View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penticton, British Columbia
Canada
Total Time = 10h 57m 41s
Overall Rank = 292/
Age Group = M-25/29
Age Group Rank = 19/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, had a big bowl of oatmeal and a bagel with peanut butter. Gave my family some expected splits so they could figure out times to see me. This is what I gave them( Swim: 1:08, T1: 5mins, Bike: 5:50, T2: 5 mins, Run: 3:55 Finsih time of 11:03 although goal was to break 11 hours.)We were staying in Summerland so we had to drive in for the race, but it was only a 10 minute drive so we left at 5:15am. Found parking quickly and then got body marked and got my tires pumped up, threw on the wetsuit and waited patiently for the start.
Event warmup:

After the pros were sent off, I got in and did a quick 5 minute swim warm-up just to make sure I was good to go. No equipment issues, and a weird level of calm that I have never had on race day before. I was ready.
Swim
  • 1h 03m 46s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started on the far right as it looked like there was less congestion and about a row back from the front. We took off pretty quickly, but the pace felt smooth and easy and I was determined to hang onto a good draft for once. I managed to find some feet that were going at a pace that was almost perfect and I just sat in and tried to keep it comfortable. No problem until we hit the first houseboat when I got smacked in the head a couple of times by an overly aggressive guy trying to pass. Oh well, no problem, except that he must have whacked my goggles as I now had a weird pressure on the bridge of my nose that was giving me a killer sinus headache!!! This made the last half of the course a little tougher than the first bit as I was feeling a bit dizzy, although I manged to maintain focus and stick with the pack I was in. Finally hit the shore and I was very happy with my time, my goal swim time had been 1:08.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I had a better than expected swim, manged to stick with a good draft, so no complaints.
Transition 1
  • 06m 27s
Comments:

Took a little longer here then I wanted, I had a bad headache from the goggle pressure, but once I took off the goggles I felt good so I just made sure I was calm and got my stuff together for the ride.

I should have been faster, but the extra minute to regain focus was needed at that point.
Bike
  • 5h 41m 13s
  • 180 kms
  • 31.65 km/hr
Comments:

Speaking with a bunch of people who have gone sub 9.5 hours on this course helped bigtime. Every one of them said to take it easy to Richter even though people would be hammering past me. They said all these people who hammered to Richter would die by the end of the bike. I was glad I followed this advice, the ride to Richter was fairly uneventful, just made sure to get my nutrition and hydration dialed in, and to make sure I was feeling good. Richter was a good climb, but nothing too hard, just long and consistent. Once over Richter I started to pick up the pace and catch some of the early speed demons from the start of the ride. This was good mentally and I was riding strong. I ran out of gels and had to grab some chocolate power gels which caused some concern as these never sit well with me, but I had to get in some calories so I downed 2 of those and kept up my pace. Got to the out and back section, grabbed my cliff bar in special needs(Peanut Toffee Buzz, it was damn good after those crappy gels!!!) and kept on going. Had to hit up a porta potty at the next aid station as I really had to go pee. No lineup so no big wait which was good. Next up was the tough section to Yellow Lake and the climb, man driving this section just does not do this justice as it was a tough section mentally, but once over the top the ride back to Penticton was awesome. I was flying and realised I was going to have a pretty good bike split so that made me happy and I didn't feel like I had pushed too hard. The crowds on the course were great as well!!!

I'm not sure. I really need to think about my nutrition more, those power gels come back to haunt me on the run so I may have to play around with nutrition a bit more next year. Other than that I think the ride was pretty damn good, and I am happy with the time I got.
Transition 2
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Not much to do here, body glided my feet to ward of blisters, threw on my shoes and off I went.

Nothing.
Run
  • 4h 02m 32s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 05m 45s  min/km
Comments:

I strted out with the goal of holding 5 min km's for as long as I could. The problem was I went out fast for the first 5km and no matter what I told myself I couldn't slow down. I was holding 4:30's for the first 5km's which I knew was doom. Sure enough, at about 6.5 km's I was in trouble. A combination of stomach pain(chocolate pwer gels maybe? I'm not sure) and fatigue kicked in and I knew it would be a slog for the rest of the way. I ran with the occasional walk break, but my pace was falling off, and I was in the porta potties every couple of km's for the next 15k which didn't help me at all. Somehow with about 12 km's to go I started to feel good again and was running well between aid stations while walking the aid stations and taking in whatever I felt I needed. It was a pretty general rotation of pepsi, water, gatorade and the occasional soup. Before I knew it I was back in town with only a few km's togo and feeling great, my running had come around and for the last 5km's I had been holding 5 min km pace again. I ran down to lakeshore, cursed everyone I could think of for putting in that cruel out and back turnaround on lakeshore, and then cruised in to the finsih high fiving everyone in sight!!! What a scene at the finish line, it was awesome, people screaming, yelling, high fiving, man I love this sport!!!

It's hard to say what I would do differently. I need to work at controlling my pace early in the run as this could have paid off bigtime on a day like today. If I had beeen able to keep a steady manageable pace at the start, who knows what would have beeen possible. All in all though I am very happy with this run, and glad I finished it the way I did. I didn't give up on myself and kept trying to get it going and it came around in the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some pizza, ate 2 bites, tossed it, and got into my warm clothes as fast as possible.

Event comments:

Overall I am very happy with how my day went. My goal was 11 hours, I beat it. Can't ask for much more. PLus I took an hour and 45 minutes plus off my first Ironman time. Here are the comparing times from my first Ironman distance race:
Swim: 1:08:40, T1: 3:23, Bike: 6:55:03, T2: 4:47, Run: 4:32:21, Total Time: 12:44:13
Compare that to today and I have made some good progress. Now I just have to keep that going. Thanks to everyone who wished me luck and sent me notes of encouragement all through race week, it means the world to me. And congartulations to all the other BT'ers who had such solid races on Sunday, well done everyone.

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:03:46 | 3800 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/
Overall: 267/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:27
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:41:13 | 180 kms | 31.65 km/hr
Age Group: 23/
Overall: 367/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:02:32 | 42.2 kms | 05m 45s  min/km
Age Group: 19/
Overall: 292/
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-28 3:20 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Subaru Ironman Canada

2008-08-28 3:47 AM
in reply to: #1633936

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Subaru Ironman Canada

Nice job out there. Great work. I see all that training is paying off.

2008-08-28 6:10 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on your day! That's huge improvment..Strong all the way around.
2008-08-28 1:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-28 7:34 PM

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
A true stud, and inspiration!  Great race.  I am so jealous!
2008-08-28 9:47 PM

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Great to see that you beat your goal time, by a lot too! Congrats! Sounds like you had a really great overall race - bit of trouble on the run but you seemed to pull it together by the end.

2008-08-29 7:06 PM

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Congratulations Micheal! You've been working hard and it showed here. Good job!
2008-08-29 7:30 PM

Master
NJ
Great race!! Nice job shaving a ton of time off your bike from your first IM!
2008-08-29 7:42 PM

Master
Victoria BC
Nice job Mike!!  Great race so next year you going to take another hour off?  Just kidding that is amazing and I think I saw you finish on the webcast.
2008-09-02 2:29 AM

Expert
Denver
Thanks everyone, it was an awesome day, good luck for the rest of the year.
Cheers,
Mike
2008-09-02 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1642607

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

Great report and amazing accomplishment!

I hear you on the choco power gels...I find they taste a little like horse...like the smell in a barn...

With respect to all the bathroom stuff on the run, could it be the Cliff Bar? There are a lot of "solids" in there that force the stomach to work when it shouldn't be taxed too much. I love Cliff Bars, but for the longer stuff (especially when there is running after the ride) I stick to gels and powerbars and liquid nutrition...

Great day you had overall, though!

2008-09-02 7:19 PM

Expert
Denver
Yeah, it could have been the cliff bar, that is a good point. I will have to experiment more and see what works better.
2008-09-03 12:13 AM

Over an hour off your previous best Ironman bike split!!  That's awesome.  You'll see some more big chunks of time come off with consistent training and another year in the sport.  Too bad I didn't run into you up there, not that I don't see enough of you already!!! haha.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Ironman Canada Rss Feed