BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by cdban66

Gators are yummy.  Okay, that may not be what you are looking for. They and not often seen on the trails. The first person usually scares them off and the rest of us are fine. Or the first person gets eaten and the gator is full. The rest of us are fine. Either way   

This is amazing! :D

This is why I was so willing to ride my bike through the water crossing this weekend that is generally watched by a 9 ft gator.  I never gave it a second thought. I was late in the event, so I gotta figure he was gone or full. 

2019-01-08 2:32 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by melbo55

A few RAGNAR questions:

Gators?

Boars?

Gaiters (feet, not neck)?

Typical Dec. 6, 7 temperatures in that part of FL?

Edited to specify gaiters for what body area

Gators are yummy.  Okay, that may not be what you are looking for. They and not often seen on the trails. The first person usually scares them off and the rest of us are fine. Or the first person gets eaten and the gator is full. The rest of us are fine. Either way   Boars also scare easily and run away. Most wildlife in this area is skittish. I have a video in my youtube of me riding up on a pair of gators. As soon as the brakes squeak, they turn and slide into the water. I've told them to leave when I meet them on the trails and they leave pretty quickly. Most of us are too big for them to try to eat, so they leave. Quite honestly, the wildlife of that size is the least of your worries. Ann and I will be fighting mosquitos and such.

I have never worn gaiters so I am probably no help.

December is usually cold for Floridians like me. 50 - 60 ish, although I have seen 30-40 that time of year as well. It rained last year, which is out of the ordinary. I can give 99.99% guarantee that there will be no snow.

Ha ha ha, I love your comments about gators!  Another 'pro' for being 'slow' - the faster racers will either be a snack or scare them off, either way I'm good! 

Are the mosquitoes still active that time of year?  I guess if the temp is 50-60 ish, yeah, I suppose they would still be flying about.  I'm not sure of their cold tolerance or the cutoff temp for their activity level.  Little jerks.

You realize you've just conjured a December Florida blizzard by saying you are 99.99% sure of no snow, right?

2019-01-08 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by IronOx
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by jmkizer

Hey y'all. Just got finished with Piggy's, it was a wet fest. We bailed on a couple of pieces, it was just too much mud. 32.5 miles worth of a 40 miler. I'm good with that. Here's how wet it was, at one of the water crossings, I was nearly up to the top bar on my 29'r. The guy on the fat tire bike behind us went down and actually was under water for a moment. Fully submerged.

The real reason for my post is to clear up the Jogo Challenge a bit. I think we'll roll it out after we close up the group. I do have a link to the preliminary Google Spreadsheet for the challenge in my logs. If you have any feedback on it, hit me up and we'll adjust whatever we can. 

YIKES! That's quite a water crossing!

I think that we should start the JoGo challenge next Monday if folks are good with that. I know that Stacey has some special requirements on when it is acceptable to start a challenge:

Regarding closing the group, I don't have any thoughts on the timing. I just wanted to update the roster and the Strava group while I had time. Stuff may hit the fan at work soon...

Currently we are set to begin on 1/14/2019. If anyone wants to take a look at it, we have 4 separate challenges, one weight based, one eating based, one based on moving and a fourth based on distance traveled. So anyone can do one or more of the challenges if they so desire. We may be able to come up with a prize for winning each challenge. I may be able to get my hands on a 2019 Piggy's Revenge tech shirt or some other cool swag like beer bottle openers or coozies or some such awesomeness. So feel free to start planning your next 6 or 7 weeks of training!

JoGo Manatee Challenge

I'll be in them all and I'll do my best to convert everything correctly to your crazy US measurements. You really should change to the metric system its much simpler
I agree with that last statement 110%.

I'm not sure if you've heard, but our government is currently shut down. Now we be a perfect time for a hostile takeover of the US measurement system!

Yeah what's with the government shut down thing? How does that even happen? Is it a budget thing?
If government workers here weren't getting paid then EVERYTHING would shut down and the government would most likely be removed. I guess that's the bonus of having a Governor General that sits above the Prime Minister.
2019-01-08 3:40 PM

User image

Master

Hey y'all. Just got finished with Piggy's, it was a wet fest. We bailed on a couple of pieces, it was just too much mud. 32.5 miles worth of a 40 miler. I'm good with that. Here's how wet it was, at one of the water crossings, I was nearly up to the top bar on my 29'r. The guy on the fat tire bike behind us went down and actually was under water for a moment. Fully submerged.

The real reason for my post is to clear up the Jogo Challenge a bit. I think we'll roll it out after we close up the group. I do have a link to the preliminary Google Spreadsheet for the challenge in my logs. If you have any feedback on it, hit me up and we'll adjust whatever we can. 

I think that we should start the JoGo challenge next Monday if folks are good with that. I know that Stacey has some special requirements on when it is acceptable to start a challenge:

Regarding closing the group, I don't have any thoughts on the timing. I just wanted to update the roster and the Strava group while I had time. Stuff may hit the fan at work soon...

Currently we are set to begin on 1/14/2019. If anyone wants to take a look at it, we have 4 separate challenges, one weight based, one eating based, one based on moving and a fourth based on distance traveled. So anyone can do one or more of the challenges if they so desire. We may be able to come up with a prize for winning each challenge. I may be able to get my hands on a 2019 Piggy's Revenge tech shirt or some other cool swag like beer bottle openers or coozies or some such awesomeness. So feel free to start planning your next 6 or 7 weeks of training!

JoGo Manatee Challenge

I'll be in them all and I'll do my best to convert everything correctly to your crazy US measurements. You really should change to the metric system its much simpler

I'm not sure if you've heard, but our government is currently shut down. Now we be a perfect time for a hostile takeover of the US measurement system!

Ha!  That's a good idea.  But at the same time, y'all got enough to deal with, so maybe I'll just hold off on that....

2019-01-08 3:45 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

JoGo Manatee Challenge

Yeah what's with the government shut down thing? How does that even happen? Is it a budget thing? If government workers here weren't getting paid then EVERYTHING would shut down and the government would most likely be removed. I guess that's the bonus of having a Governor General that sits above the Prime Minister.

and again, I agree 110% 

2019-01-09 9:32 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello all, we are getting closer to kicking off the Jogo Challenge. A few housekeeping items on this. The goal here is to encourage you to work through the early part of the year and prepare yourself to enter next race season lean & mean!

The rules:

1. Admin will make a shared google sheet with target goals by week. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ceMf8W9oB3piW2e9nUXrL7qmFJ8jteUl02gHmwU9Ds4/edit?usp=sharing
  2. Declare your goal (lose, maintain, improve eating habits in some measurable/trackable way, etc.)
  3. Everyone reports weekly to the Google Spreadsheet (Monday morning check ins). We are on the honor system, but in any given week, the admin(me or Janyne) can ask for a update.
  4. We may even ask for photographic evidence!

That last statement (threat?) will probably only be used in extreme cases! Or, I'll post pictures of myself for comic relief 

2019-01-09 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hello all, we are getting closer to kicking off the Jogo Challenge. A few housekeeping items on this. The goal here is to encourage you to work through the early part of the year and prepare yourself to enter next race season lean & mean!

The rules:

1. Admin will make a shared google sheet with target goals by week. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ceMf8W9oB3piW2e9nUXrL7qmFJ8jteUl02gHmwU9Ds4/edit?usp=sharing
  2. Declare your goal (lose, maintain, improve eating habits in some measurable/trackable way, etc.)
  3. Everyone reports weekly to the Google Spreadsheet (Monday morning check ins). We are on the honor system, but in any given week, the admin(me or Janyne) can ask for a update.

That last statement (threat?) will probably only be used in extreme cases! Or, I'll post pictures of myself for comic relief 

Thanks for doing this. It is the kick in the pants that I need. However, I will only ever post pictures of scenery, my dog, or my cats.

2019-01-09 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

The rules:

I really need this; I've been such a slug through the fall, and I'm having a hard time getting going again. Thanks for setting this up!
I've not done this before though....when do we start?
2019-01-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
NAME: Karl Hanson

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava and Instagram (kbhanson3 there too)

STORY: I ventured into the multisport in 2012 and have done several sprints & Oly's since. Last year after St. Anthony's I decided to take a (permanent?) hiatus from running (my wife telling me for the 47th time that I'm just not built to be a runner might have finally sunk in). But I still enjoy swimming and cycling so I plan to continue along with Aquabikes. Originally, my motivation was weight loss, which is still a motivating factor, but now it's more about general fitness and enjoying outdoor activities.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (DD 19 & DS 16) and 1 dog

CURRENT TRAINING: 2018 was a lazy year for me post-St. Anthony's. Since May, my "training" can only be described as maintenance work at best. I will be starting a swim training plan to boost my endurance later this month after returning from a short trip next week. I still need to find a plan to build endurance on the bike.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Shooting for a HI Aquabike in the fall.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Being part of a group with folks who have similar interests, motivations and goals helps me stay focused.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I aspire to be a good Manatee (certainly a better one than I was last year!) by participating in the group discussions more regularly and cheering on the rest of the pod.
2019-01-09 1:36 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia

The rules:

I really need this; I've been such a slug through the fall, and I'm having a hard time getting going again. Thanks for setting this up! I've not done this before though....when do we start?

I believe that we are starting on Monday the 14th. At least the logging part starts then. Feel free to workout between now and then!

Remember this a a Choose Your Own Adventure type of challenge. Pick one or all to participate in!

2019-01-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kbhanson3 NAME: Karl Hanson OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava and Instagram (kbhanson3 there too) STORY: I ventured into the multisport in 2012 and have done several sprints & Oly's since. Last year after St. Anthony's I decided to take a (permanent?) hiatus from running (my wife telling me for the 47th time that I'm just not built to be a runner might have finally sunk in). But I still enjoy swimming and cycling so I plan to continue along with Aquabikes. Originally, my motivation was weight loss, which is still a motivating factor, but now it's more about general fitness and enjoying outdoor activities. FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (DD 19 & DS 16) and 1 dog CURRENT TRAINING: 2018 was a lazy year for me post-St. Anthony's. Since May, my "training" can only be described as maintenance work at best. I will be starting a swim training plan to boost my endurance later this month after returning from a short trip next week. I still need to find a plan to build endurance on the bike. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Shooting for a HI Aquabike in the fall. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Being part of a group with folks who have similar interests, motivations and goals helps me stay focused. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I aspire to be a good Manatee (certainly a better one than I was last year!) by participating in the group discussions more regularly and cheering on the rest of the pod.

Welcome back, Karl! I know more and more people who are into Aquabike. In fact, one of my riding buddies always does the Lake Logan Half Aquabike. I'm sure that there are events closer to you though.

I'll add you to the Strava group momentarily.

2019-01-09 1:46 PM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Originally posted by kbhanson3 NAME: Karl Hanson OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava and Instagram (kbhanson3 there too) STORY: I ventured into the multisport in 2012 and have done several sprints & Oly's since. Last year after St. Anthony's I decided to take a (permanent?) hiatus from running (my wife telling me for the 47th time that I'm just not built to be a runner might have finally sunk in). But I still enjoy swimming and cycling so I plan to continue along with Aquabikes. Originally, my motivation was weight loss, which is still a motivating factor, but now it's more about general fitness and enjoying outdoor activities. FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (DD 19 & DS 16) and 1 dog CURRENT TRAINING: 2018 was a lazy year for me post-St. Anthony's. Since May, my "training" can only be described as maintenance work at best. I will be starting a swim training plan to boost my endurance later this month after returning from a short trip next week. I still need to find a plan to build endurance on the bike. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Shooting for a HI Aquabike in the fall. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Being part of a group with folks who have similar interests, motivations and goals helps me stay focused. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I aspire to be a good Manatee (certainly a better one than I was last year!) by participating in the group discussions more regularly and cheering on the rest of the pod.

Welcome back, Karl! I know more and more people who are into Aquabike. In fact, one of my riding buddies always does the Lake Logan Half Aquabike. I'm sure that there are events closer to you though.

I like to looks of the Lake Logan event & I have a place I could bunk in Waynesville so will give it a hard look for this year. Thanks for the suggestion!
2019-01-09 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kbhanson3

I like to looks of the Lake Logan event & I have a place I could bunk in Waynesville so will give it a hard look for this year. Thanks for the suggestion!

The half is QUITE HILLY. The Oly is not. I am currently planning to do the HIM. I think that Lisa is looking at doing the Oly.

Waynesville is the perfect place to stay!

2019-01-09 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

The half is QUITE HILLY. The Oly is not. I am currently planning to do the HIM. I think that Lisa is looking at doing the Oly.

truth!

2019-01-09 4:42 PM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Bike course is too hilly for a flatlander? He asks hoping you were thinking of the run course....
2019-01-09 10:09 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Week #2 swim lesson--more kicking!! ????

Really, it's good reminders. Today was more side kicking drills, body position & body roll. Making me do the things I usually won't do on my own.

2019-01-10 4:53 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

Week #2 swim lesson--more kicking!! ????

Really, it's good reminders. Today was more side kicking drills, body position & body roll. Making me do the things I usually won't do on my own.

Ouch, how are your legs holding up?
2019-01-10 8:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Bike course is too hilly for a flatlander? He asks hoping you were thinking of the run course....

I'm a flatlander and did it! Finished in 3:26.  Garmin gave me 3330 ft of elevation.  I had been training on the Florida hills in Clermont, but still found this to be a tough course. Janyne and Lisa -non flatlanders, can give you their perspective on toughness.  FYI, I bailed on the swim last year as the water was something like minus 12  and I have hypothermia issue , but will say it is a gorgeous lake, gorgeous venue and I am contemplating going back this year . (maybe just for the oly though b/c there is a bike event i may do that Saturday).  

Edited by amd723 2019-01-10 8:17 AM
2019-01-10 9:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

The rules:

You did a really nice job on this, Chris.  I like the different sheets for the different challenges and like how you have them organized.  Huzzah!

2019-01-10 10:05 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

The rules:

You did a really nice job on this, Chris.  I like the different sheets for the different challenges and like how you have them organized.  Huzzah!

Please don't thank me, I surely didn't do this alone. We all know Janyne does all the heavy lifting.

I'm going to suggest that everyone that is gong to be involved gets some thoughts out on what, how, etc. you plan to do this. Mine is simple.

I will be doing the "Weight Loss" challenge. My objective is to get to 210, which is where I should be. I intend to do this by cutting out between meal junk food, such as chips and candy. These are my biggest failing point, and I need to avoid it all. So, I'll also be doing the "Good Eats" tab as well, sticking to the objective of 6 days of good food choices. Hopefully, when this is all said and done, I have tallied up 12 out of 12 points.

2019-01-10 10:08 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by amd723

I'm a flatlander and did it! Finished in 3:26.  Garmin gave me 3330 ft of elevation.  I had been training on the Florida hills in Clermont, but still found this to be a tough course. Janyne and Lisa -non flatlanders, can give you their perspective on toughness.  FYI, I bailed on the swim last year as the water was something like minus 12  and I have hypothermia issue , but will say it is a gorgeous lake, gorgeous venue and I am contemplating going back this year . (maybe just for the oly though b/c there is a bike event i may do that Saturday).  

So maybe the Oly for me too! Closest thing we have to hills here are the bridges.

2019-01-10 10:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hey Karl! I would consider myself a flatlander (trained in Kansas up until last year) and Lake Logan Half was the most difficult bike course I've ever done. There are two 9%+ grade hills, one in the last couple of miles. I managed to stay in the saddle for all of them, but on both I passed people off their bikes and walking up. They're do-able, but certainly beasts. 

I'm on the fence for doing the Oly this year ... it's about a 3-hour drive for me, which is my limit for solo driving. I may need a tune-up before Augusta 70.3 though. 

2019-01-10 11:01 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

I'm in! I hope it's OK I already put my goals in there. Also, I would like to put swim yard goals for my distance goals as I'm training time and power on the run and bike currently. Would that be OK?
2019-01-10 11:15 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by awm007 I'm in! I hope it's OK I already put my goals in there. Also, I would like to put swim yard goals for my distance goals as I'm training time and power on the run and bike currently. Would that be OK?

Sounds good to me.  We may have to adjust a formula, but it shouldn't be an issue.

2019-01-10 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by awm007 I'm in! I hope it's OK I already put my goals in there. Also, I would like to put swim yard goals for my distance goals as I'm training time and power on the run and bike currently. Would that be OK?

Sounds good to me.  We may have to adjust a formula, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Great spreadsheet Chris, thank you for setting this up. I went ahead and added myself to the weight loss challenge. Hope that is ok
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107