BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-23 8:43 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by Atlantia Hi all! Just a quick POL post. I moved into my new house 7 April, but didn't get internet until yesterday. Family is healthy, we're getting settled, and all things considered all is well.

Thanks for checking in!

2020-04-23 1:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

....For me, even though I'm extremely introverted and prefer to train solo, I 100% love the social and community aspect of racing. It's why I do all of this. So to take away the community aspect of races doesn't appeal to me, either. I like the idea of doing a solo race over 2 or 3 days if that's what it comes down to. We'll see. 

I like the race with people too.  When I did my last FTP test 3 weeks ago.  I just focused on putting out as many watts as I possibly could.  About every 20 seconds, I would evaluate how I felt and if things were feeling unsustainable I would back off a hair.  If I felt i could do a little more I would push a hair harder and if I was where I needed to be I would hang on. Then I would spend the next 19-1/2 seconds focusing on my cadence, pedal efficiency, and try to distract myself from any discomfort and then repeat the process again asking myself how the last 20 seconds went and if I could sustain what I just did to the end of the test. 

With the on-line race one guy took off so I sped up to his speed to see if I could hang with him.  Three of us played cat and mouse for the entire race speeding up and slowing down always staying in striking distance but waiting for the most opportune moment to make our moves.  It was way different from a solo effort like I do for a FTP test.  :-)  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-04-23 2:38 PM
2020-04-23 3:03 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

....For me, even though I'm extremely introverted and prefer to train solo, I 100% love the social and community aspect of racing. It's why I do all of this. So to take away the community aspect of races doesn't appeal to me, either. I like the idea of doing a solo race over 2 or 3 days if that's what it comes down to. We'll see. 

I like the race with people too.  When I did my last FTP test 3 weeks ago.  I just focused on putting out as many watts as I possibly could.  About every 20 seconds, I would evaluate how I felt and if things were feeling unsustainable I would back off a hair.  If I felt i could do a little more I would push a hair harder and if I was where I needed to be I would hang on. Then I would spend the next 19-1/2 seconds focusing on my cadence, pedal efficiency, and try to distract myself from any discomfort and then repeat the process again asking myself how the last 20 seconds went and if I could sustain what I just did to the end of the test. 

With the on-line race one guy took off so I sped up to his speed to see if I could hang with him.  Three of us played cat and mouse for the entire race speeding up and slowing down always staying in striking distance but waiting for the most opportune moment to make our moves.  It was way different from a solo effort like I do for a FTP test.  :-)  

My coach said to find an appropriate length Zwift race for my FTP tests.

2020-04-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Expert
A few random things:

I did yoga(ish) last night. I have to give up my cognitive denial and admit that I have the flexibility of a stone.

Nobody else filed for my position, so I will run unopposed. Which means I can race this year...well I am physically capable of training and have the time to race.

We were talking about doing IMFL this year. I'm going to set up a plan and train for it. I'm concerned about committing to it and then there is a second waive of COVID, and I'm out of business.

I enjoyed the virtual Manatee Meet-up. I'm looking forward to Monday.

I saw the pictures of PA's hillbillypaloosa/COVIDfest, and it's the same basic group that we have here in MI. We have two more rallies this weekend. The "Freedom Rally" smaller protests planned simultaneously across the state. Then we have the completely misogynist storming the Queens Castle. They plan on having a rally as near as the State Police will allow them to get, which I believe is about 4 blocks. It's funny the state has maintained the governor's mansions in Lansing and on Mackinaw Island since the 1800's and now it's an issue that the governor lives there and they act like it was her idea. I am embarrassed to admit that I know some of these idiots. The upside is I've been sending information that I receive to Daughter #1's constitutional law professor. He is doing a study on this aspect of the pandemic and the protests in MI are the primary focus.
2020-04-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jmkizer

