BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-18 9:53 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)
Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20
TJ - FAROLITO 5K on Saturday
Adrienne - New Balance Winter Grand Prix Cross Country Race on Saturday

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome, prism glasses on order!!!
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, weight bearing has begun, the boot is on it's way out the door
Ben - clavical. still in sling prison but released for some activity and can shower without the gear!
Jen - under the weather

Condolences to Mary G. on the loss of her father.

Go Racers and I'm glad to see improvement for those on the DL.Mary you and your family are in my prayers.I am so glad it's the weekend, if there had been one more day in this week I may have had a meltdown. Been horribly busy trying to do staffing for 5 schools for the new year a responsibility of my lazy as boss (who is leaving). We had our end of year/Christmas party this week and she insisted that she was well enough to attend and to do the farewells to the staff that were leaving even though she has been on "sick leave" since the start of November and didn't know that half of them were going. Anyway when she was done with the list she was supposed to sit down so that we could do a farewell to her but no she decided that it was appropriate for her to spent the next 10 plus minutes ranting about the Chairman of the Board (who was there) and how poorly done by she is and nothing is her fault. It was an extremely uncomfortable experience for everyone in the room. Unfortunately for her I think she did herself more damage than she did to the Chairman given the feedback I have had since it happened. Just one of many dramas this week. But thankfully everyone else has now gone on holidays until the middle of January so maybe I can go back to being the accountant
Ack, work drama. Hopefully it'll be better now.

2015-12-18 10:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by fortissimo Dress me, please! My coach has talked me into doing the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon tomorrow. It's a 4 mile run followed by a 10.8 mile bike. The temperature is supposed to be 40 with 10 mph winds at race time. I have no winter bike gear. So, do I just wear my running tights under my tri shorts? I will of course wear gloves and head band under my helmet. Do I wear my running jacket or borrow a bike jacket? Why do I let people talk me into these things?

Is this it? Of particular note here is that the race is bike then run, not run-bike-run. Might alter some dressing options. I had similar conditions for one last year, but didn't hardly need to add anything. Most people do though so will probably want some other advice too.   Mostly look at how you want to dress for the bike. Then chuck off a bunch of stuff for the run. Running has more heat build-up and less windchill due to going slower. Using the tri suit as a base layer tends to work well.

Yup, that's it! The first in the series is the run followed by the bike. My bike jacket is huge and not tight fitting at all so i think I'll just stick with the running jacket. I know the bike is only 10 miles, but i got some pretty nasty saddle sores while training for IM so I'm chicken to go without the tri shorts. I'll try the running tights on the bike tonight to see how it goes. Thanks, everyone!

Understandable. Though do know that the only thing that might fit better on the bike are bike shorts, so if that's not the case then something is wrong. Might be an issue to solve for another time. Go with what works best for this race.

And to reiterate something from the website:

Chilly Cheeks #3 will start with a 10 mile non-drafting paved bike ride. Riders will go off in groups of 5-10 at 1 minute intervals. Starting groups will be assigned as entries are received. The race will finish with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run.

It's Chilly Cheeks #1, which is run-ride.  December 19, 2015: Start Time-10:00 a.m. - Click Here for Course Map Chilly Cheeks #1 will start with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run, finish with a 10 mile paved bike ride.  Number 2 (run-bike-run) is in January, and #3 (bike-run) is in February.

Yeah, don't listen to me today. Although kind of surprised Yanti hasn't jumped right in with such an invitation in the first line!

Once again, thanks everyone for the advice!

This is what I've decided: Shorts on the run, my compression socks, and tee under a long-sleeve running shirt that has a zipper. After the run I'm going to throw a pair of regular bike pants on that I've borrowed from a friend and my running jacket and a neck gator. I will also wear gloves and a hat for the run.

Mary- thanks for the offer of the neck gator. Shhh.. but I stole DH's.
Ben-Thanks for looking out for me!
2015-12-19 12:41 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I've had a long, difficult week and a half and am finally up to getting back into things (well almost).  I've followed along here and there and first want to pass along my condolences to Mary.  My heart goes out to you.  Not a lot compares with loss of that magnitude.  I hope you are coping as well as possible.

My woes started last week when we cut a trip to Whistler short because I was having extreme pain in my side.  Ended up in the ER Saturday night with a possible kidney stone.  No stone though on the CT Scan so then they thought it was either a bowel obstruction or soft tissue mass (cancer) causing a constriction.  A trip to my oncologist in Seattle rules the worst case out (whew).  Visit to urologist today concludes kidney not draining due to old surgical/radiation scar tissue.  I go into the OR in the morning for a stent to open the kidney back up.  Also had blood pressure this week as high as 195/110 which was puzzling given my resting heart rate is in the mid 40's.  Started on some BP meds and it is coming back down.  A lot of that was probably due to all the pain.

Hopefully I can get back to some running next week.  The rest has certainly healed up any aches and pains in my legs.  And I've lost that last 5 pounds that have eluded me for months.  Hope you all have a good weekend. 

2015-12-19 5:26 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ouch! That sounds painful and terrible that it had to interrupt a vacation but glad it sounds like something quite treatable. Hope all goes well.
2015-12-19 5:54 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Dress me, please! My coach has talked me into doing the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon tomorrow. It's a 4 mile run followed by a 10.8 mile bike. The temperature is supposed to be 40 with 10 mph winds at race time. I have no winter bike gear. So, do I just wear my running tights under my tri shorts? I will of course wear gloves and head band under my helmet. Do I wear my running jacket or borrow a bike jacket? Why do I let people talk me into these things?

Is this it? Of particular note here is that the race is bike then run, not run-bike-run. Might alter some dressing options. I had similar conditions for one last year, but didn't hardly need to add anything. Most people do though so will probably want some other advice too.   Mostly look at how you want to dress for the bike. Then chuck off a bunch of stuff for the run. Running has more heat build-up and less windchill due to going slower. Using the tri suit as a base layer tends to work well.

Yup, that's it! The first in the series is the run followed by the bike. My bike jacket is huge and not tight fitting at all so i think I'll just stick with the running jacket. I know the bike is only 10 miles, but i got some pretty nasty saddle sores while training for IM so I'm chicken to go without the tri shorts. I'll try the running tights on the bike tonight to see how it goes. Thanks, everyone!

I know that I'm late to the party but if you do tri shorts + tights, but the shorts on UNDER the tights so the chamois is against your skin.  At least that's what I'd do...

Either way, HAVE FUN!

2015-12-19 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!!!

December 19-20
TJ - FAROLITO 5K on Saturday
Adrienne - New Balance Winter Grand Prix Cross Country Race on Saturday

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome, prism glasses on order!!!
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, weight bearing has begun, the boot is on it's way out the door
Ben - clavical. still in sling prison but released for some activity and can shower without the gear!
Jen - under the weather

Condolences to Mary G. on the loss of her father.

Go Racers and I'm glad to see improvement for those on the DL. Mary you and your family are in my prayers. I am so glad it's the weekend, if there had been one more day in this week I may have had a meltdown. Been horribly busy trying to do staffing for 5 schools for the new year a responsibility of my lazy as boss (who is leaving). We had our end of year/Christmas party this week and she insisted that she was well enough to attend and to do the farewells to the staff that were leaving even though she has been on "sick leave" since the start of November and didn't know that half of them were going. Anyway when she was done with the list she was supposed to sit down so that we could do a farewell to her but no she decided that it was appropriate for her to spent the next 10 plus minutes ranting about the Chairman of the Board (who was there) and how poorly done by she is and nothing is her fault. It was an extremely uncomfortable experience for everyone in the room. Unfortunately for her I think she did herself more damage than she did to the Chairman given the feedback I have had since it happened. Just one of many dramas this week. But thankfully everyone else has now gone on holidays until the middle of January so maybe I can go back to being the accountant

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

2015-12-19 6:02 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Understandable. Though do know that the only thing that might fit better on the bike are bike shorts, so if that's not the case then something is wrong. Might be an issue to solve for another time. Go with what works best for this race.

