BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-21 12:41 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Very exciting news, I met with the owners of the brewery last night and we stuck a deal on my "Beer Ambassadorship." Or whatever you would like to call it.

Finally, I get to combine beer and running, officially. Next step: take over the world. 

Sweet!!  You'll give new meaning to the term Brew Master once you take over the world, as well as when you retire.  In the meantime, you can just settle for "Brew Elite."  

2015-01-21 12:42 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Did anyone read this? http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/30896014

Pretty awesome to stay with the elites through age 41.  Still hard for me not to see her as elite, even is she's not so named for the race - I think once you set a world record, you kind of own that title!

Glad that she's continuing to mentor and develop others in the sport (and compete in a way that makes sense for her).  Good stuff...

Matt

That was my thought too.  She still has so much to give to the sport even if she's no longer setting records as a pro.  What an honor it would be to be mentored by someone of her caliber!

2015-01-21 12:45 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Can all you people who know anything about bikes give me your thoughts on this. I have been thinking about a new bike for at least 6 months. My current bike is a poverty pack special, think sora components and buying before you know anything. It is also uncomfortable as it is too short in the top tube for me, it is a small and really I need a medium. I had decided that I will wait until late this year and buy myself this for my birthday before next summer http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-bikes/liv/wa/cannington/envie... But I can't sleep tonight so I have been internet browsing (dangerous I know) and I came across this. They have been advertising it for a few weeks so I am thinking that I might be able to negotiate on the price a bit. http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-bikes/giant/wa/cottesloe/envi... To me with my very limited knowledge it looks like the specs on the 2015 have been upgraded a bit but I could be wrong about this so please feel free to point out to me if I am. I like giant bikes from experience they are solid and you seem to get better componentry for your $$$ at least here in Australia. No doubt the 2015 model of this bike is 1/2 the price for you over there. At this point I don't really see myself doing more than Olys (I know never say never) so I don't really feel like I can justify spending more than about $2,500 on a bike. What do you think? Is the 2015 bike so much better that I should just wait (I can) and get that before the start of next season? Or should I save some $$$ and go with the 2014? What do you think is a reasonable price for the 2014 bike - 50% off original retail?

I am not a bike person, so you should probably wait until Janyne, Ben, Chris etc chime in, but I think I'd go for the 2014 as those are very good components and I don't know that the 2015 offers that much more.  But again, wait for those who actually know what they're talking about

2015-01-21 1:16 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Very exciting news, I met with the owners of the brewery last night and we stuck a deal on my "Beer Ambassadorship." Or whatever you would like to call it.

Finally, I get to combine beer and running, officially. Next step: take over the world. 

2015-01-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK Can all you people who know anything about bikes give me your thoughts on this. I have been thinking about a new bike for at least 6 months. My current bike is a poverty pack special, think sora components and buying before you know anything. It is also uncomfortable as it is too short in the top tube for me, it is a small and really I need a medium. I had decided that I will wait until late this year and buy myself this for my birthday before next summer http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-bikes/liv/wa/cannington/envie... But I can't sleep tonight so I have been internet browsing (dangerous I know) and I came across this. They have been advertising it for a few weeks so I am thinking that I might be able to negotiate on the price a bit. http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-bikes/giant/wa/cottesloe/envi... To me with my very limited knowledge it looks like the specs on the 2015 have been upgraded a bit but I could be wrong about this so please feel free to point out to me if I am. I like giant bikes from experience they are solid and you seem to get better componentry for your $$$ at least here in Australia. No doubt the 2015 model of this bike is 1/2 the price for you over there. At this point I don't really see myself doing more than Olys (I know never say never) so I don't really feel like I can justify spending more than about $2,500 on a bike. What do you think? Is the 2015 bike so much better that I should just wait (I can) and get that before the start of next season? Or should I save some $$$ and go with the 2014? What do you think is a reasonable price for the 2014 bike - 50% off original retail?

I am not a bike person, so you should probably wait until Janyne, Ben, Chris etc chime in, but I think I'd go for the 2014 as those are very good components and I don't know that the 2015 offers that much more.  But again, wait for those who actually know what they're talking about

I know less than nothing about components etc.  I am learning, but really know nothing.  All I have to say is that it is pretty.  

