BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-04-30 12:55 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by Atlantia Got my race report up. And I have to brag a bit.....5 minute course PR!!! And I passed people on the bike? And never thought to myself "when will this be over" so that's big wins right there.

A whole lotta good in these few sentences, congrats!!

2019-04-30 5:54 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

The Fenix 5 is down to $350. Kevin just ordered one this morning. It could be a super spendy week for us... (although I think Robin K-C has us beat on that front!)

Very tempted to buy this, but i really don't need it! Plus, am thinking the 935 may have a big price drop since the 945 is soon to be released (at least Amazon is taking pre-orders).

What are you buying to make this a super spendy week??

I think that this Fenix 5 sale is in advance of the Garmin 945 announcement. It sounds like it will be available tomorrow-- based on some interwebs sluthing that I saw that has Amazon listing an April 30 availability date.  We should know in just a few days. I'm not interested in the 945 but I *am* interested in a less spendy 935 or Fenix 5. 

Kevin had a Fenix 3 that has stopped holding a charge in the past few weeks. He was also waiting for a sale. He said that he's lost too many bike computers in the woods and prefers a wrist-based solution for mountain biking.

The price point for the 945 is crazy!! Music and ability to pay with it just don't add anything for me. I already can pay from my Apple watch or phone and don't run with music; so even if it wasn't crazy expensive the 945 would not be the watch for me. Just my .02

Me neither. I just know that my 920XT has been acting up and I've been waiting for a price drop since Black Friday.

I did the old fashioned thing and laybuyed a Fenix 5s Plus (while they were on sale here). I don't care about the music and the ability to pay with it but I wanted to be able to download route maps on it due to my tendency to get geographically misplaced on the trail (and if we're honest pretty much anywhere). I also much prefer the size of the 5s as its small enough for me to wear all day every day.
2019-04-30 5:55 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Atlantia Got my race report up. And I have to brag a bit.....5 minute course PR!!! And I passed people on the bike? And never thought to myself "when will this be over" so that's big wins right there.

A whole lotta good in these few sentences, congrats!!

I agree great wins there
2019-05-01 9:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Question for those who use race wheels- what do I need to know about using them?  I will be borrowing a set of Zipps ( I’ll try to attach a picture but BT doesn’t seem to like my iPad, so no promises) For Choo 70.3 which is on 5/19.  I’ve never used race wheels before, so I’m interested in knowing whether there is anything I need to look out for- can I use them in windy conditions? I know depending on the wheel that could cause handling issues which is why Im hoping to post a picture! Also, any tricks to changing the tube or anything special about filling them? Or anything I should be asking, but am too dumb to know I should!?

ETA: photo attached .

Edited by amd723 2019-05-01 9:09 AM

Attachments
----------------
046D08C0-B551-475A-A6B6-AE24C90E6357.jpeg (233KB - 5 downloads)
2019-05-01 9:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question for those who use race wheels- what do I need to know about using them?  I will be borrowing a set of Zipps ( I’ll try to attach a picture but BT doesn’t seem to like my iPad, so no promises) For Choo 70.3 which is on 5/19.  I’ve never used race wheels before, so I’m interested in knowing whether there is anything I need to look out for- can I use them in windy conditions? I know depending on the wheel that could cause handling issues which is why Im hoping to post a picture! Also, any tricks to changing the tube or anything special about filling them? Or anything I should be asking, but am too dumb to know I should!?

Just be sure to put the wheels on 7-10 days before the race so that you can get used to them. Braking will be different, etc. If the Zipps have a carbon braking surface, you may need to change your brake pads. (FWIW, I'm dropping my bike off on the 6th to have the wheels changed and the shifting tuned).

Wind -- depends on how deep the wheels are.  The Zipp 404s are 60mm and should be fine for even a lighter rider such as yourself. 808s are 90mm. You are a confident rider. You'll be fine with those as well.  FWIW, my HEDs are 60mm. My spare tube just has a long valve on it (no valve extender needed).

Find out if you need a valve extender. If you do, be sure to carry on.

2019-05-01 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Just be sure to put the wheels on 7-10 days before the race so that you can get used to them. Braking will be different, etc. If the Zipps have a carbon braking surface, you may need to change your brake pads. (FWIW, I'm dropping my bike off on the 6th to have the wheels changed and the shifting tuned).

Wind -- depends on how deep the wheels are.  The Zipp 404s are 60mm and should be fine for even a lighter rider such as yourself. 808s are 90mm. You are a confident rider. You'll be fine with those as well.  FWIW, my HEDs are 60mm. My spare tube just has a long valve on it (no valve extender needed).

Thanks! I'm hoping to take them on a training ride or 2 before the race. hadn't thought about the carbon rim/brake thing, so will have to confirm that!

Why do you take your bike to the shop to change the wheels? Is it just convenience b/c your getting the shifting tuned? Or is there some issue changing out the wheel? 

2019-05-01 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks! I'm hoping to take them on a training ride or 2 before the race. hadn't thought about the carbon rim/brake thing, so will have to confirm that!

Why do you take your bike to the shop to change the wheels? Is it just convenience b/c your getting the shifting tuned? Or is there some issue changing out the wheel? 