Have you seen Sufferfest’s new Half Monty ride? It’s the new ramp test that does FTP, LTHR. and MAP. It won’t take as much out of you as the 4DP test. I was going to use it for my next FTP test and probably will do it once I’m cleared to ride to get my new sad numbers.
2020-04-23 3:31 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella A few random things: I did yoga(ish) last night. I have to give up my cognitive denial and admit that I have the flexibility of a stone. Nobody else filed for my position, so I will run unopposed. Which means I can race this year...well I am physically capable of training and have the time to race. We were talking about doing IMFL this year. I'm going to set up a plan and train for it. I'm concerned about committing to it and then there is a second waive of COVID, and I'm out of business. I enjoyed the virtual Manatee Meet-up. I'm looking forward to Monday. I saw the pictures of PA's hillbillypaloosa/COVIDfest, and it's the same basic group that we have here in MI. We have two more rallies this weekend. The "Freedom Rally" smaller protests planned simultaneously across the state. Then we have the completely misogynist storming the Queens Castle. They plan on having a rally as near as the State Police will allow them to get, which I believe is about 4 blocks. It's funny the state has maintained the governor's mansions in Lansing and on Mackinaw Island since the 1800's and now it's an issue that the governor lives there and they act like it was her idea. I am embarrassed to admit that I know some of these idiots. The upside is I've been sending information that I receive to Daughter #1's constitutional law professor. He is doing a study on this aspect of the pandemic and the protests in MI are the primary focus.

congrats on being unopposed, I’m sure that is a relief even knowing you would have won easily!

Orlando has had a couple of protests now and though not quite the hillbillypaloosa ( love that!) as some other states’, it definitely has a certain ...flavor. We have been questioned about allowing the protests in light of the Stay at Home Order and we explain about Constitutional Rights, but there is some thought that we can and should enforce the Order . We wouldnt want to arrest anyone and fill the jail, but maybe order them to disperse and save the arrest for those who defy that lawful order. The good news is the protest are in the city police jurisdiction and not my agency’s So I dont have to think too hard about that particular problem.

i hope IM Florida is a go for you!

Looking forward to the next zoom meet up.

2020-04-23 4:15 PM

Originally posted by JBacarella

A few random things:

I did yoga(ish) last night. I have to give up my cognitive denial and admit that I have the flexibility of a stone.

Nobody else filed for my position, so I will run unopposed. Which means I can race this year...well I am physically capable of training and have the time to race.

We were talking about doing IMFL this year. I'm going to set up a plan and train for it. I'm concerned about committing to it and then there is a second waive of COVID, and I'm out of business.

I enjoyed the virtual Manatee Meet-up. I'm looking forward to Monday.

I saw the pictures of PA's hillbillypaloosa/COVIDfest, and it's the same basic group that we have here in MI. We have two more rallies this weekend. The "Freedom Rally" smaller protests planned simultaneously across the state. Then we have the completely misogynist storming the Queens Castle. They plan on having a rally as near as the State Police will allow them to get, which I believe is about 4 blocks. It's funny the state has maintained the governor's mansions in Lansing and on Mackinaw Island since the 1800's and now it's an issue that the governor lives there and they act like it was her idea. I am embarrassed to admit that I know some of these idiots. The upside is I've been sending information that I receive to Daughter #1's constitutional law professor. He is doing a study on this aspect of the pandemic and the protests in MI are the primary focus.

Congrats on going unopposed. I can't imagine too many things worse than having to run a campaign as a prosecutor or judge. Hopefully you'll get to do IMFL. And I too have the flexibility of a rock, but have been trying to work on that with Adriene a bit.
2020-04-23 4:23 PM

I hope I'm not violating any forum rules here by doing a product plug. If so, Janyne delete this out. But if it's allowed, I gotta say how much I love Aftershokz. I bought a pair of used Trex Air last year in November. They were fairly new to begin with, the guy I got them from just did not love the bone conduction tech. I absolutely hate having earphones over my ears, which is only slightly better than having earbuds inside my ears. I've been using these headphones almost daily since I bought them. A few weeks ago they quit on me. I saw that they have 2 year warranties if you have your proof of purchase. I was set on buying a new pair, but thought I'd drop an e-mail to the company instead. I told them how much I loved the headphones, explained my purchase, and asked if I should even bother with trying to do any warranty with them. I was hoping maybe they would at least give me a little bit of a discount on an upgrade to their new Aeropex set. Nope, they sent me an e-mail instead that said they would approve me for a new replacement pair, fill out the online form and they'd send me the shipping info. That was about two weeks ago. Today, I got a brand new pair of the same version in the mail!!! In the days of lockdown, this is such an exciting event. Hopefully the last pair was a fluke and these things have some longevity behind them. But Aftershokz extended me a warrant for 2 years from when I bought my original pair in November. I love these things enough that I'd buy a new pair every 2 years.
2020-04-23 5:14 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by JBacarella A few random things: I did yoga(ish) last night. I have to give up my cognitive denial and admit that I have the flexibility of a stone. Nobody else filed for my position, so I will run unopposed. Which means I can race this year...well I am physically capable of training and have the time to race. We were talking about doing IMFL this year. I'm going to set up a plan and train for it. I'm concerned about committing to it and then there is a second waive of COVID, and I'm out of business. I enjoyed the virtual Manatee Meet-up. I'm looking forward to Monday. I saw the pictures of PA's hillbillypaloosa/COVIDfest, and it's the same basic group that we have here in MI. We have two more rallies this weekend. The "Freedom Rally" smaller protests planned simultaneously across the state. Then we have the completely misogynist storming the Queens Castle. They plan on having a rally as near as the State Police will allow them to get, which I believe is about 4 blocks. It's funny the state has maintained the governor's mansions in Lansing and on Mackinaw Island since the 1800's and now it's an issue that the governor lives there and they act like it was her idea. I am embarrassed to admit that I know some of these idiots. The upside is I've been sending information that I receive to Daughter #1's constitutional law professor. He is doing a study on this aspect of the pandemic and the protests in MI are the primary focus.
Congrats on going unopposed. I can't imagine too many things worse than having to run a campaign as a prosecutor or judge. Hopefully you'll get to do IMFL. And I too have the flexibility of a rock, but have been trying to work on that with Adriene a bit.

