BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-10 12:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by awm007 I'm in! I hope it's OK I already put my goals in there. Also, I would like to put swim yard goals for my distance goals as I'm training time and power on the run and bike currently. Would that be OK?

Sounds good to me.  We may have to adjust a formula, but it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm happy to add a column to everyone's over/under that makes it a percentage if you want (i.e., percent over/under). Just let me know.

I also added conditional format for red font if the over under is negative. Hope that is OK. Easy to remove that if it's not desired.

Edited by awm007 2019-01-10 12:34 PM

2019-01-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by awm007 I'm in! I hope it's OK I already put my goals in there. Also, I would like to put swim yard goals for my distance goals as I'm training time and power on the run and bike currently. Would that be OK?

Sounds good to me.  We may have to adjust a formula, but it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm happy to add a column to everyone's over/under that makes it a percentage if you want (i.e., percent over/under). Just let me know.

I also added conditional format for red font if the over under is negative. Hope that is OK. Easy to remove that if it's not desired.

I am so glad to see there is another Excel enthusiast in this group ))) Yes for percentage!
2019-01-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by lisac957

Hey Karl! I would consider myself a flatlander (trained in Kansas up until last year) and Lake Logan Half was the most difficult bike course I've ever done. There are two 9%+ grade hills, one in the last couple of miles. I managed to stay in the saddle for all of them, but on both I passed people off their bikes and walking up. They're do-able, but certainly beasts. 

I'm on the fence for doing the Oly this year ... it's about a 3-hour drive for me, which is my limit for solo driving. I may need a tune-up before Augusta 70.3 though. 

Would be great to meet you, Janyne, Hands and any other Manatees up for the race in person, so hopefully it will work out!
2019-01-10 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm happy to add a column to everyone's over/under that makes it a percentage if you want (i.e., percent over/under). Just let me know. I also added conditional format for red font if the over under is negative. Hope that is OK. Easy to remove that if it's not desired.

Awesome! I certainly think that the intent was that these sheets are a group project ;-)

2019-01-10 2:05 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by marysia83

I am so glad to see there is another Excel enthusiast in this group ))) Yes for percentage!

Totally. I had an internship a long time ago where instead of hiring a proper computer programmer, they told me to go to the bookstore and buy a book and learn VBA (visual basic for applications) that runs in Excel. It's amazing how powerful Excel can be once you get over the learning curve.
2019-01-10 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm happy to add a column to everyone's over/under that makes it a percentage if you want (i.e., percent over/under). Just let me know. I also added conditional format for red font if the over under is negative. Hope that is OK. Easy to remove that if it's not desired.
Totally. I had an internship a long time ago where instead of hiring a proper computer programmer, they told me to go to the bookstore and buy a book and learn VBA (visual basic for applications) that runs in Excel. It's amazing how powerful Excel can be once you get over the learning curve.

Every once in a while i wish i knew Excel, the moment soon passes!

2019-01-10 2:29 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I am totally buying that book!!
I absolutely love Excel, I have half of my life in spreadsheets, but there so many things I struggle with because I struggle with some logic concepts (you may remember my frustration with stats classes... ugh...)
2019-01-10 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I work in Financial Services, in the tech side. We have a running joke about CFO's writing memo's in Excel. I may have some stories I could share, but I'll leave it alone.

Have at it on the spreadsheet, I'll take any improvements any one wants to make!

2019-01-10 7:32 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I work in Financial Services, in the tech side. We have a running joke about CFO's writing memo's in Excel. I may have some stories I could share, but I'll leave it alone.

Have at it on the spreadsheet, I'll take any improvements any one wants to make!

What on earth is wrong with writing memos and letters in excel? I don't understand the issue
2019-01-10 8:03 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I have entered my weight and mileage in kilograms and kilometers as it makes more sense to me and it means I don't have to convert them each week. Looking at the formulae in the spreadsheet it shouldn't create any problems.
2019-01-10 8:43 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I am not sure what I want to do for the challenge. I can think of a couple of ideas but can't decide. My diet could use work, but I live with Mom and she has her taste in food as well. Some of meal-planning (and not planning LOL) is out of my control. I do eat a lot of healthy food, but I think sometimes too much sugar and refined carbs as well. Not so much as I like it all that much as I'm keeping Mom company eating. Also pretty hard to quantify that stuff.

Guessing my diet would horrify a lot of athletes at my level. (Ramen, ice cream, PBJ make regular appearances. I have been accused, by my own students, of eating like a 10-year-old!) I do like veggies and salads and fruit and eat them regularly, but trendy "superfoods" like kale and quinoa have not passed down my gullet in months. I would eat them if served them, to be polite....I guess.

Also thinking about some kind of strength or flexibility challenge, maybe doing so many minutes per day of one or both. That's something I could easily do on my own time. I really don't do enough of it. Something always feels tight, and strength....well, let's just say it's always been a limiter!

Don't want to do anything related to swim/bike/run volume as I am already involved in a USAT team challenge with my online club. So right now I am logging workouts on TP, BT (because I like the graphs and yearly totals and Manatees), and a USAT contest site. Arrrgh!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-01-10 8:44 PM

2019-01-11 4:47 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

LOL I work as a graphics person in a civil engineering firm. Engineers are also excel lovers
2019-01-11 7:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner I am not sure what I want to do for the challenge. I can think of a couple of ideas but can't decide. My diet could use work, but I live with Mom and she has her taste in food as well. Some of meal-planning (and not planning LOL) is out of my control. I do eat a lot of healthy food, but I think sometimes too much sugar and refined carbs as well. Not so much as I like it all that much as I'm keeping Mom company eating. Also pretty hard to quantify that stuff. Guessing my diet would horrify a lot of athletes at my level. (Ramen, ice cream, PBJ make regular appearances. I have been accused, by my own students, of eating like a 10-year-old!) I do like veggies and salads and fruit and eat them regularly, but trendy "superfoods" like kale and quinoa have not passed down my gullet in months. I would eat them if served them, to be polite....I guess. Also thinking about some kind of strength or flexibility challenge, maybe doing so many minutes per day of one or both. That's something I could easily do on my own time. I really don't do enough of it. Something always feels tight, and strength....well, let's just say it's always been a limiter! Don't want to do anything related to swim/bike/run volume as I am already involved in a USAT team challenge with my online club. So right now I am logging workouts on TP, BT (because I like the graphs and yearly totals and Manatees), and a USAT contest site. Arrrgh!

I feel your pain. I've been going back and forth on what and how and when for a while now and the only thing I know is that I need to lose weight. Maybe not your need. And can't imagine tracking and logging everything in multiple places. All of the logging stuff feeds to everything else for me.  So, if I need to make notes or extra stuff, it happens here and I am done. Three places would kill me.

2019-01-11 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We are nearly ready to roll out the challenge, which will start on Monday, 1/14. I noticed a number of entries into the sheets, which was cool to see. Let us know if you have any questions, evidently we have a full compliment of spreadsheet loving Manatees that are ready, willing and able to help. Who knew?

And let us know in here what you are doing and maybe a little bit of why you are doing it. Enjoy the weekend everyone!!!

2019-01-11 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner I am not sure what I want to do for the challenge. I can think of a couple of ideas but can't decide. My diet could use work, but I live with Mom and she has her taste in food as well. Some of meal-planning (and not planning LOL) is out of my control. I do eat a lot of healthy food, but I think sometimes too much sugar and refined carbs as well. Not so much as I like it all that much as I'm keeping Mom company eating. Also pretty hard to quantify that stuff. Guessing my diet would horrify a lot of athletes at my level. (Ramen, ice cream, PBJ make regular appearances. I have been accused, by my own students, of eating like a 10-year-old!) I do like veggies and salads and fruit and eat them regularly, but trendy "superfoods" like kale and quinoa have not passed down my gullet in months. I would eat them if served them, to be polite....I guess. Also thinking about some kind of strength or flexibility challenge, maybe doing so many minutes per day of one or both. That's something I could easily do on my own time. I really don't do enough of it. Something always feels tight, and strength....well, let's just say it's always been a limiter! Don't want to do anything related to swim/bike/run volume as I am already involved in a USAT team challenge with my online club. So right now I am logging workouts on TP, BT (because I like the graphs and yearly totals and Manatees), and a USAT contest site. Arrrgh!

Oh boy, I relate to so much in this. My mother doesn't live with me full time, but she lives with me for big chunks of time. She's been with me for the past 2 + months now and with her here there is no meal planning! To be fair, there isn't much when she's not here  But, I am vegetarian, she is not. She eats very, very little and eats a pretty bland diet, but one filled with various sources of chocolate! Since she can't get around on her own while she's with me, i feel obligated to get her out of the house, so we eat out A LOT!  This adds lots of calories to my meals and takes away lots of money from my wallet.  The chocolate available at all times and in large quantities coupled with eating out so much has helped me gain 10 pounds since Chattanooga. Which is why, I started my diet this past Monday, not waiting for the official start of the GoJo challenge.  It should be noted that my mother has not gained any weight while here -she's still skinny. I may hate her    

I also relate for the need to do some flexibility and strength training, but struggle to find the time to fit it all in. Over the holidays I started to do 15 minute yoga routines that are available through Sufferfest.  I have not been able to do them all the days the plan calls for, but i am doing them a few times a week. They have really pointed out how weak I let my core get and how totally unbendy I am!!

I will join the weight loss challenge, not sure about any of the others as I am training for Choo 70.3, so i have a plan for SBR.  

2019-01-11 8:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

We are nearly ready to roll out the challenge, which will start on Monday, 1/14. I noticed a number of entries into the sheets, which was cool to see. Let us know if you have any questions, evidently we have a full compliment of spreadsheet loving Manatees that are ready, willing and able to help. Who knew?

And let us know in here what you are doing and maybe a little bit of why you are doing it. Enjoy the weekend everyone!!!

One of my goals will be to lose at least 1 lb. a week, another to go for at least a 15 minute walk every day, preferably during work hours (lunch) to break up my daily sit fest.  This will have the added bonus of getting some daylight to help combat SADD.  No other activities count toward the walk; say I plan on running Monday.  The run will not count as the walk, I need to do both to reach my goal.

I will ponder some other sort of goal (perhaps a healthy eating goal) until the official start but for now that's what I've got.

Oh, and I love all the Excel talk and modifications!  (insert nerd emoji)

Edited by melbo55 2019-01-11 8:41 AM

2019-01-11 8:50 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Hi I am Erin and I am very new. Sorry I am late. I have started a "training program"
NAME: Erin

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm really private, I am trying to work on it. Twitter @BigGODlilme even though I barely go on

STORY: I am a 36 year old USAF veteran, who is currently working P/T and going to Nursing School. I have always loved to run and be active especially as a child. I have realized I have not made activity a priority for me in the past 20 years so I am hoping to form better habits. What better time than in Nursing School? I was working on goals for this year and the 12 year old in me said remember the triathlon you wanted to do. No excuses now. Better now than never. I am slim but not in the greatest shape, I am looking forward to building muscle and endurance. I did a 5K last May and stopped running again. I really hope to build habits and stay consistent.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very sweet and supportive man, 2 kiddos, 1 Fur baby who demands to be the only furbaby LOL

CURRENT TRAINING: On week two of the program on this site http://www.triathlon-hacks.com/best-beginner-triathlon-training-pro...

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I have browsed through some, I am hoping to do an Olympic event this year. My complete out of the box goal was a 70.3 but I don't want to injure myself

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Build a consistant foundation, and pursue my goals

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have a lot of questions and I am love encouraging people.
2019-01-11 9:09 AM

This is awesome, thank you. I didn't put myself in the weight category due to hopes of gaining muscle weight. I need to work on my food goals some more, but I am currently eating vegan until Jan 28.I tried to keep my goals consistant with the program I am following ( http://www.triathlon-hacks.com/best-beginner-triathlon-training-pro... ). However on days off I can probably walk more. Does mileage at work count? I am a CNA on a hospital unit lol I get 14,000 steps in 12 hours lol
2019-01-11 9:16 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by StaceyK

What on earth is wrong with writing memos and letters in excel? I don't understand the issue

Right...? That's the only legitimate way to write them!

