Gulf Coast Triathlon
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 59m 18s
Overall Rank = 130/389
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 34/67
Pre-race routine:

Woke up WAYYYYYYY early, about 3:45 to get to the race site close to when T-area opened. I like to get there early since you never know what could come up before the race. Dressed, ate a waffle w/ PB, got our stuff together and walked about .25 mile to the race. Got there and there was already a short line to get into transition. It was odd, but we could never find a time that transition opened. Waited about 10 min and they started letting us in. Got body marked and found my rack. I was in a great spot, opposite end from bike in/out, but the first rack by run out! Very easy to remember. Set up all my stuff and finished by the time the rest of my rack arrived. Walked inside the hotel to the bathroom, ate a Snickers Marathon bar then waited around till it was time to head to the beach.
Event warmup:

Putting on wetsuit...walking to beach.
Swim
  • 36m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not real sure to start with this swim. I was a tad bit nervous before the start, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'd felt strong in the water the day before, so I wasn't too worried. Started in the front of my AG on the right side, my plan was to just get out there and go for it. When the gun sounded, I went out a bit and dove in to start swimming. Felt pretty good until I noticed I was WAY off course. It's hard for me to say how far away from the pack I was, but it felt like miles. The first boy seemed like 300 yards away- across, not ahead. For a split second, I thought OMG, I'm just going to DNF...I'll never make it back over there. I just started swimming towards the group again. I'm not sure if I was the only 'lost' one, but I definitely felt alone. Just kept working my way to the first buoy. After what seemed like eternity, I finally caught up to everyone. I was actually shocked to see that I was now with the AG that started in front of me. Still not sure how this happened, but whatever! Continued on..being carefully to sight often. It was hard b/c the waves were tall enough to cover the buoys. Just tried to follow yellow swim caps. Finally made it to the first turn, and felt a lot better...like I'd actually make it! Still had a hard time swimming straight, but didn't get as far off course. Made the last turn to head back to shore and tried to take advantage of riding in the waves. Sighting was easier since I could use the tall buildings and the flags at the finish. Made it to shore in what I really thought would be close to 1:00...I was shocked to see that I was so close to one of my goal times for the swim. Ran up the beach towards transition, happy that I didn't drown.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure. I would definitely try to sight better, but I hope it's something that I'll improve on with more practice...and I don't get much ocean OWS practice. Lakes are WAY different. I think I'd also start on the far left of my wave, close to the buoys. Continue to stay positive when the situation doesn't go as expected.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

As soon as I got off the sand onto the walkway, I stopped to take off my wetsuit, but we think that was before the timing mat. Felt like a slow transition, but it was a bit of a run from the swim to t-area. My rack was pretty close to where we ran into transition, so I felt lucky there. I was also the first person on my rack to get to my bike- YEAH! Decided to drink a 5-hr Energy in transition instead of when I was on the bike..that took maybe :20.
AG- 31/67

Not much looking back at it. But I know this time could be improved as I do this distance more.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel great about my bike! Started out feeling super, my legs didn't feel jelly-like like they did after the swim at John Tanner. I just felt happy to be out there. I'd drank a 5-hr Energy in T1 and planned to wait till I got on the bike to chase it with water. Well I quickly figured out that I'd forgotten to put my 1 bottle of water on my bike. OOPS! Luckily I had the 2 bottles of Accelerade, so I wasn't in too much trouble. I had to wait 10 miles till I got to the first water stop, but it wasn't a big deal. Spent the first 30 miles of the bike in a great mood, enjoying going fast. I wasn't watching my AVG MPH, but I was somewhere between 20-22/mph for the first 30 miles. I saw a lot of people drafting and a few people get penalties. It was kinda funny to watch it happen from behind. I was psyched. Then I hit the turnaround just past halfway. WIND. IT SUCKED! Instantly slowed down to between 16-18, it was tough!! I just kept doing the best I could and tried to keep my AVG as high as possible. Made it back to the bridge and knew I didn't have too far to go. The winds died a bit maybe the last 20:00 or so. I worked on picking up my speed again. The last 5:00 were a bit frustrating b/c there was a little bit of traffic on the bike route. I just made sure to watch out for the clueless cars that had no idea there was a race going on. Made it to transition and was excited that I had a lot bigger cushion than I'd expected!

Overall, great bike(about 1:00 faster than my A goal for bike), nutrition felt good(2x240 cal. Accelerade, 2-Gu's, 2-3 Shot Bloks, 1-2 Fig Newtons) , kept positive mentally.

