BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-25 1:11 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by IronOx

I finally feel some fitness coming back.  I ran Sat morning, didn't feel great, but not terrible either.  HR didn't skyrocket so that was good.  Swam Sat evening and felt good.  Bike run brick yesterday (2:20 and :35).  Bike targets were tough, but do-able, and I kept a 5:35/km or better pace on the run for the first time in months.  Certainly not 'in shape' yet, but felt strong for the first time in awhile .  Yay iron supplements!

Awesome!  Such a great feeling to have your legs "come back under you."  Nice set.

2020-02-25 1:12 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by glfprncs The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah. Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs. My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k. I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace. Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

Nice work!  Sorry about the course SNAFU...  and yes, we do seem to be proud of odd things. ("I can pee on the bike!")  

I definitely "embrace the suck," but peeing on the bike is one I STILL haven't managed.  Oddly, was thinking about it last night while day-dreaming about actually racing again.  Yep, we're an odd bunch!  Good on ya' both (but I definitely won't be drafting during a group ride with you)

LOL, i'm with you - no peeing on the bike for me either!

2020-02-25 1:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah. Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs. My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k. I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace. Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

Nice work!  Sorry about the course SNAFU...  and yes, we do seem to be proud of odd things. ("I can pee on the bike!")  

I definitely "embrace the suck," but peeing on the bike is one I STILL haven't managed.  Oddly, was thinking about it last night while day-dreaming about actually racing again.  Yep, we're an odd bunch!  Good on ya' both (but I definitely won't be drafting during a group ride with you)

Oh, I didn't say that *I* could.  Just that as a group we are proud of such things 

Edited by IronOx 2020-02-25 1:52 PM
2020-02-25 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5  I definitely "embrace the suck," but peeing on the bike is one I STILL haven't managed. Yep, we're an odd bunch!  Good on ya' both (but I definitely won't be drafting during a group ride with you)

Just an FYI, peloton ettiquette on the professional circuit is that you (a) announce your intention, and (b) move all the way to the right before letting go.

2020-02-25 8:32 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I was very proud that in the process of completing my first (and at the rate I've been going, quite possibly only) full Ironman, I learned to pee on the bike.
2020-02-26 8:26 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I am currently three pounds behind my goal on the weight loss, BUT there is a really positive note from it as well.  My Nutrition goal was to keep my blood sugar readings within 10% of the recommended ADA guidelines, which I  have managed to do that for all but the first week (before I actually started the JoGo and created that goal).

Even better, For the last 10 days I have actually been below the ADA's recommended fasting score in the mornings!

Good stuff, Mike, keep up the good work!

2020-02-26 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I saw this and it made me laugh. Nothing like setting the bar high!

(Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 9.34.28 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 9.34.28 AM.png (229KB - 1 downloads)
2020-02-26 8:58 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

I am currently three pounds behind my goal on the weight loss, BUT there is a really positive note from it as well.  My Nutrition goal was to keep my blood sugar readings within 10% of the recommended ADA guidelines, which I  have managed to do that for all but the first week (before I actually started the JoGo and created that goal).

Even better, For the last 10 days I have actually been below the ADA's recommended fasting score in the mornings!

Good stuff, Mike, keep up the good work!

Nice!!

I failed my running and exercising goals, first becuase of the sickness, then injury, then tralel, and injury...
BUT - I am very proud of myself for keeping up with the food goals! It has always been so important to me to have breakfast in the mroning, yet, I never did it (I have a hard time getting off the bed....). I keep having breakfast with my kids in the morning, which add some bonding/family time bonus. And I decreased my coffe to only one per day (yayyyy!!!!!!), and increased drinking water. Very happy here

Looking forward to hear other folks challenge stories I am in for another round.
2020-02-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

lol - I got similar ones yesterday evening for pairing an apple watch and "running" my first mile.  Low bars rule!  It's the secret to what modicum of success I've had in life - managing the expectations of others sufficiently low that I exceed them. 

2020-02-26 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Swim - 51m 42s - 2200.00 yards - 02m 21s /100 yards
Was supposed to be only 2100 yds. Miscounted and my new watch told me that both of my 5 lap sets were actually 6 lap sets, thus 50 yds extra each set. Oops. Still trying to figure out the watch.

Weight: 362, no sneakers, weighed in on the way to the pool, shorts and t-shirt only.  Of course, with the 1/2 stromboli I had for supper last night I'm not complaining.   I still have time to hit my 360 goal for Friday.

2020-02-26 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Swim - 51m 42s - 2200.00 yards - 02m 21s /100 yards
Was supposed to be only 2100 yds. Miscounted and my new watch told me that both of my 5 lap sets were actually 6 lap sets, thus 50 yds extra each set. Oops. Still trying to figure out the watch.

