General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Etiquette - what are your pet peeves? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-09-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2423044

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tri Etiquette - what are your pet peeves?
bruehoyt - 2009-09-23 7:07 PM
sand101 - 2009-09-23 7:51 PM
Sounds like someone needs to swim faster. Laughing

my last race over 704 yards: 01m 19s / 100yards

your last race over 300 yds: 01m 34s / 100yards

^^^^^^^ When people do this ^^^^^^^

2009-09-24 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2422032

User image

Middletown, CT
When people create identical threads on BT and slowtwitch.
2009-09-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2423855

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Rogillio - 2009-09-24 9:12 AM

the bear - 2009-09-24 8:50 AM OOOH! Just thought of one:

People who go into threads that ask for pet peeves, and complain because in that thread others are actually listing their pet peeves.

HTFU yourselves guys and skip the threads that ask for things you don't want to hear.

Cool

Spoken like a true disgruntled crumudgen who prides himeself in finding fault!

The subject is tri etiguette - what are you pet peeves.  There is a big difference in etiquette and complaining becuase someone can't make it up a hill and falls over or someone who can't swim the distance free style and has to dog paddle or complaining that the voluneteers that come to help the event are not performing up to your expectations.

~Mike

Pot, kettle. And, yeah, ad hominum arguments are frowned upon here on BT.

Not sure if you read the whole thread (you said you didn't) but the vast majority of responses here are about legitimate breaches of rules and etiquette.

Edited by the bear 2009-09-24 9:28 AM
2009-09-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2423901

User image

Champion
Alabama

the bear - 2009-09-24 9:26 AM
Rogillio - 2009-09-24 9:12 AM

the bear - 2009-09-24 8:50 AM OOOH! Just thought of one:

People who go into threads that ask for pet peeves, and complain because in that thread others are actually listing their pet peeves.

HTFU yourselves guys and skip the threads that ask for things you don't want to hear.

Cool

Spoken like a true disgruntled crumudgen who prides himeself in finding fault!

The subject is tri etiguette - what are you pet peeves.  There is a big difference in etiquette and complaining becuase someone can't make it up a hill and falls over or someone who can't swim the distance free style and has to dog paddle or complaining that the voluneteers that come to help the event are not performing up to your expectations.

~Mike

Pot, kettle. And, yeah, ad hominum arguments are frowned upon here on BT.

Not sure if you read the whole thread (you said you didn't) but the vast majority of responses here are about legitimate breaches of rules and etiquette.

Sorry if you thought that was a slam.  I thought you took pride in your crumudgeonosity.  Since you obviosuly thought that was an attack on you personally (per your Latin reference that I had to look up), I appologize.

There are a lot of beginners and fist timers here who don't post much who can read the OP and the reference list of 10 and learn something.  I went back and read the thread and most of the posts are reiterations of the OP 10 rules, which is fine...but there also a lot of people who complain about people swimming breastroke and whose petpeeve seems to be related to other's performance on the swim or bike.  The first triathlon I did, I swam about 1/2 the distance breastroke.  Sorry if that is your petpeeve, but at the time, it was the best I could do.

~Mike

2009-09-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2422087

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
lisac957 - 2009-09-23 10:43 AM
People who scream "LEFT LEFT LEEEEEFT ON YOUR LEEEEEEEFT" and I am all the way to the right-hand side with no one else in sight. Seriously. I hear you. Continue being fast and passing me while I continue to hug the gutter. No need to scream like a banchi and imply that I'm doing something wrong when I am clearly not.

I pass quite a few people in races on the bike. I only announce my pass when I think it's needed for the safety of all involved. There's just no way I could announce every pass because I'd be yelling "LEFT" continuously for the entire bike leg (since I usually start at the back). My point is that you may be hearing riders announcing passes to others behind you. (The only time that I'm aware of riders behind me is when I move left off my line, before which I always look back/left from habit.)