Don't forget my only bottle with water. Continue to stay positive, a good mental attitude is everything. Continue to do bike intervals in training.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Not a bad T2, but could have been better. I decided on the bike that I had too much sand in my socks, so I rinsed feet, hastily applied Body Glide to feet, and changed socks. I had to grab extra socks from my T-bag since I didn't think I wanted them laid out. Didn't take too much time.
AG- 39/67

Rinse feet better in T1. Leave socks out just in case I want them. APPLY SUNSCREEN in T2, I've got permanent tri top tn and it's only May!
Run
  • 2h 28m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where my race went downhill. Overall, I'm satisfied with the run, but I KNOW I could do better. Started out seeing the NAMC tent- YEAH, this was awesome seeing everyone yelling and cowbelling!! Ran for maybe the first mile or so and decided to walk to adjust my Fuel Belt and race belt. Around this time, my quads were cramping bad. I was a little worried, but they felt fine once I had some Gatorade. I'm assuming I needed some electrolytes. Ran again for the first 3-4 miles except at aid stations and a pee break at mile 2 or so. It started getting noticeably hot. I guess somewhere between miles 2-3, I was running beside and a guy who started telling me jokes. It was awesome, but I think I was running too slow and he eventually continued on. It was a nice little boost. Kept on pushing myself to keep running as much as possible and walk at the aid stations. Made it to the park and probably had the hardest time in there. It was getting really hot and I walked a lot. I was starting to see my 2:30 cushion tick away. Just tried to hold on and run as much as I could by now. Drank water and Gatorade at every aid station, took sponges, those were awesome. As tired as I was, the miles really seemed to pass pretty quickly. I tried to stay positive and really before I knew it I was at mile 11, then 12, then I could hear the finish. Got to the last turn and knew that the NAMC tent was coming up. I really wanted to walk some more, but Iran so I didn't look like a big slacker. Ran past the tent and the finish. Glad to be done, but very happy about the race.

I doubt I'll wear a Fuel Belt anymore. It wasn't too bad, but it did make my low back hurt towards the end of the run. Carry electrolytes, or take some on the bike. Continue to work on my run in general.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to the tent to cheer for other club members. Drank a few waters before switching to beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The rough water on the swim, the wind on the bike and the heat on the run.

Event comments:

I thought this was a GREAT race! The course was challenging but fast, good race events and the run aid stations were awesome!! The local residents seemed to really get into the race, especially on the run. It was awesome! Overall, I feel really good about my race, especially since I was nervous about the flats. But I'm happy with the outcome and it was a good challenge. This was the hardest race I've done and the most challenging conditions. But, it was well worth it and we will definitely do this race next year!

Last updated: 2007-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:19 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/67
Overall: 67/389
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Fuzion sleeveless
Course: Out about 1000 yards, over 100+ yards, back in 1000
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:48:56 | 56 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/67
Overall: 91/389
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: All flat roads in Panama City and in rural surrounding areas.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:28:06 | 13.1 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/67
Overall: 208/389
Course: Loop course around Panama City.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-15 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2008-05-15 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1404661

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
Good job! You had a great race, be proud. That being said I KNOW you can go faster!! Something to work on for next time.  Watch out Steelhead.
2008-05-15 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Awesome Race! You were the rockstar of the day (next to j22 and brett). Despite the tough conditions you really put up a great time. You are going to have an awesome season!
2008-05-15 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Yipppeeee!!!  Great job out there, especially with coming up with your alternate strategies when things got tough (off course on the swim and the heat on the run).  Congratulations on another strong finish.
2008-05-15 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job! You should be really proud! I am! But, stop using that "getting off course" thing as a reason for being a slower swimmer!
2008-05-15 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

Everyone else made it out as though the conditions were so bad, after reading your report I think they're just not as mentally tough as you You had a great race, congratulations.  BTW, considering how fast you are in the water, it was nice of you to swim so much further to even the odds a bit.

2008-05-15 1:50 PM

User image

Elite

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Race Courtney!

Whoot Whoot!

You broke the 6-hour barrier!  That is HUGE and to be commended.

Funny to listen to you describe how you went way of course on the swim and magically wound up with your pack again.  It's not magic.  YOU'RE FAST!

Amazing Bike: Nearly 20 MPH for 56 miles with traffic, etc.  Wow!

A half marathon after all of that....and your pace is good.  I wouldn't bag on your run splits considering this is a 70.3 race.  I wouldn't give up any of your swim or bike speed to be a little faster on the run.  You're fast as you are!

On to the next adventure!  Steelehead awaits!

Great job Courtney!

2008-05-15 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Great race and report! Congratulations on your time -- you rock!!
2008-05-15 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
You are a ROCKSTAR!! You rocked this course, even while most everyone else was struggling. Your positive attitude is obvious from reading your race report - I'm sure that helped, keep that up. I agree, I know you can go faster, but this was DARN good!
2008-05-15 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Nice work Courtney!  Solid performance and way to adjust as needed.  Look out Steelhead.
2008-05-15 2:43 PM
in reply to: #1405138

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Great race.  I enjoyed your report.  You were way up there on the swim and bike.  It must have been a tough run since all you guys had trouble with it.

2008-05-15 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
NIce work going sub-6!!
2008-05-15 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Great job out there.  After we leapfrogged, you took off like you stole something.  I think you paced the day very well if you ask me.
2008-05-15 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
I know it's already been said but you are a RockStar! That is an great finishing time and you ROCKED that course. Congrats on an awesome performance.
2008-05-15 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
You really put together a great race. Perfect given the adverse conditions. Can you go faster? Yes, absolutely.. but first, enjoy this accomplishment. It's really something you should be very proud of. Excellent Race!
2008-05-15 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Crushing swim and bike..Now just visualize doing the same on the run..

Really impressive day!

2008-05-16 6:53 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
You should be very proud of your performance.  You had a great race!!!
2008-05-20 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Nice race, Courtney.  No matter what you say, the swim time was great, the bike split was great and finishing with just over 11 minute miles in the run, that's great too.  Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed