BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-07-02 12:01 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2
Stacey - Gold Coast Marathon (A Race)  on Sunday (first marathon!)
Robin P - The Bear on Thurdsay (part of Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain)

July 3 is Adam's birthday

Is anyone else racing?

Stacey, have fun this weekend!  Be smarter than Yanti!

I made it!

Did pretty much all the way with my mum, which was great cause we got each other through. It was pretty hot in the second half of the race.

I started to get blisters on the balls of my feet at the 16k mark. By 25k my feet were on fire. We walked from the 27k mark cause I just couldn't run any further. So we made it in about 6:20, slow but we finished. Unfortunately I now have blisters that are about 2" round on the balls of my feet as well as smaller ones on my toes - Yanti I'm not as bad as Kingsley I can walk kind of.

K didn't drink energy enough and got to the 19k mark. E finished in 4:20 or there abouts.

great job

2017-07-02 12:45 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by DaveL

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

I made it!

Did pretty much all the way with my mum, which was great cause we got each other through. It was pretty hot in the second half of the race.

I started to get blisters on the balls of my feet at the 16k mark. By 25k my feet were on fire. We walked from the 27k mark cause I just couldn't run any further. So we made it in about 6:20, slow but we finished. Unfortunately I now have blisters that are about 2" round on the balls of my feet as well as smaller ones on my toes - Yanti I'm not as bad as Kingsley I can walk kind of.

K didn't drink energy enough and got to the 19k mark. E finished in 4:20 or there abouts.

great job

Ouch! A big congrats on powering through and finishing though! Hope the feet heal up quickly.
2017-07-02 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

I made it! Did pretty much all the way with my mum, which was great cause we got each other through. It was pretty hot in the second half of the race. I started to get blisters on the balls of my feet at the 16k mark. By 25k my feet were on fire. We walked from the 27k mark cause I just couldn't run any further. So we made it in about 6:20, slow but we finished. Unfortunately I now have blisters that are about 2" round on the balls of my feet as well as smaller ones on my toes - Yanti I'm not as bad as Kingsley I can walk kind of. K didn't drink energy enough and got to the 19k mark. E finished in 4:20 or there abouts.

cngrats to all of you!! Sorry K had to stop. Now take care of those blisters. BTW, Lind of a weird place for blisters, doe you often get them there? 

2017-07-02 1:05 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

i had a weird thing- I think, happen with my strava-Garmin connection and wonder if anyone has had it happen or and or knows why it happened or even can happen. Rode my bike today, Garmin and strava do not agree with the distance and time. Strava shorted it.  How can that be when Strava gets its info from Garmin?? It wasnt an insignificant amount either, 41.8 v 43.3.  

2017-07-02 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

I made it! Did pretty much all the way with my mum, which was great cause we got each other through. It was pretty hot in the second half of the race. I started to get blisters on the balls of my feet at the 16k mark. By 25k my feet were on fire. We walked from the 27k mark cause I just couldn't run any further. So we made it in about 6:20, slow but we finished. Unfortunately I now have blisters that are about 2" round on the balls of my feet as well as smaller ones on my toes - Yanti I'm not as bad as Kingsley I can walk kind of. K didn't drink energy enough and got to the 19k mark. E finished in 4:20 or there abouts.

OUCH!! but great work. You all look pretty darn good, too!

2017-07-02 5:51 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK I made it! Did pretty much all the way with my mum, which was great cause we got each other through. It was pretty hot in the second half of the race. I started to get blisters on the balls of my feet at the 16k mark. By 25k my feet were on fire. We walked from the 27k mark cause I just couldn't run any further. So we made it in about 6:20, slow but we finished. Unfortunately I now have blisters that are about 2" round on the balls of my feet as well as smaller ones on my toes - Yanti I'm not as bad as Kingsley I can walk kind of. K didn't drink energy enough and got to the 19k mark. E finished in 4:20 or there abouts.

Nice going!

2017-07-02 6:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

i had a weird thing- I think, happen with my strava-Garmin connection and wonder if anyone has had it happen or and or knows why it happened or even can happen. Rode my bike today, Garmin and strava do not agree with the distance and time. Strava shorted it.  How can that be when Strava gets its info from Garmin?? It wasnt an insignificant amount either, 41.8 v 43.3.  

That is kind of weird! I think Strava tends to just take the data points for everything and apply their own equations & formulas to them. So somehow in the interpretation of things, like how to round a corner, or if there are errant GPS data points in there. I don't know how to explain that much though.

