United States
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 16m 29s
Overall Rank = 138/683
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/99
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4am, drove to and setup T1, ate 200 calires at 4am and a Gu prior to swim start.
Event warmup:

Lite stretching, very short swim.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 55s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even though the swim was a wave start, the narrowness of the river meant tight quarters for most of the race. It was pretty squished at the beginning and there was bumping throughout the race. I swam at a pace that I can hold and felt really strong at the finish, good energy level. I pretty much ignored evereyone else and kept to my pace. I was actually surprised how quickly the finish line came up on us on the 2nd lap.
What would you do differently?:

I just need more swimm practice, swim is my weakness.
Transition 1
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

I took the time to get some sun tan loation on and to get the sand off my feet for the socks. It took a really long time to get out of the bike area becaues there was only room for single file getting out of T1 and there were alot of folks there at that time.

Bring a bottle of water to rince feet next go round as this would come back to bite me later.
Bike
  • 6h 33m 1s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out possibly a bit hard, not sure. First lap was faster than 2nd lap, but did not affect the run later, so shrug. The course was mostly rolling hills with only 1 significant climb on it. The hill was fairly steep, but not too long (chalk hill). The first lap I was able to stay in the seat and just crank up it. On the second lap I was getting a stiff neck and was out of aero more than I would have liked. There was a mostly headwind of maybe 10-15 mph for the miles 75-105 ish. The temperature was fine for the entire bike ride. I ended up stopping at the 2nd aid station (mile 30 ish) and then again at the same aid station 56 miles ish later to use the bathroom. There was a line the first time, not the 2nd time. Mile 85 to 100 were the hardest. My neck was stiff, that was the worst of the headwind, the road was not great and there was the anticipation of Chalk hill for the 2nd go round with less umph. It turns out the anticipation of Chalk hill was worse than the actual hill itself. I went out of the saddle a few times and got up it ok. I was so happy to be past it that the next 7 miles were great and well then it was just finish off the bike. I was ready for the run, or at least to be off the bike. My long practice rides are in the 17.5 range, so 17 mph in the IM really good for me. (4k ish total climbing)

I had 1 bottle of Infinate premix (1100 cal) and finished that on the first lap, went to mix water into my dry bottle and it just did not mix well. It took way too long getting it to mix and then just poored what I had into the front bottle, messy. I will totally premix both bottles for my next IM, waisted way too much time here.
Transition 2
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

This went alright, could always go faster.

I had to grab a spare gu from the bottom of my bag because I had to use one at the swim start and had not planned ahead, oops. Not more than 30 sec there. Shoes could always go on quicker.
Run
  • 4h 10m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I was most worried about the run as I had strained both calves slightly 3 weeks before the race and had not done any significant runs since. I just prayed that God would hold my legs together for the run, or at least for long enough so that I oculd finish the race walking. The first 3 miles went great, next 3 feeling good. I noticed that my big toe and 2nd toe on the right foot were rubbing a bit, but figured I must have just missed some grit from the swim or something and it would work its way out. It started to get a bit warmer here, maybe high 80's nothing big, but enough to use some cool water to keep from overheating and to slightly increase the fluid intake. Roughly 4-6 oz per mile with a litle more twice during the race. I did 1 gu every 25-30 minutes and snuck in 2 glasses of gator aid, 1 glass of coke and 1 cliff block for variety in the middle. By the end of the first lap I was feeling good and knew I could finish the IM by the cutoff time if I had to walk, short of having to go to the med tent. I visited the restroom after the first lap (no line). I saw my family near the finish line and was encouraged by that. On the second lap I started to not quite have as much umph slowed a little. By mile 10 I noticed that my feet started to hurt a bit on the bottom, my hamstrings were stiffer than they should be, basically basically how mile 18 of a straight marathon feels, but at mile 10... Ok so just settle in and keep moving. I made it up the hills, so was doing alright. I looked at my watch at the half way mark it it was around 2 hours for the first 13.1, wasn't exactly sure, but hey good for me. At around mile 15 I was wondering how long it would be before I had to walk, not feeling alot of umph. I took in a bit more calories and just rain aid station to aid station, staying cool with a glass of water over the head, in the hat, down the front, back whatever. I wanted to at least make it running untill I passed my family the 2nd time at the end of the 2nd lap, so I just hung in there.

It was cool that the announcer called out your name as you completed every lap 8). Alright out on lap 3, the final lap and both calves are starting to tighten a bit. I knew I can finish it in pleanty of time now, but decide to not walk and see if they would hold. I could feel them tight, but not getting worse, so I kept on. When I hit mile 20.7 (ya odd markings) I knew I could finish the marathon without walking if my calves held. I got a slight side stitch and cut way down on the water, oops took in a bit too much trying to stay cool. I knew my hydration and calories were fine, so no biggie. I hit the last turn around and headed back for the finish. Alot of folks were walking at this point. When I had 3 miles left in the race I started to increase my speed and at 2 miles I continued to build, (not stopping at any of the last 3 aid stations). At 1 mile out I was going at a pretty good clip and my right calf started to threaten a bit more. Well, I just prayed it would hold and brought it home with some good speed. The announcer was awsome, he saw me flying in for a fast finish and asked them to hold up the finishing line tape for me to run through as if I had won the race, in appreciation for my effort at the end. Truely amazing! I finished nearly 3 hours faster than I had hoped to finish.

Not go over 6 oz of water at any aid station with temps below 95F. My splits were 1:17, 1:26, 1:26. I really think that that is the best I could have possibly done given my training and that it was my first IM on questionable calves.
Post race
Warm down:

I knew that I needed some fluids, some calories and a place to sit in fairly quick order. So I got those things. Great food, watermellon, grapes, chicken sandwhich, and chocholate cookies. They had an ice bath, but the temps were dropping and the ice bath would have thrown me into hypothermia. I really needed to get into some dry warm clothes and started to shiver on the way to the car. Ah sweatpants, sweatshirt and heater.... all is good. Well and a couple IBprophin. Oh and drained the nasty blister between my big toe and the 2nd toe... that may take a while to heal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only training. I hit better than expected time for my first IM and am way pleased with everything. It was an exetremely awsome day, clearly a top 5er.

Event comments:

Truely a well run race. Every turn, every aid station, every detail was right on the money. I would happily do it again, but I want to see other race courses.

A simply amazing day. I am sure the reality of the day will not sink in for a while yet, just all smiles.

Last updated: 2009-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:55 | 4224 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/99
Overall: 0/683
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Fairly narrow river dammed up behind the starting line, almost no current, 2 loops, perfect temperature, no wind or waves to speak of.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:33:01 | 112 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course was 2 loops on fairly rough road, trees shadowing the potholes/bumps. There was one spot where there was a complete gap in the pavement between the yellow lines and a couple of cyclists crashed in front of me a ways. Basically your front tire wedges and the bike stops instantly. They held up the rest of the cyclists on the road to let the fire truck and ambulance get to the cyclists before letting us walk our bikes by and continue on (maybe 10 minutes total, at least it felt like 10 minutes may have been only 5 or so). The course was very well marked with vollunteers at every turn. You would have to really try to get lost. The course was very curvy, but not so sharp that you worried about eating trees. You did have to keep your head up a lot so you could navigate the curves and that probably lead to more neck stiffness than on my mostly straight roads back home.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:10:27 | 26.2 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Course: The course was a 3 loop out and back with 1 moderate hill and one somewhat more substantial, but not bad hill, of course you hit them up 3x and down 3x. It was all on a paved road, except half way through they moved the part of the run onto a sidewalk (hate curbs on tired legs).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-04 12:21 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Vineman Full Ironman

2009-08-04 12:43 AM
in reply to: #2325889

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Vineman Full Ironman
I am in awe of your accomplishment......wow, just wow! Congrats!
2009-08-04 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats Ironman!

So glad your calves held up and you were able to keep issue at bay and not have it effect your IM to much.

Impressive and well executed!
2009-08-04 7:44 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
So much for just hoping to break 15 hours. You are awesome.
2009-08-04 10:49 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

Steve, you are one tough cookie!  You earned every minute of that race.  Your training was pretty damn good except for the calf issues.  Great report and congrats Ironman!

2009-08-04 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

Great job!!!  way to keep on moving.....

2009-08-04 11:39 AM

User image

Mesa
Great work!

You had a great run!

We finished within minutes of each other. Nice to have shared the entry fee with you!
2009-08-04 5:44 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Great job, ironman...glad your calves held up and you didn't have to suffer through a long walk (wasn't any fun, take it from me).  Way to go!
2009-08-04 6:58 PM
in reply to: #2326156

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Awesome job bao, you trained your tail off and it paid off.  I was concerned about your legs going into but it went well...good job.
2009-08-04 11:28 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Thanks everyone, you all rock!  People in the real world don't really um understand what it takes, but I know everyone here has been at that point of fatigue or pain where you just do something amazing, be that a super sprint, a long ride or an IM. 
2009-08-05 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA

congrats on finishing!

2009-08-05 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
Great job, Ironman! Way to hold it together on the run and keep the throttle turned up but not blow up. I'm glad the calves didn't limit you.
2009-08-05 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Congratulations, Ironman! You're amazing, Steve. I'm so impressed with all you've accomlished.
2009-08-05 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Well done--great day on a great course.  I'm glad that you did not have to do the "ironman death march!"  Well done.

2009-08-06 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Simply amazing, Steve! Congratulations Ironman!!! Way to finish strong!!!
2009-08-06 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Nicely Done STEVO!!!!

2009-08-06 1:18 PM

User image

, Arizona
Awesome race ironman! I don't think I'll ever be able to push myself as hard as you have been. None the less, I'm inspired that people can even do a race like this. Way to go!
2009-08-06 1:26 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

very impressive race! and race report! nice job! STEVE YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!

2009-08-08 6:46 PM

congrats on becoming an Iron Man and crushing your goals.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Full Ironman Rss Feed