To be fairly hones, I get lost in Word docs.... And if somebody did some weird formatting and added some funky stuff, you would be surprised how many times I decided to simply re-type the whole text just to have it on a plain white paper....
2019-01-11 9:22 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I am not sure what I want to do for the challenge. I can think of a couple of ideas but can't decide. My diet could use work, but I live with Mom and she has her taste in food as well. Some of meal-planning (and not planning LOL) is out of my control. I do eat a lot of healthy food, but I think sometimes too much sugar and refined carbs as well. Not so much as I like it all that much as I'm keeping Mom company eating. Also pretty hard to quantify that stuff.

Guessing my diet would horrify a lot of athletes at my level. (Ramen, ice cream, PBJ make regular appearances. I have been accused, by my own students, of eating like a 10-year-old!) I do like veggies and salads and fruit and eat them regularly, but trendy "superfoods" like kale and quinoa have not passed down my gullet in months. I would eat them if served them, to be polite....I guess.

Also thinking about some kind of strength or flexibility challenge, maybe doing so many minutes per day of one or both. That's something I could easily do on my own time. I really don't do enough of it. Something always feels tight, and strength....well, let's just say it's always been a limiter!

Don't want to do anything related to swim/bike/run volume as I am already involved in a USAT team challenge with my online club. So right now I am logging workouts on TP, BT (because I like the graphs and yearly totals and Manatees), and a USAT contest site. Arrrgh!

I like the idea of strength training, as that's actually my own challenge, separate from our Excel tracking.
Would we have more participants interested?
If so, would would be the best way to measure and track the progress? Days with strength training, like with days active?
If we do not have anymore than Karen and I, maybe the two of us could use the "days active" tab for the "strength days?

What do you think?

(side note, I hate the fact I cannot spell strength... this is the only one word I had to spell check and correct in the whole text, multiple times... grrr... I also cannot pronounce it :/ )
2019-01-11 9:27 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

One of my goals will be to lose at least 1 lb. a week, another to go for at least a 15 minute walk every day, preferably during work hours (lunch) to break up my daily sit fest.  This will have the added bonus of getting some daylight to help combat SADD.  No other activities count toward the walk; say I plan on running Monday.  The run will not count as the walk, I need to do both to reach my goal.

I will ponder some other sort of goal (perhaps a healthy eating goal) until the official start but for now that's what I've got.

Oh, and I love all the Excel talk and modifications!  (insert nerd emoji)

I participate in the mileage challenge My goals are running related. Even though I know I absolutely have to do all my runs for the upcoming marathon, yet, I am fantastic in finding excuses (my favorite one: "I was able to complete marathon successfully with only 15 miles longest run, so I should be fine"...), thus, I am hoping the challenge and an idea of logging my progress with other fellows will help me stay on track and focused on the training.

Thanks again for putting this excellent spreadsheet together!

2019-01-11 9:33 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

gain 10 pounds since Chattanooga. 

SAME, but for me it was a lack of moving and eating everything in sight.

Doing a January Whole30 right now and weight is going in the right direction. It's so hard though!

2019-01-11 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK I have entered my weight and mileage in kilograms and kilometers as it makes more sense to me and it means I don't have to convert them each week. Looking at the formulae in the spreadsheet it shouldn't create any problems.

Maybe some spreadsheet wiz can make a converter

2019-01-11 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For the Healthy Food one - I think just pick one thing. For example, last year we eliminated soda. We still have seltzer though. So it could be eat x vegetables a day, have a salad with dinner five days a week.

I like the strength/flexibility one a lot!

Agreed on the volume because my goal is to follow a training plan ;-)

2019-01-11 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK

Right...? That's the only legitimate way to write them! To be fairly hones, I get lost in Word docs.... And if somebody did some weird formatting and added some funky stuff, you would be surprised how many times I decided to simply re-type the whole text just to have it on a plain white paper....

My life is dealing with people who treat powerpoint as detailed reports and stuff everything into a presentation ... same but not the same ... working through one right now for two different groups who want different things

I do love excel too! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107