BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by juniperjen

p>

How do you get 500 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

You say: “OK everyone, out of the pool.”

>

I think you forgot the "eh" at the end of that.

2020-04-24 1:09 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by melbo55

Question for the manatees:  I, like Jason, have started using Adriene to help me with flexibility and yoga.  The most sane (read: area most likely to be kind of left alone) area of the house to do yoga is in my basement with a yoga mat on the concrete floor.  While for a lot of the exercises this is fine, there are a few times that I think the yoga (ha, I accidentally typed yoda first) mat is too thin and it kind of hurts after a while.  Mainly while doing planks and such things.  

Any thoughts of how I could make this space a little more body-friendly?

Yoga mats are definitely thin for doing on a concrete floor. What about using a floor mat for bike trainers? Wahoo, Peleton, and a whole host of other companies that sell them. I think they are generally quite a bit thicker than yoga mats.

Anti-fatigue mats. You can get something that may be up to 2'x6' or so. They are marketed for commercial kitchens. I think they are made up to 2 inches thick. The link is merely one option, you can probably find them in a ton of places. Ours came from the local restaurant supply store. In related news, don't get used to going into the restaurant supply store with a spouse that likes kitchen gadgets 

2020-04-24 1:43 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question for the manatees:  I, like Jason, have started using Adriene to help me with flexibility and yoga.  The most sane (read: area most likely to be kind of left alone) area of the house to do yoga is in my basement with a yoga mat on the concrete floor.  While for a lot of the exercises this is fine, there are a few times that I think the yoga (ha, I accidentally typed yoda first) mat is too thin and it kind of hurts after a while.  Mainly while doing planks and such things.  

Do you have one of those mats that goes under a trainer?  If so, I'd give that a try. 

I either do yoga in my office on a hardwood floor (not too bad) or in the bedroom with the yoga mat on an area rug.  The rug works pretty well.

2020-04-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Weird...there is LOTS of tofu in stock here in Eugene. Maybe as there are lots of vegetarians and so most stores, even mainstream groceries, stock several brands. We also have a locally made brand (Toby's) of tofu/tempeh products that is really popular. So there's no issue with shipping that. I'm anticipating that meat is going to be in shorter and shorter supply until there is an effective vaccine or the virus takes a summer holiday. During SARS I seem to recall that fresh meat/poultry was nearly impossible to find. Pretty much depended on eggs and nuts for protein.

What we are short on at the grocery store are a few items like rice (though, oddly, there are plenty of 25-30 pound bags of it in Asian groceries), beans, and, of course, Lysol-type products. The TP situation has resolved somewhat in the last few weeks, but I have not seen any Lysol products at all since beginning of March, nor masks since sometime in February. What's really puzzling to me is that rice/beans have been in short supply (with a sign on the shelf mentioning "supplier issues_ that is STILL there) since just before Christmas at the store we usually go to. Can't help wondering if someone knew and was stockpiling in advance.
2020-04-24 2:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
How do you get 500 Americans INTO a swimming pool?

Say, "The government of XXX has strictly forbidden all swimming due to CoVid," and then leave the pool gate open. At least 500 people will jump in in "protest" while another 500 film them and post to social media. (And some of the "protestors" probably don't know how to swim.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-04-24 2:18 PM
2020-04-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by alaskatri

Yoga mats are definitely thin for doing on a concrete floor. What about using a floor mat for bike trainers? Wahoo, Peleton, and a whole host of other companies that sell them. I think they are generally quite a bit thicker than yoga mats.

Anti-fatigue mats. You can get something that may be up to 2'x6' or so. They are marketed for commercial kitchens. I think they are made up to 2 inches thick. The link is merely one option, you can probably find them in a ton of places. Ours came from the local restaurant supply store. In related news, don't get used to going into the restaurant supply store with a spouse that likes kitchen gadgets 

I AM that spouse, LOL!  There is an excellent kitchen (not restaurant) supply store that is just far enough away to keep it from being a regular excursion, yet close enough to warrant an occasional visit as a 'special trip'.  I bought a small anti-fatigue mat for in front of the sink that is a god-send.

Thanks for the tips, manatees, I will do a little price comparing between the trainer mat (right now mine is just on the concrete, no need to protect that from my sweat), the interlocking rubber tiles, and the anti-fatigue mat.  I thought about a large towel but wasn't sure if it would slip around.  Maybe put the towel on top...

2020-04-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner How do you get 500 Americans INTO a swimming pool? Say, "The government of XXX has strictly forbidden all swimming due to CoVid," and then leave the pool gate open. At least 500 people will jump in in "protest" while another 500 film them and post to social media. (And some of the "protestors" probably don't know how to swim.)

Shaking my head.  Wow, and yikes.

2020-04-24 3:00 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner How do you get 500 Americans INTO a swimming pool? Say, "The government of XXX has strictly forbidden all swimming due to CoVid," and then leave the pool gate open. At least 500 people will jump in in "protest" while another 500 film them and post to social media. (And some of the "protestors" probably don't know how to swim.)

Shaking my head.  Wow, and yikes.

Sadly true.

2020-04-24 3:01 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

LOL! Watching the news today, there are protesters here in Georgia - people upset that the Governor opened non-essential businesses (even though not all that can are opening, so people are upset about that too). Drive-by protesting at the Governor's mansion and at the capital building. The news cameras are camped out at barber shops filming the lines of people since they are allowed to be open as of today. Hair cuts. 

Edited by lisac957 2020-04-24 3:03 PM
2020-04-24 3:21 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Have you seen Sufferfest’s new Half Monty ride? It’s the new ramp test that does FTP, LTHR. and MAP.....

I know that FTP is.  It is the average power you can sustain for one hour at an all-out effort.

I am less familiar with LTHR.  It stands for Lactate Threshold Heart Rate and would be your average HR at your Lactate Threshold.  I think that is similar to your FTP but I am not sure which is higher.  I do know that if I feel the burn in my quads in a race that the burn is from Lactate Acid building up and that I went too hard on the bike. I am guessing the LTHR is lower than FTP since my goal on a 3 hours half Iron Bike ride right under the Lactate Threshold or 125 BPM HR whichever comes first.

So what is MAP?  I googled this and see it is defined as Maximum Aerobic Power.  The goal in half Iron Races is also to stay non-aerobic so Again I assume this is lower than FTP but it appears that it is a measure that is used to predict VO2max.  All I know about VO2max is that those intervals in the work out are 15-30% higher than the Threshold Power Intervals and always hurt.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-04-24 3:28 PM
2020-04-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Checking in!

There was a lot to catch up on. Sorry I missed the Zoom call. Timing is tough for the weeks I work, and when I am home with the kids. Maybe I can catch one in the future..

School officially announced they would be distance learning for the rest of this school year. So thats fun.

State parks near me are still open but the visitor centers and restrooms are closed. I took the kids to the park last weekend to complete some biodiversity homework and they had a forced hike with Dad.

Camp Seagull and Seafarer (my kids go, and I volunteer) are planning on opening this summer. Which honestly surprises me given where we are now. I guess we will see how NC slowly reopens. For now seems like we are closed till early May, and then phased return to normal. If summer camps open, I imagine races will be a go in NC. I am optimistic for fall races as I can't see them cancelling if schools are back in session, and I just don't want to think about distance learning to start off next year.

2020-04-25 3:14 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Checking in from the SC/GA border.

I took over another 115 students for a co-worker who went on maternity leave on April 1st, so it's been juuuuuust a little busy with 230 total. School board voted that any student who is passing each subject area for the quarter AND for the year on May 8th is DONE for the year. Looks like I have 5 who don't want to be done and my co-worker has 25. They'll have from May 11-22 to 'catch up' on the assignments they didn't do over the 5 weeks of "Learn from Home."

After 5 weeks of coughing and hacking, 2 rounds of antibiotics, and a round of prednisone, I am finally on the mend and have worked out for the past week. Joined in a local bike shops women's ride on Zwift today, which was a fun distraction.

Am SERIOUSLY wanting a gravel bike. On my 'dream' list would be a LiteSpeed, but my budget says no. Will likely be the proud owner of a Salsa Journeyman with an Apex 1x drivetrain in the next month or so.

Oh, and my crockpot has had more action in the last 3 weeks than it has had in 14 years of ownership.

Zink had surgery on both hind legs 19 days ago for luxating patellas. He's been SUCH a trooper and enjoys his 3-4 walks that are now 8-12 minutes in length each day. Otherwise, he's in his x-pen (which my husband calls "Thunderdome") snoozing the day away. We have 3 1/2 more weeks until our x-ray and possible return to normal.
2020-04-25 3:28 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by glfprncs

Checking in from the SC/GA border.

I took over another 115 students for a co-worker who went on maternity leave on April 1st, so it's been juuuuuust a little busy with 230 total. School board voted that any student who is passing each subject area for the quarter AND for the year on May 8th is DONE for the year. Looks like I have 5 who don't want to be done and my co-worker has 25. They'll have from May 11-22 to 'catch up' on the assignments they didn't do over the 5 weeks of "Learn from Home."

After 5 weeks of coughing and hacking, 2 rounds of antibiotics, and a round of prednisone, I am finally on the mend and have worked out for the past week. Joined in a local bike shops women's ride on Zwift today, which was a fun distraction.

Am SERIOUSLY wanting a gravel bike. On my 'dream' list would be a LiteSpeed, but my budget says no. Will likely be the proud owner of a Salsa Journeyman with an Apex 1x drivetrain in the next month or so.

Oh, and my crockpot has had more action in the last 3 weeks than it has had in 14 years of ownership.

Zink had surgery on both hind legs 19 days ago for luxating patellas. He's been SUCH a trooper and enjoys his 3-4 walks that are now 8-12 minutes in length each day. Otherwise, he's in his x-pen (which my husband calls "Thunderdome") snoozing the day away. We have 3 1/2 more weeks until our x-ray and possible return to normal.

Yay for the bike! And for a high number of students who will end their school year at the beginning of May. What subject do you teach? I am sorry, I don't remember....

Do you have any exciting recipies for the crockpot in action?
2020-04-25 3:32 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by lisac957

LOL! Watching the news today, there are protesters here in Georgia - people upset that the Governor opened non-essential businesses (even though not all that can are opening, so people are upset about that too). Drive-by protesting at the Governor's mansion and at the capital building. The news cameras are camped out at barber shops filming the lines of people since they are allowed to be open as of today. Hair cuts. 

I was wondering how many Manatees from Georgia our group has... Thank you for the update, I hope you and your family stay sane and healthy.
Were there any big protests pro opening, like in Michigan and Colorado? If not, I am wondering what made the Governor decide to start reopening. One paradox I found is protesters who want businesses closed are not wearing masks and adhering to distancing policies..
2020-04-25 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't think there have been any big protests here. Seem to recall there was maybe a drive-by protest in Salem (capital) on the local news, but it looked like mostly people in cars/trucks with signs. That being said, it's been pretty devastating for the local economy. Oregon's never really fully recovered from the end of the timber era, and now there are more homeless than ever; guessing that a lot of small businesses won't survive. We're a university town and with most of the students gone, most of them have lost huge chunk of their business. We're trying to regularly patronize a couple of our favorite family-run places to help keep them afloat.

I really do wish they would re-open beaches here. The Oregon beach experience isn't anything like California or Florida. It's nearly always too cold and windy to "lay out" or really do anything other than walk/run/collect driftwood. Nobody swims in the ocean, due to cold and high waves. Very little surfing action either. And a "crowded" day at our coast involves a few people/dogs every 100-200 yards at most. Surely we can manage to maintain social distancing and wear masks in the parking lots. Oregonians generally aren't that social anyway--those people move to California!

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-04-25 5:12 PM
2020-04-26 4:05 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
@marysia

I teach 8th grade ELA.

As for the crockpot, nothing has been healthy. I'm just trying to cook whatever my picky DH will eat.

He's given the thumbs up on:

Tater Tot Cassrole
Cowboy Casserole
Cheesy beef enchiladas
French Onion meatloaf

2020-04-26 9:14 PM
in reply to: #5269734

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Hey y'all.
Just a fly by posting to see how you're all holding up in these pressing times. I hope all are safe/sane.

Alaskatri, I've owned about 6 sets of aftershokz headphones. They are very good, but they do break. Bear in mind, I use mine about 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, and they tend to last about a year for me. The older models used to fatigue and snap at the back of the band. Newer models are weaker on the arms behind the ears. Haven't had a problem with the newest version yet. Always been replaced. FYI.
2020-04-27 6:41 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy MONDAY all.

I am starting to think that we need to post the day of the week here every day...

--

Nancy,

I'm sure that you are looking forward to setting 200 students loose. Thirty sounds better than 230 but then again, the remaining students are probably not best suited for distance learning.

I hope that you've finally turned the corner heath wise.

I'm also gravel-curious. I was hoping to get a gravel ride in this year but it's looking less likely. I need to find more places to take my cross bike to see if I want to replace it with a gravel bike.

Scritches to Zink. I hope that he's recovering well.

--

Regarding protesters, wasn't this what the preppers were prepping for?  I guess this is not apocalyptic enough?
--

DARREN!!!! 

2020-04-27 6:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Have any of you done the 80/20 plans?

I think that what I really want to do is train for 100k rides and a fall half marathon. This sounds a lot like a long course duathlon.  So I asked Endurance Nation but also googled long course du training plans and 80/20 popped to the top.

I'd b interested in any feedback that you might have.

2020-04-27 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

I think that what I really want to do is train for 100k rides and a fall half marathon. This sounds a lot like a long course duathlon.  So I asked Endurance Nation but also googled long course du training plans and 80/20 popped to the top.

I have! I used level 3 for Choo  70.3 2019 version.  I liked them excepts I felt like maybe the long bike was not long enough. Of course, with the issue I had not being able to breathe during the race last year I can't really say it was or wasn't.  I made the switch to tridot this go-round bc it seemed very similar to 80/20 but dangled the prospect of winning a NEO2 each week for 3 or 4 months! I didn't win. 

But getting back to the training, I have finally come around to the easy is easy and hard is hard and most of the workouts should be easy way of thinking, and both 80/20 and tridot really push that in the workouts.  If you use TPs your 8020 zones automatically get populated into the workouts.

2020-04-27 7:11 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I have! I used level 3 for Choo  70.3 2019 version.  I liked them excepts I felt like maybe the long bike was not long enough. Of course, with the issue I had not being able to breathe during the race last year I can't really say it was or wasn't.  I made the switch to tridot this go-round bc it seemed very similar to 80/20 but dangled the prospect of winning a NEO2 each week for 3 or 4 months! I didn't win. 

But getting back to the training, I have finally come around to the easy is easy and hard is hard and most of the workouts should be easy way of thinking, and both 80/20 and tridot really push that in the workouts.  If you use TPs your 8020 zones automatically get populated into the workouts.

Good to know!  You already answered my follow-up question which was what level. I got the book on Kindle and it seemed that Level 2 sounded right but when I looked at the actual plan, it didn't seem to suit me as well. I like more volume than that.

Did you actual buy the plan or just use the book?

2020-04-27 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good to know!  You already answered my follow-up question which was what level. I got the book on Kindle and it seemed that Level 2 sounded right but when I looked at the actual plan, it didn't seem to suit me as well. I like more volume than that.

I bought the plan via TP.  As i recall their website has a lot of good information to go along with the plan and if you buy it at one level and think that was not the right one they will switch you. At least that was the deal when i used it, i assume it's still that way.

2020-04-27 7:15 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I bought the plan via TP.  As i recall their website has a lot of good information to go along with the plan and if you buy it at one level and think that was not the right one they will switch you. At least that was the deal when i used it, i assume it's still that way.

Yeah, it said something about "level guarantee." 

Thanks!

2020-04-27 10:32 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What?!  No Manatees at today's meetup

2020-04-27 10:35 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

What?!  No Manatees at today's meetup

Looking for link!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127