General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
Elite Racing Inc.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 37m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 217/471
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:15, ate oatmeal and made my pre-race peanut butter and jelly bagel to take with me. Drove to the finish line to park my car and take the shuttles to the start line. The race instructions said to get there 2 hours early because of the shuttle lines. Um, there were no lines and hardly anyone there yet! But I guess I'd rather be early than late. I didn't need any added stress. Got to the start area and was thankful that I brought all my warm clothes with me. I was erroneously thinking they'd have a tent or portable heaters or something where you could keep warm during the 1.75 hour wait I had to endure before the race started. Nope. Just thousands of runners milling around trying not to freeze their fat-free asses off. I drank some decaf coffee they provided and just sat on a wall and talked to some people around me. Visited the porta-potties, then headed over to bag check to check my clothes. Stripping down to my running skirt and short sleeve shirt (I had a throw-away Cherry Creek Sneak long sleeve shirt over it that I tossed later) was quite torturous at 40 degrees, but I knew I'd warm up quickly. My teeth were chattering.
Event warmup:

I mostly just warmed up my jaw talking to people. I knew I'd take it out slow, so I didn't really warm up other than jumping up and down trying to keep from freezing. Lined up with my corral and it was time to start. It was a little surreal because I just kept thinking 26.2....26.2....26.2. I knew I'd be out there a long time. Mostly I was worried about the last 6 miles that everyone talks about and the fact that my longest training run was 3:15, so anything beyond that was uncharted territory for me. I was also worried about my feet. I had to walk SO FAR through downtown the day before to get to packet pickup because of the masses of people doing the same thing that I got blisters!! Here I was lining up for a marathon with blisters. Great. I just hoped that they wouldn't give me problems.
Run
  • 4h 37m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first marathon, and my biggest fear was going out too hard and blowing up and having a miserable second half. I knew I needed to take it very conservatively for the first half. I knew I shouldn't get caught up in trying to keep a particular pace, but I would have loved to run a 4:15. Yeah, that didn't happen. Nor did a 4:30, but I quickly realized that I just needed to worry about finishing than worry about pacing. I stayed with the 4:30 pace group for a while, but then I just did my own thing.

The first thing I noticed right from the start was that my heartrate was NOT cooperating. I get race anxiety that majorly affects my heartrate, so today was no different. It was a lot higher than it should have been, and it played a part for the rest of the race. All I could do was watch it and back off if things got too high. At the start line, I realized that I should have used the porta-potty one last time, so I knew I'd have to go out on the course somewhere. The lines were too long during the first few miles, and it seemed like every time I got to an aid station, I was so distracted by getting water that I would forget to look for the bathrooms! I finally peed at mile 11!! I couldn't believe I ran that long with that much pee in me :)

The race was pretty uneventful for me. I definitely ran the gamut of emotions. I was so thankful that I was ABLE to be there running a marathon. I thought about my family and the fact that I'm the first person in my family to ever do anything like this. I got really depressed a few times when I saw big groups of spectators cheering for thier family member or friend and I had no one there for me and felt really alone. I focused on taking sips of gel from my flask every now and then and drinking water to stay hydrated. Mostly, I just ticked off milestones - 10K, 1/2 mary, 16 miles (10 miles to go!), then 20 miles, then I got beyond the farthest I've ever run in a training run and just wondered how my body would feel. The legs were sore and starting to get heavy. My lower back was starting to tighten up. But other than that, everything was about as ok as I could expect. I was just dreading those last 6 miles everyone talks about! I thoguht I had prepared myself for how bad the last miles would be, but I had no idea! Talk about being so close yet so far away! But for me, it was really the last 3 miles that were so horrible. There were SO many people walking and man, it was tempting to walk too. My legs hurt so badly - I reached a realm of pain I'd never felt before. But every time I'd see someone walking, I'd say "uh uh - not me. I'm NOT walking in the last 3 miles of a marathon. I've made it this far, and I have basically nothing left to run compared to how far I've already come." Plus, I just didn't want the memory hanging over me of having to walk in my first marathon. So, the last 3 miles were excruciating, but it's during those moments that I learn the most about myself and how I can steel myself against the pain and just push through it. The lsst 3 miles were slow, but I kept going. I'm proud of myself.