Another issue that might be happening is that I know when I'm training that I tend to announce very loudly because I don't know if the other rider is riding with music (better safe than sorry). I may also do that in a race just from habit.

I think RDs should be more specific in their rules than "stay right", which means something different to everyone. (Like, ride no more than 2.5 feet from the right edge of safe roadway.) I honestly think that some people believe they are to the "right" when another rider would think they are in the dead center of the lane.

I like the idea of breaststrokers getting their own wave at the very back. IMO, the breaststroke kick is not safe when faster swimmers are approaching from behind in murky water. IMO, with the strongest muscle in the body kicking directly backward where other swimmers heads are located, a kick in the head could knock someone unconscious or result in a neck injury neither of which would be good in open water.

2009-09-24 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
a very interesting thread, it does seem that there are a lot of people who's biggest pet peeve is people swimming breaststroke during the swim portion.

as a swimmer turned triathlete i feel just the opposite.  i think its great that people are out there doing their best to get through the swim portion, for most that is one of the most challenging parts of triathlon when starting out, i applaud their efforts.

i do get frustrated with crowded swims and having to spend time passing people (doing whatever stroke of choice).  but that frustration is purely know that i am spending energy/time passing, not frustrated because of what stroke they are swimming. i also get knocked around and hit all the time but i just see it as a part of the sport.  most of the time its very difficult to see what is in front of you (ie. another person until you are too close). i've hit people on accident before, i try to move away from them the best i can to make sure it doesn't happen a second time.

my biggest pet peeve is just people who are disrespectful of the other people and peoples' belongs surrounding them.  all i ask is that you have respect for your fellow triathletes and treat them the way you would like to be treated. (think this was listed in the top 10)

two races this past season i had the person in the rack space next to me hang their wetsuit in my bike rack location, so when i came in off the bike i had to deal with that, kind of rude in my book.  they knew my spot was there, they watched me set up my transition that morning.

2009-09-24 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2423097

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
nadaswimmer - 2009-09-23 8:36 PM

Seriously? I breaststroke about half the time. I trained hard, paid my money and if I do my best to stay out of the way of the faster swimmers...what seems to be the problem?

Again, I would say it's NOT a peeve of mine, and you aren't doing anything WRONG. It's just that your feet are under the water and I can't tell you are breaststroking. I try to avoid being right behind someone's head, because that's where their body is. But if I am in a normal position behind and beside your head, and you are breaststroking, you will kick me HARD in the stomach and I will not see it coming.

It's just life. I will get kicked. No problem.

But I'm just trying to show the perspective. As a triathlete, I would much prefer if everyone swam freestyle because I could see their feet and make sure I avoid running into them. There's just not enough space out there to swim far enough away from people just in case they are swimming breaststroke.

So again, not a peeve. Just illustrating the perspective of those not swimming breaststroke. I can't think of any decent solutions, except maybe a breaststroking wave (wouldn't work because people switch strokes), a different colored swim cap (same problem), or crystal clear water (this would be nice for many reasons!). Personally, I'm trying to learn to increase my visual skills to be able to pick out a breaststroker nearby in the couple seconds I have my head up while sighting.
2009-09-24 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

One from a tri I did this last weekend, I think it was poor etiquette:

shouting, moaning and throwing masses of sarcasm at the volunteers who refuse to allow the transition to be opened up for collection of bikes until the last person passes through T2. 

Seriously, the rules of the race were clear, the TZ was closed until the last racer was through T2 and the poor guys enforcing this, to stop everyone getting in the way of those athletes still racing took some serious abuse. 

1. He's a Volunteer - be thankful for their help and respect that they are there to make the event for everyone

2. Be respectful to those still racing and stay out of their way

3. MAN UP!!!!  you only had to wait 20 minutes, it was a sprint with under 700 people racing.

rant over........but seriously, respect the volunteers........people that don't = big peeve!!!!

