BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-01 1:05 AM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by emcmino

Thanks everyone for the congrats on Andrew, we are kind of smitten with him. Minitee, is great, made me laugh. I have started to try and run some and even signed up for a 5k this weekend. I am probably not ready for that, but it was $20.00 and starts 6 blocks from my place. I couldn't say no.
So are you going to put Andrew in the pram (is that what you guys call them) and push him along for his first run too?

2016-11-01 2:42 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by emcmino Thanks everyone for the congrats on Andrew, we are kind of smitten with him. Minitee, is great, made me laugh. I have started to try and run some and even signed up for a 5k this weekend. I am probably not ready for that, but it was $20.00 and starts 6 blocks from my place. I couldn't say no.
So are you going to put Andrew in the pram (is that what you guys call them) and push him along for his first run too?

Stroller.

2016-11-01 2:44 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Speaking of Garmin 920- my elevation has been wonky since I got the watch. Like as in according to my watch, on Saturday my elevation gain was 41,628 and my loss was 24,188. I finally decided to call Garmin and the awesome service rep talked me through a diagnostic. According to my watch, my current elevation is 22,480 feet and the temperature is 305 degrees. So I'm either running on another planet or even the sun, or my watch is not working. As my watch is not even a year old it's under warrantee so they are shipping me a new watch tomorrow and I just have to send my old one back. Now that's customer service!

thats quite the altitude training! 

2016-11-01 3:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
So how does one train to get better at burning fat?

I think that is a matter of doing plenty of longer, lower-intensity workouts (as appropriate for the distance you are training for) and not taking in excessive amounts of calories during those workouts.

OTOH, my coach and resources she has shared with us recommend against fasted-state training, at least for women. That apparently is perceived by the body as stress/starvation, which slows down metabolism and accelerates fat storage, as well as impairing recovery, especially if you are training heavily and/or not taking in adequate calories after the workout. I don't generally run or do other workouts, at least anything over about 25 minutes, in a "fasted state"--not just due to energy levels but because I tend to get nauseated with longer/harder efforts on an empty stomach. In almost all of my AM workouts, I have eaten 1-2 granola bars (about 200-300 total calories) within an hour of starting; similar snack before a PM workout. After 37 years of endurance sports, I pretty much have worked out what I can and cannot eat before a workout or race of various distances and intensities.

I'm guessing that some of my ability to "go long" without much input is natural (maybe better at utilizing fat stores at longer, lower-intensity efforts, and not so awesome at high-intensity efforts where I need to burn the glycogen quickly). That may be due to partly muscle type and metabolism. Some may be the result of years of endurance training (not just running but hiking, trekking, etc.) with fairly minimal fueling en route.

I've never deliberately gone and said, "Okay, I'm going to take in the bare minimum of calories on this long run." It just never occurred to me (either because sports "nutrition" products didn't exist, or because I don't like them, or because I can't restock them here and have to "ration" them, or because I just wasn't hungry) to take in more than I felt I needed. On my coach's advice, I've tried to be more intentional about what/when I eat on long training runs and races, but honestly I've noticed zero difference in energy levels or performance that I can attribute to nutrition during the workout/race, or lack thereof. Even now, I usually have 1-2 more gus on board than I think I will need (in different flavours if one becomes unappealing), and eat them only if I feel low on energy. That has varied (during a HIM run with similar splits and bike calories) from one to three--no real idea why. In all cases, I had a strong run and no "bonk".

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-11-01 4:03 AM
2016-11-01 6:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Just a quick check in. Training has more or less ground to a hault. A combination of taking a break after my 50k run and in mid October I was offered a dream job which starts in January but also requires a move. The past few weeks have been filled with painting, repairing tiles, cleaning, and starting to pack up 12 years of stuff in an effort to declutter. Realestate is taking pictures later this week so once thats done the showings start. Hoping to have things wrapped up for December then back to normal.
2016-11-01 6:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Speaking of Garmin 920- my elevation has been wonky since I got the watch. Like as in according to my watch, on Saturday my elevation gain was 41,628 and my loss was 24,188. I finally decided to call Garmin and the awesome service rep talked me through a diagnostic. According to my watch, my current elevation is 22,480 feet and the temperature is 305 degrees. So I'm either running on another planet or even the sun, or my watch is not working. As my watch is not even a year old it's under warrantee so they are shipping me a new watch tomorrow and I just have to send my old one back. Now that's customer service!

22,480 feet, huh?

2016-11-01 7:17 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL Just a quick check in. Training has more or less ground to a hault. A combination of taking a break after my 50k run and in mid October I was offered a dream job which starts in January but also requires a move. The past few weeks have been filled with painting, repairing tiles, cleaning, and starting to pack up 12 years of stuff in an effort to declutter. Realestate is taking pictures later this week so once thats done the showings start. Hoping to have things wrapped up for December then back to normal.

Where is your dream job?  What is your dream job?  Clearly it's not playing Property Brothers' contractor ;-)

2016-11-01 7:21 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
On the subject of mildew, I have what appear to be alien life forms growing in all my bike bottles. (Yes, I wash them after each use with dish soap and a bottle brush. But I believe they never get dry.) Anyone have any good home remedies to clear out the sludge/mold/alien life forms?

It is really time for rainy season to end....All my shoes smell like dead animals, and both of my hydration belts have the zippers frozen open due to rusted sweat. I'm not sure my bath towels ever get, or stay, dry. And it is possible that my smaller cat has a fungal skin infection--basically, a mold! She's on some meds for a possible allergy, and if that doesn't work, they will test for fungus. Athlete's cat??
2016-11-01 7:50 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by amd723

PSA- anyone looking for a watch, Clever training and HRMUSA (and maybe amazon) are selling the Garmin920xt for $200.

This is a good deal.  I recently got a Forerunner 235, but I'm really missing the four data screens.  Anyone want a 235, so I can get a 920?

2016-11-01 7:52 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK So how does one train to get better at burning fat?

I don't know that one should train specifically to get better at burning fat, but rather to train appropriately in general and then for the race in mind, and let something like this come to where it does as a result of that training. Could work into one of those logical fallacies, getting in one's own way again. Remember that just getting into better shape can raise up everything.

2016-11-01 7:53 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner On the subject of mildew, I have what appear to be alien life forms growing in all my bike bottles. (Yes, I wash them after each use with dish soap and a bottle brush. But I believe they never get dry.) Anyone have any good home remedies to clear out the sludge/mold/alien life forms? It is really time for rainy season to end....All my shoes smell like dead animals, and both of my hydration belts have the zippers frozen open due to rusted sweat. I'm not sure my bath towels ever get, or stay, dry. And it is possible that my smaller cat has a fungal skin infection--basically, a mold! She's on some meds for a possible allergy, and if that doesn't work, they will test for fungus. Athlete's cat??

My answer is bleach and vegetable oil. Bleach is fairly simple. Veg oil is used on zippers, both my hydration belt and backpack. The pack is mostly unused, however, it is used on the kayak, thus the rust fight. After use, it gets cleaned a bit, then I take a paper towel that has a bit of cooking oil on it and rub the entire zipper top to bottom. And a bit on the zipper itself, open, close, and hope for the best. Same for my sweat covered belt pouch, which, thanks for the reminder, I need to do again.

2016-11-01 7:57 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

PSA- anyone looking for a watch, Clever training and HRMUSA (and maybe amazon) are selling the Garmin920xt for $200.

This is a good deal.  I recently got a Forerunner 235, but I'm really missing the four data screens.  Anyone want a 235, so I can get a 920?

I'm guessing people would, but with $200 for a 920, how much of a hit would you look at taking on it?

2016-11-01 8:55 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by DaveL Just a quick check in. Training has more or less ground to a hault. A combination of taking a break after my 50k run and in mid October I was offered a dream job which starts in January but also requires a move. The past few weeks have been filled with painting, repairing tiles, cleaning, and starting to pack up 12 years of stuff in an effort to declutter. Realestate is taking pictures later this week so once thats done the showings start. Hoping to have things wrapped up for December then back to normal.

Never a dull moment in your life!  Congrats on finding the dream job, good luck with all that goes with it (house finding, house selling, moving).

2016-11-01 8:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Hot Runner On the subject of mildew, I have what appear to be alien life forms growing in all my bike bottles. (Yes, I wash them after each use with dish soap and a bottle brush. But I believe they never get dry.) Anyone have any good home remedies to clear out the sludge/mold/alien life forms? It is really time for rainy season to end....All my shoes smell like dead animals, and both of my hydration belts have the zippers frozen open due to rusted sweat. I'm not sure my bath towels ever get, or stay, dry. And it is possible that my smaller cat has a fungal skin infection--basically, a mold! She's on some meds for a possible allergy, and if that doesn't work, they will test for fungus. Athlete's cat??

