BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-03 2:23 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Master
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Welcome Riley!  Welcome back all the "Once a Manatees"! 

Last day of vaca for me...booooo!  Got workouts in yesterday and today, though, so starting off well!  Have a great Tuesday all.

2017-01-03 2:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Yes, the 11-28 will provide a lower gear ratio than the 11-25 will.  I think Ben wrote about it earlier, but you divide the rear cog (the number on the cassette) by the front crank, and that tells you how "Hard" it is to pedal.  So, all things equal it will feel easier to spin up in the 28 than the 25.  That's oversimplifying of course but so answer your question...YES

As for greasy hands - yeah, that'll happen when changing the cassette.  But if you so from flat to terrain to hilly often, then it's worth the trouble buying the $30 worth of tools and learning how to do it.

It's the other way around, front over back. The ratio is between what the front is doing over the back. The bigger this ratio is, the more the rear wheel will spin for 1 turn of the cranks.

50/28=1.79

50/11=4.55

In the 28, the rear wheel spins 1.79 times for every turn of the crank whereas with the 11 it will spin 4.55 times. So the 11 is meant to be used at faster speeds than the 28.

The term "hard" is often used, but do remember that it's more about matching up what you like to spin at for the speeds you expect to be going. Using the 28t to go 25 mph is also hard, just in a different way. The hard part is that you're trying to pedal at a cadence outside of what you're used to or best at. It comes up way more often for uphill as you have to keep putting out power to get over. You can slow down enough that you're working outside of normal (below normal in this case) even in the lowest gear. Going down hill you just stop pedaling and coast instead of pedaling crazy fast.

Fair enough  - I think what I way trying to relate is how much resistance you'll encounter from the pedal. 

2017-01-03 2:33 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 Name: Riley Skye Social media: Facebook and instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ribear91/) Story: Been a runner my whole life and got into triathlon when I graduated high school in '09. Got into the best shape of my life in those years, was even on BT for a number of years as well! Triathlon really got me to love running since I was also cycling and swimming. I dropped the 20lb I always wanted to and became very competitive. I began collecting various AG awards, got my 5K down to 20 minutes. I finished every distance under the sun culminating with IMLP back in 2012. Then afterwards I came out as transgender and the stresses of coming out made my depression take over. I quit the sport and gained 80lb in the process as well. Life wasn't good until I decided to make it better last year. I got back into triathlon and though I struggled last year I managed to finish several triathlons, plenty of 5K's and even the great cow harbor 10K 4 months ago! I'm so very happy to have turned myself back around for the better with a new leaf on life Family status: I have a lovely girlfriend and still living with the parents Current training: Trying to be consisstant after dealing with sickness and injury the past couple months Goals: finish an olympic distance triathlon, run a sub 50 minute 10K and 23 minute 5K What make me a good manatee: BT was such a great community when I was here from 09-12, everyone here was so fun and friendly and I'm finally getting back into my sport and want to get faster!
Welcome Riley. Congrats on getting through the life changes and back to triathlon. I love the line "life wasn't good until I decided to make it better". It applies to everyone.

2017-01-03 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 Name: Riley Skye Social media: Facebook and instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ribear91/) Story: Been a runner my whole life and got into triathlon when I graduated high school in '09. Got into the best shape of my life in those years, was even on BT for a number of years as well! Triathlon really got me to love running since I was also cycling and swimming. I dropped the 20lb I always wanted to and became very competitive. I began collecting various AG awards, got my 5K down to 20 minutes. I finished every distance under the sun culminating with IMLP back in 2012. Then afterwards I came out as transgender and the stresses of coming out made my depression take over. I quit the sport and gained 80lb in the process as well. Life wasn't good until I decided to make it better last year. I got back into triathlon and though I struggled last year I managed to finish several triathlons, plenty of 5K's and even the great cow harbor 10K 4 months ago! I'm so very happy to have turned myself back around for the better with a new leaf on life Family status: I have a lovely girlfriend and still living with the parents Current training: Trying to be consisstant after dealing with sickness and injury the past couple months Goals: finish an olympic distance triathlon, run a sub 50 minute 10K and 23 minute 5K What make me a good manatee: BT was such a great community when I was here from 09-12, everyone here was so fun and friendly and I'm finally getting back into my sport and want to get faster!

Wait...WHAT??? Like, 2009???  OMG I'm so old. 

Welcome, Riley.  Glad you made it through those tough times and are in the right place.  I like how you've set realistic goals, too, rather than shooting for the moon to start.  Good luck on your journey back!

2017-01-03 2:38 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wait...WHAT??? Like, 2009???  OMG I'm so old

Welcome, Riley.  Glad you made it through those tough times and are in the right place.  I like how you've set realistic goals, too, rather than shooting for the moon to start.  Good luck on your journey back!

Yeah, I hear ya... about the same age as my kid

2017-01-03 2:42 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Wait...WHAT??? Like, 2009???  OMG I'm so old

Yeah, I hear ya... about the same age as my kid

Younger than my girls. Good lawd, how did everyone get so young and I'm still the same?!? 

Welcome Riley, I hope that we are able to be the community that is fun, friendly and helpful.

2017-01-03 2:43 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York
Thanks For the support everyone! I've learned a lot from the past few years and I'm definitely ready to get back into being competitive and not just finishing

I learned a lot from picking myself back up, we're all in control of ourselves, it's only a matter of how much we want to achieve our goals!
2017-01-03 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jet Black Y'all need to start waxing your chains. My drivetrain is always sparkly clean. No more dirty hands or black lines on my calf either. And it allegedly saves watts.

No chance I have a clean chain, not on this:

It may be clean when I start, but after pulling hay and grass out of the rear wheel...

Edited by cdban66 2017-01-03 2:54 PM
2017-01-03 4:03 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome Riley!

2017-01-03 4:10 PM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

I'm Barbara. I grew up swimming but switched to running after college when it seemed like it took less time. This year will be my third 70.3 (Victoria ). I am slow and would really like to get to a faster version of slow

I am married with a 5yo iron kid and work full time

I am currently doing a bike focused off season plan

Races: Victoria 70.3 so far

I tried to join last year but it was full. There aren't any tri groups around here and I really like a team environment. This seems like one of the only threads that stays active.
2017-01-03 4:17 PM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 I'm Barbara. I grew up swimming but switched to running after college when it seemed like it took less time. This year will be my third 70.3 (Victoria ). I am slow and would really like to get to a faster version of slow I am married with a 5yo iron kid and work full time I am currently doing a bike focused off season plan Races: Victoria 70.3 so far I tried to join last year but it was full. There aren't any tri groups around here and I really like a team environment. This seems like one of the only threads that stays active.

Welcome Barbara!

I like the goal of getting to a faster version of slow. I might adopt that

2017-01-03 4:37 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 I'm Barbara. I grew up swimming but switched to running after college when it seemed like it took less time. This year will be my third 70.3 (Victoria ). I am slow and would really like to get to a faster version of slow I am married with a 5yo iron kid and work full time I am currently doing a bike focused off season plan Races: Victoria 70.3 so far I tried to join last year but it was full. There aren't any tri groups around here and I really like a team environment. This seems like one of the only threads that stays active.

Fasten your seatbelt, this group moves fast!!  And some of the time we actually discuss swim, bike, run  

2017-01-03 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome!

Kirsten has done Victoria 70.3 before and I think Karen may have as well!

2017-01-03 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Welcome Barbara!

I like the goal of getting to a faster version of slow. I might adopt that

Forward *is* a pace!

2017-01-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by melbo55

Fasten your seatbelt, this group moves fast!!  And some of the time we actually discuss swim, bike, run  

Personally I think this short clip sums up the manatee "experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CCh9sk-9l4
2017-01-03 6:26 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry--haven't done Victoria 70.3. The only Canadian event I have done is Calgary.

2017-01-03 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Welcome Barbara, you may have joined one of the more interesting "teams" around.

2017-01-03 6:42 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

Welcome!

Kirsten has done Victoria 70.3 before and I think Karen may have as well!

Welcome to the Manatees, Barbara!  Glad you got in this year.

I have done Victoria 70.3 twice.  2015 was good.  Last year was a shyte-show.  Self seeding area was way too narrow for anyone to get where they should be.  Swim shortened due to nasty weeds in the lake.  I was pulling by grabbing weeds and literally pulling myself through the water.  To get out of the water, you had to take a volunteers hand and get pulled up onto the dock.  Not enough room for very many volunteers and the pitch was such that they couldn't get too close to the edge or they would fall in.  We were 6 deep trying to get out!  They have moved the swim back to Beaver Lake, so that is good.  The swim course is a bit different than 2015, but you exit on a sandy beach.  On the bike course, it wasn't closed; early on there were people turning right from the left lane in front of bikers.  The vast majority of the bike is really good, just that one bad area (maybe 10km at the start?).  Run is awesome, two loops around the lake.  I think they learned from last year, as there was major feedback given

2017-01-03 7:01 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Thank all of you for the primer in gearing and cassettes! I've ridden for years and managed to avoid gaining any knowledge of it of course, living where I do, it really hasn't been much of an issue.  

Assuming my hamstring ever heals and I can actually start riding ( and running) again, I will get the 11-28 and attempt to learn how to switch things out. Greasy hands be damned!!

The LBS is your friend. Bring a six pack, and a desire to learn and most of them are quite helpful. If all else fails, take a trip to Englewood on a Saturday 

And latex shop gloves can be helpful for your own use. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKlQgTHi_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-MYHOpzT5A

I just find the English accent appealing 

Everything sounds better with an Irish or English accent! Thanks for the clips and the reminder that they make things like latex gloves!!

