BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-31 6:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

OK, I have a dumb question for my gravel friends.  Dumb because I'm pretty sure the answer is in the "it depends" category.

If you are trying to estimate how long it will take you to complete a gravel event, how do you go about that.  For example. Loudoun 1725 ha s a 40 mile option with 2100 feet of climbing and a 60 mile option with 3400 feet of climbing.  On paved roads on my road bike I'd have a good estimate of how long it would take me to complete each of these distances.  It looks like Loudoun is mostly gravel roads (does not look gnarly from the photos) with at least one stream crossing. Is there a rule of thumb like gravel takes x% longer than tarmac?

I went ahead and made hotel reservations for the 2020 event and I plan to ride it. I'm just trying to figure out what I should sign up for! 

Kevin is not participating in the event. He may bring a bike and do his own thing.

In order to further sell him on this excursion, I did a little bit of research about Loudoun county vineyards and came up with this list of area wineries from Food and Wine’s Best Virginia Wineries to Visit, there are others around:
* Fabbioli http://www.fabbioliwines.com/
* Breaux https://www.breauxvineyards.com/
* Stone Tower: https://www.stonetowerwinery.com/
* Three Fox: https://www.threefoxvineyards.com/

From the course maps looks like the ride takes place in between the vineyards -- Greenhill, Bluemont, and Stone Tower (on the Food and Wine list). 

Jen Stewey and Laura, are you familiar with any of these?

I apologize for the slew of messages all at once.  I looked up this event and it is hosted by EX2 Adventures.  You really can't go wrong with that group.  I have never done (or heard of) this gravel series, but I have done many of their events and have not been let down.  The trail races that Laura is looking at for this year are all hosted by EX2 Adventures.

2020-02-01 5:06 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by abake While we are on the subject of recovery, does anyone here use or know about Whoop? It appears to be a HRM worn on the wrist that uploads metrics to a subscription-based online service. From what I can tell, you can get reports on HRV, sleep quality, recovery, etc. In the past I've tried some free phone-based HRV apps with some success. It's probably not something I'm seriously considering, as I don't need yet another monthly charge, but I'm curious. What say the collective wisdom of the manatees?

I've heard of it, but not much more than that! But here is a thread on slowtwitch about it.

Thank you for the link, that's the feedback I was interested in.
2020-02-01 5:08 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by abake While we are on the subject of recovery, does anyone here use or know about Whoop? It appears to be a HRM worn on the wrist that uploads metrics to a subscription-based online service. From what I can tell, you can get reports on HRV, sleep quality, recovery, etc. In the past I've tried some free phone-based HRV apps with some success. It's probably not something I'm seriously considering, as I don't need yet another monthly charge, but I'm curious. What say the collective wisdom of the manatees?

I've read about it on Slowtwitch and I think that it's come up on Ask a Cycling Coach but that's all I know.

Thank you, the comments in Slowtwitch seem to be split -- people either really like it or they are a bit "meh" about it.
2020-02-01 6:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Kevin said that since it's my first gravel event, I should sign up for the 40.  I'm still wavering a bit.

That is sound advice. My first (35 miles) was done on a hardtail MTB and it was NOT fun. My second (nearly 40) was on the same bike I now have and was more fun. Also, I rode the second one with TW on her e-assist, which always makes me happy. The second was much easier.

So, for me, the bike and the company matter!

ETA - If you don't have a ridewithgps.com login, you may want one. I download routes from there and it seems to have a ton of gravel routes around here on it. 

Edited by cdban66 2020-02-01 6:23 AM
2020-02-01 7:55 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by amd723

I've heard of it, but not much more than that! But here is a thread on slowtwitch about it.

Thank you for the link, that's the feedback I was interested in.
my Garmin with wrist HR has the same features, really. Without the monthly fee. Or another gadget on your wrist. FWIW, i have measured my heartrate separately several times, and the wrist is pretty darn accurate.
2020-02-01 7:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by cdban66

Kevin said that since it's my first gravel event, I should sign up for the 40.  I'm still wavering a bit.

That is sound advice. My first (35 miles) was done on a hardtail MTB and it was NOT fun. My second (nearly 40) was on the same bike I now have and was more fun. Also, I rode the second one with TW on her e-assist, which always makes me happy. The second was much easier.

