BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-14 2:05 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by Atlantia Yesterday was my final swim class, and here's how it shakes down: Started with my 100 free hovering in the 2:25 range, open turns only, backstroke literally moved me backwards in the water, and I had no idea how to butterfly. 10 sessions later, and I can get a 100 free in at 1:46, and can do 100 repeats in the 1:50s, give or take 1 second. I can do front and back flipturns, and they're usually successful. Breaststroke is still tiring, but it also looks good, and I did 5x100 repeats in class yesterday. And while butterfly will always be a work in progress, yesterday I actually swam 2 25s of real live fly. Such fun! I still feel like my freestyle is quite slow, but I will keep working on it over the winter. I can't wait to actually use my swimming in a race come spring! Edited, because my starting 100 was closer to 2:25 than 2:00, if my logs are right!!

That's great!  No doubt the improvements will continue.

2015-12-14 2:05 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jmkizer

Disabled List
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, less than two more weeks of the boot???

Going in for an x-ray this afternoon, fingers crossed! It has been 9 weeks and 1 day.
I also had unrelated minor surgery on Friday - I'm ready to be DONE with doctors for awhile!

Fingers crossed for ya, good luck!

2015-12-14 3:38 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Atlantia

Yesterday was my final swim class, and here's how it shakes down:

Started with my 100 free hovering in the 2:25 range, open turns only, backstroke literally moved me backwards in the water, and I had no idea how to butterfly.

10 sessions later, and I can get a 100 free in at 1:46, and can do 100 repeats in the 1:50s, give or take 1 second. I can do front and back flipturns, and they're usually successful. Breaststroke is still tiring, but it also looks good, and I did 5x100 repeats in class yesterday. And while butterfly will always be a work in progress, yesterday I actually swam 2 25s of real live fly. Such fun!

I still feel like my freestyle is quite slow, but I will keep working on it over the winter. I can't wait to actually use my swimming in a race come spring!

Edited, because my starting 100 was closer to 2:25 than 2:00, if my logs are right!!

That's awesome, congrats!!!!!
2015-12-14 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Atlantia

Yesterday was my final swim class, and here's how it shakes down:

Started with my 100 free hovering in the 2:25 range, open turns only, backstroke literally moved me backwards in the water, and I had no idea how to butterfly.

10 sessions later, and I can get a 100 free in at 1:46, and can do 100 repeats in the 1:50s, give or take 1 second. I can do front and back flipturns, and they're usually successful. Breaststroke is still tiring, but it also looks good, and I did 5x100 repeats in class yesterday. And while butterfly will always be a work in progress, yesterday I actually swam 2 25s of real live fly. Such fun!

I still feel like my freestyle is quite slow, but I will keep working on it over the winter. I can't wait to actually use my swimming in a race come spring!

Edited, because my starting 100 was closer to 2:25 than 2:00, if my logs are right!!
Thats great Laura. You can swim faster than me! Anything better than 2:00 for 100m free is fast in my book.
2015-12-15 9:44 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

The Denver area was supposed to receive 3-5 inches of snow over night so I went to bed last night wondering how I was going to work all day, have our band concert tonight, and then a 90 min bike followed by a 20 otb run. Got up this morning and while I was in the shower DH came in and told me that we have a snow day!!! Somehow the 3-5" has become 5-10", which still isn't always enough for a snow day but it's really windy. With blowing snow they can't keep roads clear enough for safe travel.

Randee - we will be in the mid-50s on Saturday again.
Lisa- Hoping you got good news!
Chris - Did you have a Mickey Bar for me?

2015-12-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by fortissimo The Denver area was supposed to receive 3-5 inches of snow over night so I went to bed last night wondering how I was going to work all day, have our band concert tonight, and then a 90 min bike followed by a 20 otb run. Got up this morning and while I was in the shower DH came in and told me that we have a snow day!!! Somehow the 3-5" has become 5-10", which still isn't always enough for a snow day but it's really windy. With blowing snow they can't keep roads clear enough for safe travel. Randee - we will be in the mid-50s on Saturday again. Lisa- Hoping you got good news! Chris - Did you have a Mickey Bar for me?