This mad me laugh! 

2020-04-23 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri I hope I'm not violating any forum rules here by doing a product plug. If so, Janyne delete this out. But if it's allowed, I gotta say how much I love Aftershokz. I bought a pair of used Trex Air last year in November. They were fairly new to begin with, the guy I got them from just did not love the bone conduction tech. I absolutely hate having earphones over my ears, which is only slightly better than having earbuds inside my ears. I've been using these headphones almost daily since I bought them. A few weeks ago they quit on me. I saw that they have 2 year warranties if you have your proof of purchase. I was set on buying a new pair, but thought I'd drop an e-mail to the company instead. I told them how much I loved the headphones, explained my purchase, and asked if I should even bother with trying to do any warranty with them. I was hoping maybe they would at least give me a little bit of a discount on an upgrade to their new Aeropex set. Nope, they sent me an e-mail instead that said they would approve me for a new replacement pair, fill out the online form and they'd send me the shipping info. That was about two weeks ago. Today, I got a brand new pair of the same version in the mail!!! In the days of lockdown, this is such an exciting event. Hopefully the last pair was a fluke and these things have some longevity behind them. But Aftershokz extended me a warrant for 2 years from when I bought my original pair in November. I love these things enough that I'd buy a new pair every 2 years.

Product reviews are welcome!

I actually got a refurb pair last November as well :-)  It's great to hear that they stand by their product! (see what I did there?)

2020-04-23 5:42 PM

Originally posted by alaskatri I hope I'm not violating any forum rules here by doing a product plug. If so, Janyne delete this out. But if it's allowed, I gotta say how much I love Aftershokz. I bought a pair of used Trex Air last year in November. They were fairly new to begin with, the guy I got them from just did not love the bone conduction tech. I absolutely hate having earphones over my ears, which is only slightly better than having earbuds inside my ears. I've been using these headphones almost daily since I bought them. A few weeks ago they quit on me. I saw that they have 2 year warranties if you have your proof of purchase. I was set on buying a new pair, but thought I'd drop an e-mail to the company instead. I told them how much I loved the headphones, explained my purchase, and asked if I should even bother with trying to do any warranty with them. I was hoping maybe they would at least give me a little bit of a discount on an upgrade to their new Aeropex set. Nope, they sent me an e-mail instead that said they would approve me for a new replacement pair, fill out the online form and they'd send me the shipping info. That was about two weeks ago. Today, I got a brand new pair of the same version in the mail!!! In the days of lockdown, this is such an exciting event. Hopefully the last pair was a fluke and these things have some longevity behind them. But Aftershokz extended me a warrant for 2 years from when I bought my original pair in November. I love these things enough that I'd buy a new pair every 2 years.

I actually got a refurb pair last November as well :-)  It's great to hear that they stand by their product! (see what I did there?)

I am probably going to move my bike and trainer to my office next week given our current shutdown allows me time during the day to get some training in. I might actually buy a second set - likely the Aeropex this time - and keep a pair at the office and a pair at home.

2020-04-23 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

wow, that is great customer service! 

2020-04-23 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

I am probably going to move my bike and trainer to my office next week given our current shutdown allows me time during the day to get some training in. I might actually buy a second set - likely the Aeropex this time - and keep a pair at the office and a pair at home.

Yes, headphones are one thing that it's good to have duplicates of -- one to charge and one to use. It helps a lot if you are like me and forget to charge things!

2020-04-23 9:28 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Have you seen Sufferfest’s new Half Monty ride? It’s the new ramp test that does FTP, LTHR. and MAP. It won’t take as much out of you as the 4DP test. I was going to use it for my next FTP test and probably will do it once I’m cleared to ride to get my new sad numbers.

I plan on trying Half Monty early next week, either Monday or Tuesday. I will let you know how it goes.
2020-04-23 9:55 PM

User image

POL post:

Last week was a challenge. The weather was horrible and getting out to even walk baby shark was hard.

Both of the cats also got sick. Wednesday Lilo wouldn't eat and just slept on my lap all day. She did eat a bit of chicken for dinner. Thursday she was better but then Caesar wouldn't eat. When Caesar doesn't eat something is wrong. So he got to go to the vet because he was vomiting as well. They gave him some fluids and a prescription and has now recovered.

I'm pretty much over remote learning. It takes at least 3 hours every day to upload assignments into our district program. Since I don't teach the same class twice in a day, I get to upload 7 different assignments. When I give specific notation assignments for instruments, that then expands into 5 different worksheets for each orchestra and at least 10 for band. I can't just give "Practice for xx minutes each day" because only about 10% of my kids can actually practice at home for a variety of different reasons.

Going to the store is and adventure. The lack of Diet Pepsi and Lindor 70% Dark Chocolate truffles at the store may have caused a few tears.

But this is a new week and it had to be better!

Monday we had a parade for our students and drove around our attendance area. It was so fun and so nice to see so many students. The police and fire departments joined us so it was kind of loud.

After the parade my husband and I went to donate blood. They love my blood because I'm O negative. When we got there they made me take off my face mask so I could have my temperature taken. I was thinking, ummm wouldn't it be safer to do a scan? I complied and discovered my temperature was 100.2. I asked her to try again because even when I had meningitis in high school I never had a temp. She tried again and it was down to 99.8. I doubted the thermometer and asked if she would take Greg's. Nope.

Whatever.

We went to Target and bought a thermometer. My temp was the normal 97.2 it always is.

Better yet, Target had one 6 pack of Diet Pepsi and my Lindor chocolate! Hey, some people drink alcohol, so I figure Diet Pepsi and chocolate aren't that bad, right? Right?!?!

Hope everyone else is well!

2020-04-24 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

I plan on trying Half Monty early next week, either Monday or Tuesday. I will let you know how it goes.

Great, thanks!

2020-04-24 8:17 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo POL post: Last week was a challenge. The weather was horrible and getting out to even walk baby shark was hard. Both of the cats also got sick. Wednesday Lilo wouldn't eat and just slept on my lap all day. She did eat a bit of chicken for dinner. Thursday she was better but then Caesar wouldn't eat. When Caesar doesn't eat something is wrong. So he got to go to the vet because he was vomiting as well. They gave him some fluids and a prescription and has now recovered. I'm pretty much over remote learning. It takes at least 3 hours every day to upload assignments into our district program. Since I don't teach the same class twice in a day, I get to upload 7 different assignments. When I give specific notation assignments for instruments, that then expands into 5 different worksheets for each orchestra and at least 10 for band. I can't just give "Practice for xx minutes each day" because only about 10% of my kids can actually practice at home for a variety of different reasons. Going to the store is and adventure. The lack of Diet Pepsi and Lindor 70% Dark Chocolate truffles at the store may have caused a few tears. But this is a new week and it had to be better! Monday we had a parade for our students and drove around our attendance area. It was so fun and so nice to see so many students. The police and fire departments joined us so it was kind of loud. After the parade my husband and I went to donate blood. They love my blood because I'm O negative. When we got there they made me take off my face mask so I could have my temperature taken. I was thinking, ummm wouldn't it be safer to do a scan? I complied and discovered my temperature was 100.2. I asked her to try again because even when I had meningitis in high school I never had a temp. She tried again and it was down to 99.8. I doubted the thermometer and asked if she would take Greg's. Nope. Whatever. We went to Target and bought a thermometer. My temp was the normal 97.2 it always is. Better yet, Target had one 6 pack of Diet Pepsi and my Lindor chocolate! Hey, some people drink alcohol, so I figure Diet Pepsi and chocolate aren't that bad, right? Right?!?! Hope everyone else is well!

UGH! Sorry for all the crapola! But the parade sounds cool!! What's the deal with stores being out of certain types of soda? I haven't been able to find caffeine free Coke Zero in weeks How is that particular type of soda so popular??

2020-04-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, "remote learning" is not all it's cracked up to be. I spend about the same time getting assignments up. Sometimes I do everything and then it disappears in Cyberspace when the site glitches or our internet connection gets disrupted (it's never been great, and is now worse). Then checking them. Then dealing with the 50% of parents who think it's not nearly enough work, and the other 50% who are overwhelmed at it all, especially the tech end, and screaming about too much "screen time" for their kids.

As for thermometers, that happened all the time during SARS in China. The ones that don't touch your forehead are even less accurate. Basically to enter any indoor space at all, as well as our residential compound, you had to go through a temperature check. So if you were running a series of errands, that could involve 5 to 10 checks. It wasn't at all uncommon to "pass" some and "fail" others, especially on warm days. Our school had a "cool down" area with chairs and bottled water just outside the door for kids (and teachers) who failed the check (kids don't control their body temps as well as adults in hot weather). You got to sit for 5-10 minutes drinking chilled water, try again, and were only sent home if you were still over "normal". I started walking to work, maybe a mile away, after school re-opened as it seemed safer than the bus or a taxi, but by then it was mid-May and usually hot, so I spent a lot of time in the cool-down area! Also problematic that everyone's "normal" is different, women and men are different, and women different depending on hormonal cycles.
2020-04-24 11:27 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Question for the manatees:  I, like Jason, have started using Adriene to help me with flexibility and yoga.  The most sane (read: area most likely to be kind of left alone) area of the house to do yoga is in my basement with a yoga mat on the concrete floor.  While for a lot of the exercises this is fine, there are a few times that I think the yoga (ha, I accidentally typed yoda first) mat is too thin and it kind of hurts after a while.  Mainly while doing planks and such things.  

Any thoughts of how I could make this space a little more body-friendly?

2020-04-24 11:34 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

UGH! Sorry for all the crapola! But the parade sounds cool!! What's the deal with stores being out of certain types of soda? I haven't been able to find caffeine free Coke Zero in weeks How is that particular type of soda so popular??

I'm perplexed by my local grocery store being clean out of TOFU (of all things!) since this started. My theory is that they only ordered it once every 4-6 weeks so when it got snatched up at the very beginning, they just haven't gotten around to their regular re-ordering time frame. There's no way that many people are buying tofu, lol! I miss my tofu 

2020-04-24 11:35 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Question for the manatees:  I, like Jason, have started using Adriene to help me with flexibility and yoga.  The most sane (read: area most likely to be kind of left alone) area of the house to do yoga is in my basement with a yoga mat on the concrete floor.  While for a lot of the exercises this is fine, there are a few times that I think the yoga (ha, I accidentally typed yoda first) mat is too thin and it kind of hurts after a while.  Mainly while doing planks and such things.  

Do you have multiple mats? For some reason we have about 4 around our house so i double up some times. Or even a little carpet or area rug might add some cushioning.

Plus you can always use a towel folded over for some moves, like crescent where your knee is on the floor, just slide it under to alleviate specific pressure? 

2020-04-24 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I have been completely staying out of the news as much as possible but do hear some things. A lot of 'face palming' when I do hear. 

I did come across this article that was talking about 'obedient' Canadians are and it made me laugh ... one funny part: 

It all reminds me of the old joke:

How do you get 500 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

You say: “OK everyone, out of the pool.”

Not that everything is going perfectly - we clearly have our own yahoos in all of this but the article did make me smile: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/josh-freed-as-usual-canadians-excel-at-obedience-in-the-covid-19-era/ 

2020-04-24 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Can you use something like this?  When I had a dedicated workout room - way different from my current dedicated bike trainer room , I used these mats. They saved my knees and floors.

2020-04-24 11:49 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

I have been completely staying out of the news as much as possible but do hear some things. A lot of 'face palming' when I do hear. 

I did come across this article that was talking about 'obedient' Canadians are and it made me laugh ... one funny part: 

It all reminds me of the old joke:

How do you get 500 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

You say: “OK everyone, out of the pool.”

Not that everything is going perfectly - we clearly have our own yahoos in all of this but the article did make me smile: https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/josh-freed-as-usual-canadians-excel-at-obedience-in-the-covid-19-era/ 

we could use some of that Canadian obedience !we just went over 50k confirmed fatalities ( everyone knows we have not counted all the deaths, so really the number’s higher). 

2020-04-24 12:00 PM

Yoga mats are definitely thin for doing on a concrete floor. What about using a floor mat for bike trainers? Wahoo, Peleton, and a whole host of other companies that sell them. I think they are generally quite a bit thicker than yoga mats.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127