My answer is bleach and vegetable oil. Bleach is fairly simple. Veg oil is used on zippers, both my hydration belt and backpack. The pack is mostly unused, however, it is used on the kayak, thus the rust fight. After use, it gets cleaned a bit, then I take a paper towel that has a bit of cooking oil on it and rub the entire zipper top to bottom. And a bit on the zipper itself, open, close, and hope for the best. Same for my sweat covered belt pouch, which, thanks for the reminder, I need to do again.

I don't have anything that rusts, but bleach is the bomb for lots of things!  So are dryer sheets - I put them in my running shoes (when I'm not using them ) Keeps the stink away. They also go in my car. 

2016-11-01 9:10 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That's great news Garmin was so willing to work with you and replace your wonky watch.  305 degree temps - now that's hot!

2016-11-01 9:13 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

I don't have anything that rusts, but bleach is the bomb for lots of things!  So are dryer sheets - I put them in my running shoes (when I'm not using them ) Keeps the stink away. They also go in my car. 

I'm wondering about some of these endorsements and the cat?

2016-11-01 10:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by brigby1

I'm wondering about some of these endorsements and the cat?

Ha! I'm guessing the cat won't sit around long enough to be rubbed with a dryer sheet or dunked in bleach!  

2016-11-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK So how does one train to get better at burning fat?

I don't know that one should train specifically to get better at burning fat, but rather to train appropriately in general and then for the race in mind, and let something like this come to where it does as a result of that training. Could work into one of those logical fallacies, getting in one's own way again. Remember that just getting into better shape can raise up everything.

I agree here, to just continue to train. But I also think practicing with less dependence on those simple carbs, especially in the instances where's it's unnecessary. If anything, to break the habit and perceived reliance.
2016-11-01 12:13 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Well, thanks to Ann Marie, I will be receiving a Garmin 920xt in very short order....  Now I just gotta get back to training!  I have swam once and run once since my races two weekends ago.  I really struggle with getting up in the morning at this time of the year, so might have to quit trying and just shift training to the afternoon.  I actually happily took all last week off on purpose, so will give myself a bit of a break.  I need to work out a schedule for myself too that incorporates some strength training, cause if it is not on the schedule, it doesn't happen!  I am finishing up one of the courses I am currently taking tonight, so that will give me a bit more time too.  Happy All Saints Day!  

2016-11-01 12:50 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

Well, thanks to Ann Marie, I will be receiving a Garmin 920xt in very short order....  Now I just gotta get back to training!  I have swam once and run once since my races two weekends ago.  I really struggle with getting up in the morning at this time of the year, so might have to quit trying and just shift training to the afternoon.  I actually happily took all last week off on purpose, so will give myself a bit of a break.  I need to work out a schedule for myself too that incorporates some strength training, cause if it is not on the schedule, it doesn't happen!  I am finishing up one of the courses I am currently taking tonight, so that will give me a bit more time too.  Happy All Saints Day!  

Glad I could help  I didn't really need a new watch either, but it was too good of a deal to pass up 

Happy All Saints to you too!

2016-11-01 2:52 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by emcmino

Thanks everyone for the congrats on Andrew, we are kind of smitten with him. Minitee, is great, made me laugh. I have started to try and run some and even signed up for a 5k this weekend. I am probably not ready for that, but it was $20.00 and starts 6 blocks from my place. I couldn't say no.

No, not on this run. I am pretty slow, but I think he needs to be a little stronger before I put him in the running stroller and take off. His first race will probably be in the spring.

2016-11-01 3:05 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Ok so here's the bad news pod, Chris found Steve's Obituary today

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bellinghamherald/obituary.aspx?n=S...
2016-11-01 3:15 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Ok so here's the bad news pod, Chris found Steve's Obituary today http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bellinghamherald/obituary.aspx?n=S...

If you'd like to sign the online guest book or leave condolences for the family:

http://www.sigsfuneralservices.com/notices/Steve-Peschek/guest-book

2016-11-01 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Ok so here's the bad news pod, Chris found Steve's Obituary today http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bellinghamherald/obituary.aspx?n=S...

2016-11-01 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

ugh.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.