Yay snow day!

Santa Fe was delayed an hour for an amount of snow that in Denver wouldn't even be measurable.

2015-12-15 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by fortissimo

The Denver area was supposed to receive 3-5 inches of snow over night so I went to bed last night wondering how I was going to work all day, have our band concert tonight, and then a 90 min bike followed by a 20 otb run. Got up this morning and while I was in the shower DH came in and told me that we have a snow day!!! Somehow the 3-5" has become 5-10", which still isn't always enough for a snow day but it's really windy. With blowing snow they can't keep roads clear enough for safe travel.

Snow Day for the WIN!!

Meanwhile I'm wondering where winter is....second day in a row in short sleeves. Shorts and a tshirt for this morning's run, but the sun still goes down before 5? This is not merry.
2015-12-15 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo The Denver area was supposed to receive 3-5 inches of snow over night so I went to bed last night wondering how I was going to work all day, have our band concert tonight, and then a 90 min bike followed by a 20 otb run. Got up this morning and while I was in the shower DH came in and told me that we have a snow day!!! Somehow the 3-5" has become 5-10", which still isn't always enough for a snow day but it's really windy. With blowing snow they can't keep roads clear enough for safe travel. Randee - we will be in the mid-50s on Saturday again. Lisa- Hoping you got good news! Chris - Did you have a Mickey Bar for me?

What is this snow day of which you speak?

2015-12-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Snow - It is a solid form of rain. The reason I moved back to Florida. I may have overcompensated 

2015-12-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Snow - It is a solid form of rain. The reason I moved back to Florida. I may have overcompensated 

I think DS2 will have to  come to NM to see snow. Odd, very odd.

2015-12-15 3:02 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by fortissimo

I ran in shorts this am at 5:30! on the one hand it's nice to have less laundry on the other hand IT'S DECEMBER! LOL

Keystone resort is reporting on their FB Page that this is the most early season snow in 10 years. Meanwhile this is us "skiing" in Southern VT this weekend.

(12341415_10207275335195282_726222327287274787_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
12341415_10207275335195282_726222327287274787_n.jpg (131KB - 9 downloads)

2015-12-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
I ran in shorts this am at 5:30! on the one hand it's nice to have less laundry on the other hand IT'S DECEMBER! LOL Keystone resort is reporting on their FB Page that this is the most early season snow in 10 years. Meanwhile this is us "skiing" in Southern VT this weekend.

Crazy, but it might be true here too. That storm a few weeks ago dropped ~14" on us, but still have green grass everywhere.

2015-12-16 5:58 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not actual snow (high was in the mid-90's today) but funny....I found Christmas cards locally that show snow falling on several classic Saigon landmarks (church, post office, City Hall). Cold Day in He.... = Snow Day in Saigon???

We actually had a "typhoon day" once, and a political crisis day, but never a snow day.
2015-12-16 10:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I was given the green light to start weight-bearing as pain allows - woohoo! Still have to wear the big ol' boot for 2 more weeks but then I can graduate to an ankle brace. I'm very unsteady on my feet so I'm opting for one crutch - and I need to wear a heeled shoe on my good foot to compensate for the lift the boot has. There's some "iffy" pain but I think it's my limited range of motion from not walking for 9+ weeks.

I was also given the green light to start stationary biking and swimming - woohoo! I'm a bit apprehensive about biking but I think if I kept things at a super light tension I could do a bit of spinning on the trainer. Looking forward to getting my heart rate up again.

Edited by lisac957 2015-12-16 10:06 AM
2015-12-16 10:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not actual snow (high was in the mid-90's today) but funny....I found Christmas cards locally that show snow falling on several classic Saigon landmarks (church, post office, City Hall). Cold Day in He.... = Snow Day in Saigon??? We actually had a "typhoon day" once, and a political crisis day, but never a snow day.

The snow cards made me chuckle.  Your "political crisis day" reminded me of a guy I worked with in Omaha. He once actually said (out loud) that he wished one of the former POTUS would die so we'd get a day off.

2015-12-16 10:10 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I was given the green light to start weight-bearing as pain allows - woohoo! Still have to wear the big ol' boot for 2 more weeks but then I can graduate to an ankle brace. I'm very unsteady on my feet so I'm opting for one crutch - and I need to wear a heeled shoe on my good foot to compensate for the lift the boot has. There's some "iffy" pain but I think it's my limited range of motion from not walking for 9+ weeks.

I was also given the green light to start stationary biking and swimming - woohoo! I'm a bit apprehensive about biking but I think if I kept things at a super light tension I could do a bit of spinning on the trainer. Looking forward to getting my heart rate up again.

PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015-12-16 10:18 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Progress indeed, woohoo!!!! Keep moving forward, even if it is a little bit at a time.

2015-12-16 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I may be circling back around to an earlier discussion, but I have been working through some social media stuff, both personal and for my church lately and it really struck me that there are a lot of options and ideas on how best to use that stuff.  I use FB, Twitter, Instagram, and I'll include Strava, since it sort of fits. I use each a bit differently, FB for more personal friends and family stuff, Twitter for company, education, news, etc and Strava is just workout sharing. And Instagram is kind of used intermittantly with any/all 3.

So, how is everyone using theirs? I know I've tried Hootsuite and Buffer to pull things together in a collective dashboard, but I haven't quite figured that whole mess out either and I'm not sure I ever will. Is anyone using any tools to make it a bit easier to handle?  And does anyone have anyone in particular that they would suggest following?

2015-12-16 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I may be circling back around to an earlier discussion, but I have been working through some social media stuff, both personal and for my church lately and it really struck me that there are a lot of options and ideas on how best to use that stuff.  I use FB, Twitter, Instagram, and I'll include Strava, since it sort of fits. I use each a bit differently, FB for more personal friends and family stuff, Twitter for company, education, news, etc and Strava is just workout sharing. And Instagram is kind of used intermittantly with any/all 3.

So, how is everyone using theirs? I know I've tried Hootsuite and Buffer to pull things together in a collective dashboard, but I haven't quite figured that whole mess out either and I'm not sure I ever will. Is anyone using any tools to make it a bit easier to handle?  And does anyone have anyone in particular that they would suggest following?

Twitter = this is what I read/this is what I'm thinking
Instagram = this is what I see/this is what's going on
Facebook = these are my photo albums/this is where my family over 60 finds me
LinkedIn = this is professional me/omg I need work - I better update this thing!

When I was doing social media marketing professionally, I used Hootsuite and bundled everything together, but that was quite a few years ago. I feel like it used to be more prevalent to have a single brand message and push it out across all the platforms. Now that I'm out of that business, I don't know how it is handled now. But personally, I find that the different platforms have their own personalities, and I use them for different things, as shown above. I don't think there's really a right way, and the best advice is use the ones you like, and don't sweat the rest.
2015-12-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

I have a twitter account but have never sent a tweet.  I occasionally remember to look at others' twitter accounts.

I do not have, nor have I ever looked at Instagram.  I don't know that there's any particular reason other than I just don't do it.

I use FB mainly because my running group communicates a lot through it.  Before that, although I had an account I could go months and months without even remembering it existed.  Now I look at it all the time, I post on occasion, mainly responding to someone and once in a very great while post something original. I have changed my profile pic a few times though  Most of my family is not on FB either.

I use strava to upload my workouts and check out all the manatees' awesomeness!

I have a LinkdIn account that I never use.

Hmmm, I think I see a pattern 

Edited by amd723 2015-12-16 12:49 PM
2015-12-16 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Facebook - stay up with family and friends and get irritated at all of the political chit (on both sides). I don't post often but am hoping to use it (and IG) to grow Team RWB - Albuquerque

Twitter - don't even check it often

IG - don't post often but love stalking what others are doing

Strava - see and be seen

Don't post enough to try to intigrate them and probably couldn't figure it out if I wanted to

2015-12-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I’m finally able to come up for air for a few minutes.  Last week was a conference and this week calls and calls and calls.

Kirsten and Karen - Happy marking…  Or something like that.

Stacey - ouch! I hope that the jellyfish stings are healing up nicely.  Other than that, how was the race?

Melanie - The Widows won! Woo hoo!

Chris - I’m glad that you had an enjoyable getaway.

Laura - You’re a fishy fish! You are faster than me in already!  I learned to swim when I was about 40 and while I feel confident in the water, fast I am not.

Ben - I hope that PT is less painful this week :-/

Robin - I hope that you had the most of your snow day ;-)

Regarding where is winter?  Two or three years ago we had very very mild weather in December and we paid for every degree of December warmth in February. Meanwhile, I’ve been running in shorts and t-shirts.

Lisa - Congratulations on the beginning of weight bearing! PROGRESS!  With any luck at all, the boot will be history by the new year!  Oh, and stationary bike and swim too!  Nice!  With my shoulder injury, I found that spin bikes were easier to get on/off than a trainer but I ended up using the trainer more because I could schedule it more easily.  Plus I really didn’t want to be in class.

Chris - I use Facebook somewhat reluctantly.  Mostly photos and stuff like my tri club.  I really don’t like group discussion in FB because there is just so much cr*p to wade through.  I also use Instagram, Twitter and Strava.

2015-12-16 2:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

I just stick with FB. I don't want to move between eighteen hundred specialized sites. I can navigate all the sites just fine, just gets tedious checking so many things.

2015-12-16 2:43 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by brigby1

I just stick with FB. I don't want to move between eighteen hundred specialized sites. I can navigate all the sites just fine, just gets tedious checking so many things.

I am with you. I don't even have Linked In even though i know i should. I opened a Tumblr but don't use it. 

I get why Twitter is great i just hate reading all the @@@@'s and # - i find it hard to read and enjoy so i don't use it. 

2015-12-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

I’m finally able to come up for air for a few minutes.  Last week was a conference and this week calls and calls and calls.

Kirsten and Karen - Happy marking…  Or something like that.

Stacey - ouch! I hope that the jellyfish stings are healing up nicely.  Other than that, how was the race?

Melanie - The Widows won! Woo hoo!

Chris - I’m glad that you had an enjoyable getaway.

Laura - You’re a fishy fish! You are faster than me in already!  I learned to swim when I was about 40 and while I feel confident in the water, fast I am not.

Ben - I hope that PT is less painful this week :-/

Robin - I hope that you had the most of your snow day ;-)

Regarding where is winter?  Two or three years ago we had very very mild weather in December and we paid for every degree of December warmth in February. Meanwhile, I’ve been running in shorts and t-shirts.

Lisa - Congratulations on the beginning of weight bearing! PROGRESS!  With any luck at all, the boot will be history by the new year!  Oh, and stationary bike and swim too!  Nice!  With my shoulder injury, I found that spin bikes were easier to get on/off than a trainer but I ended up using the trainer more because I could schedule it more easily.  Plus I really didn’t want to be in class.

Chris - I use Facebook somewhat reluctantly.  Mostly photos and stuff like my tri club.  I really don’t like group discussion in FB because there is just so much cr*p to wade through.  I also use Instagram, Twitter and Strava.

Great summary, Janyne.  I'm still not using the computer much so I'm yet again way behind on the Manatee news.  I'm going to be lazy and just say x2 on all the well wishes and congrats. As for winter, I'm in the same boat as Robin, being in the same area.  I was supposed to run 3 mi. yesterday.  Didn't happen.  There was no way I was going to go outside and running 24 laps on the 200 m track at the rec center really didn't appeal.  Luckily, DH didn't get home with the car until 5:30 and the rec center closed at 6 due to the weather.  Whew.  Going to do a bit of a trainer ride today and walk the dogs to get my lazy azz off the couch.  Looks like I may be going back to work next week and I'll admit, I'm not really looking forward to it. On the other hand, I'll hopefully be able to check in here more often since I'll be on the computer most of the day.  That rates a for sure!!

Chris, since I've been off work, I really haven't been on any social media much because of the computer use issues. I'm only on FB for my tri club and RWB these days via my phone.  I'll occasionally look at the "news feed" but only stalk and "like" other people's posts.  I only look at Manatee photos on IG and have a linked-in account but it's totally out of date and I never use it. Strava - just for fun, really.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54762 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67326 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28358 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11958 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66819 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.