When I bought my most recent bike, the best advice I got was "Does it fit?" and "Do you like it?" and "Is it in your price range".  If you can say yes to all those questions you are likely to ride it a lot, so it is a good purchase.    

Edited by IronOx 2015-01-21 1:24 PM
2015-01-21 1:32 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

I know less than nothing about components etc.  I am learning, but really know nothing.  All I have to say is that it is pretty.  

When I bought my most recent bike, the best advice I got was "Does it fit?" and "Do you like it?" and "Is it in your price range".  If you can say yes to all those questions you are likely to ride it a lot, so it is a good purchase.    

Both are Shimano 105.  One is 11 speed and one is 10 speed.  Not a deal breaker.  It's nice that they both have the whole set -- shifters, cassette, etc.

Both are composite and have composite forks.

Looks like the same wheels.

That leaves us with the Does it fit and Do you like it questions ;-

2015-01-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I'm jealous, congrats!

Not sure, but I think if I became a "Beer Ambassador" in any official capacity, I would be in deep kimchi!

Congrats and sounds awesome!

2015-01-21 2:09 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by IronOx

Both are Shimano 105.  One is 11 speed and one is 10 speed.  Not a deal breaker.  It's nice that they both have the whole set -- shifters, cassette, etc.

Both are composite and have composite forks.

Looks like the same wheels.

That leaves us with the Does it fit and Do you like it questions ;-

At the risk of piling on...

Well said, both.  As componentry and differences were well covered (pretty similar), I think that (as long as it fits) the psychology is waaaay more important.  If you can afford it and WANT it, your riding will likely benefit greatly!

I went a long time - years - without riding much at all until a colleague hectored me into test riding a new fangled bike a couple years ago (carbon, no down-tube shifters - what most of the world had had for years, but very different from 1990 steel Miyata!).  Long story short, I bought it and enjoyed the heck out of it.  So much so that I started back doing tri's after like 20 years away from the sport.

Then I bought a used tri bike - but one that fit well and I reeeeeeaaaaally liked (an old P2) - and liked riding IT so much I started going longer and longer.

So, get one that fits and you love and you might end up going well beyond Oly's - or at least enjoying the ride a whole lot more. 

(It's so exciting to vicariously experience that new bike tingly feeling!  DOOO EEEEEEET!!!)

Matt

2015-01-21 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Stacey - I read your question this morning and haven't had an opportunity to put together a reasonable answer. Then Janyne, Kirsten, Anne-Marie and Matt chimed in with what is generally the #1 reason for buying a bike, "Do you like it?" I would say that the bikes are nearly the same, given the components. The 2015 has an 11 speed cassette, the other a 10 speed. Not a game changer for me, but if you are rolling through some seriously changing terrain, it might matter. Then again, if the terrain is that difficult, you may end up with a different cassette all together. Both are in new condition. I see no big differences between the 2, other than $300. Oh yeah, I think the sizing was different, one was a "M" and the other came in "S" and "XS". That matters as well. Probably more than a lot of stuff, fit matters. Quite honestly, comfort equals speed. Because if you are comfortable, you ride more. If you ride more, you get faster.  

I'm uncertain what the cost difference should be between last year's model and this year's, but it probably isn't much. At least that has been my experience.  If they are local, get them to throw in a fit ortalk em down on the price. Anything on the showroom floor that isn't moving is costing the store money. Also, you mentioned waiting until year end, but you probably won't be riding much while you wait.

Getting new gear is cool!!!! Have fun with the process.

2015-01-21 5:35 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

It's funny...I know lots of the basic mechanical stuff about bikes (how to take things apart, put them together etc) but when it comes to bikes, in general. I don't know sh*t.

Nice work team, jumpin' in and educating. 

2015-01-21 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Thanks for your help guys.

I wasn't sure if the 10 speed v 11 speed was a big deal. We live in the hills, but to be honest most of my riding is on the trainer at the moment because there has been a number of cyclist v car incidents hear over the recent months which have resulted in at least 3 deaths and a number of other very serious injuries so Phil has confined me to the trainer or the bike paths.

I have definitely learnt the lesson of making sure the bike is comfortable before I buy it, that's the only reason I'm looking at a new bike, my current on is defiantly not warn out.

Just to clarify the 2015 comes in a medium too, just not on the link I sent through.

