BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-07-12 8:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
I use my tri bike on the trainer and outside. I just feel like I can get the workout on my roadie when it is on the trainer. The cassette is different and I just don't like it. So, I just switch my skewer when I do a trainer ride to an outside ride.

2016-07-12 9:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
I've been switching it up on the trainer. I'd prefer to do all my work on the TT bike because that's what I race on and I want to know what my higher power capabilities are in TT position, but saddle sores have had me on the roadie quite a bit.

Going forward I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Can't put the Dimond on the kickr so it's either going to be roadie or keep my metal frame TT bike just for the trainer. I'm thinking just use the roadie on the trainer during the week, then hit the long ride with the Dimond on the weekend and do all FTP tests on the Dimond outside.

But in general, I agree with Ben that it doesn't matter that much. But if you're using power to pace yourself in TTs or Tris, I suggest that your FTP test be in TT position.

Edited by Jet Black 2016-07-12 9:10 AM
2016-07-12 9:45 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Thanks for the comments/feedback! My roady fits fine (not great, not terrible). I've had it professionally fitted but it's 1 size too big which makes it less than perfect. My front derailleur is broken which sucks when climbing The Mountain on Zwift but I've done a few 3 hour rides and not been too uncomfortable. Sounds like I'm not doing too much damage by riding my roady as long as I get a couple rides to get my positioning down on my Tri bike before a race, which is what I was hoping would be the case!

Sean, what's the status of the Diamond paint job?
2016-07-12 10:59 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Katy, Texas
It's there now, they just started working on it.

Going to be all pearl white frame, pearl blue Dimond logos, pearl red Made in USA on drive side chainstay. Also going to have the red/white/blue wings from my club logo up by the head tube.

2016-07-12 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black It's there now, they just started working on it. Going to be all pearl white frame, pearl blue Dimond logos, pearl red Made in USA on drive side chainstay. Also going to have the red/white/blue wings from my club logo up by the head tube.

Sounds way cool!

2016-07-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by melbo55

Hey manatees, I've returned from my hot hot hot trip to Williamsburg!  I didn't melt into the pavement and I got to meet Judi, QueenZipp herself!  I also got to meet my new coach, aka Coach Josh, in person, how cool!  My friend LT and I had a really fun time, and her half relay team got 2nd place and after some drama not perpetrated by me, I got 2nd AG (Athena) in the Olympic.  It was hot, so hot.  I felt like all I did Friday, Saturday and Sunday was drink and sweat, sweat and drink.  I'll try to get to the RR this week.

Laura and Judi, I have no idea how you tolerate the traffic around your area, unless you don't use any of the routes that have 95 in them.  Man, what a total PITA the drive was down and back!  LT and I vowed not to do any more races that involve traveling on those roads, LOL.  Unless we drive at midnight, maybe that would be better.

Why do you think I put up with my crazy job?  I work from home and very rarely have to fight that traffic.  Trust me, when I am stuck on 95 any length of time I start cursing like a sailor and using pretty nasty hand gestures.

Northern VA, near Laura is a parking lot 24/7.  It seems like all the various roads feed into the route then voila here we have a road designed 30+ years ago that is ill equipped to handle the volume of traffic.....Though I lived in southern MD 30 years ago and that road was a parking lot even then!!

It might take a little longer, but from Mt Joy area you could go around the western part of MD to route 81 then go across 64 east.  We go out 81 when we visit John's family in Harrisburg / Dillsburgh area.

I'm a bit late to this, but yeah....DC traffic. Anything less than an hour is a "good commute" and I once worked a job for $12/hour that involved 3 hours of commuting a day....and didn't bat an eye, because them's the brakes. I've always dealt with it, so now I just find that I have incredible patience whenever I travel for what other parts of the country call rush hour.
Congrats on a great race. Seems like it was a super hot one out there. Even still, I may need to put this one on my calendar for next year. Sure you can't be convinced to drive south again? :D

2016-07-13 7:13 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Everyone! Mad waves from me as i run off again. We're back from Musselman where my hubby did great despite some challenging conditions. And now we're off to go camping for a couple of nights. We're going to a park on Lake Erie we've never been to but it should be really nice and beachy! 