Mile 1: 10:24 / Avg HR 139
Mile 2: 10:11 / Avg HR 151
Mile 3: 10:14 / Avg HR 153
Mile 4: 10:16 / Avg HR 154
Mile 5: 10:18 / Avg HR 155
Mile 6: 10:18 / Avg HR 156
Mile 7: 10:17 / Avg HR 156
Mile 8: 10:18 / Avg HR 158
Mile 9: 10:18 / Avg HR 157
Mile 10: 10:25 / Avg HR 159
Mile 11: 10:34 / Avg HR 157 (Bathroom break!)
Mile 12: 10:07 / Avg HR 159
Mile 13: 10:13 / Avg HR 161
Mile 14: 10:21 / Avg HR 163
Mile 15: 10:32 / Avg HR 163
Mile 16: 10:41 / Avg HR 164
Mile 17: 10:43 / Avg HR 164
Mile 18: 10:39 / Avg HR 163
Mile 19: 10:22 / Avg HR 163
Mile 20: 10:24 / Avg HR 163
Mile 21: 10:35 / Avg HR 164
Mile 22: 11:08 / Avg HR 161
Mile 23: 10:52 / Avg HR 161
Mile 24: 11:24 / Avg HR 160
Mile 25: 11:06 / Avg HR 161
MIle 26: 10:40 / Avg HR 162
What would you do differently?:

Pee closer to the start. Other than that, I think the race went pretty well and was about what I expected.
Post race
Warm down:

It actually hurt worse to walk! I had a medical volunteer approach me at the end because I must have looked horrible. She kept on asking me if I was dizzy. I just told her my legs didn't want to work anymore. I kept looking for those Spenco sandals that I heard they gave away last year. Those would have felt so good to change into. Nope. No Spencos. I got my chip removed, grabbed a popsicle and an emergency blanket, went to bag check to get my stuff and drove back to my hotel where I basically just laid in a coma for the rest of the day.

I did go to the convenience store and get 2 bags of ice for an ice bath. I tried THREE TIMES to get in that ice bath and I couldn't take it. I'd get my feet in and start lowering my body into it, and my calves would immediately cramp so badly I was in tears and close to screaming. I figured that I put myself through enough pain that day, I couldn't take anymore! I sacrificed a couple of days of better recovery for sparing myself the icy hell of that bathtub. Plus, when you start screaming in a hotel, people tend to call the police.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics. I'm just a slow runner, so I knew I wouldn't have a blazing fast marathon! I need to work on that whole race anxiety thing because it really does affect my HR.

Event comments:

Great race, lots of volunteers, nice flat course. I just don't know if I'd do another January marathon because of Colorado weather and training in the snow. I would suggest they not have the packet pickup/expo in downtown Phoenix. The $30 parking fees close to the expo were beyond ridiculous, and I felt like I was driving in NYC with the gridlocked traffic.

Last updated: 2007-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
04:37:11 | 26.2 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/471
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Pancake flat from Phoenix to Tempe. I learned there are a lot of mexican food restaurants, used car lots, and topless bars in that city.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-16 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

2008-01-16 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1159040

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: RE: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

Great job!  While you may not have known them personally, there were lots of folks (and BTers) cheering you on!  Great consistency on your pace!

Way to go marathoner!

2008-01-16 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Awesome race report... It think the elevated heart rate at the start of a race is normal... I just adjust it mentally and then it settles into its normal zones after a while...

I thought your split times were very steady... you did slow on 24 and 25 but you found some juice on mile 26, so that is cool. Very gutsy!

In my last mary, I had a similar melt down on the last 3 miles and really, really wanted to walk. I didn't and that was huge for me... I PR'd and more importantly, I learned how to be gutsy... I think that is one of those IRONMAN intangibles that can't be underestimated.

And... isn't it really wild how in an endurance event like that we sometimes feel a whole spectrum of emotions?

Again, great job. I'm proud of you!!
2008-01-16 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

I already said it, but it bears repeating...you ROCK!! 

Your consistancy throughout the race is really impressive.  The mental strength you displayed will serve you well at CdA.  Nice job!