2009-09-24 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I don't say On Your left when I pass unless I think it's needed(going to be a tight pass). Otherwise I just take the pass wide and keep on going without saying a word. On the run I usually can't yell, and don't really recall to much of what's going on around me anway.
2009-09-24 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2424541

User image

Expert
Columbus
dewybuck - 2009-09-24 1:56 PM

1. He's a Volunteer - be thankful for their help and respect that they are there to make the event for everyone

Definitely remember this at races.  Races can exist for relatively little money and reasonably well run due the the efforts of these folks.  The ones you mentioned were doing their job.  Even if a volunteer makes a mistake - remember they are a VOLUNTEER and making it generally better for everyone.  I have had volunteers do the wrong thing - step in my way at transition, throw my belongings in the lost and found when it wasn't lost and fail to bring fluids close enough to grab without a detour - I still thank them for volunteering.  Getting mad at a volunteer is like getting mad at Ed McMahon because he was an hour late with your oversized lottery check. 
2009-09-24 1:45 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
dewybuck - 2009-09-24 12:56 PM

shouting, moaning and throwing masses of sarcasm at the volunteers who refuse to allow the transition to be opened up for collection of bikes until the last person passes through T2. 

Agreed... when I was leaving my volunteer shift at T2 at Ironman Wisconsin this year I saw a handful of racers who were finished and were trying to get into the "gear bag" room to pick up their bags. It was clearly stated everywhere that the room would not open until a certain time (6 p.m. I think). It was 5:40. These guys were throwing a fit because they had to wait 20 minutes while volunteeres worked their hiney's off hauling, sorting, identifying, locating, and tying the 3 gear bags together so the athletes came home with everything they arrived with (I did it for 10 minutes after my T2 shift - that is NOT a fun volunteer job). The athletes were spewing some wicked attitude toward the person manning the door - I felt horrible for them. A few of them literally shoved their way inside like they owned the place. I was stunned.

One guy complained that he was "freezing" while he was being forced to wait. I just wanted to grab him and shove him outside - where it was 85 degrees and sunny. Gah!!! Give the volunteers time to do their job and be respectful of the rules outlined. That is all.

Edited by lisac957 2009-09-24 1:49 PM

2009-09-24 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2424055

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

breckview - 2009-09-24 11:20 AM  (The only time that I'm aware of riders behind me is when I move left off my line, before which I always look back/left from habit.)

THANK YOU. People not doing this is my biggest pet peeve.

2009-09-24 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Based on my two stints as a volunteer captain at the NYC Tri, my pet peeves are

Racers who:
--Make a mess of the aid stations. Take your cup or two, drink or pour them, and drop them. No need to grab double-handfuls of cups and fling empty cups in all directions when you’re done.

--Cross the finish line….and stop. Yes, congratulations, you finished. We’d all like to get on with the rest of the race now, thanks.

--B*tch at volunteers for not holding a cup or a gel at the moment they pass, or for being out of ice or water or whatever. Not that it’s cool to run out of water, but it’s probably not the 16-year old cheerleader or Boy Scout’s fault.

--Ask random questions of volunteers and then get pi$$ed that they don’t know the answer. All the volunteers don’t all share one big communal brain and the chick who’s doing body marking probably doesn’t know what the most recent water temperature reading is. Go ask the lady with the walkie-talkie.

Spectators who:
--Make snarky comments about people racing. Either put on some spandex, get a bike and get out there yourself or STFU. Better yet, just STFU.

--Get competitive with other spectators who are standing nearby. “Oh, really? This is your husband’s first race? My husband is a 9-time Ironman. He’s just doing this race so he can break in a pair of shoes.” Be nice, huh? There are no Kona spots for spectating, last time I checked.

Civilians (non-racers/non-spectators) who:
--Wander defiantly onto the race course as if to say, “You’re not the boss ‘a me. I walk where I wanna walk, when I wanna walk there.” I think NYC is the capital for idiots like this.

