BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-06-10 9:31 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by abake

Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).

Ahhh... I didn't realize we are sharing a state together I live between Chicago and Wisconsin. We got very strong winds last night, it made my window fell.
I drove last night too, in a minivan, and felt the wind moving the car. It was scary...

2020-06-10 9:33 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by abake Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).

To add to the 2020 weirdness, we had at least 1 tornado in downtown Orlando this past Saturday night. That, apparently, is a first. At my house we had tornado warnings expiring and then coming back for about 3 hours straight!   

Oh! That's not fun!

Oh, wow! We were in Orlando in February, and when I asked my Lyft driver about Florida weather and hurricanes, he said they did not have to worry about those in Orlando... I hope that won't change for them...

2020-06-10 9:41 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by abake Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).

To add to the 2020 weirdness, we had at least 1 tornado in downtown Orlando this past Saturday night. That, apparently, is a first. At my house we had tornado warnings expiring and then coming back for about 3 hours straight!   

Oh! That's not fun!

Oh, wow! We were in Orlando in February, and when I asked my Lyft driver about Florida weather and hurricanes, he said they did not have to worry about those in Orlando... I hope that won't change for them...

Hurricanes are a normal issue we deal with in Orlando bc even though we are inland most of the state is pretty narrow so even a hurricane that just moves up one coast or the other will impact our weather. Hurricanes also have a tendency to move inland and can still be quite strong when they reach us.  Tornados are always something to look out for when a hurricane is around, but in general, tornados are not the issue they are in the midwest. While having a tornado warning is not rare, having a tornado in downtown Orlando is very rare.     

2020-06-10 11:18 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

After 8 months of waiting, I finally got my Kiwami Race Team Kit over the weekend.  When we turned in our forms last October they asked us to put down the date of our first race so they could prioritize and get gear out to the people racing early in the year first.  I knew that by putting June 6th as my first race I was dooming myself to be the last person to get my gear, but I didn't think it would show up on at 11:00 AM on the 6th of June (when my race would have started at about 7:30 AM.). Good thing that race was canceled.  :-)   

I used to value saving money over color coordination, but since my required purchases after the first 2-3 years dropped to about zero and I haven't had anything new for about two years I made sure that everything was blue to stick with the Boy Blue theme.  :-)  When you haven't had anything new in a while you get really excited so thanks for bearing with my excitement.   

P.S.  I didn't know my first 5 years in the sport that there were application processes to get on the triathlon product race teams.  After my last race in September I was looking for goals/plans for 2020 to keep me motivated and enjoying the sport and learned that there were dozens of teams accepting applications for the following year.  I obviously decided to apply for a team and can't believe it took me so long to figure out how these teams work.  :-)

Great looking kit, Curtis!  Blue boy indeed, like it!

Agreed, that is a nice kit indeed!

2020-06-10 11:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

DD1 shared the footage of that, it looked ominous for those of us that aren't used to such things. We had a small one touch down in Venice when I was growing up there and the destruction was pretty eye opening. Weather is no joke.

2020-06-10 11:28 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Oh! That's not fun!

Hurricanes are a normal issue we deal with in Orlando bc even though we are inland most of the state is pretty narrow so even a hurricane that just moves up one coast or the other will impact our weather. Hurricanes also have a tendency to move inland and can still be quite strong when they reach us.  Tornados are always something to look out for when a hurricane is around, but in general, tornados are not the issue they are in the midwest. While having a tornado warning is not rare, having a tornado in downtown Orlando is very rare.     

Ahh I see. Thanks for explaining. Chances are I confused tornado and hurricane. In my geography class back in poland we also learned about cyclones, something called "traba powietrzna" (no idea how to translate it into English, but I think it's similar to tornado, but different...), and I think one more thing... Too easy to get all of them confused.

2020-06-10 3:36 PM

I am looking for a new pair of running shoes and would love some experienced advice. A couple of years ago I decided to start running more with an interest in triathlons. Instead of taking good advice and going to a dedicated running shop for a shoe fit, I figured out whether my feet are “neutral” or whether they tend to pronate using various methods from online. Having determined that I was pretty neutral, with possible slight pronation, I headed down to the local REI and tried on various shoes. I had a pair of old Asics that super comfortable, even when running, but I figured I would give other companies a chance. I left that day with a pair of Brooks Ghost 10 shoes. They felt like pillows on my feet and I couldn’t have been more happy.

I started jogging with them and indeed, they were pretty comfy. I noticed after half hour or so that my feet would start to get numb. I figured I needed to just “break them in.” I didn’t run as often I should have, and eventually the return on them ran out. Life got busy with work, and a year and a half ago I moved to a new town a couple hours away from the REI store. I have been running more often and these shoes still make my feet numb. I’ve swapped the laces for speed laces and keep the shoe looser than tying with regular laces, to no avail.

So, I’ve decided to get different shoes. I love the Asics I have, but they are really old (~ 15+ years) and worn. I have decided to go with Asics again for that reason. I am stuck between Gel-Kayano 26 and Gel-Nimbus 22 because both have great reviews for bigger guys. The kayano is described as a “stability” shoe, but I’ve read that they are for “mild to moderate pronation.” The Asics website describes them as “made for Neutral and Overpronation.” I take that to mean mild pronation as opposed to severe. The Nimbus is described as being for neutral runners.

I determined last night that my old shoes are Gel-Phoenix 3’s, which I have found described as somewhat of a stability shoe. However, I imagine the “stability” platforms of 15-20 years ago are nowhere near the same as what would be in today’s shoes. My concern is the Kayano would be too “stable” if you will. I’ve attached a pic of my foot pattern, which I would say is pretty neutral to mild pronation?

If you’ve read this far, I realize you’re thinking “well dummy, just go try both pair on and see which you like better.” That’s the obvious answer. But I live 2.5 hours from REI and any legit running store, and with COVID numbers on the rise here, I am simply not traveling up there to try on shoes. I was wondering if anyone had any experience on either of these, especially how much stability the kayano provides? The Brooks I have are described as neutral shoes (like the Nimbus), and I don’t think pronation is an issue in them, I just think they may be a touch too small/narrow that after a bit, my feet go numb.

The kayano’s are $50 cheaper right now. My thought is to order those, give them a try for a week or two, and then return for the Nimbus if the balance seems off. But if anyone thinks they’d be “too stable” and be uncomfy trying to push my feet the other way, I’d love to hear it. All of this will be done by mail order, so it’s going to take a few weeks to get it dialed in I think.

Thanks in advance.

(foot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
foot.jpg (3366KB - 2 downloads)
2020-06-10 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think that cyclones, hurricanes, and typhoons are all essentially the same thing (big, violent, wind and rain storms that start over the water and move inland to wreak havoc). The difference is where they form--cyclones for the Indian Ocean, hurricanes for the Atlantic, and typhoons for the Pacific. Tornados are different kinds of storms--usually (but not always) form over land, and have a distinctive funnel cloud. They're yet another aspect of growing up in the Midwest that I don't miss at all!
2020-06-10 6:58 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri I am looking for a new pair of running shoes and would love some experienced advice. A couple of years ago I decided to start running more with an interest in triathlons. Instead of taking good advice and going to a dedicated running shop for a shoe fit, I figured out whether my feet are “neutral” or whether they tend to pronate using various methods from online. Having determined that I was pretty neutral, with possible slight pronation, I headed down to the local REI and tried on various shoes. I had a pair of old Asics that super comfortable, even when running, but I figured I would give other companies a chance. I left that day with a pair of Brooks Ghost 10 shoes. They felt like pillows on my feet and I couldn’t have been more happy. I started jogging with them and indeed, they were pretty comfy. I noticed after half hour or so that my feet would start to get numb. I figured I needed to just “break them in.” I didn’t run as often I should have, and eventually the return on them ran out. Life got busy with work, and a year and a half ago I moved to a new town a couple hours away from the REI store. I have been running more often and these shoes still make my feet numb. I’ve swapped the laces for speed laces and keep the shoe looser than tying with regular laces, to no avail. So, I’ve decided to get different shoes. I love the Asics I have, but they are really old (~ 15+ years) and worn. I have decided to go with Asics again for that reason. I am stuck between Gel-Kayano 26 and Gel-Nimbus 22 because both have great reviews for bigger guys. The kayano is described as a “stability” shoe, but I’ve read that they are for “mild to moderate pronation.” The Asics website describes them as “made for Neutral and Overpronation.” I take that to mean mild pronation as opposed to severe. The Nimbus is described as being for neutral runners. I determined last night that my old shoes are Gel-Phoenix 3’s, which I have found described as somewhat of a stability shoe. However, I imagine the “stability” platforms of 15-20 years ago are nowhere near the same as what would be in today’s shoes. My concern is the Kayano would be too “stable” if you will. I’ve attached a pic of my foot pattern, which I would say is pretty neutral to mild pronation? If you’ve read this far, I realize you’re thinking “well dummy, just go try both pair on and see which you like better.” That’s the obvious answer. But I live 2.5 hours from REI and any legit running store, and with COVID numbers on the rise here, I am simply not traveling up there to try on shoes. I was wondering if anyone had any experience on either of these, especially how much stability the kayano provides? The Brooks I have are described as neutral shoes (like the Nimbus), and I don’t think pronation is an issue in them, I just think they may be a touch too small/narrow that after a bit, my feet go numb. The kayano’s are $50 cheaper right now. My thought is to order those, give them a try for a week or two, and then return for the Nimbus if the balance seems off. But if anyone thinks they’d be “too stable” and be uncomfy trying to push my feet the other way, I’d love to hear it. All of this will be done by mail order, so it’s going to take a few weeks to get it dialed in I think. Thanks in advance.

your wet foot impression looks more neutral  than over pronation to me, but I’m no expert! What about wear pattern on your old shoes? As I understand it, if you over pronate you will see more wear along the medial area of the shoe as your ankle collapses inward, you wear the sole out on that side first.

2020-06-11 8:52 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by alaskatri I am looking for a new pair of running shoes and would love some experienced advice. A couple of years ago I decided to start running more with an interest in triathlons. Instead of taking good advice and going to a dedicated running shop for a shoe fit, I figured out whether my feet are “neutral” or whether they tend to pronate using various methods from online. Having determined that I was pretty neutral, with possible slight pronation, I headed down to the local REI and tried on various shoes. I had a pair of old Asics that super comfortable, even when running, but I figured I would give other companies a chance. I left that day with a pair of Brooks Ghost 10 shoes. They felt like pillows on my feet and I couldn’t have been more happy. I started jogging with them and indeed, they were pretty comfy. I noticed after half hour or so that my feet would start to get numb. I figured I needed to just “break them in.” I didn’t run as often I should have, and eventually the return on them ran out. Life got busy with work, and a year and a half ago I moved to a new town a couple hours away from the REI store. I have been running more often and these shoes still make my feet numb. I’ve swapped the laces for speed laces and keep the shoe looser than tying with regular laces, to no avail. So, I’ve decided to get different shoes. I love the Asics I have, but they are really old (~ 15+ years) and worn. I have decided to go with Asics again for that reason. I am stuck between Gel-Kayano 26 and Gel-Nimbus 22 because both have great reviews for bigger guys. The kayano is described as a “stability” shoe, but I’ve read that they are for “mild to moderate pronation.” The Asics website describes them as “made for Neutral and Overpronation.” I take that to mean mild pronation as opposed to severe. The Nimbus is described as being for neutral runners. I determined last night that my old shoes are Gel-Phoenix 3’s, which I have found described as somewhat of a stability shoe. However, I imagine the “stability” platforms of 15-20 years ago are nowhere near the same as what would be in today’s shoes. My concern is the Kayano would be too “stable” if you will. I’ve attached a pic of my foot pattern, which I would say is pretty neutral to mild pronation? If you’ve read this far, I realize you’re thinking “well dummy, just go try both pair on and see which you like better.” That’s the obvious answer. But I live 2.5 hours from REI and any legit running store, and with COVID numbers on the rise here, I am simply not traveling up there to try on shoes. I was wondering if anyone had any experience on either of these, especially how much stability the kayano provides? The Brooks I have are described as neutral shoes (like the Nimbus), and I don’t think pronation is an issue in them, I just think they may be a touch too small/narrow that after a bit, my feet go numb. The kayano’s are $50 cheaper right now. My thought is to order those, give them a try for a week or two, and then return for the Nimbus if the balance seems off. But if anyone thinks they’d be “too stable” and be uncomfy trying to push my feet the other way, I’d love to hear it. All of this will be done by mail order, so it’s going to take a few weeks to get it dialed in I think. Thanks in advance.

I run in Asics shoes.  I have got the latest Gel Kayano from my mom for my birthday for 4 years in a row.   

For my last birthday, I went to the running store with my mom and tried on the Brook Ghosts, the Saucony Kinvaras,  some Altra's, and some Hoka One One's.  I have run in about 20 pairs of Asics and know what shoes are best for me but I always have the salesperson look at how I walk and recommend a shoe just to see what they come up with.  The sales guy said that I was neutral which surprised me because every time I have had the salesperson evaluate my feet before I was something else (Pronator? Over Pronator? Supronator? Other?). 

I know several people that run in exclusively Books Ghost so I was excited to take a run in them.  I was surprised how think the soles of the Ghosts felt compared to the Kayano.  The Kayanos are a stiffer sole.  With the Ghost, I couldn't feel every pebble in the road.  The Saucony and Altras were the same way.  Having done this for 30 years I knew I was probably going to like the Kayanos best and I did.  The poor sales guy just scratched his head and said that is a stability shoe.  You are neutral and don't need a stability shoe.   So...even at a running specific store the sales guys aren't always going to have a clue what shoe is going to be best for you. 

The best method for buying shoes is trying them on and seeing how they feel.  It sounds like you did that with the Ghost, but that they only were good for short runs. I get numb feet at about 9 miles into runs.  I don't have problems with shorter runs but it is pretty consistent at around 9 miles.  When I get to that point really focus on relaxing my foot as much and possible through my stride.   I had something similar when I sprained my ankle about 15 years ago and was forced to take about 6 months off from running.  When I came back I could only run about 3 miles before I would get what felt like plantar fasciitis in the foot that I had sprained.  Running became miserable and so I eventually stopped running altogether for about two years.   When I came back the foot was fine.  So...my theory is that some of this numbness could be due to the feet of not being perfectly aligned (due to injury) or from being unequal (one side pulling more of the weight than the other).  It also could be from the feet swelling.  I know when I hit mile 9, and my feet start to numb up, I always wish I had laced up the shoe looser. loosening them up doesn't seem to make a difference though they still go numb at 9 miles.  My solution is to focus on keeping my feet as loose as possible during the stride and to keep my form as good as it is on the first 8 miles when I don't have any discomfort.   I just work through the numbness and keep going.

I will say the Kayano is a workhorse training shoe. I am 172 lbs and get 600-700 miles out of them before my knees tell my I need a new pair of shoes.  I got the Bondi Hoka One One's two years ago and they are a much softer cushioning than the Kayanos that are a stiffer shoe, but my knees were telling me I need new shoes after just 400 miles in them.  I prefer a stiffer sturdier shoe for training miles and a lighter thinner soled shoe for racing.  I would go with the heavier sturdier shoe.  I think your form is what is going to determine if your feet go numb though so that might not be something that I 100% related to the show and that can not be 100% corrected with a different shoe.   

Good luck with shoes.  You might try experimenting with some lighter runs and see if that makes any difference. You also might want to experiment with form and focus on how your feet absorb each step then try to smooth it out and make is gentler. 

2020-06-11 9:23 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado
My feet pronate and I had to be "evaluated" in the running store for the proper shoes. I know you said that's not the case for you right now. I have been running in Mizuno, trying to change them for a new pair every ~600 miles. But I also wear inserts. I bought them in the running store as well, as there are different types. Maybe an insert is someting that can help you?

2020-06-11 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
I had a little yay me moment today. I have the goal of running 1,000 miles this year. I was doing very well, until the day I "crashed" my bike in my basement. I couldn't run for 6 weeks and went from 30 miles up to 50 miles down. Today I made back my miles and I'm on track to hit 1,000 miles. It's a small win, but a win is a win.
2020-06-11 5:50 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a little yay me moment today. I have the goal of running 1,000 miles this year. I was doing very well, until the day I "crashed" my bike in my basement. I couldn't run for 6 weeks and went from 30 miles up to 50 miles down. Today I made back my miles and I'm on track to hit 1,000 miles. It's a small win, but a win is a win.

Woo Hoo! That's great!!

2020-06-12 4:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Illinois

Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).

Ahhh... I didn't realize we are sharing a state together I live between Chicago and Wisconsin. We got very strong winds last night, it made my window fell.
I drove last night too, in a minivan, and felt the wind moving the car. It was scary...

Yes, fellow Illinoisian (spelling?) here! Once that scary wind stuff moved through, the weather has been absolutely beautiful!
Speaking of Manatee Geography, I know there are some Florida Manatees here --- DH and I will be spending the month of January in Madeira Beach, maybe we can meet up for a bike ride or even a swim if I can manage to get back in the pool. My swim skillz are rusty

Edited by abake 2020-06-12 5:01 AM
2020-06-12 4:58 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by JBacarella

I had a little yay me moment today. I have the goal of running 1,000 miles this year. I was doing very well, until the day I "crashed" my bike in my basement. I couldn't run for 6 weeks and went from 30 miles up to 50 miles down. Today I made back my miles and I'm on track to hit 1,000 miles. It's a small win, but a win is a win.

Yeah!!!! Mileage goals are powerful motivators.
2020-06-12 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ahhh... I didn't realize we are sharing a state together I live between Chicago and Wisconsin. We got very strong winds last night, it made my window fell. I drove last night too, in a minivan, and felt the wind moving the car. It was scary...
Yes, fellow Illinoisian (spelling?) here! Once that scary wind stuff moved through, the weather has been absolutely beautiful! Speaking of Manatee Geography, I know there are some Florida Manatees here --- DH and I will be spending the month of January in Madeira Beach, maybe we can meet up for a bike ride or even a swim if I can manage to get back in the pool. My swim skillz are rusty

That's a nice place to spend the month of January! Chris lives on the gulf side of the state, so he's probably about 1.5 hrs from madeira. I'm in Orlando, so 2 hours assuming i-4 isn't a parking lot.

2020-06-12 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a little yay me moment today. I have the goal of running 1,000 miles this year. I was doing very well, until the day I "crashed" my bike in my basement. I couldn't run for 6 weeks and went from 30 miles up to 50 miles down. Today I made back my miles and I'm on track to hit 1,000 miles. It's a small win, but a win is a win.

Nice!

2020-06-12 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ahhh... I didn't realize we are sharing a state together I live between Chicago and Wisconsin. We got very strong winds last night, it made my window fell. I drove last night too, in a minivan, and felt the wind moving the car. It was scary...
Yes, fellow Illinoisian (spelling?) here! Once that scary wind stuff moved through, the weather has been absolutely beautiful! Speaking of Manatee Geography, I know there are some Florida Manatees here --- DH and I will be spending the month of January in Madeira Beach, maybe we can meet up for a bike ride or even a swim if I can manage to get back in the pool. My swim skillz are rusty

Retirement plans?! How exciting!

2020-06-12 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

That's a nice place to spend the month of January! Chris lives on the gulf side of the state, so he's probably about 1.5 hrs from madeira. I'm in Orlando, so 2 hours assuming i-4 isn't a parking lot.

Perfect!
2020-06-12 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Yes, these darned Illinois winters just seem to get longer and colder every year. THis is a bit of an experiment for us --- hopefully the condo doesn't feel too small. It will also be interesting as I will be taking all 3 kitties with us. If anyone here has done cross country traveling with cats, I'd love to hear your stories, good or otherwise.
2020-06-12 10:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That's great you are back on track!

2020-06-12 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Mom has driven a kitty across the country during a move, and I've taken two kitties from Vietnam to Boise (by plane and truck) and then three kitties from Boise to Eugene (in two days of driving). Plus one from China to Eugene via Canada with a lot of driving. A lot depends on the cat. Best bet is to get him/her used to things like the carrying case and riding in the car well before the actual move. Especially if the cat associates getting into the crate only with nasty thins like going to the vet or kennel. Have it lying around as a "cave" with blankets and toys so they get comfortable with it; if you're planning to drive where you're going then take them along on some drives, too (but don't leave them in the car in summer!). It helps to have a bigger crate than they need so you can put a mini litter pan in there. Otherwise they'll try to "hold it" until they can't anymore. Plus small dishes of food and water. You can get ones that attach to the door or cage slats so you don't need to open the door to feed or add water--safer if they need a resupply and you don't want them to get out.

Some cats are good in cars/strange places and some aren't. It's like people. We have three and they are really different. Shelby loves the car, loves it when we stop places and she can meet new people, Smudgee is a little hesitant and anxious as long as he's with his buddy, Tomoko has a nervous breakdown. (If it's cool, we've learned to leave the latter two, who are a "bonded pair" in the car to comfort each other while Shelby holds court from her carrier on an outdoor table.) If you have two cats who can comfort each other, you could try putting them together in an extra-big crate, or at least have them facing each other. This is the ONLY way to achieve sanity with Smudgee and Tomoko (the latter will just scream non-stop otherwise). Smudgee for some reason is fine with the backroads of but gets panicky on the interstate (yowwwllll....) so we took the roadless traveled here.

Motel 6 has nice, clean pet-friendly rooms (you have to request them at booking) and a liberal pet policy (I think 2 per room). We got two rooms and didn't try to cheat on that because of our feline dynamics. It might be possible, though. Rooms with no carpets are best! Bring some familiar stuff--bedding, food bowls, etc. so they feel safer. I think Shelby thought the Redmond, Oregon Motel 6 was the greatest place on Earth. Smudgee spent most of the time under the bed, and Tomoko never got out of her carrier except (maybe) to use the facilities. Don't ever leave pets unsupervised in a hotel room--you just don't know who's going to come in and out, and how safety-conscious they are. I would not let them outside away from home--too easy to get lost.

One last thing--have some back-up plans. As in knowing where to find a vet, and an emergency vet or boarding facility, near the places you are staying. Being prepared if the place you'd thought took pets doesn't, etc. Sh... happens. Particularly on my way back from Vietnam, it did, and we had to go to some serious Plan B.

Hope this is useful!
2020-06-12 7:25 PM

your wet foot impression looks more neutral  than over pronation to me, but I’m no expert! What about wear pattern on your old shoes? As I understand it, if you over pronate you will see more wear along the medial area of the shoe as your ankle collapses inward, you wear the sole out on that side first.

I definitely think I am neutral as well. I went and looked at the bottom of all of my shoes and am fairly confident in that assessment. I went down to a local store and tried on a number of Asics shoes today, although they only have a few of the lower end models. I also did some measurements while there. My Brooks ghost are a size 9, regular width. I think I am much more of a 9.5-10 wide foot. So I ordered a couple pairs of Asics Gel Nimbus 22 today, in 9.5 wide and 10 wide. I ordered them from REI. When they arrive I will give them a walk on my treadmill and then immediately return the pair that doesn't work. I figure that is no more than what I would do in the store when trying them on, just with the added hassle of paying up front for both pairs and shipping back and forth.
2020-06-12 7:29 PM

Our COVID numbers having been spiking here again, about 15-20 a day, which is actually a lot for us. I think our highest day ever was 27, and we were down to low single digits and some zeros for a bit there. They cancelled all jury trials today until September, so I guess I'll have more time on my hands over the next few months. My daughter has taken up running, and we all thought it was just so she could pull ahead on Fitbit numbers. But she told me last night she is preparing for a race "quite a ways off." She wouldn't tell me what race, but through questioning I have deduced it will be a marathon. So I am going to up my running game to keep with her and do the race with her, whatever it is she chooses.
2020-06-12 9:13 PM

User image

Expert

Yes, these darned Illinois winters just seem to get longer and colder every year. THis is a bit of an experiment for us --- hopefully the condo doesn't feel too small. It will also be interesting as I will be taking all 3 kitties with us. If anyone here has done cross country traveling with cats, I'd love to hear your stories, good or otherwise.

I had a cat when I moved to Atlanta from Michigan and she HATED riding in the car. The vet gave me happy pills for her, because 12 hours in the car with her would have been horrible. She would get so worked driving that it upset her stomach, and cat gas may be one of the worst smells possible. We made it as far as Kentucky when she started to wake up. We stopped to take a break, give her some water and let her go to the restroom. When our stop was over, I gave her another happy pill as directed. As we drove off, she started getting angrier and angrier. She was making an ungodly screeching noise along with cat gas. It started a conversation about the happy pills and why they stopped working. My wife pulled out the packet and asked if that was what I gave her and I told her yes. Turns out it was my wife's antihistamine! The pills looked almost alike and had a similar package. So now we had an angry, jittery, gassy cat, but her breathing could not have been better. I promptly stopped gave her the correct pill, and she fell back asleep.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127