I'm not sure about the Zipps, the HEDs have an aluminium braking surface. Worth asking about for sure.

I do take it to the bike shop because I use the same cassette on both my regular wheels and my race wheels. I'm afraid that if I change move the cassette from one wheel to the other and then put the wheel on, I'll have crappy shifting and I'm just terrible at adjusting it. Matt charges like $30 so I just drop it off at his shop (really $60 because presumably I'll want to put my regular wheels back on after the race!). So yes, I want excellent shifting for both Chattanooga and Lake Logan. Both courses will allow me to use all the gears!

Just few training rides before the race should get you all happy with the wheels. You don't want to change the wheels out much earlier because you'll have a whole, my bike is now light as a feather thing and you kind of want to hang on to that feeling for the race.

ETA: I do change the rear wheel on my road bike weekly because I have a trainer tire on one wheel and outdoor tire my the other. I'm not *that* much of a wimp.

Edited by jmkizer 2019-05-01 9:42 AM
2019-05-01 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm not sure about the Zipps, the HEDs have an aluminium braking surface. Worth asking about for sure.

I do take it to the bike shop because I use the same cassette on both my regular wheels and my race wheels. I'm afraid that if I change move the cassette from one wheel to the other and then put the wheel on, I'll have crappy shifting and I'm just terrible at adjusting it. Matt charges like $30 so I just drop it off at his shop (really $60 because presumably I'll want to put my regular wheels back on after the race!). So yes, I want excellent shifting for both Chattanooga and Lake Logan. Both courses will allow me to use all the gears!

Just few training rides before the race should get you all happy with the wheels. You don't want to change the wheels out much earlier because you'll have a whole, my bike is now light as a feather thing and you kind of want to hang on to that feeling for the race.

ETA: I do change the rear wheel on my road bike weekly because I have a trainer tire on one wheel and outdoor tire my the other. I'm not *that* much of a wimp.

Ha! I completely forgot that the rear wheel won't come with a cassette!! No way I'd do that by myself.

2019-05-01 10:42 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

POL post.  Been a little nutty with end of semester assignments and exams (mine and my students), I was sick for a week, and too many jobs

Some good results in races recently, congrats!  I am running a HM this weekend, with a focus on mental strength! 

I can't comment too much on the recent race wheels questions, because I keep mine on all the time.  Can't afford more than one set

2019-05-02 4:14 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IronOx

POL post.  Been a little nutty with end of semester assignments and exams (mine and my students), I was sick for a week, and too many jobs

Some good results in races recently, congrats!  I am running a HM this weekend, with a focus on mental strength! 

I can't comment too much on the recent race wheels questions, because I keep mine on all the time.  Can't afford more than one set

Have tons of mental fun with HM this weekend!
2019-05-03 1:12 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Lisa - VeolCity Atlanta on Saturday
Anne- Tour of Hermann gravel ride
Janyne - Raven Rock Ramble ride
Stacey - Margaret River Ultra Relay Leg 2
Adam - IM 70.3 VA on Sunday
TJ - Colorado Marathon on Sunday
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

2019-05-03 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

wow, look at all the racing manatees! Have tons of fun!!

2019-05-03 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

Big pod of racers this week!
Goooooooooo racers!! Have an amazing time.
2019-05-03 3:55 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

WHOOP! Crossing my fingers for great weather for all! Supposed to be "scattered thunderstorms" for my 62-mile VeloCity ride tomorrow, but hoping for the best. 

2019-05-03 4:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

That is a big list of racers, yay!!  The season is upon us.  Good luck and have FUN to all!

2019-05-05 4:23 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

It must be spring! That is a good number of racers.

I started my long run build up this weekend. I had a little snapping turtle incident. It was the first warm day and the reptiles were coming out of hibernation. A big, about 12 " diameter shell, snapping turtle decided it was time to cross the road this afternoon. We had a birding festival this weekend, so traffic was heavy, for here. I didn't want to see him get run over ( I learned that from Chris), so I decided to give him a hand. He was a little grouchy from just waking up. I tried to pick him up, thinking he would go into his shell, I could carry him across the road, easy peasy. He kindly disagreed with my good intentions, by nearly taking off my finger. Like my running, I was quicker than a turtle, and he missed. Someone stopped and gave me an aluminum bar and we coaxed his across the road. One lady did slow down to tell me I should use a shovel. I told her I forgot to bring one this run (I know, I'm a little snarky). We got him to safety and all is right with the world.

Edited by JBacarella 2019-05-05 4:24 PM

2019-05-05 6:38 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master

Mental game on point, physical, not so much .  Wanted to walk and/or quit for much of the second half of the race and managed to get through with just two strategic walks up hills.  Slowed down in the second half, but my training wasn't stellar, so not surprising.  It was a beautiful morning, and I accomplished my goal for the day.  AND a friend BQ'd in the full race, so it was a good day!