Weight: 362, no sneakers, weighed in on the way to the pool, shorts and t-shirt only.  Of course, with the 1/2 stromboli I had for supper last night I'm not complaining.   I still have time to hit my 360 goal for Friday.

The watch detects when you "turn" so if your stroke stutters at all, or you have to stop mid lap for some reason (kids cut you off, wayward water walker in your lane, etc.) if will count that as a length.

2020-02-26 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

First Impressions of my new Polar Vantage M training watch

PROS:

• Right off the bat, it's lightweight.  I mean it weighs even less than my standard watch, a Timex Ironman Classic 50.  Honestly, if this Polar lives up to expectations I don't really foresee the Timex getting much use in the future.  Maybe I will gift it to my 12 yr old GS, who I am going to try to tempt into starting to train for a triathlon next year.
  • Recording laps in my pool were spot on.  In fact, it did better than I did.  Today's swim was a pyramid swim 1-6-6-1.  But somehow I miscounted and the watch said that both my 5 lap sets were in fact 6 laps sets.  I was a little disgruntled when I saw that on the watch, thinking it couldn't even count to 5 accurately.  Then I checked it on the mobile app and my laptop.  (sheepish grin)  Apparently it is I who cannot count to 5 accurately.  So, no more having to push the SPLIT button on my Timex.
  • An unexpected bonus, it records the rest time between lap sets, so I don't have to do the math.  So when I reviewed the workout I see that the total duration was 59:14, but the actual working duration was only 51:04.  It even displays a timer in the bottom right of the display so I can keep consistent on my 30s rest pattern.
  • I'm going to assume that the heart rate data is reasonably accurate.  It shows my HR rising at the start of each lap set, leveling off during it, and then recovering during my 30s rests.  I know DCR expressed dissatisfaction in his review, but that was a comparison of 4-6 different devices at the same time.  Personally, the data I got appears to be sufficient for my needs.
  • The watch does come with a series of pre-loaded "apps"(?) for a variety of different sports.  These do include swimming, indoor cycling, cycling, triathlon; as well as walking, hiking, running, treadmill running, and trail running.  I will probably comment on those later, as I use them.

CONS:

• I HATE online user manuals!  Better suck it up cupcake, that is the way the entire world is going nowadays.  In fact, I  haven't even opened it on my laptop yet.  I really prefer hard copies.
  • The learning curve.  There is a veritable paucity of online tutorials.  And the ones that are out there are for you fleet-footed runner types.  I found DCR's review of the Vantage while swimming, but nothing out there instructional.
  • Even worse, I found NOTHING about setting it up or using it for either cycling or triathlon.
  • Polar's own instructional videos are short, barely informational, and decidedly run focused.

All things considered, I suppose that is a fairly short list of CONS.  The one thing every reviewer mentions, and knocks them down for, is the lack of smartphone notifications.  I don't know about you, but when I am training I do not want to be bothered.  Leave me a voice mail and if I want to talk to you I will respond after I have finished.  I don't want anyone intruding on my "happy time".  WOW!  Never thought I would refer to sweating my butt off as "happy time".  But, of course, I grew up before cell phones, so I guess I am not dependent upon "instant access".

2020-02-26 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey all,

So, as I'm dipping the ol' toes back in the sport (and working through PT), I've been cleared back in hot to the pod!  Sooooo... a brief (not my specialty) bio.

Matt McManus. 51 yo. Kim is TBH (The Better Half or "DW"), three kids (DS1 in college, DD a senior in HS and DS2 a sophomore), four dogs (three are "ours" and one is a long term foster - really, we belong to the four of them) the smallest of which is ~70 pounds - don't ask about the biggest...  We live in Austin, TX and have for coming up on 6 years (originally a New Englandah).

Been doing tri since the early 90's, with a couple hiatuses.  Been a dabbler the last couple years, with the last year being the first with no tri in a long time (bad shoulder - just running races).  Yeah, so about that shoulder, got it fixed right up on 1/8 this year (a LOT of work on it, for better or worse).  Now coming back with PT but expect a full recovery in another 6-7 months.

So, probably will do some running races.  Getting back on the trainer presently, as I can mostly hold myself upright.  Cleared to run and start swimming again around 4/8, but will need to build the swim up sloooooowly.  Maybe (maaaaybe) get a fall tri in?  After a nice break (doing some FUN other stuff, even with a bum shoulder), I'm now more excited about training and getting back to racing than I have been in a while, which feels great.

I'm a "former" lots of things, but currently run a molecular diagnostics company (we make kits that hospitals and commercial labs buy to test their patients - largely in genetics and oncology).  We just got our most recent FDA clearance for a test for Fragile X syndrome (the most common genetic cause of autism, first line test in developmental delay, and a few other things) last week.  Not tri related, but has been fun...  Good thing about work is that I have a pretty flexible schedule when I'm not traveling.  

I think that's more than anyone (even me) cares to know about me, so I'll stop.  One of the downsides to typing quickly is that I do go on... so forewarned about my posts! 

Anywho, glad to be swimming (or walking and Zwifting atm) with the pod again.

Matt

2020-02-26 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all,

So, as I'm dipping the ol' toes back in the sport (and working through PT), I've been cleared back in hot to the pod!  Sooooo... a brief (not my specialty) bio.

Matt McManus. 51 yo. Kim is TBH (The Better Half or "DW"), three kids (DS1 in college, DD a senior in HS and DS2 a sophomore), four dogs (three are "ours" and one is a long term foster - really, we belong to the four of them) the smallest of which is ~70 pounds - don't ask about the biggest...  We live in Austin, TX and have for coming up on 6 years (originally a New Englandah).

Been doing tri since the early 90's, with a couple hiatuses.  Been a dabbler the last couple years, with the last year being the first with no tri in a long time (bad shoulder - just running races).  Yeah, so about that shoulder, got it fixed right up on 1/8 this year (a LOT of work on it, for better or worse).  Now coming back with PT but expect a full recovery in another 6-7 months.

So, probably will do some running races.  Getting back on the trainer presently, as I can mostly hold myself upright.  Cleared to run and start swimming again around 4/8, but will need to build the swim up sloooooowly.  Maybe (maaaaybe) get a fall tri in?  After a nice break (doing some FUN other stuff, even with a bum shoulder), I'm now more excited about training and getting back to racing than I have been in a while, which feels great.

I'm a "former" lots of things, but currently run a molecular diagnostics company (we make kits that hospitals and commercial labs buy to test their patients - largely in genetics and oncology).  We just got our most recent FDA clearance for a test for Fragile X syndrome (the most common genetic cause of autism, first line test in developmental delay, and a few other things) last week.  Not tri related, but has been fun...  Good thing about work is that I have a pretty flexible schedule when I'm not traveling.  

I think that's more than anyone (even me) cares to know about me, so I'll stop.  One of the downsides to typing quickly is that I do go on... so forewarned about my posts! 

Matt

welcome back, Matt.
2020-02-27 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey all,

Matt

Welcome back, Matt! 

Sadly, we all have a lot of experience with PT and recovering from various things.  We have two shoulder surguries and and elbow recovery that I can think of off the top of my head. 

I look forward to seeing you on Zwift!

2020-02-27 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

First Impressions of my new Polar Vantage M training watch

PROS:

• Right off the bat, it's lightweight.  I mean it weighs even less than my standard watch, a Timex Ironman Classic 50.  Honestly, if this Polar lives up to expectations I don't really foresee the Timex getting much use in the future.  Maybe I will gift it to my 12 yr old GS, who I am going to try to tempt into starting to train for a triathlon next year.
  • Recording laps in my pool were spot on.  In fact, it did better than I did.  Today's swim was a pyramid swim 1-6-6-1.  But somehow I miscounted and the watch said that both my 5 lap sets were in fact 6 laps sets.  I was a little disgruntled when I saw that on the watch, thinking it couldn't even count to 5 accurately.  Then I checked it on the mobile app and my laptop.  (sheepish grin)  Apparently it is I who cannot count to 5 accurately.  So, no more having to push the SPLIT button on my Timex.
  • An unexpected bonus, it records the rest time between lap sets, so I don't have to do the math.  So when I reviewed the workout I see that the total duration was 59:14, but the actual working duration was only 51:04.  It even displays a timer in the bottom right of the display so I can keep consistent on my 30s rest pattern.
  • I'm going to assume that the heart rate data is reasonably accurate.  It shows my HR rising at the start of each lap set, leveling off during it, and then recovering during my 30s rests.  I know DCR expressed dissatisfaction in his review, but that was a comparison of 4-6 different devices at the same time.  Personally, the data I got appears to be sufficient for my needs.
  • The watch does come with a series of pre-loaded "apps"(?) for a variety of different sports.  These do include swimming, indoor cycling, cycling, triathlon; as well as walking, hiking, running, treadmill running, and trail running.  I will probably comment on those later, as I use them.

CONS:

• I HATE online user manuals!  Better suck it up cupcake, that is the way the entire world is going nowadays.  In fact, I  haven't even opened it on my laptop yet.  I really prefer hard copies.
  • The learning curve.  There is a veritable paucity of online tutorials.  And the ones that are out there are for you fleet-footed runner types.  I found DCR's review of the Vantage while swimming, but nothing out there instructional.
  • Even worse, I found NOTHING about setting it up or using it for either cycling or triathlon.
  • Polar's own instructional videos are short, barely informational, and decidedly run focused.

All things considered, I suppose that is a fairly short list of CONS.  The one thing every reviewer mentions, and knocks them down for, is the lack of smartphone notifications.  I don't know about you, but when I am training I do not want to be bothered.  Leave me a voice mail and if I want to talk to you I will respond after I have finished.  I don't want anyone intruding on my "happy time".  WOW!  Never thought I would refer to sweating my butt off as "happy time".  But, of course, I grew up before cell phones, so I guess I am not dependent upon "instant access".

In my experience, the DCR posts are better than the manuals.  That's been true with Garmin and I would not be surprised if that is also the case for Polar (and Suunto and Coros and...).  Seriously, ask your questions in the blog posts and I think that you'll get responses.

2020-02-27 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hey all,

Matt

Welcome back, Matt! 

Sadly, we all have a lot of experience with PT and recovering from various things.  We have two shoulder surguries and and elbow recovery that I can think of off the top of my head. 

I look forward to seeing you on Zwift!

Yes welcome back! Shoulder surgeries and the follow-up PT are so much fun! Good to see you on strava again!

2020-02-27 8:29 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This article is kind of interesting and seems to track with my personal experience. That being said, I use Nuun on shorter rides and Skatch on longer trainer rides.

Sorry, hard core athletes, those electrolytes don't help as much as you may think

"participants with EAH (exercise-associated hyponatremia) had, on average, shorter training programs, weighed more and took five to six hours longer to complete the race, the authors said"

In my experience, if I am less well trained for the distance or less well acclimated, I am more likely to have hydration issues. Also, on rides like Bike MS or Tour de Cure, if it's not and I can spend less time at rest stops, and therefore less time in the heat, I tend to feel better.

As with all things, your mileage may vary.

2020-02-27 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Congratulations!!!!
2020-02-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Congratulations!!!!

haha! I wasn't me! It popped up in my Strava feed yesterday for a tri club member that I did Chattanooga with in 2016 and still follow.

2020-02-27 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

This article is kind of interesting and seems to track with my personal experience. That being said, I use Nuun on shorter rides and Skatch on longer trainer rides.

Sorry, hard core athletes, those electrolytes don't help as much as you may think

"participants with EAH (exercise-associated hyponatremia) had, on average, shorter training programs, weighed more and took five to six hours longer to complete the race, the authors said"

In my experience, if I am less well trained for the distance or less well acclimated, I am more likely to have hydration issues. Also, on rides like Bike MS or Tour de Cure, if it's not and I can spend less time at rest stops, and therefore less time in the heat, I tend to feel better.

That is an interesting article. I just skimmed it, so if it mentioned what the runners were using as far as brand, I did not find it. They referenced "salt tabs". Most of the sports drinks now have much more than just sodium -- calcium, magnesium, etc. all come into play. I also use Skratch on longer rides and can say without hesitation that I can stave off leg cramps on hot days if I am mindful about drinking it. But yes, YMMV

2020-02-27 8:44 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

That is an interesting article. I just skimmed it, so if it mentioned what the runners were using as far as brand, I did not find it. They referenced "salt tabs". Most of the sports drinks now have much more than just sodium -- calcium, magnesium, etc. all come into play. I also use Skratch on longer rides and can say without hesitation that I can stave off leg cramps on hot days if I am mindful about drinking it. But yes, YMMV

The article just said: Some runners took salt tablets every hour, while others diluted electrolytes in a water bottle

2020-02-27 9:17 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

The article just said: Some runners took salt tablets every hour, while others diluted electrolytes in a water bottle

reading the article, i didn't find that the title was accurate. The bottom line was that people were drinking more liquid trying to replace electrolytes, thus getting hyponatremia. So it isnt that the electrolytes were the problem, it is a dosing issue.
2020-02-27 9:29 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

reading the article, i didn't find that the title was accurate. The bottom line was that people were drinking more liquid trying to replace electrolytes, thus getting hyponatremia. So it isnt that the electrolytes were the problem, it is a dosing issue.

You may be correct, perhaps the electrolytes are too diluted.

2020-02-27 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

You may be correct, perhaps the electrolytes are too diluted.

Alex Hutchinson has been basically saying a lot of this for years . And Staci Sims has a strong take on sport drinks as well.

There have only been 2 instances where cramping has been an issue with me: swimming right after long runs at the beginning of a training plan and during the run at IMChoo. Both were due to muscle fatigue.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127