So, for me, the bike and the company matter!

ETA - If you don't have a ridewithgps.com login, you may want one. I download routes from there and it seems to have a ton of gravel routes around here on it. 

Thanks for that link, Chris. I have been ooking for an app for ride routes. Ill check it out.

2020-02-01 5:26 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jenstewey

OK, I have a dumb question for my gravel friends.  Dumb because I'm pretty sure the answer is in the "it depends" category.

If you are trying to estimate how long it will take you to complete a gravel event, how do you go about that.  For example. Loudoun 1725 ha s a 40 mile option with 2100 feet of climbing and a 60 mile option with 3400 feet of climbing.  On paved roads on my road bike I'd have a good estimate of how long it would take me to complete each of these distances.  It looks like Loudoun is mostly gravel roads (does not look gnarly from the photos) with at least one stream crossing. Is there a rule of thumb like gravel takes x% longer than tarmac?

I went ahead and made hotel reservations for the 2020 event and I plan to ride it. I'm just trying to figure out what I should sign up for! 

Kevin is not participating in the event. He may bring a bike and do his own thing.

In order to further sell him on this excursion, I did a little bit of research about Loudoun county vineyards and came up with this list of area wineries from Food and Wine’s Best Virginia Wineries to Visit, there are others around:

From the course maps looks like the ride takes place in between the vineyards -- Greenhill, Bluemont, and Stone Tower (on the Food and Wine list). 

Also, I hope it goes without saying but if you are doing an event this close me, I will 100% be there to cheer and tour guide as needed!!!!!

Thanks for the info and the offer!

2020-02-01 10:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

....I hate the phrase "never skip a Monday" because when you do heavy volume all week and weekend, it's OK to recover on a Monday. 

That is just what people who have Sunday as their rest day say.  If Monday is your rest day then never skip a Tuesday.

Also...I have a similar question to the Gravel vs Tarmac time difference question.  I will be pacing my brother for 4-5 hours in his 135 mile trail run in two weeks.  I looked up his results from his last 100 mile trail run and he was a pretty consistent 16 min/mi from start to finish.  I have reached out to some of our running friends to see if they would be interested in being on the pacing grew and told them to plan on 16 min/mi pace.  My brother and I ran 550 mile with them from Mississippi to Oklahoma so I know that they all can run seven mile at 10 min/mile pace or better on paved surfaces.  The pacer duties will be about 7 mile segments and so I told them if they could hold 16 min/mi for 7 miles they could pace but a few of them have told me they would love to help out but they don't thing they could do any distance at 16-min/mi "on those surfaces".  Who in this group has done trail runs?  What is your difference in pace between the road and the trail?  Yes...I know it depends, but I have never done any trail running ever so I have zero frame of reference.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-02-01 11:07 PM
2020-02-02 7:40 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Anyone other than me having issues with the app? I tried to post this yesterday, but kept getting an error message.

Anyhow, I had the opportunity to attend a FREE 3-hour USMS stroke clinic with Bill Brenner, the C.O.O. of USMS. We spent 90 minutes on freestyle, 45 minutes on backstroke and 45 minutes on butterfly (which made me want to buttercry).

LOTS and LOTS of drills that provided great feedback on specific stroke dynamics. One that I wanted to share gave me such a lightbulb moment.

I never feel as comfortable breathing right as I do left; however, I make myself bilateral breathe whenever I'm training because you just never know when open water swimming is going to force you to breathe right (or when it just might be downright helpful). I've been told I don't roll as well that way, that my right elbow isn't as high as my left, that I do something with my left pull when I try to breathe right, etc. but nothing I've tried has made it seem like I wasn't fighting something to get air.

We did a drill where you push off the wall with one swim paddle in your hand. You start to kick, place the paddle at the crown of your head, and then swim while bilaterally breathing. The goal is to get to the other end with the paddle staying put. If you're good enough, you can even flip turn with it in place. If the paddle slips, then your head position is off. INSTANT feedback about where things are going awry. I'm lifting my chin and head to get air versus trusting that the air pocket will be there when I breathe right. As soon as I thought about pointing my chin towards my right shoulder while breathing right, the paddle stayed put, my hips didn't drop, I didn't do the wonky thing with my left pull because I didn't have to fight my dropping hips, etc. Total epiphany.

We used the same drill during backstroke as well. Again, it's just good instant feedback.

I have also tasked myself with doing 100 yards of the 4-step butterfly progression he gave us during every swim I do for the remainder of the spring because it's ticking me off so badly that I can't figure out the timing to get my arms out of the water during the recovery that I just HAVE to figure it out.
2020-02-02 12:01 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by lisac957

....I hate the phrase "never skip a Monday" because when you do heavy volume all week and weekend, it's OK to recover on a Monday. 

That is just what people who have Sunday as their rest day say.  If Monday is your rest day then never skip a Tuesday.

Also...I have a similar question to the Gravel vs Tarmac time difference question.  I will be pacing my brother for 4-5 hours in his 135 mile trail run in two weeks.  I looked up his results from his last 100 mile trail run and he was a pretty consistent 16 min/mi from start to finish.  I have reached out to some of our running friends to see if they would be interested in being on the pacing grew and told them to plan on 16 min/mi pace.  My brother and I ran 550 mile with them from Mississippi to Oklahoma so I know that they all can run seven mile at 10 min/mile pace or better on paved surfaces.  The pacer duties will be about 7 mile segments and so I told them if they could hold 16 min/mi for 7 miles they could pace but a few of them have told me they would love to help out but they don't thing they could do any distance at 16-min/mi "on those surfaces".  Who in this group has done trail runs?  What is your difference in pace between the road and the trail?  Yes...I know it depends, but I have never done any trail running ever so I have zero frame of reference.  

i find up to about 1 minute per mile difference in my trail v road paces.

2020-02-02 12:04 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Anyone other than me having issues with the app? I tried to post this yesterday, but kept getting an error message. Anyhow, I had the opportunity to attend a FREE 3-hour USMS stroke clinic with Bill Brenner, the C.O.O. of USMS. We spent 90 minutes on freestyle, 45 minutes on backstroke and 45 minutes on butterfly (which made me want to buttercry). LOTS and LOTS of drills that provided great feedback on specific stroke dynamics. One that I wanted to share gave me such a lightbulb moment. I never feel as comfortable breathing right as I do left; however, I make myself bilateral breathe whenever I'm training because you just never know when open water swimming is going to force you to breathe right (or when it just might be downright helpful). I've been told I don't roll as well that way, that my right elbow isn't as high as my left, that I do something with my left pull when I try to breathe right, etc. but nothing I've tried has made it seem like I wasn't fighting something to get air. We did a drill where you push off the wall with one swim paddle in your hand. You start to kick, place the paddle at the crown of your head, and then swim while bilaterally breathing. The goal is to get to the other end with the paddle staying put. If you're good enough, you can even flip turn with it in place. If the paddle slips, then your head position is off. INSTANT feedback about where things are going awry. I'm lifting my chin and head to get air versus trusting that the air pocket will be there when I breathe right. As soon as I thought about pointing my chin towards my right shoulder while breathing right, the paddle stayed put, my hips didn't drop, I didn't do the wonky thing with my left pull because I didn't have to fight my dropping hips, etc. Total epiphany. We used the same drill during backstroke as well. Again, it's just good instant feedback. I have also tasked myself with doing 100 yards of the 4-step butterfly progression he gave us during every swim I do for the remainder of the spring because it's ticking me off so badly that I can't figure out the timing to get my arms out of the water during the recovery that I just HAVE to figure it out.

Sounds like a great clinic-other than the butterfly stuff! I worked most of last summer trying to get my bilateral breathing down pat. I can do it, but i find it much more natural to just breath left. I'm sure if i put a paddle on the crown of my head it would slip off in about .0001 seconds!

2020-02-02 9:33 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Rest days vs Recovery days.  Everything I have read that mentions senior triathletes emphasizes the need for more frequent and increased recovery time.  My take on that for Jan/Feb has consisted of back-to-back short/medium workouts on Mon/Fri and long solo workouts on Tu/We/Th.  In retrospect, I guess I haven't really had any recovery days, only rest days.  For all of January I have been taking the entire weekends off, but I may want to re-think that.  I have noticed that my weight is invariably up on Mondays, probably because I haven't done diddly over the weekend.  I am thinking about adding a third walk on Sat, medium length.  That would result in 3xSwim, 2xBike, and 3xWalk.

My plan is based on two Build weeks followed by one lighter Recovery week.  I'm in the middle of my Recovery week right now.  My upcoming long walks are 55-60 minutes.  My thought is to drop 5m to make my medium (50-55) walks and 5 more to make my short (45-50) walks.  Walk/run intervals don't start until some time in March or April.

Hmmmm, this could require re-writing my plan for February.  Bummer.  Do y'all think that taking Sunday completely off will be sufficient?  It's not like I have a really heavy training load, not like you folks who are doing HIM and IM training.

Outstanding Mike. I always liked to look back at the month and look at totals. Strong work!
2020-02-02 9:44 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Originally posted by juniperjen

So, wondering about how you all manage sleep. I feel like this is the missing part of my training equation. I know i am in that part of life where sleep is pretty precious - my kids wake up early and are still young enough that they need us up with them. I track my sleep with my garmin and know that most nights i don't get 8 hours. I usually get at least 7, sometimes less but rarely less than 7, sometimes broken up by night waking. I definitely feel better when i do get 8 hours but now with getting training under way and know i need to use my evenings effectively for training. But already i am feeling like my body will demand at least one night a week to get more sleep when i am in the build for HIM training. 

I guess in the vein of the rest/recovery days, should i just plan and realize that at least one night a week i need to make sleep a priority over my training?? 

What say you?

Not in the position to tell you what you need because we all need different things. I have been pushing to increase my sleep. I was hardly getting 6 averaged across the week. About 4 or 5 times a week I do a shift longer than 24 hours. I looked at my sleep and found I missed out on a lot of REM cycle. I only get a significant proportion if I hit 8 hours. There has recently been a number of studies on trauma surgeons (directly relevant to me) and most nights they get about 6.5 hours.

With kids and a career 8 hours just isn't a reasonable goal for me. I would suggest just trying to average 30 minutes more a night if you can. Good luck. Bottom line is do you feel rested?
2020-02-02 9:51 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Originally posted by abake

While we are on the subject of recovery, does anyone here use or know about Whoop? It appears to be a HRM worn on the wrist that uploads metrics to a subscription-based online service. From what I can tell, you can get reports on HRV, sleep quality, recovery, etc.

In the past I've tried some free phone-based HRV apps with some success.

It's probably not something I'm seriously considering, as I don't need yet another monthly charge, but I'm curious. What say the collective wisdom of the manatees?

Two of my partners are currently in a clinical trial with the Whoop. One can't wear hers around her wrist and has it on her arm. I don't see how its different from garmin or apple
2020-02-02 10:19 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Did something different this week and did a week long wilderness medicine course. It was a lot of fun, but obviously made training a little difficult this week. Got a few runs in which was great. Planned a backpacking trip but finished the course to late and conditions seemed a little unsafe so I bailed. Heading to Vegas on Wednesday so I hope to get a few good workouts in before I leave. I need to swim and bike.

Personally I avoid scheduling off days as my schedule often changes beyond my control and I this way I can just drop a day when things get a little too crazy. I do build in easy days and have been really trying to increase my time in zone 2.
2020-02-03 10:24 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I apologize for the slew of messages all at once.  I looked up this event and it is hosted by EX2 Adventures.  You really can't go wrong with that group.  I have never done (or heard of) this gravel series, but I have done many of their events and have not been let down.  The trail races that Laura is looking at for this year are all hosted by EX2 Adventures.

Yup, sorry for being late on this topic. EX2 Adventures is THE BEST!!! I haven't done any of their races, but I have cheered on friends and volunteered at them. They are well run and fun. Still the laid back feeling you want from trail stuff, but not so out there that us Type-A types complain about having no direction, haha.

2020-02-03 10:46 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ooooh, this looks so fun and it's less than 3 hour drive for me AND doesn't include any of the hated '95s', as I call them (routes with 95 in them, usually a driving nightmare).  Route 15 is a nice drive for me.  The only hangup is I don't have a gravel bike...I guess I could check the LBS and see if anyone rents for a weekend...

