BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-06-09 6:55 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

After some gravel riding last week, I have questions.

I have a Cx bike that I used for my exploration. I read before that Cx gearing is not really gravel gearing. I know that I ran out of gears quickly on one of the rides and that on all of my rides I was in the small ring up front.  In fact, I don't think that I used the big ring at all on any of these rides. I don't 100% understand bike gearing though, so I could use some help.

Cx setup

Crankset: Shimano RS500, 46/36t, 172.5 mm
Cassette: Shimano 105 5800, 11spd, 11-32t

It looks like gravel/GRX uses a 48-31 crankset or a 46-30 crankset.  So I guess the 36 on the cross bike is too big, right? And maybe the 32 on the cassette is too small?

2020-06-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

I have a Cx bike that I used for my exploration. I read before that Cx gearing is not really gravel gearing. I know that I ran out of gears quickly on one of the rides and that on all of my rides I was in the small ring up front.  In fact, I don't think that I used the big ring at all on any of these rides. I don't 100% understand bike gearing though, so I could use some help.

Cx setup

It looks like gravel/GRX uses a 48-31 crankset or a 46-30 crankset.  So I guess the 36 on the cross bike is too big, right? And maybe the 32 on the cassette is too small?

I believe the general thought process on gravel is bigger ranges of gears, so the Shimano 105 11-34 cassette might give you a bit more hill attack, as would a 46/30 crankset. Since you mentioned that you were spinning out, I wouldn't think you would want to go any higher then the 46 on the crankset. Were I you, I'd look at the crankset and see what it would take to change the 36 out to a 34, 32 or even 30 if it available. And possibly drop the 46 as well, although at some point you might want that bigger option for descending or riding flatter terrain. Granted, the cassette change would give a bigger range of options but it sounds like the hills were the issue. I believe that standard triathlete thinking is to have as small a difference in rpm between gears. This kinda flies in the face of gravel thinking, which is higher highs and lower lows are good, due to terrain and the variety of ups and downs. Uphill on asphalt can be a whole lot different than uphill in peanut butter or sand. 

I'll have to look at what I am running. We are in the same boat, I am using a Cyclocross bike (10 years old) for my gravel grinding. It has had some work done, I believe the cassette had been swapped from original. One last thought, you know, so you get all two cents worth. I find myself riding some real crap on my gravel bike and some nice asphalt. The bigger range is more desirable to me then optimal rpms. I actually find myself using nearly all my gears on most gravel bike rides, which has raised the smiles per miles ratio a bunch.  Also, keep in mind that hills are a foreign entity to me!

2020-06-09 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Another Monday, another meetup opportunity!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

Sorry I missed today, I had an appt with the doc. Standard dermatologist appt, she gets her pound of flesh every visit

There are easier ways to lose weight, you know.

Seriously, I hope that it went well.

Thanks, it went fine. this is a twice a year thing for me.

Go outside, they said. It'll be good for you, get some exercise, breath the fresh air. Yeah, well, my fair skin combined with high UV = the worlds worst weight loss plan

2020-06-09 9:04 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

After 8 months of waiting, I finally got my Kiwami Race Team Kit over the weekend.  When we turned in our forms last October they asked us to put down the date of our first race so they could prioritize and get gear out to the people racing early in the year first.  I knew that by putting June 6th as my first race I was dooming myself to be the last person to get my gear, but I didn't think it would show up on at 11:00 AM on the 6th of June (when my race would have started at about 7:30 AM.). Good thing that race was canceled.  :-)   

I used to value saving money over color coordination, but since my required purchases after the first 2-3 years dropped to about zero and I haven't had anything new for about two years I made sure that everything was blue to stick with the Boy Blue theme.  :-)  When you haven't had anything new in a while you get really excited so thanks for bearing with my excitement.   

P.S.  I didn't know my first 5 years in the sport that there were application processes to get on the triathlon product race teams.  After my last race in September I was looking for goals/plans for 2020 to keep me motivated and enjoying the sport and learned that there were dozens of teams accepting applications for the following year.  I obviously decided to apply for a team and can't believe it took me so long to figure out how these teams work.  :-)

Great looking kit, Curtis!  Blue boy indeed, like it!

