BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-07-13 12:14 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by rrrunner

Chris I listened to a podcast this morning during which they were interviewing C.B. "Pops" Thompson after he did the "Save the Daylight". I was laughing when they were talking about the elevation gain on the bridge over the canal   It did make me want to run it though.  I'd still like to combine a trip to see DS2 with a pre-ultra ultra, but still  not sure where he will be and when because his boat is in dry dock.

I'll have to look for it. Thanks.

Max elevation right here:

Wow. just wow.

The podcast is called Ultra Finishers. I like it. There was a Scottish guy on last week that had me chuckling and nodding my head for the whole hour.

2016-07-13 12:18 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Chris I listened to a podcast this morning during which they were interviewing C.B. "Pops" Thompson after he did the "Save the Daylight". I was laughing when they were talking about the elevation gain on the bridge over the canal   It did make me want to run it though.  I'd still like to combine a trip to see DS2 with a pre-ultra ultra, but still  not sure where he will be and when because his boat is in dry dock.

Wow. just wow.

The podcast is called Ultra Finishers. I like it. There was a Scottish guy on last week that had me chuckling and nodding my head for the whole hour.

Funny listening to it, they are talking about roots in a certain spot. I KNOW those roots only too well. I have to find the Scottish guy.

BTW, if anyone does the race, you have built in crew ready to go. 

2016-07-13 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow. just wow.

Funny listening to it, they are talking about roots in a certain spot. I KNOW those roots only too well. I have to find the Scottish guy.

It looks stunning, and sounds flat. Hopefully that time of year the humidity would be tolerable.  I'm tapering by that point but if I could combine it with a trip to see the kid I just might do that. We don't have flat races around here. It would be an experience. I still have to think about the 3.3 mile loop, but if I'm tapering I may only do it a few times anyway.

I tried to run the Egan's Creek trail while on Amelia Island. Pretty and shady and green but I got about 2 miles in before the bugs decided I was breakfast.  I bailed at the next possible spot and ran back along the roadway. There was a better breeze there anyway, and views of the ocean.

2016-07-13 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow. just wow.

The struggle is real!

2016-07-13 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow. just wow.

It looks stunning, and sounds flat. Hopefully that time of year the humidity would be tolerable.  I'm tapering by that point but if I could combine it with a trip to see the kid I just might do that. We don't have flat races around here. It would be an experience. I still have to think about the 3.3 mile loop, but if I'm tapering I may only do it a few times anyway.

I tried to run the Egan's Creek trail while on Amelia Island. Pretty and shady and green but I got about 2 miles in before the bugs decided I was breakfast.  I bailed at the next possible spot and ran back along the roadway. There was a better breeze there anyway, and views of the ocean.

I've never run in your area, but I am convinced the differences are palpable. Bugs, humidity, flat vs your clear, dry, mountainous. I connect the one park into another to get to the bay. It is a muckfest of bugs and other critters. Sweat like there is no tomorrow. But, I don't think I'd do well uphill, so to each their own, I guess. 

I'm not running much at all, so I'm not sure I'll do Save the Daylight.. And it may be HOT. One year I did the turkey trot there and it was 40* and the next year it was 80* when we started. Average is probably in the 70's.

2016-07-13 12:53 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by melbo55

Hey manatees, I've returned from my hot hot hot trip to Williamsburg!  I didn't melt into the pavement and I got to meet Judi, QueenZipp herself!  I also got to meet my new coach, aka Coach Josh, in person, how cool!  My friend LT and I had a really fun time, and her half relay team got 2nd place and after some drama not perpetrated by me, I got 2nd AG (Athena) in the Olympic.  It was hot, so hot.  I felt like all I did Friday, Saturday and Sunday was drink and sweat, sweat and drink.  I'll try to get to the RR this week.

Laura and Judi, I have no idea how you tolerate the traffic around your area, unless you don't use any of the routes that have 95 in them.  Man, what a total PITA the drive was down and back!  LT and I vowed not to do any more races that involve traveling on those roads, LOL.  Unless we drive at midnight, maybe that would be better.

Why do you think I put up with my crazy job?  I work from home and very rarely have to fight that traffic.  Trust me, when I am stuck on 95 any length of time I start cursing like a sailor and using pretty nasty hand gestures.

