BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-13 9:53 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by Artemis

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by Artemis 2 days into my training plan and I'm right on track. I feel like I should put a dollar in a jar every day I'm on track and take one out if I miss a workout. Bribery does wonders for me.
I never thought of that. What an awesome way to invest in yourself and keep you on track for training! That cash could be used for a nice reward post event or to pay it forward to help someone else achieve a goal. I need to get a jar out and start that. Perhaps even add a bonus deposit for meeting a training goal. What say the Manatee's, what should the investment structure be? +1 daily workout, -2 missed workout, +2 or 5 for goal achievement, +x or -y for difference in event result (time/place), etc? Of course we should include other rewards, bonus, and penalties.

I'd say use whatever structure motivates you and make it as simple or complicated as you want.  If guilt motivates you, great, but if it doesn't, don't set yourself up to fail.  I used rewards (bribes, really) really effectively when I started training last year.  My rewards were gear (the list is on my blog if you're interested).  I've recently found that if my goal was to do x for y amount of time, I'd get discouraged and start getting down on myself if I messed up and had to start over.  For example, I currently have a goal of 4 weeks of strength training = a new foam roller.  While that's a great goal, I haven't been able to do it and it's really frustrating.  Distances worked really well in the past so I think distances and times will be my focus for now.

Your list is great!!!  I really want to replace my Fitbit One with a FitBit Charge HR, but I'm not sure how long of sticking to training plan = replacement for pedometer that is already causing problems.  Logically my brain says to end of training plan, but I don't want to wait that long.  

this is kind of where I am at with this one too Jen. I have been converting a Charge HR since I found out they were coming out. I have been going back and forth between using it as a reward or getting it now and using it as motivation to get up and run each day. Today I'm leaning towards the go and buy it now option.

2015-02-13 9:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by rrrunner I've also seen the $per mile approach. $1 or 50 cents or whatever. Of course for any of those to work for me if have to give up my current habit of buying when I see something I like or see a good deal. I'm thinking something BIG after my marathon. :D
If I hit my goals for my races this year I'm buying a Dooney & Bourke Mickey Mouse bag when I run the Avengers Half at Disneyland in November. I've never had a "real" purse and since I'm really 5 not almost 50 I thought this would be a something to aim for!

Ooh...good bribery!!  I might have to do something like that for the Disneyland Half in September.  They have really cool jackets.

Did you sign up for the Avengers Half already?

Registration for the Avengers opens April 7th. I hope my class can amuse themselves while I sit at my computer and wait impatiently to sign up!
2015-02-13 11:16 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

And now, for the stupid question of the day: is there anyway to record an inside track workout with my Garmin 910?  I do not have a foot pod.  The weather is going to be insane on Sunday with a high of 13* F and winds 25-35 mph, slight chance of snow.  I'm going to run with JLC from masters at the indoor track at the university where we swim.

I think you need a foot pod.  

Why would she need another pod? Whats wrong with this one?
Manatees don't have feet.
2015-02-14 12:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by Artemis 2 days into my training plan and I'm right on track. I feel like I should put a dollar in a jar every day I'm on track and take one out if I miss a workout. Bribery does wonders for me.
I never thought of that. What an awesome way to invest in yourself and keep you on track for training! That cash could be used for a nice reward post event or to pay it forward to help someone else achieve a goal. I need to get a jar out and start that. Perhaps even add a bonus deposit for meeting a training goal. What say the Manatee's, what should the investment structure be? +1 daily workout, -2 missed workout, +2 or 5 for goal achievement, +x or -y for difference in event result (time/place), etc? Of course we should include other rewards, bonus, and penalties.

I'd say use whatever structure motivates you and make it as simple or complicated as you want.  If guilt motivates you, great, but if it doesn't, don't set yourself up to fail.  I used rewards (bribes, really) really effectively when I started training last year.  My rewards were gear (the list is on my blog if you're interested).  I've recently found that if my goal was to do x for y amount of time, I'd get discouraged and start getting down on myself if I messed up and had to start over.  For example, I currently have a goal of 4 weeks of strength training = a new foam roller.  While that's a great goal, I haven't been able to do it and it's really frustrating.  Distances worked really well in the past so I think distances and times will be my focus for now.

Your list is great!!!  I really want to replace my Fitbit One with a FitBit Charge HR, but I'm not sure how long of sticking to training plan = replacement for pedometer that is already causing problems.  Logically my brain says to end of training plan, but I don't want to wait that long.  

this is kind of where I am at with this one too Jen. I have been converting a Charge HR since I found out they were coming out. I have been going back and forth between using it as a reward or getting it now and using it as motivation to get up and run each day. Today I'm leaning towards the go and buy it now option.

I'm leaning towards the just buying it option, too. Because today my Fitbit only logged 5,000 steps and I know I walked more than that.

I want the purple. I can preorder and have it in 8-10 weeks. Guess it will be a reward.

Edited by Artemis 2015-02-14 12:59 AM

2015-02-14 1:47 PM

User image

Master
3/4 of our racers should have their medals. Hope you guys had fun!
2015-02-14 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

well I'm finished but I don't have a medal because most of our races don't don't give medals or shirts. So you just get the joy of finishing.

I may well have finished last in my age group but to be honest I don't really care, totally smashed my goal time and actually RAN NEARLY ALL OF THE RUN!

Hey I didn't come last, I was faster than one other person in my age group.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-02-15 7:28 AM

2015-02-15 8:23 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

well I'm finished but I don't have a medal because most of our races don't don't give medals or shirts. So you just get the joy of finishing.

I may well have finished last in my age group but to be honest I don't really care, totally smashed my goal time and actually RAN NEARLY ALL OF THE RUN!

Hey I didn't come last, I was faster than one other person in my age group.

Brilliant work. Well done Stacey. I look forward to reading the race report
2015-02-15 1:08 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by 4agoodlife 3/4 of our racers should have their medals. Hope you guys had fun!
well I'm finished but I don't have a medal because most of our races don't don't give medals or shirts. So you just get the joy of finishing. I may well have finished last in my age group but to be honest I don't really care, totally smashed my goal time and actually RAN NEARLY ALL OF THE RUN! Hey I didn't come last, I was faster than one other person in my age group.
Brilliant work. Well done Stacey. I look forward to reading the race report

AGREED!!

2015-02-15 1:12 PM

User image

Great job, Stacey!! Cant' wait for the report.
2015-02-15 4:54 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Here's my race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Sorry I don't know how to make the link thing short.

There really isn't that much to read.
2015-02-15 5:05 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Way to go, Stacey!!  Running nearly the whole way and smashing your time goals are super awesome!!  Keep up the good work!

ETA:  BTW, to put in a short link, click the icon that looks like a couple of circles with a line connecting them (5th icon from the left, at least on my screen; it says "Insert/edit link" when you hover your cursor over it).  Then put in the URL on the first line of the pop-up screen, and put in the text you want on the 2nd (ex: in this case, you could type the words race report).

Edited by laffinrock 2015-02-15 5:10 PM

2015-02-16 12:14 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Way to go, Stacey!!  Running nearly the whole way and smashing your time goals are super awesome!!  Keep up the good work!

ETA:  BTW, to put in a short link, click the icon that looks like a couple of circles with a line connecting them (5th icon from the left, at least on my screen; it says "Insert/edit link" when you hover your cursor over it).  Then put in the URL on the first line of the pop-up screen, and put in the text you want on the 2nd (ex: in this case, you could type the words race report).

Thanks for that Mary. I will look next time, but on my ipad a lot of these things aren't available.
2015-02-16 4:43 AM

User image

Elite
sheepish hello from me.

Just saw that poor Yanti is down with chikungunya - a mosquito bourne disease. Fever and joint pain, really not pleasant from what i read.

She was supposed to fly to Australia tomorrow but not likely to be able to travel until mid march.

Sending love, melon presses, shoulder licks and nibbles.
2015-02-16 5:57 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jobaxas sheepish hello from me. Just saw that poor Yanti is down with chikungunya - a mosquito bourne disease. Fever and joint pain, really not pleasant from what i read. She was supposed to fly to Australia tomorrow but not likely to be able to travel until mid march. Sending love, melon presses, shoulder licks and nibbles.

uncomfortably warm {MELON PRESS} and sad SLURP ...

There is one positive. It makes you so depressed you want to off yourself, but I don't have enough energy to either do it or even care, really.

Incredibly bad humour is always welcome.

The fever and headache (unfortunately the joint pain is omnipresent ... this is the disease I got the lasting arthritis from, and it's REALLY bad right now) do spike but then also recede sometimes for as long as a couple hours so I do get some reprieve.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikungunya

2015-02-16 6:53 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Katy, Texas
So sorry to hear that Yanti. I hope you feel better soon!
2015-02-16 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Feel better soon, Yanti!

I think I managed to ride off my cold completely.  With Valentine's Day being last weekend, my rides took a hit time-wise, but I still have this weekend to finish building.  Two weeks out from my road racing debut.

2015-02-16 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jobaxas sheepish hello from me. Just saw that poor Yanti is down with chikungunya - a mosquito bourne disease. Fever and joint pain, really not pleasant from what i read. She was supposed to fly to Australia tomorrow but not likely to be able to travel until mid march. Sending love, melon presses, shoulder licks and nibbles.

There is one positive. It makes you so depressed you want to off yourself, but I don't have enough energy to either do it or even care, really.

The fever and headache (unfortunately the joint pain is omnipresent ... this is the disease I got the lasting arthritis from, and it's REALLY bad right now) do spike but then also recede sometimes for as long as a couple hours so I do get some reprieve.

Hoping you feel better soon!!
2015-02-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Orlando

Feel better Yanti!

2015-02-16 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I read that as going down on a chick......humour bad enough for you?

Rest and heal.
2015-02-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

It was a beautiful day for a trail race yesterday!  Official results are not posted yet, but I finished somewhere near the top of the women, cuz they handed me a fancy dancy water bottle as I crossed   I will ignore the fact that this was a really small race, so my odds of finishing in the water bottle were pretty good

Here's tje race report  race report!

Hey, thanks for the lesson on how to do the fancy race report link Mary!

2015-02-16 9:53 AM

User image

Feel better soon, Yanti! Make sure that furry little kitten of you give you cuddles and makes you laugh. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll send you Lilo.

2015-02-16 10:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by brigby1

And now, for the stupid question of the day: is there anyway to record an inside track workout with my Garmin 910?  I do not have a foot pod.  The weather is going to be insane on Sunday with a high of 13* F and winds 25-35 mph, slight chance of snow.  I'm going to run with JLC from masters at the indoor track at the university where we swim.

The lap button?

That'll get you time and HR data, but for the distance, I think you need a footpod.  The 920 will do it without the pod (not sure if it's in the HR monitor or the accelerometers in the watch).

So, the only reasonable approach is to get the 920.

Matt

Is it in the watch or the chest strap?

2015-02-16 10:08 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Yanti, I'm sorry. That one is really nasty. Rest as much as you can and get better soon
2015-02-16 10:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Sounds quite unpleasant, please get better soon, dear one.

2015-02-16 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Why would she need another pod? Whats wrong with this one?
Manatees don't have feet.

+1

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55366 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.