--Complain to me about how big an inconvenience the race is. Objection noted, D-bag.

--Steal water or Gatorade off the aid station tables. One the main part of the field went by, it was open season on the water tables for every runner or cyclist in Central park who wasn’t part of the race. Vultures. What would you have done about hydration if there hadn’t been a race going on today?
2009-09-24 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
dewybuck - 2009-09-24 12:56 PM

Seriously, the rules of the race were clear, the TZ was closed until the last racer was through T2 and the poor guys enforcing this, to stop everyone getting in the way of those athletes still racing took some serious abuse. 

2. Be respectful to those still racing and stay out of their way

3. MAN UP!!!!  you only had to wait 20 minutes, it was a sprint with under 700 people racing.

rant over........but seriously, respect the volunteers........people that don't = big peeve!!!!

If I were officiating that particular triathlon, that would have been AT LEAST a time penalty and likely a DQ, depending on the word choice and fervor of the complaint.  Volunteers. to me, are like royalty and should be treated as such.  they should get yes ma'am/sir, no ma'am/sir and Thank you ad nauseum.  They are, without a doubt, the most important members of the race staff.  

3.3 General Conduct.

a. Act in compliance with these Competitive Rules;

b. Conduct themselves in a manner that is not offensive in any way to fellow participants, spectators, officials or volunteers and is considered reasonable and acceptable in the community;

c. Treat all participants, officials, volunteers and spectators with fairness, respect and courtesy;

d. Refrain from the use of abusive language or conduct; and

e. After violating any of the Competitive Rules, report such violation to the Head Referee or retire from theevent.

3.4 Race Conduct.

b.  use of language or conduct directed toward an official. Violations of this Section shall result in disqualification

or a variable time penalty depending on the severity of the violation as determined in the sole discretion of the

Head Referee.

Edited by jdwright56 2009-09-24 2:35 PM
2009-09-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2423620

User image

New user
Lehigh Valley, PA

the volunteers are, without a doubt, the most important people at a race.  they got up at the butt crack of dawn to go "water or heed" for 6 hours.  give them some love.

+1
2009-09-24 2:40 PM

New user
sorry, I didn't read 6 pages worth of replies to see if this was mentioned:

spectators who try to run across the bike course. 

2009-09-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2424787

User image

Champion
Chicago
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-24 2:31 PM
--Steal water or Gatorade off the aid station tables. One the main part of the field went by, it was open season on the water tables for every runner or cyclist in Central park who wasn’t part of the race. Vultures. What would you have done about hydration if there hadn’t been a race going on today?

Ooops. We did this once at the end of the Pride 10K in Central Park back in July.

I can't stand it when someone says `You're almost there.' At Redman I was nearing the halfway turnaround, about to turn onto my second lap and I must've been moving too slow for her liking because she said `Cmon now, pick it up, you're almost finished!' and I said `I'm on my first lap still.' She just responded with a sheepish `Oh.'
2009-09-24 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2424787

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-24 2:31 PM Based on my two stints as a volunteer captain at the NYC Tri, my pet peeves are Racers who:
--Cross the finish line….and stop. Yes, congratulations, you finished. We’d all like to get on with the rest of the race now, thanks. 

Hmmm? Would you rather the racers continue after they've crossed the finish line? Guess I don't understand.
2009-09-24 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2424937

User image

Expert
Columbus
lisac957 - 2009-09-24 4:18 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-24 2:31 PM Based on my two stints as a volunteer captain at the NYC Tri, my pet peeves are Racers who:

Hmmm? Would you rather the racers continue after they've crossed the finish line? Guess I don't understand.
I know what he means. Often the finish shoot is not wide enough for 2 people. If you are putting on your "sprint" to the finish and the guy who finishes just in front of you stops - you have to slam on teh breaks or slow down before the line. I have seen some people essentially stop before the line which is fine for them if they ra out of gas on that final sprint but not so nice for the guy the just "beat" who didn't run out of gas. On some larger races I have seen the finish shoot back up ti before the line which is a real bummer if it is chip timed and you can't get to the mat.
2009-09-24 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2424954

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
bruehoyt - 2009-09-24 3:25 PM

I know what he means. Often the finish shoot is not wide enough for 2 people. If you are putting on your "sprint" to the finish and the guy who finishes just in front of you stops - you have to slam on teh breaks or slow down before the line. I have seen some people essentially stop before the line which is fine for them if they ra out of gas on that final sprint but not so nice for the guy the just "beat" who didn't run out of gas. On some larger races I have seen the finish shoot back up ti before the line which is a real bummer if it is chip timed and you can't get to the mat.

I see. So really he means racers that don't move to the side after they've finished. Not racers who stop when they're finished.

2009-09-24 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

People that use a picnic blanket (not literally) for thier transition area. C'mon folks, it's not like we're camping here.......

2009-09-24 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2423766

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
acumenjay - 2009-09-24 8:38 AM

My biggest pet peeves are whiners.  Suck it up.  Boo hoo, I was swam over.  People yell at me to move over but I think I'm over.  People are in my way and I can't get by.  Honestly, man the F up.  It's part of the event.  For anyone going long whining about that cr*p, try to act like the ironman label that you supposedly earned.  Basically, people are annoyed by everything.  Really surprising for a bunch of Type A OCD athletes...

I'm sort of half joking here...but there is some truth to this.

This is actually a huge breach in etiquette in both triathlon and golf.  No one else wants to hear about every little tiny bad thing that happened to you.  Now, if you had something extraordinary or funny, please tell.

An example of a disaster worth telling about is, "I got a flat 2 miles from the bike finish."  A funny story might be telling about having your tri shorts go with your wetsuit in T1.

And please tell me if you had a great race.  I love hearing that.  <---no sarcasm font!

I do hate peletons in a USAT Tri.

Edited by pga_mike 2009-09-24 4:22 PM
2009-09-24 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2424958

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
lisac957 - 2009-09-24 3:28 PM

I see. So really he means racers that don't move to the side after they've finished. Not racers who stop when they're finished.

No, don't move to the side, keep going forward until you're out of the finish line area. What if every person who finished the race moved off to the side and stood there? Keep moving. Get your towel or medal or little bottle of water, hand your chip off to the chip collection people. Once you're not blocking anyone else, or obstructing the photographers, then you can stop.

You know those people at the mall who get to the top of the escalator, step off, and then just stand there, looking this way and that for the Cinnabon or the J.Crew, forcing the people behind them on the escalator to either scootch around them or bump into them? Like that.
2009-09-24 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2425194

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
jmk-brooklyn - 2009-09-24 5:40 PM
lisac957 - 2009-09-24 3:28 PM

No, don't move to the side, keep going forward until you're out of the finish line area. What if every person who finished the race moved off to the side and stood there? Keep moving. Get your towel or medal or little bottle of water, hand your chip off to the chip collection people. Once you're not blocking anyone else, or obstructing the photographers, then you can stop. You know those people at the mall who get to the top of the escalator, step off, and then just stand there, looking this way and that for the Cinnabon or the J.Crew, forcing the people behind them on the escalator to either scootch around them or bump into them? Like that.

I am usually forced to stop by a volunteer tugging at my timing chip. I suppose I could work on being coordinated/fresh enough to be able to bend down and take it off and throw it at a volunteer while still running, but I'm not at that point in my training yet .

I guess I've never seen a finish chute that was as tight as an escalator! Sounds crazy!

2009-09-24 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

When people draft off me during the swim portion - I know so because they repeditidly slap my feet!  I'm a FOP swimmer so there is usually plenty of open water, yet, they decide sit right behind me. 

They could at least let me draft off them as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Etiquette - what are your pet peeves? Rss Feed  

of 6