2019-05-05 6:39 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by JBacarella

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

It must be spring! That is a good number of racers. I started my long run build up this weekend. I had a little snapping turtle incident. It was the first warm day and the reptiles were coming out of hibernation. A big, about 12 " diameter shell, snapping turtle decided it was time to cross the road this afternoon. We had a birding festival this weekend, so traffic was heavy, for here. I didn't want to see him get run over ( I learned that from Chris), so I decided to give him a hand. He was a little grouchy from just waking up. I tried to pick him up, thinking he would go into his shell, I could carry him across the road, easy peasy. He kindly disagreed with my good intentions, by nearly taking off my finger. Like my running, I was quicker than a turtle, and he missed. Someone stopped and gave me an aluminum bar and we coaxed his across the road. One lady did slow down to tell me I should use a shovel. I told her I forgot to bring one this run (I know, I'm a little snarky). We got him to safety and all is right with the world.

Thank you for saving him, and glad you don't have any scars to prove it!

2019-05-05 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Good karma should be headed your way! My coach had something posted on FB that was similar, except it involved saving large numbers of newly hatched baby turtles while on a bike ride!

Big news here #1 I got clearance to start running again at my checkup on Thursday and put in 30 minutes on Friday and today. Very slow and I am of course terrified of tripping again (so mostly running on grass around a park with a bunch of soccer fields) but it doesn't seem to bother my arm and legs have held up so far.

#2 I have a phone interview tomorrow for a position with an elementary school on Maui. Looks like a great school, but the logistics of that move with household, pets, car, etc. are intimidating, especially as I'm not 100% physically right now. Will see what develops. Cannot do ANY race plans until I know if I'm going to be living/working locally or in Hawaii for next school year. Still pretty much at Crater Lake Marathon if local, Honolulu Marathon if Hawaii. That's it for the year, I think.
2019-05-06 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

It must be spring! That is a good number of racers. I started my long run build up this weekend. I had a little snapping turtle incident. It was the first warm day and the reptiles were coming out of hibernation. A big, about 12 " diameter shell, snapping turtle decided it was time to cross the road this afternoon. We had a birding festival this weekend, so traffic was heavy, for here. I didn't want to see him get run over ( I learned that from Chris), so I decided to give him a hand. He was a little grouchy from just waking up. I tried to pick him up, thinking he would go into his shell, I could carry him across the road, easy peasy. He kindly disagreed with my good intentions, by nearly taking off my finger. Like my running, I was quicker than a turtle, and he missed. Someone stopped and gave me an aluminum bar and we coaxed his across the road. One lady did slow down to tell me I should use a shovel. I told her I forgot to bring one this run (I know, I'm a little snarky). We got him to safety and all is right with the world.

Great turtle save! I haven't seen them yet this year. I guess they will be on the move soon.

2019-05-06 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

Great turtle save! I haven't seen them yet this year. I guess they will be on the move soon.

2019-05-06 7:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Good karma should be headed your way! My coach had something posted on FB that was similar, except it involved saving large numbers of newly hatched baby turtles while on a bike ride! Big news here #1 I got clearance to start running again at my checkup on Thursday and put in 30 minutes on Friday and today. Very slow and I am of course terrified of tripping again (so mostly running on grass around a park with a bunch of soccer fields) but it doesn't seem to bother my arm and legs have held up so far. #2 I have a phone interview tomorrow for a position with an elementary school on Maui. Looks like a great school, but the logistics of that move with household, pets, car, etc. are intimidating, especially as I'm not 100% physically right now. Will see what develops. Cannot do ANY race plans until I know if I'm going to be living/working locally or in Hawaii for next school year. Still pretty much at Crater Lake Marathon if local, Honolulu Marathon if Hawaii. That's it for the year, I think.

Great news on both the run and the interview!

2019-05-06 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

Mental game on point, physical, not so much .  Wanted to walk and/or quit for much of the second half of the race and managed to get through with just two strategic walks up hills.  Slowed down in the second half, but my training wasn't stellar, so not surprising.  It was a beautiful morning, and I accomplished my goal for the day.  AND a friend BQ'd in the full race, so it was a good day!

Mental toughness is so important ! Great job hanging in there and hitting your goal!

2019-05-06 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Good karma should be headed your way! My coach had something posted on FB that was similar, except it involved saving large numbers of newly hatched baby turtles while on a bike ride! Big news here #1 I got clearance to start running again at my checkup on Thursday and put in 30 minutes on Friday and today. Very slow and I am of course terrified of tripping again (so mostly running on grass around a park with a bunch of soccer fields) but it doesn't seem to bother my arm and legs have held up so far. #2 I have a phone interview tomorrow for a position with an elementary school on Maui. Looks like a great school, but the logistics of that move with household, pets, car, etc. are intimidating, especially as I'm not 100% physically right now. Will see what develops. Cannot do ANY race plans until I know if I'm going to be living/working locally or in Hawaii for next school year. Still pretty much at Crater Lake Marathon if local, Honolulu Marathon if Hawaii. That's it for the year, I think.

Great news on both the run and the interview!

x2

2019-05-06 10:22 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

May 4-5
Kirsten - half marathon

Is anyone else racing?

I'm seeing this as a life goal - be faster than a turtle in all things!   Thanks for saving his surly, shelled butt.  I like your snark!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107