Chilly Cheeks #3 will start with a 10 mile non-drafting paved bike ride. Riders will go off in groups of 5-10 at 1 minute intervals. Starting groups will be assigned as entries are received. The race will finish with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run.

It's Chilly Cheeks #1, which is run-ride.  December 19, 2015: Start Time-10:00 a.m. - Click Here for Course Map Chilly Cheeks #1 will start with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run, finish with a 10 mile paved bike ride.  Number 2 (run-bike-run) is in January, and #3 (bike-run) is in February.

Yeah, don't listen to me today. Although kind of surprised Yanti hasn't jumped right in with such an invitation in the first line!

Once again, thanks everyone for the advice! This is what I've decided: Shorts on the run, my compression socks, and tee under a long-sleeve running shirt that has a zipper. After the run I'm going to throw a pair of regular bike pants on that I've borrowed from a friend and my running jacket and a neck gator. I will also wear gloves and a hat for the run. Mary- thanks for the offer of the neck gator. Shhh.. but I stole DH's. Ben-Thanks for looking out for me!

I swear, in some races picking the wardrobe is half the battle!

2015-12-19 6:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by popsracer

I've had a long, difficult week and a half and am finally up to getting back into things (well almost).  I've followed along here and there and first want to pass along my condolences to Mary.  My heart goes out to you.  Not a lot compares with loss of that magnitude.  I hope you are coping as well as possible.

My woes started last week when we cut a trip to Whistler short because I was having extreme pain in my side.  Ended up in the ER Saturday night with a possible kidney stone.  No stone though on the CT Scan so then they thought it was either a bowel obstruction or soft tissue mass (cancer) causing a constriction.  A trip to my oncologist in Seattle rules the worst case out (whew).  Visit to urologist today concludes kidney not draining due to old surgical/radiation scar tissue.  I go into the OR in the morning for a stent to open the kidney back up.  Also had blood pressure this week as high as 195/110 which was puzzling given my resting heart rate is in the mid 40's.  Started on some BP meds and it is coming back down.  A lot of that was probably due to all the pain.

Hopefully I can get back to some running next week.  The rest has certainly healed up any aches and pains in my legs.  And I've lost that last 5 pounds that have eluded me for months.  Hope you all have a good weekend. 

Oh no Steve!  I must admit, I was a bit worried when I saw your empty training blog.  This just sounds miserable.  I'm sorry that you are having surgery today but hopeful that you will feel much better soon.  Take care!  {{hugs}}

2015-12-19 8:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Driving east into a Texas sunrise.
2015-12-19 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Sorry you had such a tough time, but glad they were able to figure it out and you will get relief soon!

2015-12-19 12:58 PM

Master
Northern IL

Once again, thanks everyone for the advice! This is what I've decided: Shorts on the run, my compression socks, and tee under a long-sleeve running shirt that has a zipper. After the run I'm going to throw a pair of regular bike pants on that I've borrowed from a friend and my running jacket and a neck gator. I will also wear gloves and a hat for the run. Mary- thanks for the offer of the neck gator. Shhh.. but I stole DH's. Ben-Thanks for looking out for me!

I swear, in some races picking the wardrobe is half the battle!

Yeah, it can be when getting into various types of conditions. 5-10 deg colder can make a significant difference. So can the amount of wind. I'd have been more nervous about mine if there hadn't been the race a couple weeks before that bridged the gap from the 50's where I've had much more experience.

2015-12-19 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Sorry to hear this! I hope everything goes well in the OR, and that you have a good recovery. Lots of hugs to you!!
2015-12-20 12:00 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Katy, Texas
Mary I'm so sorry. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Steve! So sorry for your pain, but very glad it wasn't worse! Heal up bud.
2015-12-20 3:14 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, CO

Steve, sending lots of healing thoughts and hoping for a quick recovery.  Any surgery is no fun.

Stacey, what a way to go out.  Sounds like the lazy boss did herself no favors and showed how ill-fitted she was for the job!  Glad the drama is settling down.

Robin, hope you had fun at your race.  That series is always interesting weather-wise.  DH did one of those races where there was a fresh 12" of snow.  Everybody's times sucked and the bike leg was completely ridiculous.  At least everybody was handicapped equally.

I ran 6 miles yesterday, my longest run in over a year.  It went well, despite the first half being all uphill and into a sustained 20 mph wind.  The last half was sure easier.  I start back to work tomorrow and am a little nervous about how it'll go.  The new glasses do help and I've been able to enjoy reading again. Yay!!!  I'll just have to see how that translate to work.  Luckily, I've been monitoring my email while I've been out so I won't have 8 jillion emails to go through.

Alex made Tabasco ginger bread yesterday.  It sounds weird but boy, is it delicious!!  Probably too delicious. We were going to take it to a holiday party, but then didn't feel like going.  Now we're stuck with it and have to eat it all ourselves.  It's been pure torture.

2015-12-20 5:35 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That is such great news that you were able to run 6 miles Mary.  I hope it inspires me to get back out there soon.

2015-12-21 8:48 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Mary - congrats on the run and good luck at work today! Very exciting!

2015-12-21 12:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Mary G - I am truly sorry to hear about the unexpected loss of your father.  You have my condolences and will be in my thoughts. ((hugs))

Steve - sorry to hear about your health/medical issues, but at least it's good news the malady wasn't what you feared and that the doctors will hopefully be able to get you back being to yourself quickly after the surgery.  Heal well!

Mary S - wow, a 6 miler, great!

2015-12-21 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Steve, sending lots of healing thoughts and hoping for a quick recovery.  Any surgery is no fun.

Stacey, what a way to go out.  Sounds like the lazy boss did herself no favors and showed how ill-fitted she was for the job!  Glad the drama is settling down.

Robin, hope you had fun at your race.  That series is always interesting weather-wise.  DH did one of those races where there was a fresh 12" of snow.  Everybody's times sucked and the bike leg was completely ridiculous.  At least everybody was handicapped equally.

I ran 6 miles yesterday, my longest run in over a year.  It went well, despite the first half being all uphill and into a sustained 20 mph wind.  The last half was sure easier.  I start back to work tomorrow and am a little nervous about how it'll go.  The new glasses do help and I've been able to enjoy reading again. Yay!!!  I'll just have to see how that translate to work.  Luckily, I've been monitoring my email while I've been out so I won't have 8 jillion emails to go through.

Alex made Tabasco ginger bread yesterday.  It sounds weird but boy, is it delicious!!  Probably too delicious. We were going to take it to a holiday party, but then didn't feel like going.  Now we're stuck with it and have to eat it all ourselves.  It's been pure torture.

Mary, six miles is great...and into a headwind for half of it. Woo-eee.
And you're going to share the recipe for the Tabasco gingerbread.....when?
2015-12-21 2:13 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia

Mary, six miles is great...and into a headwind for half of it. Woo-eee. And you're going to share the recipe for the Tabasco gingerbread.....when?

Laura, some Manatees are better at sharing recipes than others

Mary, I hope that your first day back in the office is going well!

2015-12-21 3:07 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hey everyone,
THANK YOU so much for your thoughts, support and kind words! I truly appreciate it. I am back to the "normal" life and will definitely read what's going on with you, as I am anxious to know
I did some swim and run last Saturday to help me cope with the situation. My swim was weird. See, my dad died in the water. He had drown in Lake Michigan. In a super cold water. I cannot tell you how much reading and research I did on dying in cold water and everything around it. Anyway, while I was swimming laps on Saturday at some point I started to think of how my dad felt, how long he took his breath, how did the water feel. It was very weird and made me feel a bit uncomfortable. But I swam today and it was fine. And I actually enjoyed it.
Also, I decided I would dedicate my very first half-marathon to him.