Power numbers tend to vary because Garmin uses Normalized Power and Strava uses X-Power (for the weighted power). Two different equations to essentially work at the same idea. Unsure how distance could be viewed that much. Average power is generally very much the same for ones I've looked at.

2017-07-02 6:22 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by brigby1

That is kind of weird! I think Strava tends to just take the data points for everything and apply their own equations & formulas to them. So somehow in the interpretation of things, like how to round a corner, or if there are errant GPS data points in there. I don't know how to explain that much though.

Power numbers tend to vary because Garmin uses Normalized Power and Strava uses X-Power (for the weighted power). Two different equations to essentially work at the same idea. Unsure how distance could be viewed that much. Average power is generally very much the same for ones I've looked at.

glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's odd!

2017-07-02 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

cngrats to all of you!! Sorry K had to stop. Now take care of those blisters. BTW, Lind of a weird place for blisters, doe you often get them there? 

Thanks guys, I'm feeling pretty great about it, but trying to keep a lid on it cause K didn't do so well.

I have never got blisters on the balls of my feet before and I didn't use new socks and my shoes have about 300k on them so I figured it was most likely because of my lack of running in the last month. But they are all good today cause I have popped and drained them but kept the skin in tact.

(IMG_2147.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2147.JPG (3154KB - 2 downloads)
2017-07-02 10:10 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Nice job! Back in my marathon days (haven't done one for over a decade; if I ever do again it will probably be part of an IM) I used to get blisters on the balls of my feet a lot. Didn't really seem to have much to do with shoes or socks, just a long and sweaty time on one's feet. Any seam or decorative stitching (if there's any kind of logo on the sole or side of the sock) will probably start rubbing after two or three hours. And socks that are awesome for a two or three hour run might not be for six hours plus. Just the nature of the beast. You could try baby powder in shoes and socks to keep things drier, and Body Glide or similar in areas where you've blistered in the past. Sometimes that works for me in HIM, sometimes not so much. A lot seems to depend on how dry I can keep my feet--they do better in dry weather where I don't sweat much, and cooler races where I can refrain from dumping lots of water over my head.
2017-07-03 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Wow, that is so awesome!   Well, not the painful, huge blisters but the fact that you and your mom did the race together and finished!  HUGE congratulations to you, your mom and E!  I love the picture with your smiling, proud faces!  Sorry to hear K did quite get to the finish.  Take care and heal those blisters!

Edited by melbo55 2017-07-03 9:03 AM

2017-07-03 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I ordered an AudioFlood Waterproof Ipod Shuffle and headphones yesterday. I'm hoping it will help me survive the long swims. I don't think I'll use it with anything that I am occupied with counting laps, but figure it'll be great when I'm doing and hour and a half non-stop.  I also ordered Gatorade endurance to give that a try since it will be on course at IMCHOO.I suppose I should try the chews too, so I don't have to carry 116 miles worth of my own.

ugh, I am so up in the air about what to do for my nutrition. I like the idea of not having to carry 116 miles worth of my own- in fact I haven't really figured out how to carry that much! But, I've been trying out EFS and really like the taste and cliff bars are working ok too. I'm still trying to figure out amounts. 

EFS is pretty compact. You can supplement with Clif shots or similar.  I like to use something on course but carry it. Then if I drop it or something, I know that I can still get it but I can focus on getting water at the aid stations.

2017-07-03 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

Congrats on sticking things out and getting the bling!

Great photo, thanks for sharing.

Re: blisters, let's talk socks... What are you wearing now? I've had good luck with Balega but I know some people who can only run long distances in something like WrightSocks (2-ply sucks so the layers rub each other rather than your skin)

2017-07-03 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

Thanks guys, I'm feeling pretty great about it, but trying to keep a lid on it cause K didn't do so well. I have never got blisters on the balls of my feet before and I didn't use new socks and my shoes have about 300k on them so I figured it was most likely because of my lack of running in the last month. But they are all good today cause I have popped and drained them but kept the skin in tact.

Were the blisters on the tips of your toes? If so, shoes may be too short.

2017-07-03 3:05 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

Thanks guys, I'm feeling pretty great about it, but trying to keep a lid on it cause K didn't do so well. I have never got blisters on the balls of my feet before and I didn't use new socks and my shoes have about 300k on them so I figured it was most likely because of my lack of running in the last month. But they are all good today cause I have popped and drained them but kept the skin in tact.

