BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-16 2:40 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by ceilidh Anybody home?
I'm here, literally working from home. Contemplating getting a Zwift ride in on lunch hour. It's kind of challenging to keep motivated with all events being either postponed or cancelled.

Working from home too. I’m trying to do some upper body weight stuff so I don’t turn into one big blob over the next weeks!

My Glacier HM was canceled yesterday. I was June 27, so we were hoping it may have been ok, but it is run on the Blackfeet Indian ( I think) property and the tribe has canceled all outside activity. I can’t blame them since the Native American tribes are in real danger from COVID. In theory I would have had 5 weeks from recovery to race, so I probably wouldn’t been able to run the HM anyway. 
Happily, the airlines are pretty good allowing canceling flights right now, so I have 2 years to use my travel voucher from United and am signed up for next year’s glacier race. 

That's great about being all set for next year. And you will be all clear of this knee thing. 

I've been hearing a lot of people talk about how they feel like they shouldn't feel bad/mad/upset/sad because others have it worse. And i don't know if you need to hear it but i keep having to remind myself that it's okay - yes, others do have it worse but it does mean your feelings aren't real and valid. Perhaps, it's not the space to talk about it in the middle of forum for health care workers but your feelings are real: 

I keep going up and down and i know i have a really lucky situation (still have a job, a nice house with a backyard, etc) but i have lamented the lack of childcare which is making work super difficult. Each person's situation at this time is different - maybe 'worse' maybe 'better' but those are value judgments - this isn't a comparison meter here. Approaching others with empathy is important. I just wanted to share and let you know ... if you're struggling with that. 

https://swimbikemom.com/2018/05/why-your-suffering-is-real.html

Thanks, you are right of course, whatever our feelings are about what we’re going through are valid and we are allowed to have them. i am really bummed about my situation, but think that maybe because everything is shut down and I couldn’t run or ride with others even if whole, I am dealing with this better than expected. Of course, I’m less than a week in, so reality May come and smack me in the face any second! I do get a bit envious and  When I see others completing virtual races or other workouts. I was particularly bummed when I was the only one not able to complete the run and yoga challenges I set up!

I know what you mean. I spent months being envious every time I saw someone running :-(

Fingers crossed that you are a super speed healer.

2020-04-16 2:58 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by ceilidh Anybody home?
I'm here, literally working from home. Contemplating getting a Zwift ride in on lunch hour. It's kind of challenging to keep motivated with all events being either postponed or cancelled.

You are not unique in that regard. I have noticed that my Strava feed is way less busy that it was a week or two ago. 

2020-04-16 2:59 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Proof of life, as I said, very intermittent internet up here on the mountain, and only via my cell phone. Well my iphone crapped out Friday. Went back to android and trying to get it all set up. Anne-Marie, terribly sorry to read of your accident. Having blown ought a bursa myself many years ago I empathize. Don't recall who mentioned that we should be grateful for what we have, perhaps what others don't. Thankfully the only real impact on my life is that my YMCA is closed, which really put a stop to my training. My 5k on May 9th is cancelled. Haven't heard about my August 2nd sprint triathlon yet.

Thanks for checking in. Hang in there!

2020-04-17 6:04 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HI all!

Well tax season is over - sorta. Everything has been extended to 7/15 but I still had a ton of people getting refunds who wanted to file. Not to mention most banks require financial statements by 4/30.

Motivation here is low - especially considering all races have pretty much been cancelled. What are your feelings on early 2021? (ie: CDA)

DH and I have been working from home (me for 4 weeks and him for 2). It's not too bad but still bizarre.

Ann Marie that sucks about your knee - but at least you aren't missing any races :/

I hope you are all dealing ok with this new normal!

2020-04-17 7:13 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HI all! Well tax season is over - sorta. Everything has been extended to 7/15 but I still had a ton of people getting refunds who wanted to file. Not to mention most banks require financial statements by 4/30. Motivation here is low - especially considering all races have pretty much been cancelled. What are your feelings on early 2021? (ie: CDA) DH and I have been working from home (me for 4 weeks and him for 2). It's not too bad but still bizarre. Ann Marie that sucks about your knee - but at least you aren't missing any races :/ I hope you are all dealing ok with this new normal!

I'm glad to hear that you survived Tax Season Part One.

Regarding motivation, I agree. It may be a time to do fun stuff to maintain something of a base. Dunno. What does your coach suggest? I am trying to do actual workouts during the week and get at least one fun, outdoor ride on the weekend. Sadly, I think that tomorrows fun ride will be on Zwift due to rain :-(  Are your mountain bike trails open? Our state parks are mostly closed but our county parks are mostly open so Kevin has some access to mtb but has [gasp] taken his road bike off the trainer to ride outside!  Despite what Dear Leader has said, the Army Corps has closed access to our lake, the USFs has severely restricted access to our national forests (Pisgah, Nantahala) through AUGUST, our state has closed many our state forests (Dupont, Holmes) so our mtb and hiking options are quite limited for now.

Kevin and I have been working from home.  Kevin for five weeks, and me for nearly as long. It took Zoe a while to adjust but she has rallied.

Regarding 2021 events, I dunno. I think that we will be back in the office in some form (one would hope!) but I'm not sure that gathering 2000+ athletes, volunteers, etc. will be in the cards until we have a vaccine or herd immunity. For me, I'd be a little nervous about signing up because if there is a regional flare up either in your home area or near the race location, you could be SOL.  That being said, I did defer my HIM to May 2021. I just went with the most distant date available.

What are your thoughts?

2020-04-17 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HI all! Well tax season is over - sorta. Everything has been extended to 7/15 but I still had a ton of people getting refunds who wanted to file. Not to mention most banks require financial statements by 4/30. Motivation here is low - especially considering all races have pretty much been cancelled. What are your feelings on early 2021? (ie: CDA) DH and I have been working from home (me for 4 weeks and him for 2). It's not too bad but still bizarre. Ann Marie that sucks about your knee - but at least you aren't missing any races :/ I hope you are all dealing ok with this new normal!

Regarding motivation, I agree. It may be a time to do fun stuff to maintain something of a base. Dunno. What does your coach suggest? I am trying to do actual workouts during the week and get at least one fun, outdoor ride on the weekend. Sadly, I think that tomorrows fun ride will be on Zwift due to rain :-(  Are your mountain bike trails open? Our state parks are mostly closed but our county parks are mostly open so Kevin has some access to mtb but has [gasp] taken his road bike off the trainer to ride outside!  Despite what Dear Leader has said, the Army Corps has closed access to our lake, the USFs has severely restricted access to our national forests (Pisgah, Nantahala) through AUGUST, our state has closed many our state forests (Dupont, Holmes) so our mtb and hiking options are quite limited for now.

Kevin and I have been working from home.  Kevin for five weeks, and me for nearly as long. It took Zoe a while to adjust but she has rallied.

Regarding 2021 events, I dunno. I think that we will be back in the office in some form (one would hope!) but I'm not sure that gathering 2000+ athletes, volunteers, etc. will be in the cards until we have a vaccine or herd immunity. For me, I'd be a little nervous about signing up because if there is a regional flare up either in your home area or near the race location, you could be SOL.  That being said, I did defer my HIM to May 2021. I just went with the most distant date available.

What are your thoughts?

I don't have much in the way of helpful thoughts. I am fine, really if sporting events are largely off the calendar until next year ... It's such a bummer, but the priority is going to be getting people working and things like sporting events, and festivals (that are not just gatherings of large people but also require community resources like health care) will be the last things to come back.  

I think you're right, the risk of regional flare ups is high - and having events like HIMs that draw international crowds will still be risky. But I am not in health care or anything. Just an outside observer who is staying home for the moment. 

I am enjoying the strength program i am doing. Day 11 today and i am looking forward to it! I did ALL the pushups from my toes yesterday!!!! That is HUGE! Anyway, finding the little things. 

2020-04-17 11:47 AM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

I'm sorry to hear that your parents and  step-son are causing you worry :-(

I'm glad that you got in the bike this week. I find that exercise helps me manage my stress. I hope that it helps you as well.

The good news is my parents are now heeding the stay at home advice, so at least that is going right. Not much for my step-son. :|

Got another ride planned this afternoon! Here's to stress management!

--Tom

2020-04-17 1:33 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

I'm glad that you got in the bike this week. I find that exercise helps me manage my stress. I hope that it helps you as well.

The good news is my parents are now heeding the stay at home advice, so at least that is going right. Not much for my step-son. :|

--Tom

Glad to hear the news about your parents and your bike ride!

2020-04-17 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

A while back, a few people were tossing around the idea of a Manatee Zoom session.  How would people feel about setting one or two standing meetings that people can drop in on. Maybe 11:30am until noon eastern each Monday for starters? Is there any interest?

If people would find this helpful/useful, I'd be happy to set it up. If everyone is sick of video calls, I totally get it!

2020-04-17 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

A while back, a few people were tossing around the idea of a Manatee Zoom session.  How would people feel about setting one or two standing meetings that people can drop in on. Maybe 11:30am until noon eastern each Monday for starters? Is there any interest?

If people would find this helpful/useful, I'd be happy to set it up. If everyone is sick of video calls, I totally get it!

Janyne, count me in, if only for the opportunity to put names/faces/voices together. And you hit the perfect time for me, since I am an early luncher at work. We are still of the mindset that someone must be "available" in the office all day. Some of the logistics of remote work are interesting, to put it mildly.

2020-04-17 3:41 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

--Tom

Good to see they're on board. I think my folks are getting better about it, but quite honestly, the two of them are hardly the most mobile of people, so they have been 90% isolated for the past couple of years.

Keep on pedaling, stress reduction is  good thing!

2020-04-17 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

What are your thoughts?

I just finished week 5 or 6 of the happiest work time of my life. Ann is finishing up week 3. Or 4. Whatever it is, I have enjoyed it and gotten a TON of stuff done. Like Janyne's, our county parks are open, although facilities are not. State are closed. So, I can ride road, gravel or trails, nothing on the bike (my primary off road is county and bandit-ish trails) has really changed other than group rides. And since I no longer run or swim, it's all good. I had a number of gravel events on the calendar, which have all been squashed, but it's not really painful, since they were all in the state, smallish and had day of sign-up available, so I hadn't dropped a dime. I have to agree, I think larger events will be one of the last things to come back on-line. And I wonder what that will look like in the near term, as many people will have the same outlook on whether or not they want to do those types of events. Long term, I wonder whether some events/companies will ever come back from this? 

2020-04-17 4:42 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Janyne, count me in, if only for the opportunity to put names/faces/voices together. And you hit the perfect time for me, since I am an early luncher at work. We are still of the mindset that someone must be "available" in the office all day. Some of the logistics of remote work are interesting, to put it mildly.

Since I'm not doing anything (other than work from home and learning Irish), count me in!

2020-04-17 4:46 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert

Originally posted by cdban66

Since I'm not doing anything (other than work from home and learning Irish), count me in!

I'm in.
2020-04-17 5:00 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Oh I'm totally in! The more people I see the better

Our trails are open but I keep hearing they are so overcrowded that I have no desire to go. I'm also battling either an it band or sciatica thing. Running is fine and road riding upright are fine so I'm sticking with those.

I'm looking forward to a little free time in the next few weeks and I'm going to tear apart the basement and clean house!!

2020-04-17 5:41 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Oh I'm totally in! The more people I see the better Our trails are open but I keep hearing they are so overcrowded that I have no desire to go. I'm also battling either an it band or sciatica thing. Running is fine and road riding upright are fine so I'm sticking with those. I'm looking forward to a little free time in the next few weeks and I'm going to tear apart the basement and clean house!!

Ouch! I've been there. Take care of yourself!

I'll get the Zoom info to you this weekend.

2020-04-17 11:37 PM

User image

Master

Kinda early for us west-coasters , but I would love to pop in for this!

2020-04-18 4:48 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Expert
Illinois
Happy Saturday, Manatees! I'm finding that the days somewhat blur together and weekends don't have the significance they held prior to the pandemic.
2020-04-18 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake Happy Saturday, Manatees! I'm finding that the days somewhat blur together and weekends don't have the significance they held prior to the pandemic.

I feel ya! A neighbor has a mannequin  sitting in a lawn chair on her front lawn. It has props and holds up signs, most reminding us the day of the week! It's both funny and needed.

2020-04-18 7:26 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by IronOx

Ill redo my Zoom account. I was was hacked, i am pretty sure. Thanks Janyne.
2020-04-18 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

I recognize that.  I thought we could add a "west coast" time that people in the mountain and pacific time zones could propose.

2020-04-18 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Happy Saturday, Manatees! I'm finding that the days somewhat blur together and weekends don't have the significance they held prior to the pandemic.

You need to get Steve a day of the week clock for his retirement. Then you could peak at it as needed ;-)

2020-04-18 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The Monday meetup URL is https://bit.ly/RacingManatee.

PW = manatee (all lower case)

I've put the link at the top of my training blog as well for future reference.  This should work for both the Monday at 11:30 eastern time slot and whatever other time that we pick that may be more west coast-friendly.

2020-04-18 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have a daily Zoom meeting from Monday to Friday at 9 AM West Coast Time (noon for East Coasters).
2020-04-18 12:47 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

The Monday meetup URL is https://bit.ly/RacingManatee.

PW = manatee (all lower case)

I've put the link at the top of my training blog as well for future reference.  This should work for both the Monday at 11:30 eastern time slot and whatever other time that we pick that may be more west coast-friendly.

I can do anytime. Late afternoon early evening ok too!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127