BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-12-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Hi Manatees!

Sorry I've been MIA for the past while - a combo of crazy busy at work (and only slightly better this week) and I can't find my mojo anywhere.  

I've looked everywhere I can think of - the apartment, in cupboards, drawers, in the closet, under the bed, at work, at the gym... and it's just not anywhere to be found at the moment.  I'm still doing "stuff" and getting off my butt, however, it just feels like I'm going through the motions.  I know I work best when I have a plan and a schedule to follow so I just feel like I'm floundering at the moment.  

I guess I should get off my (expanding) duff and just choose a winter plan to keep me occupied.   

2013-12-10 12:41 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hi Manatees!

Sorry I've been MIA for the past while - a combo of crazy busy at work (and only slightly better this week) and I can't find my mojo anywhere.  

I've looked everywhere I can think of - the apartment, in cupboards, drawers, in the closet, under the bed, at work, at the gym... and it's just not anywhere to be found at the moment.  I'm still doing "stuff" and getting off my butt, however, it just feels like I'm going through the motions.  I know I work best when I have a plan and a schedule to follow so I just feel like I'm floundering at the moment.  

I guess I should get off my (expanding) duff and just choose a winter plan to keep me occupied.   

Seems we're all a bit MIA these days.

Maybe your mojo is buried under a snow bank somewhere!

I like your idea of finding a plan. I am really enjoying the winter maintenance plan I'm on. I've missed some of the S/B but have been good about keeping up with the R. Of course, now that I've spent $80 on a swim clinic I'll probably be more motivated to get my S done too

2013-12-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Hi Manatees!

I like your idea of finding a plan. I am really enjoying the winter maintenance plan I'm on. I've missed some of the S/B but have been good about keeping up with the R. Of course, now that I've spent $80 on a swim clinic I'll probably be more motivated to get my S done too

I think that TJ hit the nail on the head.  The key to motivation often involves spending money -- signing up for a race or a clinic or something.  Which brings me back to my first thought when I read your post -- I thought that you said something about the Austin HM in Februaryhttp://www.timeanddate.com informs me that you have 67 days to get ready so sign up already!

Edit: formatting!

Edited by jmkizer 2013-12-10 12:47 PM
2013-12-10 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hi Manatees!

I am very familiar with lost mojo syndrome. Perhaps remembering you have a 14 mile race next month will help you find it. Or, just goof off for awhile. There's nothing wrong with backing off things for a bit and recharging. However, if you chose the goofing off route you are still responsible for posting the Monday and Friday memes. It's a rule.
2013-12-10 2:30 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by rrrunner

Hi Manatees!

I think that TJ hit the nail on the head.  The key to motivation often involves spending money -- signing up for a race or a clinic or something.  Which brings me back to my first thought when I read your post -- I thought that you said something about the Austin HM in Februaryhttp://www.timeanddate.com informs me that you have 67 days to get ready so sign up already!

Edit: formatting!

I've got the Polar Dash HM on January 11th (but who knows if that will go ahead or not with the crazy COLD weather that's been going on) as well as the Get Lucky HM on March 15th... but those are the only 2 races that I've signed up for at this time.  As much as I'd LOVE to head to Austin in February, I just don't see it in the financial cards.  Boo.  

I'm going to go look at plans now - I think it's time to get things started!!  

2013-12-10 2:32 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Hi Manatees!

I am very familiar with lost mojo syndrome. Perhaps remembering you have a 14 mile race next month will help you find it. Or, just goof off for awhile. There's nothing wrong with backing off things for a bit and recharging. However, if you chose the goofing off route you are still responsible for posting the Monday and Friday memes. It's a rule.

Yeaaaaahhhh - realizing that I've got a HM in a month has scared me just a tad.  Not enough to make me want to get outside and run with the possibility of becoming a human popsicle, but enough to get me on the dreadmill and see how badly my run fitness has declined.  It ain't pretty!!  

I'm following the meme rules!!  I even went back and put up a Monday meme just for you last week!  (though it was SOOOO appropriate for how my Monday was going

2013-12-10 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hi Manatees!

Yeaaaaahhhh - realizing that I've got a HM in a month has scared me just a tad.  Not enough to make me want to get outside and run with the possibility of becoming a human popsicle, but enough to get me on the dreadmill and see how badly my run fitness has declined.  It ain't pretty!!  

