BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-11 4:46 PM
in reply to: #5269343

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Ann Marie...sending all kinds of positive energy & vibes your way.

2020-04-11 5:48 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

So, I’ve had a rather crappy Saturday. On what I knew was going to be a short run and why was I even doing it, I tripped and fell hard enough to crack my patella. ortho appointment to be scheduled Monday. Good thing Choo is postponed!

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this :-(

2020-04-11 7:59 PM

User image

Expert

So, I’ve had a rather crappy Saturday. On what I knew was going to be a short run and why was I even doing it, I tripped and fell hard enough to crack my patella. ortho appointment to be scheduled Monday. Good thing Choo is postponed!

Oh No! I'm sorry that happened. I hope you heal well.
2020-04-11 8:05 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Originally posted by alaskatri

Well, Alaska schools are now officially on distance learning for the rest of the year. And the majority of court hearings being cancelled is extended to the end of May. So we're in this for quite a while longer I guess.

Our State wide stay at home order is extended until April 30, but our state Supreme Court order closing courts except in limited circumstances expires on Monday. I am hoping our justices use good "judgment." It is hard to find anyone in this state who doesn't know someone who was hospitalized or passed away.
2020-04-12 4:57 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Illinois
Happy Easter, Manatees!
2020-04-12 8:55 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Happy Easter!I hope everyone in the Southeast US stays safe tonight.

2020-04-12 10:14 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

Happy Easter!!!
2020-04-13 8:31 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, Ann-Marie, I'm so sorry.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.  I hope the ortho gives you some news you will like.  Take care!

2020-04-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by alaskatri Well, Alaska schools are now officially on distance learning for the rest of the year. And the majority of court hearings being cancelled is extended to the end of May. So we're in this for quite a while longer I guess.
Our State wide stay at home order is extended until April 30, but our state Supreme Court order closing courts except in limited circumstances expires on Monday. I am hoping our justices use good "judgment." It is hard to find anyone in this state who doesn't know someone who was hospitalized or passed away.

i hope your Supreme Court extends the order! Ours did , so our Courts are very limited!

2020-04-13 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks for all the good thoughts! Not being able to run or bike or even yoga while locked down is really frustrating. Too bad I’m still eating like I’m exercising  Just trying to get over my why the hell did you go that route, do that run, etc thoughts! 
Ortho appointment later today, so hopefully I will have some direction and idea of when this will resolve. 

2020-04-13 11:27 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh Happy Easter!I hope everyone in the Southeast US stays safe tonight.

Checking in from Atlanta - all good here, just crazy winds at my house. Tornadoes were on the ground far south and north of me, and I know Chattanooga and other areas were hit. Growing up in Kansas, I generally don't get too spooled up over tornadic weather, but where I'm at the threat of falling trees (damaging roofs and power lines) is very real. Everyone else in the area OK today?

2020-04-13 12:50 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

I am sorry for not having posted for a while here, so I thought I'd share what is going on here in Wyoming. 

Thanks to the COVID19 pandemic, I am now working from home. I feel really lucky that my profession allows me to work from home and that I already have a home office set up, so I spend my day here at my computer with my bike next to me. That being said, I am a person who lives by his daily routines: it gives me to strength to know that I've got everything under control. The uncertainty of our current reality has made me feel a bit overwhelmed. Combine that the frustration of my parents and my step-son failing to understand the gravity of this pandemic and just living life like they did before. 

As a result, yesterday was the first time I've worked out in over a month. I got in about 31 minutes on the bike but it didn't go as well as I would have liked. To ride for 5 minutes straight required a 1-2 minute recovery period. So it was ride-catch breath-repeat for 31 minutes. I keep telling myself that I'm making up for not doing anything for the last month (pools closed has been the worst for me...) and by being on the bike, every little bit is better than doing nothing. 

With everything up in the air, I'm rethinking the sprint aquabike event in July. The organizer hasn't cancelled the event (yet) but with the way things are going, I don't think I will be able to properly train and be ready for this year. I'm probably going to put the event off until next year, but I will continue to work-out in order to get healthier (and weigh less). 

I've been asked how is the new (to me) bike going. Right now she is sitting here next to me. I still need to get pedals for her (I'm leaning to going with the LOOK type pedals), handlebar tape, and a few odds-and-ends. Payday is next week and I plan on purchasing what I need then.  I did mount a 'vintage' set of bolt-on Profile aero bars that I had laying around and she is really looking to be race ready! 

