BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-05-18 10:14 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Proof Of Life. Great news from my cardiologist as of Wednesday's catheterization. There were no significant blockages, nothing over 30%, and no build up in the one pre-existing stent. He says that I am free to return to strenuous exercise. My primary care physician is prescribing prevacid as an attempt to determine whether I have been subject to gerd or perhaps an ulcer. I'm pretty happy with that. I would love to do a manatee gather sometime next year. Just for group consideration, the geographic center of the contiguous United States is in the middle of Kansas. Perhaps we should look at something in that general area? Hopefully, we're talking about something in the Sprint / Olympic area, as opposed to the IM's that all you crazy people do

Thanks for popping in, Mike, and what great news from the cardiologist!  Now you can get back to being active.

2020-05-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy Monday!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

I think I'll miss today.  They need to replace my work computer (shudder) in early afternoon so I need to get done (and saved and backed-up) what I can before that time.  Happy meeting!

2020-05-18 5:18 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

We've all been getting emails from Strava about changes it is making to the platform and today, the biggest change/s came. DC RAinmaker's article explains it in much more detail than i could. But, even after reading that I'm not sure how it will affect me! Those of you who like segments, leaderboards, and building routes will have to pay going forward. That's my take away.

2020-05-19 11:00 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

We've all been getting emails from Strava about changes it is making to the platform and today, the biggest change/s came. DC RAinmaker's article explains it in much more detail than i could. But, even after reading that I'm not sure how it will affect me! Those of you who like segments, leaderboards, and building routes will have to pay going forward. That's my take away.

My way of dealing with it is to wait and see if i notice any changes.
2020-05-19 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Here is the unvarnished truth about Internet based companies. If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product. So, while I may not be paying for a product, the people in charge of that product have figured out how to make money off of my membership. Strava may not have found a way to leverage their data as well as hoped, thus the push for subscribers. My solution is pretty simple and it involves the words good and bye. I was riding a bike in 1984, no data, no tracking, no worries. I can easily do it again.

Probably not the answer for the competitive and the data-centric. But if it comes down to that, it will work fine for me.

2020-05-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

My way of dealing with it is to wait and see if i notice any changes.

I haven't noticed anything. I have migrated away from their route builder and I don't segment hunt so no biggie. I may well stumble upon some application that uses their API but so far, nada.

2020-05-19 11:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Here is the unvarnished truth about Internet based companies. If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product. So, while I may not be paying for a product, the people in charge of that product have figured out how to make money off of my membership. Strava may not have found a way to leverage their data as well as hoped, thus the push for subscribers. My solution is pretty simple and it involves the words good and bye. I was riding a bike in 1984, no data, no tracking, no worries. I can easily do it again.

Probably not the answer for the competitive and the data-centric. But if it comes down to that, it will work fine for me.

It's just been a fun way to see what other people are doing. 

2020-05-19 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

thats what I use it for mostly.
2020-05-19 7:08 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ceilidh

thats what I use it for mostly.

When I first joined it was described as Facebook for athletes.
2020-05-19 9:07 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, miracle of miracles, I got a response from IM, but I expect it is just an automated one. Just repeated the options, which did not include deferral to Calgary 2021. No explanation why, or why this is contrary to the policy explicitly stated on their website.

Still not sure what to do. Short of a miracle (a complete die-down in virus cases, or an effective vaccine administered to me), I have no intention of doing any of the offered events this year. Just no time to deal with it right now. Will look up info about Washington, I guess, on the off chance that maybe it will be cancelled and I could then defer till next year. It wouldn't be my first choice of events, but I guess I'd prefer it over a full IM at CDA. Ugh.
2020-05-20 6:17 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of 2020 Races, a group out of Tennessee is doing races this year.  They have approval from the local authorities and all that jazz.

Endurance Sports Management just received approval from Fall Creek Falls State Park and supervisors of the TN State Park system to hold our triathlons on Saturday, August 15th and runs on Sunday, August 16th.  We will be moving ahead to get ready for Fall Creek Falls, also Sept. 13 Goose Pond / Frantic Frog Triathlons in Scottsboro, AL and our October 3rd & 4th Atomic events at Melton Hill Dan, Lenoir City, TN. Each event day will be limited to 300 participants with safety steps as outlined in our Event Precaution Overview.

Um, no, just... no. Not for me.

It looks like they more or less copied and pasted the USAT event stuff into their document (PDF)

2020-05-20 9:54 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Speaking of 2020 Races, a group out of Tennessee is doing races this year.  They have approval from the local authorities and all that jazz.

Endurance Sports Management just received approval from Fall Creek Falls State Park and supervisors of the TN State Park system to hold our triathlons on Saturday, August 15th and runs on Sunday, August 16th.  We will be moving ahead to get ready for Fall Creek Falls, also Sept. 13 Goose Pond / Frantic Frog Triathlons in Scottsboro, AL and our October 3rd & 4th Atomic events at Melton Hill Dan, Lenoir City, TN. Each event day will be limited to 300 participants with safety steps as outlined in our Event Precaution Overview.

It looks like they more or less copied and pasted the USAT event stuff into their document (PDF)

HELL NO.

regarding Strava, I've always used ridewithgps.com for their route builder and it's awesome. And free. :D
2020-05-20 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I am not in the least bit surprised that TN and AL are ok with this! I'm just surprised FL hasn't green-lighted races too Our LRS puts on many events during the year and is waiting to figure out whether the July 4th race is a go. I know they are also trying to come up with a plan to make it "safe" if we get to the stage where groups of more than 10 are allowed to gather or if the GOvernor decides regardless of what he has put out as max group size, sporting events/races are ok.  I will not be racing regardless.

2020-05-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

HELL NO. regarding Strava, I've always used ridewithgps.com for their route builder and it's awesome. And free. :D

Speaking of Ride with GPS -- do most of you use that for route planning?  That's what I've been using but I'm looking at Komoot and it seems kind of nice as well.  I certainly like that it's a one time payment versus a subscription. It also seems to filter on "gravel" versus road or touring.  I'll defer to gravel folks regarding the accuracy of that...

2020-05-20 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

HELL NO. regarding Strava, I've always used ridewithgps.com for their route builder and it's awesome. And free. :D

Speaking of Ride with GPS -- do most of you use that for route planning?  That's what I've been using but I'm looking at Komoot and it seems kind of nice as well.  I certainly like that it's a one time payment versus a subscription. It also seems to filter on "gravel" versus road or touring.  I'll defer to gravel folks regarding the accuracy of that...

I can't speak to Komoot, but I have had good luck with Ride With GPS. The only filter I have been able to find is not a surface or cycling type, but rather if someone puts "gravel" in the description or title. They do have "Cyclocross" as a category in the "Recommended for" section, but not a specific gravel filter. I imagine it's coming though.

2020-05-20 11:04 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Illinois

I can't speak to Komoot, but I have had good luck with Ride With GPS. The only filter I have been able to find is not a surface or cycling type, but rather if someone puts "gravel" in the description or title. They do have "Cyclocross" as a category in the "Recommended for" section, but not a specific gravel filter. I imagine it's coming though.

I'm not familiar with Komoot but also use RideWithGPS. I'm usually the route organizer for the group I ride with and have had good luck finding out-of-the-way routes and modifying those to suit our plans. Another tool that I have found useful is to download PDF maps that are put out by IDOT and get a feel for where the "unmaintained" roads are.

2020-05-20 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I use route planner Kathy Black Seriously, when we trained for IM Choo together she designed our rides bc she knows all the routes everywhere! Since then if I'm riding solo i just use those routes as a guide and then use mapmyride to confirm distance.