I'm following the meme rules!!  I even went back and put up a Monday meme just for you last week!  (though it was SOOOO appropriate for how my Monday was going

I did appreciate your getting that Monday meme up ( which I loved) even though you were sick. And am glad to hear you intend to stick to the meme rules. Not following the rules just leads to chaos, anarchy and other bad thingsOn another note, I guess I shouldn't mention that we've had like a week of 85*+ weather
2013-12-10 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Ok, so either Monica takes back some of her freezing weather or Ann-Marie sends me some FL heat! I wore long sleeves, pants AND a beanie for my run this morning. WHAAAAT? Of course sleeves and beanie stripped off by 2mi, but still...
2013-12-10 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hi Manatees!

I did appreciate your getting that Monday meme up ( which I loved) even though you were sick. And am glad to hear you intend to stick to the meme rules. Not following the rules just leads to chaos, anarchy and other bad thingsOn another note, I guess I shouldn't mention that we've had like a week of 85*+ weather

Yeah, I rode the bike home today and I sweat a lot. But, I DID NOT complain about it.

2013-12-10 5:13 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Ok, so either Monica takes back some of her freezing weather or Ann-Marie sends me some FL heat! I wore long sleeves, pants AND a beanie for my run this morning. WHAAAAT? Of course sleeves and beanie stripped off by 2mi, but still...

i just got in from walking the dog.  i wore shorts and a sleeveless top.  We are getting a cold front through here tomorrow.  I think the high will drop to the low 70s.  I will have to wear a sleeved shirt then

2013-12-10 6:35 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Ok, so either Monica takes back some of her freezing weather or Ann-Marie sends me some FL heat! I wore long sleeves, pants AND a beanie for my run this morning. WHAAAAT? Of course sleeves and beanie stripped off by 2mi, but still...

i just got in from walking the dog.  i wore shorts and a sleeveless top.  We are getting a cold front through here tomorrow.  I think the high will drop to the low 70s.  I will have to wear a sleeved shirt then

Well, we all decided last night on FB that we were going to visit you since you have the warmth.  Be prepared for the Manatee invasion!

2013-12-11 3:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Well, we all decided last night on FB that we were going to visit you since you have the warmth.  Be prepared for the Manatee invasion!

I up for visitors too. We will hit a string of days of 100+ starting tomorrow just in time for my sprint on Sunday which I really can't be bothered with. I think my mojo has run off with Monica's somewhere. The problem is its summer here and smack in the middle of racing season but even that can't get me out of bed lately.

It's been mega busy at work and I must say that I am sick of school graduations and prize nights, thankfully only 2 to go. I need everything else in the world to stop for a couple of days, we'll at the very least peoples ability to send me emails that require me to do more work before Christmas.
2013-12-11 4:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Who are these Facebook manatees?! Doesn't matter, everyone should come on down! It's funny though, no one threatens to visit anytime from about may through September . I guess our miserably hot And humid weather is not so appealing then!
2013-12-11 4:53 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyK

I up for visitors too. We will hit a string of days of 100+ starting tomorrow just in time for my sprint on Sunday which I really can't be bothered with. I think my mojo has run off with Monica's somewhere. The problem is its summer here and smack in the middle of racing season but even that can't get me out of bed lately.It's been mega busy at work and I must say that I am sick of school graduations and prize nights, thankfully only 2 to go. I need everything else in the world to stop for a couple of days, we'll at the very least peoples ability to send me emails that require me to do more work before Christmas.
Sorry things have been so crappy for you. Maybe your computer could mysteriously crash for a few days
2013-12-11 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Oh my Lord, who on this planet came up with the idea to teach primary school students to play the recorder and then thought this isn't bad enough lets put a group of them together, not bother tuning them, and then let them all play at the same time. I think my ears are bleeding!

Maybe they could introduce this as a way to get confessions from people. Tell them that the "music" won't stop until they confess. It wouldn't take long!
2013-12-11 9:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Who are these Facebook manatees?! Doesn't matter, everyone should come on down! It's funny though, no one threatens to visit anytime from about may through September . I guess our miserably hot And humid weather is not so appealing then!

You and Chris have the better weather, IMO.  It was 16*F when I got up this am and the 4-5" of snow from yesterday is of course still hanging around and will be all week, it's supposed to stay pretty cold, more snow coming Friday!

I am tentatively coming to FL in April, flying into Orlando (probably) and then heading to hang with my Dad in Lakeland for a few days before we (my sister and I) drive him home.  I'm very seriously considering doing Lucky's Lake swim while I am there if anyone wants to join me!

2013-12-11 9:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh my Lord, who on this planet came up with the idea to teach primary school students to play the recorder and then thought this isn't bad enough lets put a group of them together, not bother tuning them, and then let them all play at the same time. I think my ears are bleeding! Maybe they could introduce this as a way to get confessions from people. Tell them that the "music" won't stop until they confess. It wouldn't take long!

Ahhh, poor Stacey!!  Can you secretly wear earplugs?  I'm chuckling as I think back to those grade school recorder concerts and such.

2013-12-11 10:10 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh my Lord, who on this planet came up with the idea to teach primary school students to play the recorder and then thought this isn't bad enough lets put a group of them together, not bother tuning them, and then let them all play at the same time. I think my ears are bleeding! Maybe they could introduce this as a way to get confessions from people. Tell them that the "music" won't stop until they confess. It wouldn't take long!

Ahhh, poor Stacey!!  Can you secretly wear earplugs?  I'm chuckling as I think back to those grade school recorder concerts and such.

I would rather hear the recorders than the beginning violins!! (sorry it's true--though beginning anything in elementary school is hard to listen to!)

2013-12-11 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

I would rather hear the recorders than the beginning violins!! (sorry it's true--though beginning anything in elementary school is hard to listen to!)

OMG - I totally remember learning to play the recorder and having to play "Ode to Joy" on the thing... that poor teacher.  

I am one of those people that is truly unfortunate when it comes to anything to do with music... I got kicked out of band in grade 6, told to go to choir for the rest of the term where I was promptly told that it would be okay if I stood in the back and hummed.  Fast forward and I still get shooshed if I attempt to sing anywhere but in the shower or in a car by myself with the windows rolled all the way up.  

2013-12-11 10:47 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hi Manatees!  Sorry I've been MIA for awhile.  I've been really busy.  My new job started on Monday; it's going well so far.  Lots of training for patient data.

E's 2nd birthday is today! Hard to believe she is already two. 

2013-12-11 11:35 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Artemis

Hi Manatees!  Sorry I've been MIA for awhile.  I've been really busy.  My new job started on Monday; it's going well so far.  Lots of training for patient data.

Sorry you're MIA but 'cited for your new job and E's birthday. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

2013-12-11 11:48 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Just a little update from my end. 

We leave for Bend tomorrow for Nats. There is enough variance in the weather report that I have to bring a lot of stuff. It *could* be snowing and 20 degrees, or it *could* be raining and 38 degrees. I don't have a huge preference I guess, so long as it's not windy! 

The course was described as this, "King has been carving out this year's national championship course at River's Edge Golf Course — the past few weekends he literally has been trailblazing, clearing sagebrush and making trails between fairways — and runners will have plenty of short uphills, some hillside scrambles and maybe even a hay bale or two to clear. King's course is a 2,000-meter loop on which competitors will run a number of circuits, depending on their racing division.

“A lot of people will be yelling at me in December,” jokes King, who was an All-America cross-country runner at Cornell University."

We had an ehhh - unexpected tune up last night that I was ill-prepared for. The workout was a hilly 1 x 13' course simulation @ 6:05 pace. I had to do it in sweatpants and dress socks. So, I guess that means I'm ready!

2013-12-11 11:55 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

We leave for Bend tomorrow for Nats. There is enough variance in the weather report that I have to bring a lot of stuff. It *could* be snowing and 20 degrees, or it *could* be raining and 38 degrees. I don't have a huge preference I guess, so long as it's not windy! 

The course was described as this, "King has been carving out this year's national championship course at River's Edge Golf Course — the past few weekends he literally has been trailblazing, clearing sagebrush and making trails between fairways — and runners will have plenty of short uphills, some hillside scrambles and maybe even a hay bale or two to clear. King's course is a 2,000-meter loop on which competitors will run a number of circuits, depending on their racing division.

“A lot of people will be yelling at me in December,” jokes King, who was an All-America cross-country runner at Cornell University."

We had an ehhh - unexpected tune up last night that I was ill-prepared for. The workout was a hilly 1 x 13' course simulation @ 6:05 pace. I had to do it in sweatpants and dress socks. So, I guess that means I'm ready!

So exciting!!!!

I'm sure you'll get the clothing figured out and I hope it's not windy.

Can't wait to hear about nationals!!!!!!!!!

2013-12-11 12:12 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master

Originally posted by Artemis

Yay for new jobs and second birthdays!

2013-12-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Did you have shoes?  

So excited for you for your race AND for us to hear about it.  Best of luck and rub some shoulders!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.