2020-06-09 9:06 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

I won't be able to join today... My kids and I are getting ready for the haircuts in few moments... Have a great new week and see you next Monday! Marysia

Haircuts are important now! I'm getting mine done tomorrow ;-)

Haircuts?!  I'm so jealous!  My hair is soooooo long and shaggy and in my face.

2020-06-09 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

After 8 months of waiting, I finally got my Kiwami Race Team Kit over the weekend.  When we turned in our forms last October they asked us to put down the date of our first race so they could prioritize and get gear out to the people racing early in the year first.  I knew that by putting June 6th as my first race I was dooming myself to be the last person to get my gear, but I didn't think it would show up on at 11:00 AM on the 6th of June (when my race would have started at about 7:30 AM.). Good thing that race was canceled.  :-)   

I used to value saving money over color coordination, but since my required purchases after the first 2-3 years dropped to about zero and I haven't had anything new for about two years I made sure that everything was blue to stick with the Boy Blue theme.  :-)  When you haven't had anything new in a while you get really excited so thanks for bearing with my excitement.   

P.S.  I didn't know my first 5 years in the sport that there were application processes to get on the triathlon product race teams.  After my last race in September I was looking for goals/plans for 2020 to keep me motivated and enjoying the sport and learned that there were dozens of teams accepting applications for the following year.  I obviously decided to apply for a team and can't believe it took me so long to figure out how these teams work.  :-)

x2!

2020-06-09 9:09 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Sorry I missed today, I had an appt with the doc. Standard dermatologist appt, she gets her pound of flesh every visit

Go outside, they said. It'll be good for you, get some exercise, breath the fresh air. Yeah, well, my fair skin combined with high UV = the worlds worst weight loss plan

2x per year for me too! I always leave with at least 4 spots zapped! Sometimes the scalpel comes out to get a sample for further testing. thankfully, so far no spot on my face has been cancerous (just pre-c) and only one spot on the back. Florida is fun 

2020-06-09 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Cx setup

I believe the general thought process on gravel is bigger ranges of gears, so the Shimano 105 11-34 cassette might give you a bit more hill attack, as would a 46/30 crankset. Since you mentioned that you were spinning out, I wouldn't think you would want to go any higher then the 46 on the crankset. Were I you, I'd look at the crankset and see what it would take to change the 36 out to a 34, 32 or even 30 if it available. And possibly drop the 46 as well, although at some point you might want that bigger option for descending or riding flatter terrain. Granted, the cassette change would give a bigger range of options but it sounds like the hills were the issue. I believe that standard triathlete thinking is to have as small a difference in rpm between gears. This kinda flies in the face of gravel thinking, which is higher highs and lower lows are good, due to terrain and the variety of ups and downs. Uphill on asphalt can be a whole lot different than uphill in peanut butter or sand. 

I'll have to look at what I am running. We are in the same boat, I am using a Cyclocross bike (10 years old) for my gravel grinding. It has had some work done, I believe the cassette had been swapped from original. One last thought, you know, so you get all two cents worth. I find myself riding some real crap on my gravel bike and some nice asphalt. The bigger range is more desirable to me then optimal rpms. I actually find myself using nearly all my gears on most gravel bike rides, which has raised the smiles per miles ratio a bunch.  Also, keep in mind that hills are a foreign entity to me!

My head exploded with all the technical stuff! I really need to educate myself. I do know i have an 11-28 cassette on my tri bike and an 11-34 on the gravel with 47/32 , 170mm crankset. 

2020-06-09 9:47 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

2x per year for me too! I always leave with at least 4 spots zapped! Sometimes the scalpel comes out to get a sample for further testing. thankfully, so far no spot on my face has been cancerous (just pre-c) and only one spot on the back. Florida is fun 

I hear you. Raised in Fla and nearly albino with Italian and Latin friends. I tried to keep up with their tans. Cut, lazered, frozen, mhos, I have had it all. Every 6 months.
2020-06-09 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I particularly like the steely blue stare with those shades!
2020-06-09 9:56 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Manatees - who is Kyleen Burgess?  I was sent a friend request on Strava and I see some of you are following her (I think it's a her).  The name is not ringing a bell.

2020-06-09 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Cx setup

I'll be honest, for the descending on the steeper parts, I was mostly trying to not die.  The issue was running out of gears on the climb. I was actually fairly comfortable on the Wash Creek climb. That one was mostly 2% with a stretch of 5% and very small section steeper than that.  MTB project topped it out at 11%. I'm not sure that's accurate. The Bent Creek Gap climb, however, I ran out of gears almost right away and had to power up it.  It was going along fine at 2-3% and then it kicked up to 10% or more for the last 2+ miles.  

I guess I need to decide how much I want to spend on this bike before selling it and getting and actual gravel bike. ;-)

2020-06-09 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Manatees - who is Kyleen Burgess?  I was sent a friend request on Strava and I see some of you are following her (I think it's a her).  The name is not ringing a bell.

Kyleen is a coworker. She's almost never on Strava. I wouldn't feel bad about not friending her if I were you.

2020-06-09 2:17 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by ceilidh A mini Manatee meetup happened yesterday. And Janyne got to see that my Jim is real!

We had a great time meeting you and Jim and Raven. Thanks so much for spending the afternoon with us and for taking us to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery.

I mentioned the gravel ride that I did the the parkway (Wash Creek Road) -- from North Mills River Rec Area to the parkway. It was all seated climb on the way up. I rode on the BRP a bit and turned back when I got to a tunnel that required lights.

Today, I road Fletcher Creek Road, also from the Mills River Rec area (but we left from the Spencer Gap parking area rather than the bottom). It was a quiet ride -- 100% gated forest road. It looks like a lot of people may take the single track to Hendersonville Reservoir Road because after that turn off, Fletcher Creek Road was really overgrown.

Photos of both rides in training blog.

Looks like a fun afternoon and so sweet that you were able to meet Robin's family! When I looked at the pics of the overgrown gravel road, I had to wonder what the bug situation is like there? Right now we have the dreaded Buffalo Gnats --- it's about 2 weeks when just stepping outside is a gamble

I can't answer the bug question, but I can tell you the bees are out here in CO. Guess how I know...

We went to Rocky Mountain National Park last Friday to hike some of the trails. I sat down without looking. On a bee. It's okay to laugh because I sure did. After I yelped like the puppy.
2020-06-09 2:19 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by ceilidh A mini Manatee meetup happened yesterday. And Janyne got to see that my Jim is real!

We had a great time meeting you and Jim and Raven. Thanks so much for spending the afternoon with us and for taking us to Hickory Nut Gorge Brewery.

I mentioned the gravel ride that I did the the parkway (Wash Creek Road) -- from North Mills River Rec Area to the parkway. It was all seated climb on the way up. I rode on the BRP a bit and turned back when I got to a tunnel that required lights.

Today, I road Fletcher Creek Road, also from the Mills River Rec area (but we left from the Spencer Gap parking area rather than the bottom). It was a quiet ride -- 100% gated forest road. It looks like a lot of people may take the single track to Hendersonville Reservoir Road because after that turn off, Fletcher Creek Road was really overgrown.

Looks like a fun afternoon and so sweet that you were able to meet Robin's family! When I looked at the pics of the overgrown gravel road, I had to wonder what the bug situation is like there? Right now we have the dreaded Buffalo Gnats --- it's about 2 weeks when just stepping outside is a gamble

I can't answer the bug question, but I can tell you the bees are out here in CO. Guess how I know...

We went to Rocky Mountain National Park last Friday to hike some of the trails. I sat down without looking. On a bee. It's okay to laugh because I sure did. After I yelped like the puppy.

Go hiking, they said.. it will be fun, they said

Did you get any snow today?
2020-06-09 2:22 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Cx setup

I'll be honest, for the descending on the steeper parts, I was mostly trying to not die.  The issue was running out of gears on the climb. I was actually fairly comfortable on the Wash Creek climb. That one was mostly 2% with a stretch of 5% and very small section steeper than that.  MTB project topped it out at 11%. I'm not sure that's accurate. The Bent Creek Gap climb, however, I ran out of gears almost right away and had to power up it.  It was going along fine at 2-3% and then it kicked up to 10% or more for the last 2+ miles.  

I guess I need to decide how much I want to spend on this bike before selling it and getting and actual gravel bike. ;-)

I am actually very happy about this discussion, because climbing on a bike is my "Achilles' heel"
And I don't mean a bit of a hill and there, but a constant climb - an actual climb, when you are starting to question your motivations, and starting to analyze if walking with a bike on your back wouldn't get you up faster...

2020-06-09 3:09 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Expert
Illinois

Cx setup

I am actually very happy about this discussion, because climbing on a bike is my "Achilles' heel"
And I don't mean a bit of a hill and there, but a constant climb - an actual climb, when you are starting to question your motivations, and starting to analyze if walking with a bike on your back wouldn't get you up faster...

This has been a good discussion today about gearing. I'm thinking my gravel bike is 46/32 with 11/34 cassette. That has served well under most circumstances although there've been a few times it would have been nice to have an extra gear or two on the longer climbs. And there's no shame in getting off and walking sometimes --- if speed is less than 3 mph, it's almost more efficient to walk and it gives the legs a break.
2020-06-09 3:27 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Originally posted by fortissimo

Go hiking, they said.. it will be fun, they said

Did you get any snow today?

We only got extreme wind and thunderstorms in the Denver area. Snow kept itself to the mountains.
2020-06-09 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Summer has apparently decided to take the month off here in Oregon. (It's not that uncommon.) Highs on Sunday in the 50's, maybe 60-something yesterday and today. Endless doom and gloom. I got hailed on on Sunday on my run and had to take shelter under a play structure, actually ran on the treadmill today because I didn't feel up for a repeat of that. Would kill for:

#1 Sunshine and temps in 80's, even just one day a week....
#2 Swimming of any sort (pool or open water)
#3 Someone I was pretty sure was Covid-free and about my pace to ride a bike with somewhere other than our spare bedroom. or my 81 year-old mother resentful that I am not riding her pace at Row River Trail
#4 The library. OMG--After three months, I think I know the location of and have raided every Little Free Library in town!

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-06-09 4:23 PM
2020-06-09 9:55 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Cypress, Texas

Go hiking, they said.. it will be fun, they said Did you get any snow today?
We only got extreme wind and thunderstorms in the Denver area. Snow kept itself to the mountains.

Chris, how much snow did Laramie, Wy get today.  My wife said that Laramie got a foot of Snow today but all I am seeing is forcasts for 2-4 inches but no reports on what you actually got. 

2020-06-10 4:32 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Expert
Illinois
Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).

2020-06-10 6:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Summer has apparently decided to take the month off here in Oregon. (It's not that uncommon.) Highs on Sunday in the 50's, maybe 60-something yesterday and today. Endless doom and gloom. I got hailed on on Sunday on my run and had to take shelter under a play structure, actually ran on the treadmill today because I didn't feel up for a repeat of that. Would kill for: #1 Sunshine and temps in 80's, even just one day a week.... #2 Swimming of any sort (pool or open water) #3 Someone I was pretty sure was Covid-free and about my pace to ride a bike with somewhere other than our spare bedroom. or my 81 year-old mother resentful that I am not riding her pace at Row River Trail #4 The library. OMG--After three months, I think I know the location of and have raided every Little Free Library in town!

This week, the county library here is supposedly doing a "soft opening" of their reserve system for physical books (we refer to them as analog books at Chez Kizer!).  My mom is friends with a librarian and she said the soft opening will be this week and it should be open for all on the 15th. Then, I think that we'll be able to schedule a pick up time.

They had 400,000 items checked out when they shut down the libraries. They taped over the return bins and they've had two, two-hour time slots where we could return books. They had huge boxes on pallets and we when the box was filled, they swapped it out with a fork lift. Crazy.

2020-06-10 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).

To add to the 2020 weirdness, we had at least 1 tornado in downtown Orlando this past Saturday night. That, apparently, is a first. At my house we had tornado warnings expiring and then coming back for about 3 hours straight!   

2020-06-10 8:41 AM

User image

Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).

Did I mention the hail and hurricane strength winds we had on Sunday? It also got down into the low 40s. It was crazy!

I hate driving in the wind. Sorry you had to drive in it.
2020-06-10 8:44 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by abake Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).

To add to the 2020 weirdness, we had at least 1 tornado in downtown Orlando this past Saturday night. That, apparently, is a first. At my house we had tornado warnings expiring and then coming back for about 3 hours straight!   

Oh! That's not fun!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127