2015-01-21 6:04 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for your help guys. I wasn't sure if the 10 speed v 11 speed was a big deal. We live in the hills, but to be honest most of my riding is on the trainer at the moment because there has been a number of cyclist v car incidents hear over the recent months which have resulted in at least 3 deaths and a number of other very serious injuries so Phil has confined me to the trainer or the bike paths. I have definitely learnt the lesson of making sure the bike is comfortable before I buy it, that's the only reason I'm looking at a new bike, my current on is defiantly not warn out. Just to clarify the 2015 comes in a medium too, just not on the link I sent through.

From what I have read, the difference in the 11 and 10 speed cassette will probably be around "3rd" or "4th" gear, with the 22 tooth cog on the 10 speed being replaced by a 21 AND a 23 on the 11 speed. It could be elsewhere on the cassette or some other number of cogs, but you get the idea I hope. For me, there is "no" need for it, since my riding is all flat, with little shifting.  Were I riding a lot of hills or windy areas, I might want it.  

Then again, I'm rolling on a 9 speed cassette, so what do I know?

Cool deal on the sizing, I hope that you find one that makes you happy to ride!

2015-01-21 6:22 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm missing something here.  What is this brewery you speak of?

2015-01-21 6:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

I'm missing something here.  What is this brewery you speak of?

Stoup. It's in Ballard. My favorite. 

I'm going to organize a bi-monthly run for them and have their logo on my singlet. They are going to give me beer. A match made in heaven

http://www.stoupbrewing.com/

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-21 6:45 PM
2015-01-21 6:51 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by StaceyK Thanks for your help guys. I wasn't sure if the 10 speed v 11 speed was a big deal. We live in the hills, but to be honest most of my riding is on the trainer at the moment because there has been a number of cyclist v car incidents hear over the recent months which have resulted in at least 3 deaths and a number of other very serious injuries so Phil has confined me to the trainer or the bike paths. I have definitely learnt the lesson of making sure the bike is comfortable before I buy it, that's the only reason I'm looking at a new bike, my current on is defiantly not warn out. Just to clarify the 2015 comes in a medium too, just not on the link I sent through.

From what I have read, the difference in the 11 and 10 speed cassette will probably be around "3rd" or "4th" gear, with the 22 tooth cog on the 10 speed being replaced by a 21 AND a 23 on the 11 speed. It could be elsewhere on the cassette or some other number of cogs, but you get the idea I hope. For me, there is "no" need for it, since my riding is all flat, with little shifting.  Were I riding a lot of hills or windy areas, I might want it.  

Then again, I'm rolling on a 9 speed cassette, so what do I know?

Cool deal on the sizing, I hope that you find one that makes you happy to ride!

I didn't really have anything to add to what you guys already said. Can do ok there, but strength is more in working on the bike some and training & using the thing.

The extra gear is likely to go about where you said on most cassettes. The exact spot will depend on whether it's an 11-23 or 11-32, or something in between. I have an 11-21 for the trainer (all 10 spd) and it goes from 11-19 and 21. The 11-23 for racing goes 11-17, 19, 21, 23. This one would have a choice of putting in the 18 or adding on a 25. Most would be best off with the 25. The 11-28 goes 11-15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28. This one is likely to split the 22 into 21 & 23 as Chris said even though *my* preference would be to add in the 16. All of these additions trend towards the mid-lower end as the high end is already filled up and the gaps are bigger down low.

2015-01-21 6:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

It's funny...I know lots of the basic mechanical stuff about bikes (how to take things apart, put them together etc) but when it comes to bikes, in general. I don't know sh*t.

Nice work team, jumpin' in and educating. 

Yeah, I tend to get a bit stumped on questions for more relaxed or cruiser type bikes, or hybrid. Want to help, but tend to look back with this der Idunno expression as I really don't do anything with those types!

2015-01-21 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The bikes are specced so similarly that I would get the one that had the better color scheme or matched my kit better.

2015-01-21 8:07 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Did Rubber Glove tonight for curiosity sake, and my FTP went up 22 Watts.  While I'm happy to see a positive result, with the Tour of Sufferlandria starting Saturday I have a decision to make...

2015-01-21 8:14 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Ahhhh! Short word Short Word SHORT WORD!!!

Reason #23 for not multitasking the dinner table as a Desk/workstation. Gravity. I managed to "trip" over the LAN cable and pull our Laptop off the table and Gravity pulled it onto the floor. It looked bad for a moment but then realized everything is working except the hinge is a little out of wack. After saving and closing everything I take a look. Small bend to some plastic and a few popped out tabs from their slots.

A little work with a milti-tool and some duct tape and we are back in business (for now). It seems to be working but a full back up is now on the schedule of events for tomorrow and perhaps a bit of shopping as this lap top is plenty old at 7-8 years.

Any suggestions on what to look for? Our history is with Dell but we have started a slow migration over to Apple products.

2015-01-21 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by msteiner

Did Rubber Glove tonight for curiosity sake, and my FTP went up 22 Watts.  While I'm happy to see a positive result, with the Tour of Sufferlandria starting Saturday I have a decision to make...

Here is your straw. You know what to do.
2015-01-21 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

The bikes are specced so similarly that I would get the one that had the better color scheme or matched my kit better.

???? But then you have a harder time justifying new kit! I'm so confused.

2015-01-21 8:44 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tcarlson78

???? But then you have a harder time justifying new kit! I'm so confused.

Nope - that just becomes fuel for another bike.

Which you will, clearly, need to match said kit.

Matt

2015-01-21 8:49 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Ahhhh! Short word Short Word SHORT WORD!!! Reason #23 for not multitasking the dinner table as a Desk/workstation. Gravity. I managed to "trip" over the LAN cable and pull our Laptop off the table and Gravity pulled it onto the floor. It looked bad for a moment but then realized everything is working except the hinge is a little out of wack. After saving and closing everything I take a look. Small bend to some plastic and a few popped out tabs from their slots. A little work with a milti-tool and some duct tape and we are back in business (for now). It seems to be working but a full back up is now on the schedule of events for tomorrow and perhaps a bit of shopping as this lap top is plenty old at 7-8 years. Any suggestions on what to look for? Our history is with Dell but we have started a slow migration over to Apple products.

Just went from the little air-mac-book-thing to a surface 3.  Had it for about 3 months now.

Since making the migration back to the non-apple world after many years in Jobs-landia, I have not once opened my iPad nor felt like I needed a bigger computer.

Just went on a multi-day business trip - with a TON of presentations (over 35 meetings in 3 days) - and brought just the surface and an iPhone 6.  No iPad and no wifi puck.  Worked perfectly and a WHOLE lot fewer plugs and way less weight to lug around!

Only my recent experience, but I like this setup (although the mac air was/is a nice computer - we just use it at home now).

Matt

2015-01-21 10:51 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

I've been wanting one of those surface computers for a while now...pretty slick
2015-01-22 5:04 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Ahhhh! Short word Short Word SHORT WORD!!! Reason #23 for not multitasking the dinner table as a Desk/workstation. Gravity. I managed to "trip" over the LAN cable and pull our Laptop off the table and Gravity pulled it onto the floor. It looked bad for a moment but then realized everything is working except the hinge is a little out of wack. After saving and closing everything I take a look. Small bend to some plastic and a few popped out tabs from their slots. A little work with a milti-tool and some duct tape and we are back in business (for now). It seems to be working but a full back up is now on the schedule of events for tomorrow and perhaps a bit of shopping as this lap top is plenty old at 7-8 years. Any suggestions on what to look for? Our history is with Dell but we have started a slow migration over to Apple products.

Just went from the little air-mac-book-thing to a surface 3.  Had it for about 3 months now.

Since making the migration back to the non-apple world after many years in Jobs-landia, I have not once opened my iPad nor felt like I needed a bigger computer.

Just went on a multi-day business trip - with a TON of presentations (over 35 meetings in 3 days) - and brought just the surface and an iPhone 6.  No iPad and no wifi puck.  Worked perfectly and a WHOLE lot fewer plugs and way less weight to lug around!

Only my recent experience, but I like this setup (although the mac air was/is a nice computer - we just use it at home now).

Matt

When I bought my tablet (Galaxy Tab S), I seriously looked into the Surface 3. It's an awesome piece of technology, but holey moley the sticker shock!!! At the time (six months ago) it was $1299 WITHOUT the keyboard.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55463 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.