I hope to be a bit more active here now that things are starting to become a new reality. I hope that everyone is doing well out there for my fellow Manatees. 

Tom

P.S. Good news on the weight loss. A few weeks ago I dropped a few pounds to get to my lowest in many, many years.

2020-04-13 8:53 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by ceilidh Happy Easter!I hope everyone in the Southeast US stays safe tonight.

Checking in from Atlanta - all good here, just crazy winds at my house. Tornadoes were on the ground far south and north of me, and I know Chattanooga and other areas were hit. Growing up in Kansas, I generally don't get too spooled up over tornadic weather, but where I'm at the threat of falling trees (damaging roofs and power lines) is very real. Everyone else in the area OK today?

I saw that there was a tornado in Cartersville. Stay safe.
2020-04-13 9:00 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by alaskatri Well, Alaska schools are now officially on distance learning for the rest of the year. And the majority of court hearings being cancelled is extended to the end of May. So we're in this for quite a while longer I guess.

i hope your Supreme Court extends the order! Ours did , so our Courts are very limited!

They released the extension at 4:55 PM on Friday. Completely bizarre time to release it. Almost like they didn't want anyone to know. We only have hearings for incarcerated defendants and arrests for violent offenders. I did authorize on two kids who were having a field day breaking into cabins after the Governor included a travel prohibition to vacation property in the North. Basically they were looters, and would not have stopped if they weren't arrested. They were caught breaking into 3 houses, 2 pole barns and the dining hall for a summer camp.
2020-04-13 10:56 PM

User image

Thanks for all the good thoughts! Not being able to run or bike or even yoga while locked down is really frustrating. Too bad I’m still eating like I’m exercising  Just trying to get over my why the hell did you go that route, do that run, etc thoughts! 
Ortho appointment later today, so hopefully I will have some direction and idea of when this will resolve. 

I hope your appointment had good news. So sorry this happened!
2020-04-15 6:20 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by fortissimo

any news from the doc?

2020-04-16 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Anybody home?
2020-04-16 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by ceilidh

Anybody home?

I'm here, literally working from home. Contemplating getting a Zwift ride in on lunch hour. It's kind of challenging to keep motivated with all events being either postponed or cancelled.
2020-04-16 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by fortissimo

any news from the doc?

To quote the Dr., “ you exploded your air bag!”  Meaning the bursa behind my knee cap exploded, so that’s swell ( literally!) and confirmed  the fracture in the patella. But, no separation, so I am in a full length leg brace so I can’t bend my knee. 6 weeks to heal. At 2 weeks I go back to make sure it’s healing.

2020-04-16 8:52 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by ceilidh Anybody home?
I'm here, literally working from home. Contemplating getting a Zwift ride in on lunch hour. It's kind of challenging to keep motivated with all events being either postponed or cancelled.

Working from home too. I’m trying to do some upper body weight stuff so I don’t turn into one big blob over the next weeks!

My Glacier HM was canceled yesterday. I was June 27, so we were hoping it may have been ok, but it is run on the Blackfeet Indian ( I think) property and the tribe has canceled all outside activity. I can’t blame them since the Native American tribes are in real danger from COVID. In theory I would have had 5 weeks from recovery to race, so I probably wouldn’t been able to run the HM anyway. 
Happily, the airlines are pretty good allowing canceling flights right now, so I have 2 years to use my travel voucher from United and am signed up for next year’s glacier race. 

2020-04-16 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Working from home too. I’m trying to do some upper body weight stuff so I don’t turn into one big blob over the next weeks!

My Glacier HM was canceled yesterday. I was June 27, so we were hoping it may have been ok, but it is run on the Blackfeet Indian ( I think) property and the tribe has canceled all outside activity. I can’t blame them since the Native American tribes are in real danger from COVID. In theory I would have had 5 weeks from recovery to race, so I probably wouldn’t been able to run the HM anyway. 
Happily, the airlines are pretty good allowing canceling flights right now, so I have 2 years to use my travel voucher from United and am signed up for next year’s glacier race. 

That's great about being all set for next year. And you will be all clear of this knee thing. 

I've been hearing a lot of people talk about how they feel like they shouldn't feel bad/mad/upset/sad because others have it worse. And i don't know if you need to hear it but i keep having to remind myself that it's okay - yes, others do have it worse but it does mean your feelings aren't real and valid. Perhaps, it's not the space to talk about it in the middle of forum for health care workers but your feelings are real: 

I keep going up and down and i know i have a really lucky situation (still have a job, a nice house with a backyard, etc) but i have lamented the lack of childcare which is making work super difficult. Each person's situation at this time is different - maybe 'worse' maybe 'better' but those are value judgments - this isn't a comparison meter here. Approaching others with empathy is important. I just wanted to share and let you know ... if you're struggling with that. 

https://swimbikemom.com/2018/05/why-your-suffering-is-real.html

2020-04-16 9:58 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

That's great about being all set for next year. And you will be all clear of this knee thing. 

I've been hearing a lot of people talk about how they feel like they shouldn't feel bad/mad/upset/sad because others have it worse. And i don't know if you need to hear it but i keep having to remind myself that it's okay - yes, others do have it worse but it does mean your feelings aren't real and valid. Perhaps, it's not the space to talk about it in the middle of forum for health care workers but your feelings are real: 

I keep going up and down and i know i have a really lucky situation (still have a job, a nice house with a backyard, etc) but i have lamented the lack of childcare which is making work super difficult. Each person's situation at this time is different - maybe 'worse' maybe 'better' but those are value judgments - this isn't a comparison meter here. Approaching others with empathy is important. I just wanted to share and let you know ... if you're struggling with that. 

Thanks, you are right of course, whatever our feelings are about what we’re going through are valid and we are allowed to have them. i am really bummed about my situation, but think that maybe because everything is shut down and I couldn’t run or ride with others even if whole, I am dealing with this better than expected. Of course, I’m less than a week in, so reality May come and smack me in the face any second! I do get a bit envious and  When I see others completing virtual races or other workouts. I was particularly bummed when I was the only one not able to complete the run and yoga challenges I set up!

2020-04-16 10:51 AM
in reply to: #5269357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Proof of life, as I said, very intermittent internet up here on the mountain, and only via my cell phone. Well my iphone crapped out Friday. Went back to android and trying to get it all set up.

Anne-Marie, terribly sorry to read of your accident. Having blown ought a bursa myself many years ago I empathize.

Don't recall who mentioned that we should be grateful for what we have, perhaps what others don't. Thankfully the only real impact on my life is that my YMCA is closed, which really put a stop to my training. My 5k on May 9th is cancelled. Haven't heard about my August 2nd sprint triathlon yet.
2020-04-16 2:36 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Thanks for posting this!

2020-04-16 2:38 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

I am sorry for not having posted for a while here, so I thought I'd share what is going on here in Wyoming. 

Thanks to the COVID19 pandemic, I am now working from home. I feel really lucky that my profession allows me to work from home and that I already have a home office set up, so I spend my day here at my computer with my bike next to me. That being said, I am a person who lives by his daily routines: it gives me to strength to know that I've got everything under control. The uncertainty of our current reality has made me feel a bit overwhelmed. Combine that the frustration of my parents and my step-son failing to understand the gravity of this pandemic and just living life like they did before. 

As a result, yesterday was the first time I've worked out in over a month. I got in about 31 minutes on the bike but it didn't go as well as I would have liked. To ride for 5 minutes straight required a 1-2 minute recovery period. So it was ride-catch breath-repeat for 31 minutes. I keep telling myself that I'm making up for not doing anything for the last month (pools closed has been the worst for me...) and by being on the bike, every little bit is better than doing nothing. 

With everything up in the air, I'm rethinking the sprint aquabike event in July. The organizer hasn't cancelled the event (yet) but with the way things are going, I don't think I will be able to properly train and be ready for this year. I'm probably going to put the event off until next year, but I will continue to work-out in order to get healthier (and weigh less). 

I've been asked how is the new (to me) bike going. Right now she is sitting here next to me. I still need to get pedals for her (I'm leaning to going with the LOOK type pedals), handlebar tape, and a few odds-and-ends. Payday is next week and I plan on purchasing what I need then.  I did mount a 'vintage' set of bolt-on Profile aero bars that I had laying around and she is really looking to be race ready! 

I hope to be a bit more active here now that things are starting to become a new reality. I hope that everyone is doing well out there for my fellow Manatees. 

Tom

P.S. Good news on the weight loss. A few weeks ago I dropped a few pounds to get to my lowest in many, many years.

I'm sorry to hear that your parents and  step-son are causing you worry :-(

I'm glad that you got in the bike this week. I find that exercise helps me manage my stress. I hope that it helps you as well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127