BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-05-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by amd723

Don't worry about Florida, we've decided not to accurately report cases so we'll be fine

Hahaha this made me laugh 

2020-05-21 9:55 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by lisac957

Don't worry about Florida, we've decided not to accurately report cases so we'll be fine

Me too - hahahahaha 

#covidhumor 

2020-05-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by juniperjen

Me too - hahahahaha 

#covidhumor 

Me three. Redefining 4he term "ignorance is bliss".
2020-05-21 10:27 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Would be funny except that it could be true!
2020-05-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Hot RunnerWould be funny except that it could be true!
Pretty sure it is!
2020-05-21 12:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

Speaking of 2020 Races, a group out of Tennessee is doing races this year.  They have approval from the local authorities and all that jazz.

Endurance Sports Management just received approval from Fall Creek Falls State Park and supervisors of the TN State Park system to hold our triathlons on Saturday, August 15th and runs on Sunday, August 16th.  We will be moving ahead to get ready for Fall Creek Falls, also Sept. 13 Goose Pond / Frantic Frog Triathlons in Scottsboro, AL and our October 3rd & 4th Atomic events at Melton Hill Dan, Lenoir City, TN. Each event day will be limited to 300 participants with safety steps as outlined in our Event Precaution Overview.

Um, no, just... no. Not for me.

It looks like they more or less copied and pasted the USAT event stuff into their document (PDF)

I am not in the least bit surprised that TN and AL are ok with this! I'm just surprised FL hasn't green-lighted races too Our LRS puts on many events during the year and is waiting to figure out whether the July 4th race is a go. I know they are also trying to come up with a plan to make it "safe" if we get to the stage where groups of more than 10 are allowed to gather or if the GOvernor decides regardless of what he has put out as max group size, sporting events/races are ok.  I will not be racing regardless.

Today's Washington Post warns:

Dallas, Houston, Southeast Florida’s Gold Coast, the entire state of Alabama and several other places in the South that have been rapidly reopening their economies are in danger of a second wave of coronavirus infections over the next four weeks, according to a research team that uses cellphone data to track social mobility and forecast the trajectory of the pandemic.

Coronavirus hot spots erupt across the country; experts warn of second wave in South

(Don't worry, Raleigh was on the "good" list in the article: Some communities seem to be abiding better by social distancing, Rubin said. They include Denver, Colorado Springs, Columbus, Ohio, and the Research Triangle of North Carolina, all of which look good in the new forecast.)

Sweet! So I don't have to worry about Challenge Daytona in December as all the Florida cases will be gone?

Proof of life post - I just turned in grades and level ups (we do ability levels in my district, not grade levels) for the last time ever!! Leaving in a bit to go to school so kids can turn in instruments and Chromebooks. We've been there all week for 4 hours each day and we've only collect 125 Chromebooks out of about 650. I've only receive 23 instruments out of my 175 that I gave out this year.

Tomorrow I turn in my keys and I am done! Well until August when I have to go back and unpack all the boxes in my former room, looking for my own personal stuff. They had transportation come in and pack our rooms. They unpacked boxes and repacked them, mixing up all of my stuff with school stuff. We're still not allowed into our rooms so this will have to wait.

2020-05-21 12:21 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo

Speaking of 2020 Races, a group out of Tennessee is doing races this year.  They have approval from the local authorities and all that jazz.

Endurance Sports Management just received approval from Fall Creek Falls State Park and supervisors of the TN State Park system to hold our triathlons on Saturday, August 15th and runs on Sunday, August 16th.  We will be moving ahead to get ready for Fall Creek Falls, also Sept. 13 Goose Pond / Frantic Frog Triathlons in Scottsboro, AL and our October 3rd & 4th Atomic events at Melton Hill Dan, Lenoir City, TN. Each event day will be limited to 300 participants with safety steps as outlined in our Event Precaution Overview.

Um, no, just... no. Not for me.

It looks like they more or less copied and pasted the USAT event stuff into their document (PDF)

I am not in the least bit surprised that TN and AL are ok with this! I'm just surprised FL hasn't green-lighted races too Our LRS puts on many events during the year and is waiting to figure out whether the July 4th race is a go. I know they are also trying to come up with a plan to make it "safe" if we get to the stage where groups of more than 10 are allowed to gather or if the GOvernor decides regardless of what he has put out as max group size, sporting events/races are ok.  I will not be racing regardless.

Dallas, Houston, Southeast Florida’s Gold Coast, the entire state of Alabama and several other places in the South that have been rapidly reopening their economies are in danger of a second wave of coronavirus infections over the next four weeks, according to a research team that uses cellphone data to track social mobility and forecast the trajectory of the pandemic.

Coronavirus hot spots erupt across the country; experts warn of second wave in South

(Don't worry, Raleigh was on the "good" list in the article: Some communities seem to be abiding better by social distancing, Rubin said. They include Denver, Colorado Springs, Columbus, Ohio, and the Research Triangle of North Carolina, all of which look good in the new forecast.)

Sweet! So I don't have to worry about Challenge Daytona in December as all the Florida cases will be gone? Proof of life post - I just turned in grades and level ups (we do ability levels in my district, not grade levels) for the last time ever!! Leaving in a bit to go to school so kids can turn in instruments and Chromebooks. We've been there all week for 4 hours each day and we've only collect 125 Chromebooks out of about 650. I've only receive 23 instruments out of my 175 that I gave out this year. Tomorrow I turn in my keys and I am done! Well until August when I have to go back and unpack all the boxes in my former room, looking for my own personal stuff. They had transportation come in and pack our rooms. They unpacked boxes and repacked them, mixing up all of my stuff with school stuff. We're still not allowed into our rooms so this will have to wait.

Woo Hoo! Congratulations on retirement!! 

2020-05-21 12:45 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

....I was riding a bike in 1984, no data, no tracking, no worries. I can easily do it again.

Probably not the answer for the competitive and the data-centric. But if it comes down to that, it will work fine for me.

Yep...I don't need to pay for something that I can live without.  I would rather save my money for more bike gear than more run data. I like to run the hand calculations on a lot of the data anyways.

2020-05-21 12:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas

So...Should I go to Dallas on Monday to see my parents.  I missed my brother's 40th Birthday Part in March and my mom's 65 birthday part in April due to our precautions for Corona Virus.  I was hoping that phase 1 of reopening would be safe to see immediate family.  I didn't read the article what are they recommending?

2020-05-21 1:41 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

So...Should I go to Dallas on Monday to see my parents.  I missed my brother's 40th Birthday Part in March and my mom's 65 birthday part in April due to our precautions for Corona Virus.  I was hoping that phase 1 of reopening would be safe to see immediate family.  I didn't read the article what are they recommending?

No real recommendations but extra precautions seem advisable.

Researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center said last week that cases in the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area could spike this summer, with a tripling of daily active cases of covid-19, the disease the novel coronavirus causes, if there is a significant easing of mitigation efforts. And PolicyLab projects that in the next month, Harris County, which includes Houston, will go from a couple hundred cases a day to more than 2,000.

2020-05-21 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My guess is it would depend on what you have been doing as far as social contacts/distancing, what your parents have been doing, whether there's any big possibility for exposure during travel (i.e. dining in crowded restaurants or staying in hotels), and whether you/your parents have underlying medical conditions that might increase risk. If you haven't really been in any situations where you had a good chance of being exposed, and neither have your parents, then it *should be* relatively safe. I'd probably trust family more than random friends (except really close ones, maybe) or colleagues from work where you don't really know what their exposure (or their family members' exposure) in the community has been. Just thinking at this point if I had good friends or relatives that I knew (as families) had been following guidelines at least to the degree of strictness that I have, I'd be comfortable with meeting them in a small-group situation, preferably outdoors and maintaining 6 feet of distance. I would NOT be comfortable with something like a crowded restaurant, athletic event, or church service, where you don't personally know everyone and have no idea what steps, if any, they have taken to control their exposure to disease, or what their current health and hygiene habits are like.

Our local transmission rates have consistently been very low and steady (we currently have only 5 or 6 active cases, only 66 total out of more than 8,000 tests and over 350,000 people). I think this is mainly due to low density, relatively little use of public transport, few college students on campus, and a general preference for outdoor over indoor activities, regardless of the pandemic. New cases haven't stopped for more than about a week at a time, but over the past 2+ months we have averaged 1-5 new cases a week, with most of those being traced to family members, contact with other known cases, or travel from cities with more widespread outbreaks. My thoughts might be different if I (or family/friends) lived somewhere where there was a lot more community spread.

2020-05-21 6:21 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ceilidh

Me too - hahahahaha 

#covidhumor 

That had us laughing.
To quote the commander of the Michigan State Police "you can't regulate stupid."

We had some craziness today as our local numbers have doubled in the last two weeks. Our governor allowed groups of up to 10 people statewide today. The restaurants interpreted that as they can set up picnic tables outside and make that "curbside" service. The EO was issues at 10 and when I left my civil office to go to my prosecutor's office at noon the Big Boy (Elias Brothers, Shoneys, Bob's Big Boy pick your regional name) had 10 picnic tables with table clothes and condiment stands.
By 12:30 I had a firestorm of calls. The health department starting with that's not a violation of the EO and then backtracking to it's a violation of the EO, but they won't enforce. Leaving the police and me to figure out what to do with it. As everyone and their brother is coming North for the Holiday Weekend. The hotels and campgrounds are still closed, so I don't know where they are staying.
We decided to enforce the rule. Make sure they have individual groups under 10, they are 6+ feet apart, employees where masks, and not to issue a citation unless someone acts like a . Please say a prayer for me to make it through this weekend.

2020-05-21 8:19 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No joke. I pray for you. I have lived in/visited a lot of countries in my life, and really have trouble envisioning people elsewhere getting violent or pulling out a weapon when told to do something to protect their health. Maybe some places like Afghanistan or the Congo where people have been through constant warfare and may be traumatized and trigger-happy. I know in Africa there were attacks on health workers during Ebola and such. But not a single other so-called "developed" country. We are really "special".
2020-05-22 6:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by ceilidh

Me too - hahahahaha 

#covidhumor 

That had us laughing. To quote the commander of the Michigan State Police "you can't regulate stupid." We had some craziness today as our local numbers have doubled in the last two weeks. Our governor allowed groups of up to 10 people statewide today. The restaurants interpreted that as they can set up picnic tables outside and make that "curbside" service. The EO was issues at 10 and when I left my civil office to go to my prosecutor's office at noon the Big Boy (Elias Brothers, Shoneys, Bob's Big Boy pick your regional name) had 10 picnic tables with table clothes and condiment stands. By 12:30 I had a firestorm of calls. The health department starting with that's not a violation of the EO and then backtracking to it's a violation of the EO, but they won't enforce. Leaving the police and me to figure out what to do with it. As everyone and their brother is coming North for the Holiday Weekend. The hotels and campgrounds are still closed, so I don't know where they are staying. We decided to enforce the rule. Make sure they have individual groups under 10, they are 6+ feet apart, employees where masks, and not to issue a citation unless someone acts like a . Please say a prayer for me to make it through this weekend.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this, Jim.  Like Michigan, NC has a lot of rules but there has been a lot of push back on enforcement.  The thing is, the people who are clamoring to "reopen" seem to be the least likely to follow the rules and the most likely to cause another flare up.  You want to reopen? Then wear the damn mask. You want to reopen? Stand apart from those outside your household.

Have you seen this Covid Crush model? It's interesting to play with. What if half the people did the social distancing thing? What if most people socially distanced but some people saw their 5 closest friends? What if I only see one friend?

https://apl.wisc.edu/covid

edited to make link clickable

Edited by jmkizer 2020-05-22 6:55 AM
2020-05-22 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Since Monday is Memorial Day here in the US, how would you feel about moving the Manatee Meetup to Tuesday?

2020-05-22 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I tried to book a hotel for the Chattanooga 70.3 next May.  No joy.  I set up a free alert at https://www.hotelalerts.app/.  I'm trying for the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn downtown (easy walk to transition). I also one of the Residence Inn on the alert but I think the price might make me want to pass out ;-)

2020-05-22 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I tried to book a hotel for the Chattanooga 70.3 next May.  No joy.  I set up a free alert at https://www.hotelalerts.app/.  I'm trying for the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn downtown (easy walk to transition). I also one of the Residence Inn on the alert but I think the price might make me want to pass out ;-)

[/QUOTEWell heck! I had it on my to do list for tomorrow!
2020-05-22 8:21 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella My kids came up with new entertainment with their time social distancing for COVID. They mapped out and walked a marathon today. It was low key with snacks and breaks. They had a good time together. I ran 7 miles to catch them and finished the walk with them. Michelle and the dog joined us for a couple of miles. I think they had enough of staying in. Plus both of them were at Michigan State, which is a walking campus. It's 2.5 miles wide and every thing is referenced by how long it takes to walk to it. I think after being so active, then limited for two months they needed to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

Wow, that's great!  How nice for the whole family (and dog, too!) to be involved.  It must make you proud your kids chose to do this.

2020-05-22 8:26 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

So they were already booked or the prices are astronomical?

2020-05-22 8:33 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Both.  They are booked (or blocked, did not come up when I searched) and the prices are typically scary high.  I tried for Friday, May 21 through Monday, May 24.

I tried booking directly through Hilton and then though the hotelalerts search function.

2020-05-22 8:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Have an awesome long weekend. Our over here in Canada (not all that far from Jim) we had ours last weekend. 

I have not been running or biking but just about to finish a Beach Body strength program - 21 Day Fix. Mulling over what's next but i think i am going to keep up with the strength a bit longer - it feels like the thing I always mean to do but there's is always the next race to train for. I keep reading about it's benefits for all but especially for aging women so spending some dedicated time doesn't hurt too much, i hope. This is the time with my HIM deferred to next year - i don't think i would choose to race the rest of the year even if it were possible. 

We brought my parents in to help out with the kids two weeks ago. They are now in our 'circle' and coming 4 days a week- this has made life nicer - it's busy having 6 people in our house but also trying to be grateful for this - since this situation is unlikely to change for the foreseeable future. under our 'emergency orders' we can bring in babysitters ... which is kind of funny so my parents are here as 'babysitters' - which is immensely helpful to us! 

Edited by juniperjen 2020-05-22 9:00 AM

2020-05-22 9:11 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Have an awesome long weekend. Our over here in Canada (not all that far from Jim) we had ours last weekend. 

I have not been running or biking but just about to finish a Beach Body strength program - 21 Day Fix. Mulling over what's next but i think i am going to keep up with the strength a bit longer - it feels like the thing I always mean to do but there's is always the next race to train for. I keep reading about it's benefits for all but especially for aging women so spending some dedicated time doesn't hurt too much, i hope. This is the time with my HIM deferred to next year - i don't think i would choose to race the rest of the year even if it were possible. 

We brought my parents in to help out with the kids two weeks ago. They are now in our 'circle' and coming 4 days a week- this has made life nicer - it's busy having 6 people in our house but also trying to be grateful for this - since this situation is unlikely to change for the foreseeable future. under our 'emergency orders' we can bring in babysitters ... which is kind of funny so my parents are here as 'babysitters' - which is immensely helpful to us! 

I'm glad that you found a way to make this work a bit better for you.

2020-05-22 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Both.  They are booked (or blocked, did not come up when I searched) and the prices are typically scary high.  I tried for Friday, May 21 through Monday, May 24.

I tried booking directly through Hilton and then though the hotelalerts search function.

Marriott won't let you book that far out yet. May 7th is the farthest date i can see.

2020-05-22 9:53 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I hope that every one in the US has a safe and relaxing memorial day weekend.

Tuesday is good for me for the meetup, J - thanks.

Stay healthy all!
2020-05-22 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Since Monday is Memorial Day here in the US, how would you feel about moving the Manatee Meetup to Tuesday?

I won't be able to do Tuesday, but I understand the need to move it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127