of you Ausssies explain where the h... is Mooloolooba?!
2016-05-08 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Happy Mother's Day to all of the Moms in the pod.
2016-05-08 8:10 AM

User image

Expert

Well Done.
2016-05-08 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Can any of you Ausssies explain where the h... is Mooloolooba?!
It's Mooloolaba and it is on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, North of Brisbane.

2016-05-08 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Happy mothers day to all our manatee moms!
2016-05-08 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Did finally figure that out-couldn't get the race site to load for ages. Then I kept thinking, there's some computer mistake, maybe I had a penalty I didn't serve, etc. etc. Finally feel better--I have the AG trophy and the World's spot and only a few jellyfish scars and some pretty tired legs to show for it. Thanks to all who might have been tracking or supporting me, and for everyone's support over the years.....I train in pretty major isolation in Vietnam (though triathlon has gotten more popular in recent years--just met a young woman from my neighborhood who just missed the podium in 25-29 and beat me by 8 minutes--she trains in the evening so we've never met!) and the support I get online has really been a godsend.

congratulations, that's fantastic!!

2016-05-08 10:20 AM
in reply to: #5176537

User image

Master
Wow Karen, that is awesome, congratulations!

Happy birthday, Judi!
2016-05-08 7:44 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
After a 1 week hiatus I am back. The kayak trip certainly had some challenges including long portages through snow due to trees across the river, some long slogs across windy lakes, freezing temperatures at night and also some really magnificent rapids that made it all worth while. I havent been on my bike in a week and am now 6 behind on my "ride 366" plan but am confidant I can make that up over the next few weeks. I did add some pictures and video to my logs if anyone is interested. Please let me know if the videos dont work as I had linked them to my facebook page and am not sure how well that works.

I will have to catch up on everyones posts but trust everyone is doing well. GO Manatees!
2016-05-09 12:24 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi Manatees I need some help with some information about running lights.

What do you use, how many lumins are they and what is good and bad about them?

Its gotten to the point already that it is too dark to run without light in the morning now (no street lights where I live).

2016-05-09 2:21 AM

User image

Fantastic results and well done!
2016-05-09 4:41 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

I am getting excited now for Sunday as just had my start time through on email, all very real now!!
2016-05-09 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Did finally figure that out-couldn't get the race site to load for ages. Then I kept thinking, there's some computer mistake, maybe I had a penalty I didn't serve, etc. etc. Finally feel better--I have the AG trophy and the World's spot and only a few jellyfish scars and some pretty tired legs to show for it. Thanks to all who might have been tracking or supporting me, and for everyone's support over the years.....I train in pretty major isolation in Vietnam (though triathlon has gotten more popular in recent years--just met a young woman from my neighborhood who just missed the podium in 25-29 and beat me by 8 minutes--she trains in the evening so we've never met!) and the support I get online has really been a godsend.

Great job Karen!!! Congratulations on having a trophy in hand and a spot at Worlds! I am really impressed with how your training and hard work came together to get you there. I know you have struggled at times with illness and such leading into races, so it was really cool to see you get to the start line all ready to rock. Congrats again.

2016-05-09 7:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Manatees I need some help with some information about running lights. What do you use, how many lumins are they and what is good and bad about them? Its gotten to the point already that it is too dark to run without light in the morning now (no street lights where I live).

Stacey, I use a Princeton Tec Byte. 70 lumens in a pretty small, lightweight package. It runs on 2 AAA batteries. I am happy with it, but most of my predawn runs are assisted with street lights.  Battery life is not bad, but not great. I may do an overnight trail race in November, and if so, I will be buying something stronger and rechargeable. I will probably stick to Princeton Tec, as their customer service has been stellar. I'm not sure what they have in rechargables, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

ETA:  Another consideration is a rear facing red light of some nature, if you are running on the road in the dark. I have an old set of Schwinn Snake Lights that I have taken the rear one and looped it onto my headband. There are headlight options out there like the Black Diamond Sprinter that are all inclusive. It all depends on your visibility needs.

Edited by cdban66 2016-05-09 7:51 AM
2016-05-09 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Manatees I need some help with some information about running lights. What do you use, how many lumins are they and what is good and bad about them? Its gotten to the point already that it is too dark to run without light in the morning now (no street lights where I live).

I have the black diamond sprinter headlamp.  It has 130 lumens which is more than bright enough for running where there are no street lights.  It also has the back red light that you can have flashing, steady or off.  The front light is also able to be dimmed for those times when you don't need the full power.  That saves the battery a bit.  The batteries are the rechargeable kind, so if you were planning to use it on a multi-day trip where you had no access to a charger, that would be a problem.  Other than that, this is a really nice, light and comfortable lamp.  It can be a bit pricier than some of the others, so I waited for a sale  

2016-05-09 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK
Well done Karen you legend!

x2 Way to go!!!! YAY! 

2016-05-09 9:02 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by tomsimper I am getting excited now for Sunday as just had my start time through on email, all very real now!!

So exciting!!!! Can't wait to hear about it.

2016-05-09 9:05 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Good luck racers. Karen, what's your race number?Happy birthday for tomorrow Judi.As some people that follow me on Instagram are aware, I'm nearing the end of my bike build, still a few things to tweak, but getting there. I had a delivery this morning that I've been waiting for weeks for. It's only a stem bolt/cap, but I think it'll add immeasurable value to the bike. What do you think? :D

Lovely manatee there!

2016-05-09 9:07 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Katy, Texas
Hope all the moms had a great day yesterday!

Karen - WOW!!! HUGE CONGRATS AND WELL DESERVED!!!!!!!

Darren - That. Is. AWESOME!

2016-05-09 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner DONE!!!! Just wanted to let everyone know I survived the race. 5:31:52 on my watch. No idea how I placed. We were racked by age group in transition and there were't any bikes near me when I got back, but didn't really count to see if anyone was back yet out of the 14. One woman who might have been in my AG passed me on the run--not sure as numbers were a bit mixed up. She was running really fast and it was early on--seemed too suicidal. I don't know if I passed her back or not later. I beat one of the "All World Athletes that I know by 25+ minutes, no idea about the others. Awards in a few hours so will see. My AG was very stacked this year so not sure what my chances for podium are--probably zilch. I think I paced really well and pretty much emptied the tank. The swim was really challenging--very high waves and hard to see where I was going, just kind of followed people. I could not see the first buoy until about 10 feet away. Drafted someone who had an "All World Athlete" cap as I figure maybe they knew what they were doing. Reminded me of swimming off the North Shore in Hawaii when I was in grad school. After a while, it was so ridiculously rolling it was kind of fun. There were also issues with jellyfish--got stung several times just warming up. The officials had said they were baby jellies but somehow in less than five minutes of warmup I managed to encounter the mother (father?) who stung me all over the face, arms, and legs with tentacles. First race I have ended up in the med tent BEFORE the start. (Deactivation with vinegar spray.) I ended up walking out through about the first minute and a half of the shallow part as I was afraid of getting stung in the mouth--the jellies were concentrated near shore. (Yes, that horrid. Got stung again on the way in and exited the water with stings all over my face!) Apparently the ones that stung me on the swim were baby jellies so not too painful after about 20 minutes. More later!

Great race.  So sorry to hear about the jellyfish :-/.

2016-05-09 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo! CONGRATULATIONS!

2016-05-09 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I have a Princeton Tec Remix headlamp and I wear a Nathan Lightspur on my shoe.

2016-05-09 9:57 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Good luck racers. Karen, what's your race number?Happy birthday for tomorrow Judi.As some people that follow me on Instagram are aware, I'm nearing the end of my bike build, still a few things to tweak, but getting there. I had a delivery this morning that I've been waiting for weeks for. It's only a stem bolt/cap, but I think it'll add immeasurable value to the bike. What do you think? :D

This. Is. Awesome!

2016-05-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by DaveL After a 1 week hiatus I am back. The kayak trip certainly had some challenges including long portages through snow due to trees across the river, some long slogs across windy lakes, freezing temperatures at night and also some really magnificent rapids that made it all worth while. I havent been on my bike in a week and am now 6 behind on my "ride 366" plan but am confidant I can make that up over the next few weeks. I did add some pictures and video to my logs if anyone is interested. Please let me know if the videos dont work as I had linked them to my facebook page and am not sure how well that works. I will have to catch up on everyones posts but trust everyone is doing well. GO Manatees!

Love the pics and videos. Nice stuff!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.