Once again, thanks for your support! I'm back to the game
Maria
2015-12-22 12:14 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Jazz sends everyone a Mastiff sized melon press and hopes you all have a better day than you did yesterday (sorry it's a bit out of focus).

(IMG_1336.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1336.JPG (1320KB - 6 downloads)

2015-12-22 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Jazz sends everyone a Mastiff sized melon press and hopes you all have a better day than you did yesterday (sorry it's a bit out of focus).

Jazz does good work!  Zoe says, "Right back at you, Jazz!"

2015-12-22 8:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Trainer question.  Kevin had and old Cyclops Fluid 2 and it was starting to leak, etc.  He wanted a new trainer and decided on a Kickr Snap.  I am not up on all of the smart trainer stuff (nor is he) so could use some pointers.  What kind of setup are you Trainer Road/Zwift types using?  If you want to just do a 75 minute ride with intervals, are you using a canned workout in Trainer Road or something else?  Are you using a iPad or phone or something else with your setup?  Mounting your viewing device how?

Also, the Garmin speed/cadence sensor is working fine on Kevin's Fenix3 watch but seems to drop out on the Wahoo phone app. So I'm assuiming that the Garmin sensor to Garmin watch is fine because it's 100% ANT+ but something with the Bluetooth to the phone.  Does the Kickr get the cadence from the ANT+ and then rebroadcast it as Bluetooth? 

ETA: I pinged Darren, Sean and MR Matt about this.  I think the Ben is following along so he may have something to add as well.

Edited by jmkizer 2015-12-22 8:24 AM
2015-12-22 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Jazz sends everyone a Mastiff sized melon press and hopes you all have a better day than you did yesterday (sorry it's a bit out of focus).

thanks jazz!

2015-12-22 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Trainer question.  Kevin had and old Cyclops Fluid 2 and it was starting to leak, etc.  He wanted a new trainer and decided on a Kickr Snap.  I am not up on all of the smart trainer stuff (nor is he) so could use some pointers.  What kind of setup are you Trainer Road/Zwift types using?  If you want to just do a 75 minute ride with intervals, are you using a canned workout in Trainer Road or something else?  Are you using a iPad or phone or something else with your setup?  Mounting your viewing device how?

Also, the Garmin speed/cadence sensor is working fine on Kevin's Fenix3 watch but seems to drop out on the Wahoo phone app. So I'm assuiming that the Garmin sensor to Garmin watch is fine because it's 100% ANT+ but something with the Bluetooth to the phone.  Does the Kickr get the cadence from the ANT+ and then rebroadcast it as Bluetooth? 

ETA: I pinged Darren, Sean and MR Matt about this.  I think the Ben is following along so he may have something to add as well.

My actual bike setup is my Venge that has a g3 powertap wheel using a TravelTrac Fluid trainer (cheapish fluid trainer from Nashbar).  The trainer takes about 8 minutes to really get the resistance going, but adjusting gearing when that happens is easy enough.  I pretend that I just hit a steep hill and need to regear.

I run both trainerroad and Zwift on a pc.  To run them both at once you'll need two ANT+ dongles to make it work.  I manually adjust the window size for Zwift so it will fit above the horizontal TR bar.  Below is a screenshot of how I arrange them:

If I'm doing a planned workout it's either a workout that already exists in TR (just finished the Sweet Spot Base Mid Volume I plan) or I'll make a custom workout, so that I can manage the intervals easier on TR.

For mounting I have my laptop sitting on top of a plastic drawers box that I use to hold bike parts, etc in my garage.  

"but something with the Bluetooth to the phone"

Working as a software developer, I can tell you that Bluetooth can be a huge PITA, especially when dealing with a phone.  Don't have much to offer otherwise here sadly.  

Also, /wave manatees

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54761 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67321 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28356 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11958 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66810 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.