I hope you're all doing well and be back soon to catch up! 

2016-07-13 7:19 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Katy, Texas
FTP test this morning. Hit 311w avg for the 20 min, thus new FTP is 296w (yes I'm rounding up lol).

Pretty happy with that knowing that if I put in solid work over the next 3 weeks, then kill myself in Utah I should be able to hit 300w FTP next test. Now if I could just lose 3-4 lbs in that timeframe, I'd also hit the magical 4 w/kg!
2016-07-13 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by Jet Black

FTP test this morning. Hit 311w avg for the 20 min, thus new FTP is 296w (yes I'm rounding up lol).

Pretty happy with that knowing that if I put in solid work over the next 3 weeks, then kill myself in Utah I should be able to hit 300w FTP next test. Now if I could just lose 3-4 lbs in that timeframe, I'd also hit the magical 4 w/kg!

Nice work Sean, you are an animal.
2016-07-13 8:12 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black FTP test this morning. Hit 311w avg for the 20 min, thus new FTP is 296w (yes I'm rounding up lol). Pretty happy with that knowing that if I put in solid work over the next 3 weeks, then kill myself in Utah I should be able to hit 300w FTP next test. Now if I could just lose 3-4 lbs in that timeframe, I'd also hit the magical 4 w/kg!

Nice going Sean! Wish it was only 3-4 for me. Can we just use a previously established race weight for power to weight?

2016-07-13 8:21 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks Gents!

Ben, as long as you haven't adjusted your weight in training peaks since that race, you should be good to go. LOL!

2016-07-13 9:35 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi Everyone! Mad waves from me as i run off again. We're back from Musselman where my hubby did great despite some challenging conditions. And now we're off to go camping for a couple of nights. We're going to a park on Lake Erie we've never been to but it should be really nice and beachy! 

I hope you're all doing well and be back soon to catch up! 

Enjoy, it is a very pretty part of the country!  Have fun!

2016-07-13 9:35 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Jet Black FTP test this morning. Hit 311w avg for the 20 min, thus new FTP is 296w (yes I'm rounding up lol). Pretty happy with that knowing that if I put in solid work over the next 3 weeks, then kill myself in Utah I should be able to hit 300w FTP next test. Now if I could just lose 3-4 lbs in that timeframe, I'd also hit the magical 4 w/kg!

Wow!  Beast.

2016-07-13 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes! Maybe I can take you on power to weight (or maybe not?) but you would slaughter me on absolute power!
2016-07-13 10:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Chris I listened to a podcast this morning during which they were interviewing C.B. "Pops" Thompson after he did the "Save the Daylight". I was laughing when they were talking about the elevation gain on the bridge over the canal   It did make me want to run it though.  I'd still like to combine a trip to see DS2 with a pre-ultra ultra, but still  not sure where he will be and when because his boat is in dry dock.

2016-07-13 10:29 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I know you guys are all going to roll your eyes at this one but I went for another bike fit yesterday!

It's actually been 2 years since my last one and I needed some piece of mind that the bike really fits me and maybe take another stab at this saddle thing.

So the short of it is - yes, my front end setup did not change. We did add some shims to my left shoe which seems to have calmed down some 1 sided rocking I had and made my pedal stroke match the other side (acceptable angle range).

Then the saddle........so we made some changes there and I left with an Adamo pn1.1 to try. It's the only one I pretty much didn't scream NO right out of the gate.

I took it for a quick 1 hr spin today - here's my review:
left side "this is awesome!"
ride side "we're not sure about this....."

So for the ladies, question for you - what are you favorite TRI shorts?
I have Coeurs and LGs that I wear regularly. I don't love any of them like I love my LG BIKE shorts but I'm trying to see if the whole less is more thing for the Adamos is true. I also have Voler and 2xu which I hate.

I had a pair of Desotos once but they were SO FREAKIN TIGHT I returned them. Maybe I should try again and size up? How about Zoot?

2016-07-13 10:30 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Katy, Texas
That's why racing alpe d'huez is a good idea for you! You'd probably smoke me up that thing.
2016-07-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I know you guys are all going to roll your eyes at this one but I went for another bike fit yesterday! It's actually been 2 years since my last one and I needed some piece of mind that the bike really fits me and maybe take another stab at this saddle thing. So the short of it is - yes, my front end setup did not change. We did add some shims to my left shoe which seems to have calmed down some 1 sided rocking I had and made my pedal stroke match the other side (acceptable angle range). Then the saddle........so we made some changes there and I left with an Adamo pn1.1 to try. It's the only one I pretty much didn't scream NO right out of the gate. I took it for a quick 1 hr spin today - here's my review: left side "this is awesome!" ride side "we're not sure about this....." So for the ladies, question for you - what are you favorite TRI shorts? I have Coeurs and LGs that I wear regularly. I don't love any of them like I love my LG BIKE shorts but I'm trying to see if the whole less is more thing for the Adamos is true. I also have Voler and 2xu which I hate. I had a pair of Desotos once but they were SO FREAKIN TIGHT I returned them. Maybe I should try again and size up? How about Zoot?

i love my Orca 226 Lites.  I've worn them on short rides to rides of about 80 miles.  Since they are tri shorts, there's not much of a chamois, but I do like the less is more approach.  I also have an Adamo prologue saddle.

2016-07-13 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I know you guys are all going to roll your eyes at this one but I went for another bike fit yesterday! It's actually been 2 years since my last one and I needed some piece of mind that the bike really fits me and maybe take another stab at this saddle thing. So the short of it is - yes, my front end setup did not change. We did add some shims to my left shoe which seems to have calmed down some 1 sided rocking I had and made my pedal stroke match the other side (acceptable angle range). Then the saddle........so we made some changes there and I left with an Adamo pn1.1 to try. It's the only one I pretty much didn't scream NO right out of the gate. I took it for a quick 1 hr spin today - here's my review: left side "this is awesome!" ride side "we're not sure about this....." So for the ladies, question for you - what are you favorite TRI shorts? I have Coeurs and LGs that I wear regularly. I don't love any of them like I love my LG BIKE shorts but I'm trying to see if the whole less is more thing for the Adamos is true. I also have Voler and 2xu which I hate. I had a pair of Desotos once but they were SO FREAKIN TIGHT I returned them. Maybe I should try again and size up? How about Zoot?

Desoto 400 mile shorts on the tri bike.  Terry Bellas on the roadie.

2016-07-13 10:54 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

i love my Orca 226 Lites.  I've worn them on short rides to rides of about 80 miles.  Since they are tri shorts, there's not much of a chamois, but I do like the less is more approach.  I also have an Adamo prologue saddle.

My faves are Desoto and Zoot. And I agree with less is more on Adamo.

2016-07-13 11:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

do you and Janyne find that the Desotos run small?

2016-07-13 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I find that most tri clothing runs small.

2016-07-13 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I find that most tri clothing runs small.

me too!

2016-07-13 11:39 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black That's why racing alpe d'huez is a good idea for you! You'd probably smoke me up that thing.
I'd probably hang on, but completely blow the run in doing so. Both denominator types (kg & CdA) are problematic now. Not quite back into the same position pre-accident. Everything is coming, just slowly.

2016-07-13 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Chris I listened to a podcast this morning during which they were interviewing C.B. "Pops" Thompson after he did the "Save the Daylight". I was laughing when they were talking about the elevation gain on the bridge over the canal   It did make me want to run it though.  I'd still like to combine a trip to see DS2 with a pre-ultra ultra, but still  not sure where he will be and when because his boat is in dry dock.

I'll have to look for it. Thanks.

Max elevation right here:

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.