Northern VA, near Laura is a parking lot 24/7.  It seems like all the various roads feed into the route then voila here we have a road designed 30+ years ago that is ill equipped to handle the volume of traffic.....Though I lived in southern MD 30 years ago and that road was a parking lot even then!!

It might take a little longer, but from Mt Joy area you could go around the western part of MD to route 81 then go across 64 east.  We go out 81 when we visit John's family in Harrisburg / Dillsburgh area.

I'm a bit late to this, but yeah....DC traffic. Anything less than an hour is a "good commute" and I once worked a job for $12/hour that involved 3 hours of commuting a day....and didn't bat an eye, because them's the brakes. I've always dealt with it, so now I just find that I have incredible patience whenever I travel for what other parts of the country call rush hour.
Congrats on a great race. Seems like it was a super hot one out there. Even still, I may need to put this one on my calendar for next year. Sure you can't be convinced to drive south again? :D

Yikes, I'll stop complaining about my 15 minute commute.

2016-07-13 12:59 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by abake

Yikes, I'll stop complaining about my 15 minute commute.

Wow, that sounds amazing! Do you bike commute ever? I always think that sounds like such fun.
2016-07-13 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow. just wow.

I've never run in your area, but I am convinced the differences are palpable. Bugs, humidity, flat vs your clear, dry, mountainous. I connect the one park into another to get to the bay. It is a muckfest of bugs and other critters. Sweat like there is no tomorrow. But, I don't think I'd do well uphill, so to each their own, I guess. 

I'm not running much at all, so I'm not sure I'll do Save the Daylight.. And it may be HOT. One year I did the turkey trot there and it was 40* and the next year it was 80* when we started. Average is probably in the 70's.

No bugs for me, just the heat and humidity and sometimes, gators.   Although running in our weather taxes our systems and allows us to not completely die when we leave the area and run hills, there is nothing we can really do and no amount of taxing our systems that can properly prepare us for mountains.  I have some areas that have short, but very steep hills.  I can run repeats on them all day long and when I go to the mountains I will be slow.  I won't be as slow as if I wasn't running them and running in hot, humid weather, but it will not be pretty.   Which is why I know that when I run the Asheville HM in a month or so I will not be a happy camper!  

On the flip side, it seems that heat and humidity affects those not used to it more than hills affect we Floridians, so when visitors come to run races here they really have a very hard time.  

Chris is right on about November Florida weather - you never know what you're going to get.  But, the humidity should be down.  It still will probably seem high to you since you don't have any at all.   

2016-07-13 1:12 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I know you guys are all going to roll your eyes at this one but I went for another bike fit yesterday! It's actually been 2 years since my last one and I needed some piece of mind that the bike really fits me and maybe take another stab at this saddle thing. So the short of it is - yes, my front end setup did not change. We did add some shims to my left shoe which seems to have calmed down some 1 sided rocking I had and made my pedal stroke match the other side (acceptable angle range). Then the saddle........so we made some changes there and I left with an Adamo pn1.1 to try. It's the only one I pretty much didn't scream NO right out of the gate. I took it for a quick 1 hr spin today - here's my review: left side "this is awesome!" ride side "we're not sure about this....." So for the ladies, question for you - what are you favorite TRI shorts? I have Coeurs and LGs that I wear regularly. I don't love any of them like I love my LG BIKE shorts but I'm trying to see if the whole less is more thing for the Adamos is true. I also have Voler and 2xu which I hate. I had a pair of Desotos once but they were SO FREAKIN TIGHT I returned them. Maybe I should try again and size up? How about Zoot?

i love my Orca 226 Lites.  I've worn them on short rides to rides of about 80 miles.  Since they are tri shorts, there's not much of a chamois, but I do like the less is more approach.  I also have an Adamo prologue saddle.

My faves are Desoto and Zoot. And I agree with less is more on Adamo.

do you and Janyne find that the Desotos run small?

I find that most tri clothing runs small.

me too!

So true!

2016-07-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow. just wow.

No bugs for me, just the heat and humidity and sometimes, gators.   Although running in our weather taxes our systems and allows us to not completely die when we leave the area and run hills, there is nothing we can really do and no amount of taxing our systems that can properly prepare us for mountains.  I have some areas that have short, but very steep hills.  I can run repeats on them all day long and when I go to the mountains I will be slow.  I won't be as slow as if I wasn't running them and running in hot, humid weather, but it will not be pretty.   Which is why I know that when I run the Asheville HM in a month or so I will not be a happy camper!  

On the flip side, it seems that heat and humidity affects those not used to it more than hills affect we Floridians, so when visitors come to run races here they really have a very hard time.  

Chris is right on about November Florida weather - you never know what you're going to get.  But, the humidity should be down.  It still will probably seem high to you since you don't have any at all.   

Yeah... your 95 squared (95*X95%) had me dying at 7.5 miles! I got home and ran a few days later in the 90's and was fine. I can do heat, it's the soggy air that kills me! As for alligators, I was really surprised not to see a single one. DS2 warned me where to keep an eye so I wouldn't accidentally step on (or near) one, but I never saw one. I'll admit I was a bit disappointed.

ETA:  I started running at sunrise so it probably wasn't 95* until a mile or two in

Edited by rrrunner 2016-07-13 1:30 PM
2016-07-13 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Oh oh I can play too, now that I can convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. 35c is 95f, When I got back from my run it looked like I went swimming instead of running and I was even taking advantage of the cooler shaded trails. Sticky humid too -> Stumid.

2016-07-13 7:29 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I know you guys are all going to roll your eyes at this one but I went for another bike fit yesterday! It's actually been 2 years since my last one and I needed some piece of mind that the bike really fits me and maybe take another stab at this saddle thing. So the short of it is - yes, my front end setup did not change. We did add some shims to my left shoe which seems to have calmed down some 1 sided rocking I had and made my pedal stroke match the other side (acceptable angle range). Then the saddle........so we made some changes there and I left with an Adamo pn1.1 to try. It's the only one I pretty much didn't scream NO right out of the gate. I took it for a quick 1 hr spin today - here's my review: left side "this is awesome!" ride side "we're not sure about this....." So for the ladies, question for you - what are you favorite TRI shorts? I have Coeurs and LGs that I wear regularly. I don't love any of them like I love my LG BIKE shorts but I'm trying to see if the whole less is more thing for the Adamos is true. I also have Voler and 2xu which I hate. I had a pair of Desotos once but they were SO FREAKIN TIGHT I returned them. Maybe I should try again and size up? How about Zoot?

i love my Orca 226 Lites.  I've worn them on short rides to rides of about 80 miles.  Since they are tri shorts, there's not much of a chamois, but I do like the less is more approach.  I also have an Adamo prologue saddle.

My faves are Desoto and Zoot. And I agree with less is more on Adamo.

do you and Janyne find that the Desotos run small?

I find that most tri clothing runs small.

me too!

Or to rephrase that most tri stuff runs friggin tiny
2016-07-13 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I cannot play the heat/humidity game right now. I think Oregon is quite possibly the only place in the country (with the possible exception of places at really high altitude) where highs have been in the 70's most of the summer (some days even in the 60's). In Saigon, 95 squared is a pretty normal day. One reason I run really early in the morning! The absolute worst was Danang last year--I believe according to Yanti's husband it was 104 or 105 on the course during the run.....and it definitely wasn't a dry heat. This year, it was a comparatively "cool" 90 degrees and 93% humidity.

Tri shorts--I usually race in a one-piece but I have a few pairs for training. Zoot has been hit or miss. I think I've owned three pairs over the years and been happy with one of them. My favorite are from SLS3 (slstri.com). I got them in Singapore with a voucher that I won at a race. Very comfortable for both bike and run, great fit for me, and just the right amount of compression. They are good value and mine have held up well to a lot of abuse.