2008-01-16 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
Awesome race!!! Very consistent pace, and for your longest run at 3:15, that's an amazing time! I had the same thing happen. The bathroom line was so long, I decided to hold it, I made it all the way through the race, barely...
2008-01-16 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

We were cheering for you all the way from Algonquin, IL!!!

Congratulations on a great race! Be proud of yourself!!!

2008-01-16 10:41 AM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

You're report makes me sad....

Ice baths suck - I don't care iof they are good for you, they suck.

There sure was a lot of pee in your race report.

I'm proud of you too.

(for everyone.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
for everyone.jpg (46KB - 49 downloads)
2008-01-16 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Great race!  And congratulations on toughing out those last few and not walking, that speaks volumes about how mentally tough you were for this race. 

I agree about the January marathon, training in Colorado is better for a Nov./Dec. mary.

2008-01-16 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

You did awesome!!!  I'm proud of you too.

Enjoy your recovery...there's more pain in your future.

CDA...Here we come!

2008-01-16 3:45 PM

User image

Congrats again to you my friend! I would have loved to have loved to see you cross the finish line but even though that didn't work out we were thinking about you and sending you positive vibes. You did so well and accomplished something huge. You are right about the training...October marathon worked so well for the Colorado weather. Next year lets do Chicago together!

Again, way to go!!

2008-01-16 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1160292

User image

Master
Colorado

You. are. awesome.

Way to show some mental fortitude!  Sounds like an epic weekend to me.  I'm proud of you!  I also hate ice baths, and in fact have rid them of my life.  I now do the lay on your back with your legs up against the wall until your feet get a little tingly.  It seems to mimic the ice bath for me.  Throw in a little massage while they are up on the wall and it feels much better.  However, after a marathon, I think I would have to be put down.  Do they have vets at the finish?

Question remains... did you biolage your hair for the race?

2008-01-16 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Denver
What a great accomplishment, you did amazing!  I remember a while agao when you had a track workout & said something along the lines of how you have a hard time pushing yourself very hard on the run.  Its gotta be great to know that you have that inside of you now.  And just think, you can re-create that feeling any time you want from now on by dumping some ice in a tub.  Congrats!
2008-01-16 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

It was a little surreal because I just kept thinking 26.2....26.2....26.2.

Yeah, I bet!!!!   I could have uh, told you not to arrive two hours early though.   NO one arrives THAT early.   Well, maybe people who are super organized like yourself.

Talk about being so close yet so far away! But for me, it was really the last 3 miles that were so horrible. There were SO many people walking and man, it was tempting to walk too. My legs hurt so badly - I reached a realm of pain I'd never felt before. But every time I'd see someone walking, I'd say "uh uh - not me. I'm NOT walking in the last 3 miles of a marathon. I've made it this far, and I have basically nothing left to run compared to how far I've already come." Plus, I just didn't want the memory hanging over me of having to walk in my first marathon. So, the last 3 miles were excruciating, but it's during those moments that I learn the most about myself and how I can steel myself against the pain and just push through it. The lsst 3 miles were slow, but I kept going. I'm proud of myself.

This is the stuff of legend.   I bet you never though a simple MILE could ever be so long, let alone a measily .2!!

GREAT STUFF, Ms Rogers.

Phoenix has tons of topless bars huh?  

Edited by fromer 2008-01-16 7:34 PM
2008-01-17 2:52 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Wow, now those are some consistent splits if I ever saw any!  nice work Stacie!  You are awesome! 

That low back thing is the pits!  I know exactly what you are talking about! 

I'm so proud of you, you are amazing!

2008-01-18 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
Congrats on your first marathon!  Not so "slow" either...a very respectable time!!  I hear ya' on the lonely feeling when you don't have anyone spectating for you.  That's a long time to be out there by yourself when you feel like everyone around you has support.  I felt the exact same way at my marathon last weekend.  But YOU did it!  Great job.
2008-01-19 9:27 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

I love the fat free a$$e$ comment!

That must have been a quick potty stop or you just raced through.  Way to finish your first marathon!

I try getting in the tub and then filling the cold water, sort of helps with the adjustment. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed