BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-12 4:53 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by ceilidh With the help of fabulous friends, we were able to get a lot of our belongings out. We are now refugee status at a local hotel/ inn. The cats are unhappy and scared, but we are good.

Thinking of you!

2016-11-12 7:21 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Stacey, thinking of you and your pups. It's so hard losing a furkid.

Robin, hope you are safe and that you can get home soon!
2016-11-13 1:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Robin, glad you and the fur kids made it out safely. Hope your house is okay.

I just got back from a MTB ride that featured a substantial section where a machete (not kidding) would have been really useful. We actually ended up turning back. In nearly a decade of rides with this group, that is the first time that has ever happened. Just too dense and buggy to go on. Also a couple of sections with mud up to my knees. I think I spent about as much time carrying the bike as riding. OMG--talk about a total body workout!

Could someone please sent the aforementioned cold front here? When I started the final road "sprint" back home down the parkway (18 km instead of the usual 10-15, due to our backtrack), someone mentioned it was 38 degrees C on their Garmin. Not sure exactly what that is in Fahrenheit, but given that 40C is 105F, it's pretty hot! Plus the "parkway" is basically a 10-lane road with zero shade and approximately a million motorbikes. (I draft them!)

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-11-13 1:09 AM
2016-11-13 6:19 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by ceilidh

With the help of fabulous friends, we were able to get a lot of our belongings out. We are now refugee status at a local hotel/ inn. The cats are unhappy and scared, but we are good.
I'm so glad to hear that you and your kitties are all safe. Praying that you house is also safe.
2016-11-13 9:01 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by brigby1

30F this morning. Still shorts weather. Longer socks & sleeves, but still shorts.

Heck yeah. I wear shorts no matter what. THE only exception seems to be if I need to protect from snow or ice scraping the skin. I swear, it's like the cold almost numbs the legs I to thinking they aren't working very hard. Of course, that's anecdotal

Growing up with it, this is hardly a warning shot. There will be days when it's another 30 colder. I do need to watch it at times as I can pick up some small scratches or other things that I won't feel on the run, but can burn like crazy later! Current runs aren't really too long, so not much risk of that yet.

2016-11-14 5:01 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Illinois
Stacey, so sorry to hear about your beautiful dog. It is so hard to lose our animal friends.
Robin, doing the rain dance for North Carolina.

2016-11-14 6:48 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by brigby1

30F this morning. Still shorts weather. Longer socks & sleeves, but still shorts.

Heck yeah. I wear shorts no matter what. THE only exception seems to be if I need to protect from snow or ice scraping the skin. I swear, it's like the cold almost numbs the legs I to thinking they aren't working very hard. Of course, that's anecdotal

You may want some kind of leg covering at times This is the result of taking an uncleared trail yesterday through the woods, 15 minutes with a tweezer from my aid kit in the van and I was good to go.

2016-11-14 7:14 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes! I could have used leg covers for the ride yesterday if it weren't so darned hot! My legs are now covered in scratches, and it looks like someone tried to cut off one of my fingers. (Actually, it's just a surface cut most of the way around my finger from riding through grass above my head--somehow I got grass in my handlebar and it sliced my finger. I guess that was better than the guy who got grass hopelessly tangled in his derailleur and had to take his bike for repair afterwards. (Forgot to mention the grass--it's a popular stretch of trail called "The Grass Forest". Not sure of the wisdom of riding MTB's through grass above one's head, but there actually IS a single-track trail through it, unlike some of the other areas we hit yesterday! )

What I was really worried about with all the wading through muddy water were leeches, which were a big feature of my Sri Lanka bike tour a few years back, but amazingly, there weren't any and I haven't ever had any on a Saigon-area ride. The water quality is probably such that they wouldn't survive. You can actually purchase special "leech socks" for jungle trekking that kinda sorta work.
2016-11-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

From the realm of completely useless info, my only brush with familial greatness can be found on Google today.

https://www.google.com/#q=Frederick+Banting&oi=ddle&hl=en

Edited by cdban66 2016-11-14 7:33 AM
2016-11-14 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Stacey - I'm so sorry for your loss.
Robin - glad you and the kitties got out safely. I'm still thinking of both of you. HUGS!

As for myself, I'll get a proper race report up soon, long story short, yesterday I learned what it feels like to start too fast at a 5k, hanging on for dear life for the final mile and a half, legs so heavy all you can think about is curling up on the side of the road. Max HR 193 and an average of 183 for the whole race. Wow! I actually came home and fought off a headache for the entire rest of the day. Still lingering now, actually. Give me all the hydration!
2016-11-14 9:44 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

Stacey - I'm so sorry to hear about dear Elle.  Many big (((hugs))).

Robin - I've been concerned about you all weekend especially after seeing updates on The Weather Channel.  I'm sorry you had to evacuate but glad you and your family and animals are safe.

Chris - that's pretty cool to know you are related to him!

Karen - glad your friend is OK and finished successfully.  For sure I'd wonder, as you are, how much better her time could've possibly been had she not overloaded her race schedule.  Perhaps this might be an opportunity for her to reflect and introspect.

2016-11-14 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Oh Stacey I am so sorry. {{hugs}}

Robin I'm glad everyone got out safely. Hopefully you'll return to your home with all safe and sound soon.

2016-11-14 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So I've recently become a grandma-of-sorts. DS1 is seeing a girl who has a five year old daughter. They seem to be getting pretty serious and I've had the pleasure of buying toys for her to have at our house. Well Saturday was the first time I've had her without mom or DS1. We went to the local childrens/science museum with my brother and his kids. We had a blast and I am quickly falling for that little girl.  So this is a picture I took when she stuck her head in a mirror/prism thingy...

(Dani star.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dani star.jpg (1759KB - 5 downloads)
2016-11-15 7:42 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Love the photo TJ

Chris for some reason your photo isn't showing up.
2016-11-15 9:11 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

So I've recently become a grandma-of-sorts. DS1 is seeing a girl who has a five year old daughter. They seem to be getting pretty serious and I've had the pleasure of buying toys for her to have at our house. Well Saturday was the first time I've had her without mom or DS1. We went to the local childrens/science museum with my brother and his kids. We had a blast and I am quickly falling for that little girl.  So this is a picture I took when she stuck her head in a mirror/prism thingy...

Big smile, she looks like a fun girl to be a grandma-of-sorts to!  I can see you lacing her up and taking her on trail adventures!

2016-11-15 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

From the realm of completely useless info, my only brush with familial greatness can be found on Google today.

That's pretty cool -you're related??

I walk by the building every day where they keep his desk (I get off the subway stop by University of Toronto

2016-11-15 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Oh Stacey I am so sorry. {{hugs}}

Robin I'm glad everyone got out safely. Hopefully you'll return to your home with all safe and sound soon.

x2 - sending hugs

Stacey - it's so hard to lose a family member like that. Anyone who thinks they are 'just a pet' clearly never had one. 

Robin - hope you can go home soon! safely of course!

2016-11-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey Manatees, I doing fine over here. Been quiet on the logs and such because life is just busy. We moved into our temporary rental at the beginning of the month, a few days sooner than expected since our water heater broke on November 2. What a stroke of luck that was - given our renovation we wouldn't want to have to replace it - so it's great that it broke down one day after our lease started on the rental. 

But moving is stressful. man, it stinks. And i realize now why it is so important to take the time to do spring/fall cleaning ... so much stuff over 5 years!! We haven't fully settled in. But we are finalizing details with the contractor and architect and should have a start date in the near future!!! 

Anyway, i finally made it to swimming last night and I am taking it easy. I stayed for just over 30 minutes. I don't need to overdo it. I made a pact with my hubby that i would make it to every to swim (Mon/Wed) until Christmas. I don't feel much like running so i am not. Thinking that some yoga and prenatal strength would be good to round out a reasonable exercise regimen. I am 17 weeks pregnant this week - and will have the ultrasound where you can find out the sex in two weeks but I am not going to. It's a fun thing to look forward to. 

2016-11-15 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

The pre-race saga continues, sort of...

I tripped during my 4 mile run yesterday, on a SIDEWALK!!!  I got some road rash on my right hand, right elbow and right leg. I also have a pretty substantial bruise and some swelling on my elbow. I figured that was the extent of it but yesterday at work I developed a pain in my right shoulder and it was difficult to breathe deeply.  I hoped it was just a jammed shoulder and had an appointment anyway with my chiro.  I got there and he said everything was in place but the surrounding muscles were angry. So he did some ART and the normal adjustments and it felt better immediately. He asked me to stick around for a bit to make sure the feeling didn't come back, it didn't.

During the night I was pretty sore and felt it every time I rolled over. 

This morning I felt good, just still have the road rash and bruised/swollen elbow. But I'm not taking any chances. I cancelled my morning run and my trip to the dentist

2016-11-15 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by cdban66

That's pretty cool -you're related??

I walk by the building every day where they keep his desk (I get off the subway stop by University of Toronto

Vaguely related way back when. You have to go back a few generations to get the US (my family) and Canadians to appear in the same room. We had run into them at Disney World aboot 20 years ago and they wanted nothing to do with us.   Smart move on their part.

I need to get up there at some point and see what there is to see.

2016-11-15 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK Physically I am feeling much better, the cough and the stuffy head have gone and my balance is much better, but I still have issues with my left ear, hopefully it will clear in the next day or so. Emotionally I'm feeling a bit battered. We lost our old girl Elle yesterday. Stupid dog had swallowed a honkey nut (very large nut from a gum tree) and it ruptured her bowel, unfortunately there was no way to save her. She was a quiet stabilising matriarch in our house that used to be a surrogate mum to all our pups. We will miss her dearly.

Oh Stacey, I am so very sorry to hear this. {{hugs}}

Aw, I'm sorry Stacey.

2016-11-15 2:52 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I go away for a few days and it all falls apart -
Stacey- so sorry. That sucks.

Robin - URGH glad you are safe with the kitties!
2016-11-15 3:04 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

The pre-race saga continues, sort of...

I tripped during my 4 mile run yesterday, on a SIDEWALK!!!  I got some road rash on my right hand, right elbow and right leg. I also have a pretty substantial bruise and some swelling on my elbow. I figured that was the extent of it but yesterday at work I developed a pain in my right shoulder and it was difficult to breathe deeply.  I hoped it was just a jammed shoulder and had an appointment anyway with my chiro.  I got there and he said everything was in place but the surrounding muscles were angry. So he did some ART and the normal adjustments and it felt better immediately. He asked me to stick around for a bit to make sure the feeling didn't come back, it didn't.

During the night I was pretty sore and felt it every time I rolled over. 

This morning I felt good, just still have the road rash and bruised/swollen elbow. But I'm not taking any chances. I cancelled my morning run and my trip to the dentist

Sidewalks are bad news, I tell ya!  Glad you are OK overall and that your ART/chiro guru got your shoulder happy again quickly.  Heal, heal, heal!  And be careful!

2016-11-15 3:05 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey Manatees, I doing fine over here. Been quiet on the logs and such because life is just busy. We moved into our temporary rental at the beginning of the month, a few days sooner than expected since our water heater broke on November 2. What a stroke of luck that was - given our renovation we wouldn't want to have to replace it - so it's great that it broke down one day after our lease started on the rental. 

But moving is stressful. man, it stinks. And i realize now why it is so important to take the time to do spring/fall cleaning ... so much stuff over 5 years!! We haven't fully settled in. But we are finalizing details with the contractor and architect and should have a start date in the near future!!! 

Anyway, i finally made it to swimming last night and I am taking it easy. I stayed for just over 30 minutes. I don't need to overdo it. I made a pact with my hubby that i would make it to every to swim (Mon/Wed) until Christmas. I don't feel much like running so i am not. Thinking that some yoga and prenatal strength would be good to round out a reasonable exercise regimen. I am 17 weeks pregnant this week - and will have the ultrasound where you can find out the sex in two weeks but I am not going to. It's a fun thing to look forward to. 

Sounds like you have a nice plan in place to stay appropriately active and happy during your pregnancy.  Good luck with the renovations and moving, and thanks for the reminder that it's good to unload 'stuff' periodically.  It can be tough sometimes.  Take care!

2016-11-15 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

ah moving. My Moto has become "if in doubt throw it out". The problem is that Phil moto is "it might come in handy so we had better keep it". That makes for interesting conversations.
I'm glad your pregnancy is going well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.