Yep, tri stuff (and bike stuff) runs tiny. I am usually a medium and I am about a size 2 in regular clothes. Small might fit around my waist but there is no way my chest or butt are going in, even though neither exceeds 34 inches! Assume the small is for a pre-pubescent girl, or perhaps a shorter woman with an even smaller frame who is truly petite.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-07-13 7:39 PM
2016-07-13 8:14 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Your last paragraph nails it. LMAO
2016-07-13 8:27 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Master
Northern IL

Not quite the same, though doesn't go perfectly smooth on the men's side either. 6'3" and often trying to fit into a Medium. You'd think an athletic build would work well with athletic gear, but that certainly hasn't been the case. Cut circulation off in the legs or have the middle flap around in bibs or a trisuit. Trying to find a decent leg length on any type of shorts is a lost cause. Seem to have extra long femurs as it always seems short.

2016-07-13 8:39 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Tri stuff doesn't run small - what are you guys talking about?!?! hahahaha I wear a medium in most shirts so I ordered the medium size for the Boulder Peak. It is so small that I'll never be able to wear it, which is okay since the race was cancelled.

I do love my 2XU Long Distance Tri shorts. Maybe because the medium in these is a bit to big, unlike any other tri shorts I've ever tried. I have tried other styles of the 2XU and they just didn't work for me. Unfortunately they don't make this style anymore.

I hate buying regular clothes and buying tri clothes is a nightmare!

2016-07-13 9:40 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by brigby1

Anyone following the TdF this year? I like the looks of BMC(I love me an underdog), but Sky is gonna be tough to beat.

Predictions?

I predict whichever rider has the best motor hidden in his bike   Ok, I may have only watched a few minutes of it , so I'm just going with Yates since he has the same last name as my BIL.

He did well yesterday!  Mountain top finish.  Hail. Yikes!  Now I need to Google when was the last time the white jersey was also the yellow jersey...  Wikipedia says, "Since the young rider classification was introduced in 1975, it has been won by 35 different cyclists. On four occasions a cyclist has won the young rider classification and the general classification — Fignon in 1983, Ullrich in 1997, Contador in 2007 and Schleck in 2010."

Was going to say, might not like some of these guys either.

Been following highlights, but haven't had a chance to watch much. Could get really interesting Wednesday and after. I keep looking at the one out of Berne too. Cat 1 & HC in the last 30k. OMG!

Yes, I can see some at work streaming in my future

Disappointing to see that the Mt Ventoux finish tomorrow is being shortened up, but it's the right call with wind speeds expected to be at least 60 mph up past the trees. Could still be interesting with crosswind potential breaking apart the draft strength.

For those unsure of that, strong crosswinds can shift the draft pocket to angle off the side instead of straight behind. Might also shrink it some. The significance there is straight behind has virtually unlimited space to continue out a line, but if it's at an angle the train of people will get to the edge of the road fairly quick. If the draft lessens quite a bit then there is more potential for gaps to open and break aways to happen as the peloton loses some strength.

2016-07-14 12:25 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Anyone following the TdF this year? I like the looks of BMC(I love me an underdog), but Sky is gonna be tough to beat.

Predictions?

I predict whichever rider has the best motor hidden in his bike   Ok, I may have only watched a few minutes of it , so I'm just going with Yates since he has the same last name as my BIL.

He did well yesterday!  Mountain top finish.  Hail. Yikes!  Now I need to Google when was the last time the white jersey was also the yellow jersey...  Wikipedia says, "Since the young rider classification was introduced in 1975, it has been won by 35 different cyclists. On four occasions a cyclist has won the young rider classification and the general classification — Fignon in 1983, Ullrich in 1997, Contador in 2007 and Schleck in 2010."

Was going to say, might not like some of these guys either.

Been following highlights, but haven't had a chance to watch much. Could get really interesting Wednesday and after. I keep looking at the one out of Berne too. Cat 1 & HC in the last 30k. OMG!

Yes, I can see some at work streaming in my future

Disappointing to see that the Mt Ventoux finish tomorrow is being shortened up, but it's the right call with wind speeds expected to be at least 60 mph up past the trees. Could still be interesting with crosswind potential breaking apart the draft strength.

For those unsure of that, strong crosswinds can shift the draft pocket to angle off the side instead of straight behind. Might also shrink it some. The significance there is straight behind has virtually unlimited space to continue out a line, but if it's at an angle the train of people will get to the edge of the road fairly quick. If the draft lessens quite a bit then there is more potential for gaps to open and break aways to happen as the peloton loses some strength.

Spoiler alert
This is pretty much what I saw start to happen last night (just before I went to bed). They saying that in a place a little further up the road would narrow to a point that at most they would get 4 or 5 riders across and teams were grouping and jostling at the front as a result. The peloton was just starting to break up when i called it a night.
2016-07-14 6:31 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I need a pep talk, or maybe some sage words of wisdom. I know the Manatee Chant is DOOOOOO EEEEEET, but I'm hesitant. See, there is a small part of me questioning if I'm actually ready for an Oly distance. I haven't signed up for the race yet....
Its the run I'm worried about. The swim, I'm sure I can do it. The bike...it won't be fast, but I know I can do that, too. But the run...this Zone 2 training has me going so slow, and I wonder if I'll ever get anywhere near 6 miles of long runs before race day. Right now I think I'm a titch over 4 miles. 14 minute miles may be what my heart muscle needs right now, but it certainly isn't what my heart & soul want!
I don't know. I suppose I could always walk it in if it came down to it? I've been looking forward to doing an Oly all summer....maybe this is just doubt. Thoughts?

And on tri clothes: how come the same size doesn't even fit the same across all the colorways? L in the nice "slimming" black shorts from Coeur, and I loved them so much I wanted to get a whole kit. Tried some on at the local tri shop, and found I had to size up top AND bottom to make sure things weren't sheer. What's that about?

Edited by Atlantia 2016-07-14 6:32 AM
2016-07-14 7:53 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

favorite race pic

(138176-030-024f.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
138176-030-024f.jpg (34KB - 4 downloads)
2016-07-14 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

favorite race pic

I cannot even begin to say how much I love this pic!!

2016-07-14 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

favorite race pic

I cannot even begin to say how much I love this pic!!

Yeah, where is the dang "Like" button!

2016-07-14 8:24 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by DaveL Oh oh I can play too, now that I can convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. 35c is 95f, When I got back from my run it looked like I went swimming instead of running and I was even taking advantage of the cooler shaded trails. Sticky humid too -> Stumid.

Stupid Humid!

2016-07-14 8:29 AM

User image

I need a pep talk, or maybe some sage words of wisdom. I know the Manatee Chant is DOOOOOO EEEEEET, but I'm hesitant. See, there is a small part of me questioning if I'm actually ready for an Oly distance. I haven't signed up for the race yet....
Its the run I'm worried about. The swim, I'm sure I can do it. The bike...it won't be fast, but I know I can do that, too. But the run...this Zone 2 training has me going so slow, and I wonder if I'll ever get anywhere near 6 miles of long runs before race day. Right now I think I'm a titch over 4 miles. 14 minute miles may be what my heart muscle needs right now, but it certainly isn't what my heart & soul want!
I don't know. I suppose I could always walk it in if it came down to it? I've been looking forward to doing an Oly all summer....maybe this is just doubt. Thoughts?

And on tri clothes: how come the same size doesn't even fit the same across all the colorways? L in the nice "slimming" black shorts from Coeur, and I loved them so much I wanted to get a whole kit. Tried some on at the local tri shop, and found I had to size up top AND bottom to make sure things weren't sheer. What's that about?

You are saying the exact words before signing up for a race that I was saying during my race. After I fell coming out of transition and couldn't run, all I could think was that maybe I shouldn't be doing this distance.

First, before my Avengers HM in November, my coach had me running way under what I thought I needed to be training at. He did have faster runs in there, but all of my long runs were easy to mod. I thought there was no way in heck that I would be able to finish the race let alone get below a 2:10. Not only did I finish, but I was at a 2:08 and could have gone faster if the crowds wouldn't have been there.

You can do the Oly. If you have to do a run/walk then you do a run/walk. Trust the training. It works. My longest bike ever before IM was 72 miles I think. I did the 112. The longest run was 18, but broken up into a 12 mile run in the morning and a 6 mile in the evening. You can do it. Trust it.

Now back to clothes - Have you ever noticed that if you buy the exact same pair of pants in a few different colors, they never fit the same? Ever. Why?

Why do pants in short length or even petite cost more than regular or long? Same with dresses and skirts.
2016-07-14 8:29 AM

User image

favorite race pic

Love!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.