So I actually ended up with a few. The worst ones were right on the balls of my feet, on the sides near my big toes. Then because I change the way I was walking I got smaller ones on the inside of my feet under the ankle bone.

I currently use New Balance seam free socks. They are fairly thin but have been ok up till now but that is possibly because the longest run I have done has been 22k. My feet stayed dry the whole way so I don't know that moisture was really an issue. I did body glyde the soles of my feet which I haven't done before (I know nothing new on race day, but I was concerned how my feet would cope with the distance seeing it was double what I have ever done and I hadn't run much in the last month). I got a couple of small blisters on my toes but not on the tips of them more on the sides and underneath.

I have seen the double layer socks (they actually had them at the expo) but I don't really like the price tag that goes with them, but it would be far better than having the same problem again.
2017-07-03 8:16 PM

User image

Expert

I don't know why, but Strava tends to round down my up dates from both my watch and my bike computer.

2017-07-03 10:03 PM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

So I actually ended up with a few. The worst ones were right on the balls of my feet, on the sides near my big toes. Then because I change the way I was walking I got smaller ones on the inside of my feet under the ankle bone. I currently use New Balance seam free socks. They are fairly thin but have been ok up till now but that is possibly because the longest run I have done has been 22k. My feet stayed dry the whole way so I don't know that moisture was really an issue. I did body glyde the soles of my feet which I haven't done before (I know nothing new on race day, but I was concerned how my feet would cope with the distance seeing it was double what I have ever done and I hadn't run much in the last month). I got a couple of small blisters on my toes but not on the tips of them more on the sides and underneath. I have seen the double layer socks (they actually had them at the expo) but I don't really like the price tag that goes with them, but it would be far better than having the same problem again.

Congrats that is awesome!  Sorry K didn't get through it.

Regarding the price tag on socks: I agree, but the Wright socks really are worth the price.  I find they last pretty well.  That being said, I got blisters on the balls of my feet in my last race too, and don't usually.  Heat, substrate I am running on, etc.  Everything can have an impact.  Glad they are feeling better!

2017-07-03 10:06 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

I have noticed differences in Strava, TP, Garmin as well.  I figured it was just different data points, but it is true, it is strange!

2017-07-04 7:48 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

So excited just ordered my new bike and can't wait for it to arrive! Can't wait to get back to riding on the road again!
2017-07-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper So excited just ordered my new bike and can't wait for it to arrive! Can't wait to get back to riding on the road again!

Woo hoo!

2017-07-04 8:48 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by tomsimper So excited just ordered my new bike and can't wait for it to arrive! Can't wait to get back to riding on the road again!

Yay!  What are you getting?

2017-07-04 10:50 AM

User image

Yay!  What are you getting?

Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800 in bright orange so hopefully no other car will not spot me on the road and drive into me
2017-07-04 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2

Is anyone else racing?

So I actually ended up with a few. The worst ones were right on the balls of my feet, on the sides near my big toes. Then because I change the way I was walking I got smaller ones on the inside of my feet under the ankle bone.I currently use New Balance seam free socks. They are fairly thin but have been ok up till now but that is possibly because the longest run I have done has been 22k. My feet stayed dry the whole way so I don't know that moisture was really an issue. I did body glyde the soles of my feet which I haven't done before (I know nothing new on race day, but I was concerned how my feet would cope with the distance seeing it was double what I have ever done and I hadn't run much in the last month). I got a couple of small blisters on my toes but not on the tips of them more on the sides and underneath. I have seen the double layer socks (they actually had them at the expo) but I don't really like the price tag that goes with them, but it would be far better than having the same problem again.
I'd say a major factor was swelling caused from being on your feet for 6 hours. That, and them being wet. I've always suffered with blisters. Imanji socks have helped a bit in cooler weather/dry feet runs. The Altras I bought seem to help with the additional toe room. Although, I haven't really been running (or anything else for that matter :/ ) to really test them. Congrats on getting through it.
2017-07-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Injinji not imanji I have the new Jumanji film on my brain :D

Edited by Richardsdrr 2017-07-04 12:02 PM
2017-07-04 4:57 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JBacarella

I don't know why, but Strava tends to round down my up dates from both my watch and my bike computer.

I've noticed how Strava will truncate values too. 9.99 is not a 10 mile run. It'll say 9.9. You have to clear it to say you did it, little motivation there without that small rounding to help. What hands saw is just odd though as this doesn't explain that.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102