2020-05-20 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I use route planner Kathy Black Seriously, when we trained for IM Choo together she designed our rides bc she knows all the routes everywhere! Since then if I'm riding solo i just use those routes as a guide and then use mapmyride to confirm distance.

she needs to come up here and design my rides!!!
2020-05-20 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
My kids came up with new entertainment with their time social distancing for COVID. They mapped out and walked a marathon today. It was low key with snacks and breaks. They had a good time together. I ran 7 miles to catch them and finished the walk with them. Michelle and the dog joined us for a couple of miles. I think they had enough of staying in. Plus both of them were at Michigan State, which is a walking campus. It's 2.5 miles wide and every thing is referenced by how long it takes to walk to it. I think after being so active, then limited for two months they needed to get out and enjoy the sunshine.
2020-05-20 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Wow--that's impressive! I've walked 25-30 miles a couple of times in my life (mostly hiking, plus some epic exploratory type walks when traveling) and honestly felt it was harder than a marathon, even when I was in good run shape. Maybe because it's so much longer on one's feet. Every time the bottoms of my feet really swelled up--not blisters but accumulating fluid underneath the soles. Kind of gross and somewhat painful for the next few days. That has never happened after running a marathon, only very mildly after full IM. Might want to suggest they ice their feet! Or maybe this is just a weird physical quirk of mine.
2020-05-21 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I am not in the least bit surprised that TN and AL are ok with this! I'm just surprised FL hasn't green-lighted races too Our LRS puts on many events during the year and is waiting to figure out whether the July 4th race is a go. I know they are also trying to come up with a plan to make it "safe" if we get to the stage where groups of more than 10 are allowed to gather or if the GOvernor decides regardless of what he has put out as max group size, sporting events/races are ok.  I will not be racing regardless.

Today's Washington Post warns:

Dallas, Houston, Southeast Florida’s Gold Coast, the entire state of Alabama and several other places in the South that have been rapidly reopening their economies are in danger of a second wave of coronavirus infections over the next four weeks, according to a research team that uses cellphone data to track social mobility and forecast the trajectory of the pandemic.

Coronavirus hot spots erupt across the country; experts warn of second wave in South

(Don't worry, Raleigh was on the "good" list in the article: Some communities seem to be abiding better by social distancing, Rubin said. They include Denver, Colorado Springs, Columbus, Ohio, and the Research Triangle of North Carolina, all of which look good in the new forecast.)

2020-05-21 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella My kids came up with new entertainment with their time social distancing for COVID. They mapped out and walked a marathon today. It was low key with snacks and breaks. They had a good time together. I ran 7 miles to catch them and finished the walk with them. Michelle and the dog joined us for a couple of miles. I think they had enough of staying in. Plus both of them were at Michigan State, which is a walking campus. It's 2.5 miles wide and every thing is referenced by how long it takes to walk to it. I think after being so active, then limited for two months they needed to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

That's kind of a cool all day activity.

What is this sunshine that you speak of?!

2020-05-21 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella My kids came up with new entertainment with their time social distancing for COVID. They mapped out and walked a marathon today. It was low key with snacks and breaks. They had a good time together. I ran 7 miles to catch them and finished the walk with them. Michelle and the dog joined us for a couple of miles. I think they had enough of staying in. Plus both of them were at Michigan State, which is a walking campus. It's 2.5 miles wide and every thing is referenced by how long it takes to walk to it. I think after being so active, then limited for two months they needed to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

That's really nice that you all could join in! 

2020-05-21 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Dallas, Houston, Southeast Florida’s Gold Coast, the entire state of Alabama and several other places in the South that have been rapidly reopening their economies are in danger of a second wave of coronavirus infections over the next four weeks, according to a research team that uses cellphone data to track social mobility and forecast the trajectory of the pandemic.

Coronavirus hot spots erupt across the country; experts warn of second wave in South

(Don't worry, Raleigh was on the "good" list in the article: Some communities seem to be abiding better by social distancing, Rubin said. They include Denver, Colorado Springs, Columbus, Ohio, and the Research Triangle of North Carolina, all of which look good in the new forecast.)

Don't worry about Florida, we've decided not to accurately report cases so we'll be fine

2020-05-21 7:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Don't worry about Florida, we've decided not to accurately report cases so we'll be fine

Awesome! Good to know!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127