2017-01-03 7:02 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome new Manatees! Don't be scared by the pace of the thread, just jump right in!!

2017-01-03 8:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Welcome new Manatees! Don't be scared by the pace of the thread, just jump right in!!

Amen - I go to bed and you guys add 3 pages on me.

Welcome to all the new Manatees its great to have you.

2017-01-03 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Sorry I'm a little late to the dance.
NAME: Jim

Attorney/ East Tawas, MI

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, James Bacarella, Twitter, @JamesBacarella (that took a lot of thought), I have an instagram, jabacarella (but never post, mostly used to creep on my kids).

STORY: I was a runner when I was young, military and stress relief, I never ran a race until I was 40. I had stopped all things exercise when I met my wife, officially 24 years ago on New Years Eve and in August we will celebrate 24 years of marriage. The result was a 14 year hiatus from all exercise. When I was 39 I had that physical. You know the one where I am 30 lbs over weight, and my numbers were a mess. everything that was supposed to be low was high and everything that was supposed to be high was low. Throw in a high stress job and the MD said I was basically "at risk" for everything. I started with diet, not a diet, just modified it to the "Don't eat like a pig" diet. I eat all "normal" foods just in moderation. Instead of half of a large pizza I eat 2 pieces, etc. Then I started walking and then running again.
One Saturday we were taking our kids to soccer and we had to stop for the local triathlon as the athletes were going from the swim to T1. I turned to my wife and said I am going to do that next year. She said Okay. Then I asked will you teach me to swim and she said okay. Since then I have done every distance including IM Louisville last October.
Last year went sideways for me, I don't know how I was able to complete my IM. Hopefully I will have limited to no tragedy this year and will have consistency this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Michelle it will we 24 years in August. We have 4 kids Maria, (22) Sophia (20) Alexadria (18) and Sam (16). The two oldest are at Michigan State a senior and sophomore. The younger two are in high school a senior and a sophomore. The youngest three have all done triathlons, my oldest does not understand why anyone would run without a ball. The youngest girl is a state qualifier in cross country, but does not intend to run in college.

CURRENT TRAINING: Winter trainer and treadmill workouts mostly using The Sufferfest on the trainer. I will do the tour de Sufferlandria this Winter. I am also doing strength training this year. Swimming is an issue, the closest pool is 1.5 hours away, so I only swim when I work out of town.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Sunrise Side Triathlon HIM, East Tawas, MI (I'm married to this one, I act as the city's liaison to the event). I'm trying to convince my wife it would be a good idea to do over IM Louisville,

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: To continue active involvement in triathlon. I plan on doing the IM in Italy in 2018 or 19.
It's nice to be able to bounce things off of a super supportive group with similar interests. I did get a slot in Escape from Alcatraz, but that falls between daughters number 1 and 3 graduating from college and high school respectively.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: The social aspect and training support are the most important parts of this for me. Let's be honest, my wife and kids have a limited interest in my triathlon obsession, but they tolerate me, and I try to respect that. Although, my wife proved to be a top notch sherpa/cheerleader and a hell of a lot tougher than me at IM Louisville, never leaving the course, meeting me at several points in the race and non stop social media posts, doing it on no food and in the UC flare that would cost her her large intestine a month later.
I find that involvement in a BT group keeps me motivated to train.

Edited by JBacarella 2017-01-03 8:43 PM
2017-01-03 9:08 PM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Thanks Kirsten. I will probably pick your brain for more information as the race gets closer. Last year I did Coeur d'Alene but since I live South of Seattle the idea of taking a ferry sounded like great race travel.
2017-01-03 10:24 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 Thanks Kirsten. I will probably pick your brain for more information as the race gets closer. Last year I did Coeur d'Alene but since I live South of Seattle the idea of taking a ferry sounded like great race travel.

Perfect--I am fairly certain I will do Coeur D'Alene this year, I can pick your brain right back

2017-01-04 1:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Ok the "Turtle Challenge" may just be bringing out the extreme competitiveness of my 60 year old mother. She fell over while doing her run today and split her head open.

Apparently her first thought was "oh I'm not moving i had better stop my watch."
This was quickly followed by "oh hang on I have to walk the 400m home and I might not have finished the 4km that was scheduled for today so better start it again just in case."
She then walked home using her hat to try and stem the bleeding and got my dad to take her to emergency to have her head stitched up and they xrayed her shoulder to make sure she hadn't broken anything when she landed. They kept her there for 4 hours to make sure she wasn't concussed and then let her go. Her biggest concerns are:
1. she broke the screen and scratched up her brand new Garmin 235;
2. her hat is now covered in blood and ruined;
3. one of her favourite running shirts is also ruined; and
4. she might need to rearrange the rest of the weeks scheduled runs because she doesn't have a Drs certificate to say she cant run only the notes on dealing with a head injury that they gave her.

Edited by StaceyK 2017-01-04 1:42 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102