2020-02-03 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

SLEEP

I can't even remember what 7-8 uninterrupted hours felt like.  I kept telling my dr that I was getting up too many times a night, but this was the only time I was not happy with him.  His response was simply "Well, you're getting to the age where men have to get up more often."  It took a cardiac event, a catheterization, and a stent before someone (my cardiologist) recommended a sleep study.  Nowadays I sleep on a CPAP and consider 2 hours between trips to be a good night.  Every now and then I even get a 4-5 hours stretch, but I certainly cannot count on it or schedule around it.  It is VERY random.

With that said, I am generally in bed by 9 and hopefully asleep within 30 minutes.  We get up at 6 each morning.  This seems to work well enough for me.

2020-02-03 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

TECH/APPS

I would have to describe my self as a VERY casual triathlete.  And, as such, I have found minimal tech works just fine for me.  I currently get almost all the info I want from my Timex Ironman 50 wristwatch.  I do  have to admit that I enjoy getting the HR info from the Expresso bikes at the Y.  Somewhere back at the house my daughter and her kids are living in there is a Timex HR monitor from 2012 (can't remember the model).  I might spend the money for another one later this year, after my social security kicks in.

Wondering if anyone  has done a head-to-head comparison of the Under Armor Mapmyride vs Ridewithgps apps.  I have the MapMyFitness app on my phone already and it seems to do the job.  What "benefit" is there to switching to ridewithgps?

And finally, 10 years ago, when we were going to WW's meetings they had a pretty neat app for tracking nutrition.  Does anybody recommend a good nutrition tracker?  Especially one that has all the carbs/proteins/fats data for a boatload of different foods.  Maybe even one where I can input the recipe and the app does the rest for me.

2020-02-03 12:49 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Proof of life. Has been sick for over a week now. Nothing serious, justa cold, but it does not let me exercise, and I hate it because I am unable to do the challenge
Anyways, I hope everyone stays healthy and strong Happy Monday!
2020-02-03 1:10 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

JoGo update day!

This week marks the middle of our challenge.

Dooo Eeettt!!!

2020-02-03 1:11 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia

Yup, sorry for being late on this topic. EX2 Adventures is THE BEST!!! I haven't done any of their races, but I have cheered on friends and volunteered at them. They are well run and fun. Still the laid back feeling you want from trail stuff, but not so out there that us Type-A types complain about having no direction, haha.

Glad to hear it!

2020-02-03 1:12 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Proof of life. Has been sick for over a week now. Nothing serious, justa cold, but it does not let me exercise, and I hate it because I am unable to do the challenge Anyways, I hope everyone stays healthy and strong Happy Monday!

I'm glad that you are feeling more yourself.  Take care as you continue to recover.

2020-02-03 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

TECH/APPS

I would have to describe my self as a VERY casual triathlete.  And, as such, I have found minimal tech works just fine for me.  I currently get almost all the info I want from my Timex Ironman 50 wristwatch.  I do  have to admit that I enjoy getting the HR info from the Expresso bikes at the Y.  Somewhere back at the house my daughter and her kids are living in there is a Timex HR monitor from 2012 (can't remember the model).  I might spend the money for another one later this year, after my social security kicks in.

Wondering if anyone  has done a head-to-head comparison of the Under Armor Mapmyride vs Ridewithgps apps.  I have the MapMyFitness app on my phone already and it seems to do the job.  What "benefit" is there to switching to ridewithgps?

And finally, 10 years ago, when we were going to WW's meetings they had a pretty neat app for tracking nutrition.  Does anybody recommend a good nutrition tracker?  Especially one that has all the carbs/proteins/fats data for a boatload of different foods.  Maybe even one where I can input the recipe and the app does the rest for me.

I am using Carb Manager. It is meant for Keto nutrition, (which I was, but not now). I have found that it has more foods and has more nutrition info for each than any other, and I have used most all  of them. You can do recipes as well.

2020-02-03 1:38 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master

I am struggling with JoGo....not doing terrible on the strength/yoga, but my weight is going in the wrong direction....Not for lack of workouts, so likely a result of eating the wrong things. I need to get back on less carbs, but carbs are so easy for snacks (ie toast and PB). So little time right now that meal planning/prep is difficult to do. I'm also struggling with my Seasonal Affective Disorder--low motivation and lack of concentration mostly, thankfully no depressive symptoms (well aside the fact that an Oreo cookie commercial almost had me sobbing on the weekend! )  But its a new week, so, onward!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127